This new Grandmother needs a lot of advice - HELP!

snowwhitesmom

DIS Veteran
We are hoping to make a trip with my daughter and her family. Her stepdaughter will be 7 and my grandson will turn one while we are there!Super excited - BUT - I have never taken children this young to WDW - and my daughter is counting on me to make all arrangements! How do I get a stroller? Do I have diapers and formula delivered? No car seats on busses???? Will Garden Grocer deliver our food ahead of time? Do we bring our pack and play or do resorts have them? So many questions! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!

The resorts have pack n plays, you do not need to bring one from home. Some people bring their own fitted sheet though, so you know its washed in a detergent that is ok for the baby. Stroller--you can bring one from home (if flying it is free to gate check on most, if not all, airlines) or you can use a stroller rental company. I've read good things about Magical Strollers but have never used them. The strollers you can rent from Disney are large molded plastic ones, that are too big and hard for a 1 yr old. Plus you can not take them out of the parks.

There are tons of grocery delivery options these days, not just Garden Grocer. Amazon Fresh, instacart, Safeway come to mind. Having diapers, swim diapers, formula and baby food delivery is a good idea. It saves space when flying, plus it's nice to have familiar snacks and beverages in the room.

I would try to stick to both kids schedules as close as possible on the trip. If you make ADRs I would schedule them earlier than normal rather than later--it can take awhile to get seated and be served. I would plan only a handful of must-dos each day and anything else would be a bonus. Sometimes the parks can get overwhelming and the kids just want to go back to the pool.

Random other things: Bring a thermometer. The parade was a surprise hit with my kids. If it is in your budget, get two rooms--separate space can be a blessing on a family trip. You don't have to stay together 100% of the time. Talk about expectations ahead of time. If the baby uses a carrier like a sling or an ergo bring it for the bus or waiting in lines.

We are hoping to make a trip with my daughter and her family. Her stepdaughter will be 7 and my grandson will turn one while we are there!Super excited - BUT - I have never taken children this young to WDW - and my daughter is counting on me to make all arrangements! How do I get a stroller? Do I have diapers and formula delivered? No car seats on busses???? Will Garden Grocer deliver our food ahead of time? Do we bring our pack and play or do resorts have them? So many questions! Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. TIA!
Kingdom strollers is the way to go! They also give a rain cover for the stroller and a cooler. They deliver right to your hotel. I am a grandma of a 5 year old and almost 3 year old and have been taking them to Disney since they were 4 months old. You will have a blast!

Most of the original questions were answered by a previous poster, but I'll expand on a couple of things. Car seats are not allowed on the regular buses, and strollers must be folded up. Seats are limited on the buses, so if you need to sit while holding the little one and the bus has no remaining seats, you can wait for the next one. We've done that on occasion. On the monorail, strollers can usually remain open with kids sitting in them, but sometimes during busy tines, they will request that they be folded. For the Magical Express between the airport and your hotel, you can have strollers and carseats, but they will be placed underneath the bus. Car seats are not permitted to be used on the Magical Express. If you will be travelling anywhere by taxi, uber, etc, the 1 yo will need a car seat. Sometimes, some of these services will allow you to request a car seat when you reserve the ride, but they aren't always available, and you can really guarantee the cleanliness/condition, etc.

In reference to strollers, I'd recommend bringing the stroller the little one uses at home. With him turning 1 during the trio, I expect that he will either be new to walking or not quite there yet, and navigating through the airport will be much easier with a stroller. It can be gate checked for free, which means you can use it up until you board the plane and it will be there waiting for you when you get off. Plus, using a stroller that you are used to is huge when walking 5-10 miles a day in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter