This may be a silly question, but...

Thanks for the responses. Here`s another silly question: do you have to hook up a smartphone to a PC in order to download the app?

Oh, and can we get by with using wifi? We will be renting a smartphone for the duration of the trip, and I think it would be a lot less expensive without a data plan.
Are you certain you can download apps to a rented phone? I never knew you could even rent a phone so no idea what they'd allow on one.
You can use only wifi but be aware it's not everywhere. A lot of the time my phone is unable to connect to wifi, outside the parks and away from the resorts (like traveling to/from). And even inside the parks, there are places where I find no wifi but can connect to the cell towers so have cell service.

On our last trip, we used the app and it was fine.
Yes there could be some connection issues, but you will see those on both the app and the browser.

Last edited:
Oh, and can we get by with using wifi?

I've found the odd dead spot in the parks but it's no big deal - we just move to a better location a few feet away. When you're in some of the buildings while in line, you may lose wifi access but you may also lose cell access too so it may be a moot point. We never bother with an out-of-country plan or roaming package when we go. We just use wifi all over. I haven't used a data package in WDW since 2008. The occasional signal quality issue doesn't seem to impair us at all.

Oh, and can we get by with using wifi? We will be renting a smartphone for the duration of the trip, and I think it would be a lot less expensive without a data plan.
I don't own a smartphone, in fact I don't carry a phone at all and I do just fine, so yes it is possible to visit WDW and have fun without a smartphone.

I don't own a smartphone, in fact I don't carry a phone at all and I do just fine, so yes it is possible to visit WDW and have fun without a smartphone.

We did too, on our last trips. But we found that the FP selection was very thin at the kiosks. Were you able to get good FPs at the kiosks? Does it just depend on how early in the day you are trying to get your fourth or fifth fast pass?

It's definitely possible to use the kiosks, but it's just less convenient, slower, and there's a little more pressure to pick something quickly instead of continuing to try for hard-to-get FP selections. With a smartphone, you can search for your next available FastPass while you're waiting in line. Personally, I don't like the idea of traveling to another country without a data plan, just in case. But Disney wi-fi is (for the most part) good enough.

Were you able to get good FPs at the kiosks? Does it just depend on how early in the day you are trying to get your fourth or fifth fast pass?
I don't use the kiosks. I select my FPs on my PC at home, and because of my situation I'm limited to no more than selecting them 7 days before I go to the parks. I use those 3 FPs and I'm done. I don't try to get anymore, 3 or 4 hours is enough for me. Full disclosure, I live just off property, no little ones and can go anytime.

It's definitely possible to use the kiosks, but it's just less convenient, slower, and there's a little more pressure to pick something quickly instead of continuing to try for hard-to-get FP selections. With a smartphone, you can search for your next available FastPass while you're waiting in line. Personally, I don't like the idea of traveling to another country without a data plan, just in case. But Disney wi-fi is (for the most part) good enough.
It's better in DW than Disneyland. The coverage in Disneyland was lousy.

I find the App far better on site but use website from computer almost exclusively for all pre-trip stuff.

Just wanted to add, we also found the app easier for booking our FP's on at 60 days. We found it a lot more user friendly that the website.

You are going to go through your phones battery before days end. Get a mobile charger to enhance your experience.

You are going to go through your phones battery before days end. Get a mobile charger to enhance your experience.
Good advice. There are all sorts of options. They do sell the Fuel Rods in the parks, although they are cheaper if you buy them elsewhere. You can still exchange them in the parks regardless of where you got them. I got mine at the airport in Philly but swap it out in the parks when I need to. It's also a good idea to carry a charging cord so that when you stop for meals or just to take a break you can plug in for a bit.

New to all this tech at WDW. When people say the App is better than the website, are they accessing both from their phone? I thought the app was the same as the website??? Is Wifi available in all the parks or do you have to turn on your data?
Thanks,
Tony

Also on your phone, when you're on the website, you can view it by desktop instead of mobile. That can make a difference too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter