This may be a silly question, but...

Davey Jones II

DIS Veteran
If we go on our trip with a smartphone, do we have to download the MDE mobile app, or can we just log in to MDE with our password and book FPs that way? Which one works better/faster? It seems to work well from a PC, so why would you need the mobile app (which I hear is buggy)?
Thanks!

I use both and switch back and forth as needed. Last trip (a few weeks ago) I found myself doing a lot of searching/refreshing for same day FPs via the web page as the app was more buggy than prior trips.

I am way more comfortable with the PC and seem to have better success. I use the app to change or modify, but I like the ease of booking on the PC. I'm not as phone savvy.
I would definitely download it for the trip, though. It will be a big help in modifying, canceling, adding, ordering food, checking fp availability and wait times, etc, and even as a point of reference.

I use the app. I find I have more issues with the website than the app. I hear a lot of complaints, but I’ve never had any issues with the MDE app, I find it really convenient.

I use the app for FPs when I am in the parks. I also use the app for ordering food. It really speeds up the QS process during busy times.

I feel that the response time is more constrained by the internet connection, not the app.

And while I am certainly not a power user my sense is that it is not the app that is buggy but the MDE server software. When MDE goes down it goes down for both the app and web access.

New to all this tech at WDW. When people say the App is better than the website, are they accessing both from their phone? I thought the app was the same as the website??? Is Wifi available in all the parks or do you have to turn on your data?
Thanks,
Tony

New to all this tech at WDW. When people say the App is better than the website, are they accessing both from their phone? I thought the app was the same as the website??? Is Wifi available in all the parks or do you have to turn on your data?
Thanks,
Tony

The "App" is the My Disney Experience mobile app for smart phones.

Most of the discussion above is about using the App vs using the Disney website on your mobile device (via the web browser on your smartphone). Disney's website is formatted reasonably well on mobile web browsers (I use Safari) so it's easy enough to navigate around, to some extent.

Both the app and website allow you to do similar things (book FPs, book dining, etc) - just different interfaces. The app has more enhanced features... such as wait times, maps, mobile ordering, details about your resort reservation (if applicable), etc.

There is WiFi in the parks which is generally OK, but not always consistent. I mostly use WiFi but will occasionally turn it off if I'm not getting a good signal or it's loading slow. I'm probably 70% WiFi / 30% data, maybe 60/40 on a bad day... very roughly speaking. You tend to lose the WiFi connection on some rides and inside some buildings.

You can use either. You'll find that when in the parks (and at the Resorts for that matter) the cell and/or wifi thru-put isn't great. The DME app is designed to use fewer resources than a full web page so it might work better.

The information on the app is sized for a smaller screen and is more simplified because of the smaller screen. But there's no reason you can't just log into the website too. Either works. I often use the website if I'm using it in my hotel room on my iPad but the app on my phone.

Thanks for the responses. Here`s another silly question: do you have to hook up a smartphone to a PC in order to download the app?

Oh, and can we get by with using wifi? We will be renting a smartphone for the duration of the trip, and I think it would be a lot less expensive without a data plan.

Thanks for the responses. Here`s another silly question: do you have to hook up a smartphone to a PC in order to download the app?

Oh, and can we get by with using wifi? We will be renting a smartphone for the duration of the trip, and I think it would be a lot less expensive without a data plan.

Nope, just connect to wifi (or data) and open your App Store - or google play if you have an android phone - and download it :)

In the parks, I just use the app on my phone. Rarely had any problems.
Just returned from our trip last week. we did mobile ordering twice with no issues.
Managed all our reservations, modified an ADR.
Moved FPs and booked multiple FPs after the first 3 were done.
While you could use the browser and log into MDE, I would use the app.
It has a lot of nice, easy to use features when you are in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!