This just bothers me to no end

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
So as you know from previous threads my family plans way ahead so any way dh and I are invited to CA next summer and my dad thinks I am selfish because I refuse to sit in a exit row he is bragging how he always pays to sit there I on the other hand don't want the responsibility it's too much for me so his he heroic (sp) for always sitting in the exit row

I mean I just never would call anyone selfish for not volunteering to sit in the exit row just someone that knows there limitations

So as you know from previous threads my family plans way ahead so any way dh and I are invited to CA next summer and my dad thinks I am selfish because I refuse to sit in a exit row he is bragging how he always pays to sit there I on the other hand don't want the responsibility it's too much for me so his he heroic (sp) for always sitting in the exit row

I mean I just never would call anyone selfish for not volunteering to sit in the exit row just someone that knows there limitations
You have mentioned many times you have some type of disability. I don't think you would be allowed to sit in an exit row if you have a disability.
Denise

I have CP on my left side and a learning disability the cp might take me out of the running

But to answer your statement I don't think my dad is aware if who is and who is not eligible to sit in a exit row

So we all agree I not eligible for many reasons but maybe my dad had a point the reason why I did not want to in the beginning is because I would rather relax knowing the only people I am in charge of is dh and my self vrs the whole plan it makes it a lot easier to relax knowing if something happens I am only in charge of two people vrs the whole plan

Knowing your own limitations -- be that physical capability or simply what you are willing to do -- is never a bad thing. I'm trying to teach my DD that very concept. Not volunteering to help with as task that you consider to be more than you wish to handle do is not bad. Whether or not others consider that "selfish" I still consider knowing your limits and owning up to them is very adult.

Enjoy your vacation!

When you sit in the exit row the flight attendant comes by and make sure you are able to be responsible - you have to physically be able to open the airplane door in case of emergency landing. If you can't operate the big latch and lift the door, they won't let you sit there.

IMO it is your dad that is the selfish one.
I can only imagine that he wants the exit row because there is more leg room not to actually help people during an emergency.
If anything you are being unselfish because if I recall correctly you and DH both have some form of disability?
They mention to the people in the exit row that if they do not feel they can assist in an emergency that they can ask to change seats and someone else will be chosen to sit there.

So we all agree I not eligible for many reasons but maybe my dad had a point the reason why I did not want to in the beginning is because I would rather relax knowing the only people I am in charge of is dh and my self vrs the whole plan it makes it a lot easier to relax knowing if something happens I am only in charge of two people vrs the whole plan
I sure see nothing wrong with those thoughts. Let your dad know your feelings. If he still does not buy into your thoughts, just ignore him.

There is a reason they always ask people if they are willing and able to sit in an exit row. I'll be honest. I wouldn't want that responsibility, not because I'm trying to foist it off on someone else. I know how I react in an emergency. I tend to freeze. The exit row needs someone who is ready to take action.

You're not being selfish. You're being honest about what you want and feel you can do. And that is always a good thing. So many times people just aren't honest with themselves. I think it's very mature of you to say that.

And if you do somehow get stuck in an exit row on a plane? Just tell the flight attendant. They will be happy to find you a different seat, and they won't think any less of you for asking them to do so.

I think it's odd for your dad to call you selfish for being honest about your feelings on the matter.

I think it's selfish of him to pressure to sit there because that's where he likes to sit.

If he has paid any attention to the flight attendants then he has to be aware. They are very clear with the responsibilities and limitations.

And I am pretty sure he knows my limitations I would not bet my life on it because he was not as involved in raising me as my mom was but he took me to physical therapy a few times growing up so I would think he has some idea

You really have to stop worrying about things that might not even happen and are so far in the future! You've been worrying about doctors not diagnosing something , people knocking on hotel room windows and doors, who answers phone when you call to report knocking on door etc.

You should NOT be in exit row from what you've said. For the safety of everyone on that plane you need to put on your big girl pants and stand up to your dad and tell him that your can sit there.

You also need to relax- life is too short to stress and worry about things you can't control.

You really have to stop worrying about things that might not even happen and are so far in the future! You've been worrying about doctors not diagnosing something , people knocking on hotel room windows and doors, who answers phone when you call to report knocking on door etc.

You should NOT be in exit row from what you've said. For the safety of everyone on that plane you need to put on your big girl pants and stand up to your dad and tell him that your can sit there.

You also need to relax- life is too short to stress and worry about things you can't control.

What bothered me was being called selfish and not understanding why this was not a typical what if I fly SW so I know I won't be seated in a exit row

I have a rotten relationship with my dad so I feel for you. He criticizes me for the weirdest things. Well, he used to. I haven't spoken to him in nearly 7 years because of it. At a certain point I had to ask myself why I was putting myself through it. And I had no good answer.

If you can't fulfill the requirements then you would be selfish to sit in the row. No one is selfish if they realize they shouldn't be there.

What bothered me was being called selfish and not understanding why this was not a typical what if I fly SW so I know I won't be seated in a exit row
I'm not agreeing with your father, or saying what he said was okay or right, but to offer you a possible explanation for what he said is that he is human. Parents make mistakes and get frustrated just like everyone, and say things out of the frustration. Even though you have a disability, as your parent he most likely does not see you any different than others because he loves you and in his mind you can do it. However, just because he thinks you can does not mean you should. :)

This is an easy one.....you just say to dad...'Gee Dad, I thought you knew that only passengers who are able and willing to do what needs to be done are allowed to sit in those seats. You know that I am not able to physically do what needs to be done in an emergency. That would be very selfish of me to say I could and then, if something awful happened, put people's lives in jeopardy because I couldn't do the job!'
If Dad wants to sit in the exit row, fine. Oh, and by the way, if flying on SW, you can't pay extra to sit there. First come, first served. You sit wherever you and your DH are comfortable sitting.

If he thinks you're capable enough to sit in the exit row, then surely he'd thinks you're capable enough to sit apart from him on the plane. Why don't you both just sit where you want?

Among US domestic carriers, SWA is far out in front of the others in being vigilant about making sure that those sitting in the exit row are clear on the responsibility that comes with the seat, and they don't just take your word for it.

A friend of mine has a DH who is 6'7"; the exit row is the only place on the plane where he is capable of sitting in a single seat, due to the length of his legs. They have to reserve his flight on a separate itinerary and have him board apart from the rest of the family in order to get him into that seat, because SWA flight attendants will NOT let you sit in an exit row if they see you board in a party that includes younger children or anyone with a visible disability. Their reasoning is that if your children are on the plane, your natural impulse in an emergency would probably be to try to get to them. That would be fine for anyone else, but not for the person who has responsibility for opening the exit door and helping people through it. (BTW, on most SWA planes, the overwing doors are not hinged. You have to lift the door out of the frame (while seated!), then pull it in and turn it to clear the frame. Then you either heave it overboard or over the seat back to clear it out of the row. It weighs about 40 lbs.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!