This Is Us- Season 3

Oh, I feel I am going to get flamed. Maybe it's because I secretly struggled with infertility for a decade. I felt so sorry for Kate, not Randall. Kate wanted to keep it a secret, and when the secret was discovered by Rebecca, sure enough Kate felt judged and belittled by Rebecca. She was backed into a corner and blurted out that she just wanted to see her dad's face in her child. That wasn't meant to hurt Randall, and it wasn't meant for Randall's ears either! That girl adored her daddy and she is grasping at the hope of having a baby that will remind her of him. And let me tell you, fertility medications are so powerful. I remember reading that people felt as though they were fine and all of a sudden it was like they were literally hit by a huge wave

I agree with you. Infertility is so so hard because you want something so desperately that comes so easily for others. I also feel like Kate's comment was taken completely out of context. Of course Randall can pass on Jack's love and life lessons. I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, when Kate said that, she was talking biologically. She wants her baby to look like Jack. Like it or not, Randall's children can't look like Jack. He can not biologically pass on anything of Jack.

They showed that a little bit last season. They connected on Facebook years after Jack died. I believe it was the episode where they flashed back to Tess being born. Rebecca was crying and said something to Randall about how all the happy moments will always be a little sad without Jack. She later was on Facebook and posted a photo of baby Tess, and Miguel sent her a message asking how she was doing. She was talking to baby Tess about new beginnings. It was implied that is how they reconnected.
I saw that but I want to know more. There’s a story there, I just hope they tell us!

I saw that but I want to know more. There’s a story there, I just hope they tell us!

I'm sure they will tell that story. I do like the way this show gives us glimpses of what happened in the past and then comes back later to fill in the details. I actually read that the writers already know how the show will end and that parts of that final show have already been seen in the first episodes.

I agree with you. Infertility is so so hard because you want something so desperately that comes so easily for others. I also feel like Kate's comment was taken completely out of context. Of course Randall can pass on Jack's love and life lessons. I don't think anyone is disputing that. However, when Kate said that, she was talking biologically. She wants her baby to look like Jack. Like it or not, Randall's children can't look like Jack. He can not biologically pass on anything of Jack.
Yes, exactly my thoughts. And after Chichi went on and on about how he was so much like William. That wasn't enough? You can't have it both ways Randall. (But I still love you.) Oh and telling Rebecca she wasn't taking care of them (or something like that). That was uncalled for! And Jack would have been so disappointed in that behavior! Kate and Kevin seem to self-harm, where Randall goes all out and causes hurt to other. Dis we already forget his Thanksgiving Day victim speech at the dinner table? That could have been done in private with Rebecca. He kind of likes to make grandiose "You hurt me" speeches.

I feel like the show is setting up for Randall to have an identity crisis and breakdown.
He's already had both of those things but meeting William helped somewhat I think. But he's clearly got more going on. Leave Deja alone with the adoption similarities which seem anything BUT to me. He needs some therapy imo.

So, I just watched this weeks episode. What a gut punch!

I felt so badly for Randall when he found out what Kate said. I don’t think she meant to hurt either Kevin or Randall with what she said, I think she was just thinking out loud. I can see how Randall would take it though. It’s too bad Kevin didn’t say something about how Randall is passing on Jacks wisdom..but that’s not Kevin.

The Toby storyline is getting harder and harder to watch every week because it’s getting closer and closer to reality for me.

I’m glad that I have the distraction of my daughters 18th birthday tomorrow or I would wallow in this episode for a few days. Instead, we’re going out, just the two of us, to have a quiet drink at midnight to celebrate before the big party tomorrow night.

So, I just watched this weeks episode. What a gut punch!

I felt so badly for Randall when he found out what Kate said. I don’t think she meant to hurt either Kevin or Randall with what she said, I think she was just thinking out loud. I can see how Randall would take it though. It’s too bad Kevin didn’t say something about how Randall is passing on Jacks wisdom..but that’s not Kevin.

The Toby storyline is getting harder and harder to watch every week because it’s getting closer and closer to reality for me.

I’m glad that I have the distraction of my daughters 18th birthday tomorrow or I would wallow in this episode for a few days. Instead, we’re going out, just the two of us, to have a quiet drink at midnight to celebrate before the big party tomorrow night.

Tell your daughter happy birthday

Yes, exactly my thoughts. And after Chichi went on and on about how he was so much like William. That wasn't enough? You can't have it both ways Randall. (But I still love you.) Oh and telling Rebecca she wasn't taking care of them (or something like that). That was uncalled for! And Jack would have been so disappointed in that behavior! Kate and Kevin seem to self-harm, where Randall goes all out and causes hurt to other. Dis we already forget his Thanksgiving Day victim speech at the dinner table? That could have been done in private with Rebecca. He kind of likes to make grandiose "You hurt me" speeches.

I agree to an extent, but at the same time, Rebecca needed it pointed out to her that she wasn't taking care of her children. Her comment about it taking all her energy just to get out of bed in the morning really resonated with me. I understand that completely. However, you have to force yourself to be there for the remaining people. Like it or not, those kids were at a pivotal age that really needed more attention. If she couldn't handle providing that attention, she could have at least asked someone to help her. Miguel, another one of her friends, someone needed to be there for the kids.

I can totally empathize with how she was feeling with just loosing jack. If I just lots my husband in a blink of an eye like that I couldn’t tell you what I would do. We have always believed in god first spouse second and children third and I will be honest and say I’ve always had trouble with order. My guess it I just need my whole family together or I’m just go to explode. I honestly don’t know how I could survive without my husband or Sirvive without my kids. My family is everything to me

I agree completely. It's kind of odd to me that Jack would have two biological kids who seem to have very little in common with him personality wise. But maybe we'll see more similarities as the show goes on. So far we just know that there is a common thread of addiction that they all struggled with in different forms.

I hope that the story line with Toby's depression is short lived.

I feel like Randall got all of Jack's best traits and Kevin while did get some of them got most of his bad trait alot of which are Genetic anyway, alcoholism etc. Kate is just really self absorbed. She was such a sweet child but she eventually just became an angry person. She blames her mom for everything and really a lot of her issues were her own choices.

They all need therapy..

They all need therapy..

I agree. - They really could have used right after jack died!

...[Kate] was such a sweet child but she eventually just became an angry person. She blames her mom for everything and really a lot of her issues were her own choices.

I think that brings up more questions, too. - Did she change because of how she was treated over her weight, even back when she was a little kid (like in the pool scene) and didn't really understand those choices in the way that an adult would? Is it all about grief over her dad? Is it a vicious cycle by now involving both?

I just watched both episodes last night and finally able to come to this thread. I thought the reason they gave the football player and his family air time was because Beth’s cousin is the daughter of the football player.

Not sure where Randall and Tess are but I am guessing it is connected to a hotel since it looked like they were going to walk through doors and called Toby to “come down”. So maybe a cateriang hall? Why is just Tess there and not the other dd or Beth?

I really dont like Kate even young Kate was self absorbed last night although she did have a moment with Rebecca where she told her she gained 25 lbs and it was then Rebecca could have begun to address the weight instead she gave an excuse and ate cookies with her.

I also hate to see Toby going down this path. I think it is going to get ugly.

My heart breaks for Randall. He is struggling with identity and where he fits in. White people see him as an African American man, but AA people see him as too "white." I love Randall, he is my favorite on the show, and I hate to see how crushed he is. When that lady told him he was not "one of them" you could see how upset he was. It was the same as Deja said to him last week, "you are trying to prove we are the same, but we're not." Also, it hit him like a ton of bricks when he heard Kate had said he had no biological connection to Jack.

Felt bad for Rebecca and how she is blaming herself for Kates weight and Kevins drinking.

Loved the scene where Miguel spilled the IVF drugs and everyone froze. Then Toby says, "I'm a heroin addict."

Finally all caught up on this show. That line made me laugh so hard. Toby's never been my favorite, I've always thought he tries too hard, but he does have his moments.

I really dont like Kate even young Kate was self absorbed last night although she did have a moment with Rebecca where she told her she gained 25 lbs and it was then Rebecca could have begun to address the weight instead she gave an excuse and ate cookies with her.

Rebecca had always been on Kate for her weight, that night, when they were both grieving, I thought it was really nice for to just let her be for a night.

Rebecca had always been on Kate for her weight, that night, when they were both grieving, I thought it was really nice for to just let her be for a night.

I totally thought it was the right move too. Kate felt safe sharing that she gained 25 pounds and Rebecca could have blown it by lecturing her. Love how Rebecca took a cookie too and talked about how it had been a rough few months.

I am reading Chrissy Metz (Kate) book and holy cow something she said struck me to my core.

She was relating a story of how she had a secret boyfriend when she was younger (he wouldn’t acknowledge her in public). He eventually got a ‘real’ girlfriend and she moved on with her life. A few years ago she saw him in a mall and he was tattoo covered and had four kids and she said hi to him and they talked for a minute and she remembered how old and worn out he looked. As she walked away she thought..maybe he’s not the one who got away. Maybe I am.

That struck me like nothing else in the world ever has. Thinking that makes me feel better about myself. I can’t explain it, but wow.

I now wish I’d met here when she was here working on a movie.

I just watched both episodes last night and finally able to come to this thread. I thought the reason they gave the football player and his family air time was because Beth’s cousin is the daughter of the football player.

Not sure where Randall and Tess are but I am guessing it is connected to a hotel since it looked like they were going to walk through doors and called Toby to “come down”. So maybe a cateriang hall? Why is just Tess there and not the other dd or Beth?

Well it looks like Tess is either a social worker or the head of an adoption agency or something because she was helping a boy last season find a family and then her dad came for her and said they had to visit "her"

Just watched tonight's episode. After the last episode, I had a strong feeling that Randall's next step would be to run for political office. Looks like that hunch was definitely right. It will be interesting to see how he and Beth work this out with her losing her job and William's advice to her about making Randall be the "bass" for awhile.

I liked the dream sequence with Kate and her younger selves. Especially how she spoke to teen Kate and assured her that everything would be okay and that she would be a mom someday. Feel like there was strong foreshadowing there and that she will be a mom, though still wondering if it will end up being through adoption.

I don't think I can watch next week's episode. I know it's an important piece of Jack's history, but I don't do well with war stuff like that. Will probably just read the synopsis of the episode later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!