This Is Us- Season 3

I haven’t read the thread so forgive me if some of these things have been said..I’m commenting as I’m watching

• it’s bugging me that they are saying things are 20 clicks away. That’s short for kilometres and the US isn’t metric.

• good to hear some Guess Who (no sugar tonight). They are from Winnipeg and the drummer actually lived on my parents street.

• did anyone else notice that in the picture of a young Jack and Nick that the actor looked exactly like Kevin? If it was on purpose it’s amazing that the show goes to that much detail.

• they did a good job or making Jack look younger during the war years.

• why was Jack not worried about the draft? Wasn’t he just as likely to get picked as his brother?

• huh, my first brothers birthday was the #2 pick

• I think his parents know he’s trying to defect to Canada or whatever the term is.

• very cool that Nicky said I wonder what it would be like to go backwards and that’s exactly how this episode is going. A few minutes ago I thought it reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where it started at the end.

• I bet Nick is going to be born at 11:59..just short of possibly not being drafted. One minute away from a totally different life..

Ok, it just ended and I feel like I missed something. Maybe they were just showing all the babies born that were going to be drafted. I’ll read the thread now for the comments.

why was Jack not worried about the draft? Wasn’t he just as likely to get picked as his brother?

Maybe they were just showing all the babies born that were going to be drafted.

I believe the doctor was saying that Jack's medical condition would make him a 4F.

I thought they were showing all of the babies who were going to be drafted. It seemed like an anti-war statement. Or maybe opposition to that particular war.

This episode was depressing, but not in the way I was expecting. I thought it would be more emotional seeing Jack's time in the war but instead it just came off as boring (at least to me).

I thought it was a super boring episode too.

I haven’t read the thread so forgive me if some of these things have been said..I’m commenting as I’m watching

• it’s bugging me that they are saying things are 20 clicks away. That’s short for kilometres and the US isn’t metric.

• why was Jack not worried about the draft? Wasn’t he just as likely to get picked as his brother?

• huh, my first brothers birthday was the #2 pick

• I think his parents know he’s trying to defect to Canada or whatever the term is.

• I bet Nick is going to be born at 11:59..just short of possibly not being drafted. One minute away from a totally different life..

Ok, it just ended and I feel like I missed something. Maybe they were just showing all the babies born that were going to be drafted. I’ll read the thread now for the comments.

Not sure on the clicks, but I know I King Kong Skull Island, set in the same time era, the military characters in that movie also used clicks.

Jacks heart condition made him ineligible for the draft.

I think his mom knew for sure, but I don't think his dad did.

Nick was born at 11:58. Funny he and my dad share the same birthday, that was a bit surreal to hear the date called.

I think "click" does stand for kilometer and is somewhat commonly used in the military. Most of us down here are familiar with the metric system, and it's the world-wide standard for certain things and in certain industries. Military positioning might be one of those things, especially if trying to coordinate with allied forces.

I also thought it was a boring episode. I did like how they worked backwards in time, but I found myself drifting to other things while it was on and I have never done that with this show.

One thing I did learn though was that I have a new level of hatred for Jack's father.

I was mesmerized by this episode. Could not take my eyes off the screen. I even plan to watch it again tonight. Like a poster above, I thought it was the best episode of the season so far. I wasn't looking forward to the Vietnam story arc, but now I hope we see more. I appreciated the acting, the backstory, and the additional insights into the Pearson family. The war ended when I was an infant, so I never experienced what it was like to live with the draft looming over anyone in my family, and I thought this show carefully brought that to life for those of us who can't remember that time. This made me think of the people I do know who were draft eligible back then and what a brief moment of life might have been like for them. It was chilling watching the camera pan across all of those babies in the hospital nursery, knowing what the future held for them.

I loved it. I loved the backstory we got. And Jack's dad seemed like a GOOD guy when Nick was born. What changed him?

Addiction* (alcoholism, drugs, overeating) runs in the Pearson family, and we know Jack's dad starts drinking at some point, turning him into an abusive, ugly, mean drunk. I wonder if we will get to see what caused him to take that first drink? It's sad and scary to think that one decision in time can lead to so much pain for so many people over the course of a lifetime.

*Edited to change alcoholism to addiction.

Last edited:
THE Vietnam Years was my era and while we are Canadians we watched what was happening very closely. Funny how music brings back old feelings. Recognized the Guess Who, from our hometown. they used to play at our community club teen dances. We got to see that Jack’s grandfather was a drinker, then his father. I’m no expert on the subject but we know it runs in families. We all face heartbreak, disappointment and loss in different ways. They lost a son and brother in the war. I thought it was a good way to show the backstory.

This made me think of the people I do know who were draft eligible back then and what a brief moment of life might have been like for them. It was chilling watching the camera pan across all of those babies in the hospital nursery, knowing what the future held for them.

I was only a year old when the draft in this episode took place, but since Nick and my dad have the same birthday, I wondered if my dad was watching that same broadcast waiting, and if he was indeed drafted. It's something I never really asked him. I know he did not see any combat, but he was in the Army.
Agreed, that scene with all the babies in the nursery was really moving and sad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter