This is probably a bizarre question regarding bag I can bring on plane.

Farro

Argh.
I know you are allowed one personal item (besides purse).

Do the dimensions of the bag matter if it's cloth and can be smushed up to fit under seat? I know the dimensions are 9 by 10 by 17, but my bag is taller than 17, it's 18 inches not counting straps when hanging from my shoulders. When it's sitting it flumps over and is probably 12 inches tall.

And there's no requirement it has to zip closed or anything, right?

I know this is weird, but I have a very specific bag I want to bring on plane. :rotfl:

Sounds similar in size to a hobo bag and goodness knows I've never been questioned about taking one on a plane.

Sounds similar in size to a hobo bag and goodness knows I've never been questioned about taking one on a plane.

Thanks! Here's a pic for reference - should be fine, right? Love this board, helps with everything, not just Disney! :)

Resized_20190717_182158.jpeg

I wouldn’t worry about it- many briefcases, backpacks and purses push outside what the website says.

As long as it stuffs all the way under the seat and does not intrude in the foot area, you are good. I have only flown on one airline that actually used the measurement basket and that was an overseas budget airline. All they cared about was that it squished fully into the basket. I fly Frontier frequently and it is surprising what can get under a seat.

I know you are allowed one personal item (besides purse).

Just a little clarification: you are allowed 1 carry on & 1 personal item. Your purse counts as your personal item. So if you are bringing an actual carry on suitcase too, make sure you leave room for your purse in that bag. I have heard the gate agents say specifically to consolidate everything, including purses down to 2 items only.

Each airline has their own rules and what you can carryon. Many people now carry their luggage on the airplane to avoid paying the checked baggage fee. Particularly on smaller aircraft, there is limited overhead bin space if the items don't fit under your seat. If you sit in row 1, there is no seat in front of you, so you have to put all items in the overhead bins. Best to check the airline website you are flying for their particular rules/dimensions. Some airlines enforce those rules more then others.

Some airlines enforce those rules more then others.

This is a key point. If you're flying one of the major carriers (American, Delta, Southwest, United), you're probably going to be fine. However, if you're on an ultra-low-cost-carrier (Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit), you're more likely to have your bags scrutinized. That's true because those airlines operate under a different business model.

Just a little clarification: you are allowed 1 carry on & 1 personal item. Your purse counts as your personal item. So if you are bringing an actual carry on suitcase too, make sure you leave room for your purse in that bag. I have heard the gate agents say specifically to consolidate everything, including purses down to 2 items only.

Thanks! We check our two bigger pieces and then Micky brings the carry on piece and his (small, fits under seat) backpack. So I'm okay with my bag and my purse. And I can just throw my purse in my bag if I have to.

Each airline has their own rules and what you can carryon. Many people now carry their luggage on the airplane to avoid paying the checked baggage fee. Particularly on smaller aircraft, there is limited overhead bin space if the items don't fit under your seat. If you sit in row 1, there is no seat in front of you, so you have to put all items in the overhead bins. Best to check the airline website you are flying for their particular rules/dimensions. Some airlines enforce those rules more then others.

My bag (pictured) certainly doesn't need to go in the overhead bin. :p
I can smush it and it will fit under seat easily.

Thanks!

This is a key point. If you're flying one of the major carriers (American, Delta, Southwest, United), you're probably going to be fine. However, if you're on an ultra-low-cost-carrier (Allegiant, Frontier, Spirit), you're more likely to have your bags scrutinized. That's true because those airlines operate under a different business model.

We'll be flying a major carrier, thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter