This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Shocked .. thought they would go the reverse direction with this and offer less hours.
BUT EMH hours in 3 of the parks EVERY day? (if I read that correctly) .. they must be anticipating some huge crowds and want to spread it out!
But only in the morning, us west coasters want evening EMH every day, after all 9 PM there is like 6 PM to us and 6 AM is like 3 AM.

Yep thanks, that's an amazing advantage onsite. Starting to look myself. :yay:

35 extra hours a week?

Well minus however many there would have been.
I didn't do the math until you mentioned it. That is great! I am going to have to rearrange my schedule with ADRs but that's ok. And I will have to let the family know how early we are getting up now!!

I wonder how Disney is handling additional staffing for this many hours.

35 extra hours a week?

Well minus however many there would have been.

FWIW, the total EMH hours per typical week looks like this for October 2019 (Sept 2019 still has 2 hours per week of MK PM EMHs):

Oct Regular vs 2019 EMH Hours.png

That’s a big net increase. Do you think they will add more EMH hours in September? If they do, it seems weird to me that they added them to the later month first.
The 2 hours of PM emh's are in addition to the morning hours.

Just need to figure out how to handle this with my fall trip (either mid Sept or mid October).

Getting up to be at a park at 6am is not really an option with toddlers (and a wife who enjoys her sleep).

Do we try DHS sometime before 9 to see how it is and bail to another park if it looks too crowded?

I think we may just plan on going early as much as we can to all three parks and call it a day early in the afternoon for rest and pool time and get to bed early for the next morning.

Just need to figure out how to handle this with my fall trip (either mid Sept or mid October).

Getting up to be at a park at 6am is not really an option with toddlers (and a wife who enjoys her sleep).

Do we try DHS sometime before 9 to see how it is and bail to another park if it looks too crowded?

I think we may just plan on going early as much as we can to all three parks and call it a day early in the afternoon for rest and pool time and get to bed early for the next morning.

This is my issue too; my kids are up early but not THAT early. I think our new plan is to do our first two days as regularly planned and if the parks are super crazy crowded we'll suck it up and use the EMH for the rest of the trip. Not 6am though at DHS, that's not happening lol

Well I guess I’ll still be a complainer because parks regularly opening at the crack of dawn pushing rope drop way early but still only having one night (yes, actually one) during a 6 night stay where MK is opened past 6 PM still stinks.

I really wish they could have added some of these additional hours in the evenings. In any of the parks, really.

Yea tough to plan for some. We are all adults so its an easier call.

I look at this as a "no planning necessary" situation.

Meaning SWGE isn't FP anyway, so no matter what park your planning for the day-you can kick start any day of the week at EMH DHS "IF" part or all of your party wants to go check it and TSL out.

I suspect there may be families (or parts of families) that start almost every day at DHS during these months, then move on to a different park later.

That's our plan anyway.

Last edited:
Yea tough to plan for some. We are all adults so its an easier call.

I look at this as a "no planning necessary" situation.

Meaning SWGE isn't FP anyway, so no matter what park your planning for the day-you can kick start any day of the week at EMH DHS "IF" part or all of your party wants to go check it and TSL out.

I suspect there may be families (or parts of families) that start almost every day at DHS during these months, then move on to a different park later.

That's our plan anyway.

All these early mornings don’t fit so nicely into our tentative plans, so for us taking advantage of them probably means cancelling some breakfasts, later ADRs, and evening plans at Disney Springs.

Thanks for the money saver, Disney!

Well I guess I’ll still be a complainer because parks regularly opening at the crack of dawn pushing rope drop way early but still only having one night (yes, actually one) during a 6 night stay where MK is opened past 6 PM still stinks.

I really wish they could have added some of these additional hours in the evenings. In any of the parks, really.

It’s unfortunate but they’re doing it this way because there will be a lighter demand that early. Magic hours every night for Pandora was great, but far fewer took advantage of that than would for a Star Wars. But at least they did add hours, I also would’ve preferred later hours but I’ll take what I can get.

All these early mornings don’t fit so nicely into our tentative plans, so for us taking advantage of them probably means cancelling some breakfasts, later ADRs, and evening plans at Disney Springs.

Thanks for the money saver, Disney!

You have 6AM ADR's?

It's likely you can knock out SWGE by 7AM. The other days could go unaffected.

I think that's the beauty of having the option every single morning.

You have 6AM ADR's?

It's likely you can knock out SWGE by 7AM. The other days could go unaffected.

I think that's the beauty of having the option every single morning.

We have 730 AM ones, I have no interested in attempting to race to get to early ADRs, especially not knowing how long GE could take even at 6 AM.

The early opening of MK and AK also messes with the pre-opening ADRs we had in those areas.

I’m glad by the time we go there will hopefully be reports on what crowds are looking like and we can decide if we need to take advantage of the early hours.

It’s unfortunate but they’re doing it this way because there will be a lighter demand that early. Magic hours every night for Pandora was great, but far fewer took advantage of that than would for a Star Wars. But at least they did add hours, I also would’ve preferred later hours but I’ll take what I can get.

I don’t understand. Why wouldn’t they offer at least a few extra pm hours at Star Wars if there would be more of a demand for it?

And why not add a few at MK and AK?

I mean I don’t have a dog in the hunt so don’t really care but it will likely cause a kink in more than a few plans. If I did have a trip planned, not so sure the 6 am opening would appeal to us. Honestly I get up at 5:30 every morning for work. Dh is up anywhere from 2-4 am while working. Not interested in doing the same on vacation. But it sounds great for those that want the early morning time. Glad Disney has a plan in place to deal with the crowds they anticipate. And hoping they get the crowds they anticipate.

I don’t understand. Why wouldn’t they offer at least a few extra pm hours at Star Wars if there would be more of a demand for it?

I mean I don’t have a dog in the hunt so don’t really care but it will likely cause a kink in more than a few plans. If I did have a trip planned, not so sure the 6 am opening would appeal to us. Honestly I get up at 5:30 every morning for work. Dh is up anywhere from 2-4 am while working. Not interested in doing the same on vacation. But it sounds great for those that want the early morning time. Glad Disney has a plan in place to deal with the crowds they anticipate. And hoping they get the crowds they anticipate.

If the demand is too high they won’t be able to handle the crowds. Pandora worked because the line decreased significantly during those hours, I managed to do Flight of Passage 2-3 times per hour in them. If the crowds for Star Wars are as expected, that wouldn’t be the case for these first few months when they’ll be doing the hours. Early hours simply gives them more control. If we wind up with the projected 5-8 hour lines regularly, those evening magic hours would never really get a shorter line.

I can deal with a super early morning for GE knowing for us it will be a one time thing.

I’m bummed they’ve pushed rope drop to 7 AM at MK and AK impacting most of our other days, and that even after the addition of so many hours we still have so few nighttime hours anywhere. I’ll say over and over again how disappointing one single close past 6 PM is for MK in a 6 night vacation, and that’s only 9 PM. Even during a party season that’s IMO ridiculous.

We have 730 AM ones, I have no interested in attempting to race to get to early ADRs, especially not knowing how long GE could take even at 6 AM.

The early opening of MK and AK also messes with the pre-opening ADRs we had in those areas.

I’m glad by the time we go there will hopefully be reports on what crowds are looking like and we can decide if we need to take advantage of the early hours.

Wow that's a lot of early ADR's. Yea if you have every day locked down, then this won't help you.

For us, we would cancel at least one just because of this news and check out SWGE/TSL.

Actually I can't think of any dining I would choose over SWGE with lower crowds.

I doubt we are alone with this news.

And yes, news will travel fast on how its going.

Wow that's a lot of early ADR's. Yea if you have every day locked down, then this won't help you.

For us, we would cancel at least one just because of this news and check out SWGE.

I doubt we are alone with this news.

Sorry I meant the ones we do have are at 730 AM!

We’ll probably do our one DHS super early morning, but it’s the 7 AM openings at the other parks that will mess with our plans. I hope they prove to not be necessary but with the crowds descending on WDW because of GE I’m not hopeful.

I can deal with a super early morning for GE knowing for us it will be a one time thing.

I’m bummed they’ve pushed rope drop to 7 AM at MK and AK impacting most of our other days, and that even after the addition of so many hours we still have so few nighttime hours anywhere. I’ll say over and over again how disappointing one single close past 6 PM is for MK in a 6 night vacation, and that’s only 9 PM. Even during a party season that’s IMO ridiculous.

Those MK nights that close at 6, are they all for parties? Either the villian after hours or MNSSHP? That's the bad part of going in a party season.

Sorry I meant the ones we do have are at 730 AM!

We’ll probably do our one DHS super early morning, but it’s the 7 AM openings at the other parks that will mess with our plans. I hope they prove to not be necessary but with the crowds descending on WDW because of GE I’m not hopeful.

Ah I got ya. Yea that is a blow to those plans.

Well it is kinda "lower" season, maybe it will not be that bad. Or try to move some times if poss.

But yea this SWGE deal will not last long IMO. Were taking advantage for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter