This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Luxury is completely subjection by its very definition. Olive Garden, a Toyota, or any vacation at all can absolutely be considered a luxury item. Because every individual gets to define their own luxury items or experiences. The dinosaur of a computer I'm using to discuss this topic is a luxury item to many. Having internet access at home is a luxury to many.

Chanel may be considered a luxury item to you or to me. But for some, it's just another handbag.

Luxury goods are associated with the wealthy and affluent. There is not a specific price that associates itself with luxury goods, but I think it’s pretty clear brands catering to the masses and marketing their products at the middle class don’t fit the definition. Olive Garden and Toyota are very clearly not luxury brands, that doesn’t negate that their products are out of reach for some.

It is not entirely subjective. McDonalds is not a luxury good just because someone can’t afford it. The definition doesn’t hinge upon an individuals desire to have the thing.

Have to agree with this. We were at Beach Club over spring break for Star Wars race weekend, and I am pretty sure the place was close to sold out. Never had an issue finding a parking space any time of the day or evening. The parking fees are ridiculous and just a money grab by Disney. On two seperate nights we drove to AK Lodge and GF for dinner and both those lots had plenty of parking spaces available as well.

If the room rates were comparable to offsite resorts, then I could probably swallow the parking fee, but we all know that is not the case. The only time I have ever seen hotels charge for parking is in downtown locations, or in locations where space is at a premium. Once again, not the case with Disney.
Now now, you don't want to get a feeling of being entitled...
:rolleyes1

Disney is not in our 2019 or 2020 plans (although that could easily change) so I am just going to wait until we plan to determine what the new changes are at that time. Right now, I don't know think I would want to pay for the after hours parties but by the time we go again, ODS will be in high school. There are only so many more Disney trips we will take before college so I may consider splurging on some extras. We love the parks at night!

Wow, this conversation has gone so off the rails, lol! I just came in to see if there were any updates on the switch from MK evening EMH to morning EMH without having to go check the WDW site myself. The last several pages hardly mentioned EMH at all though.

Has anyone heard or seen anything new in that regard? I know some were questioning whether it was a one week switch (possibly for a private event) or if it would continue throughout October and beyond.

The parking fee definitely has affected how we plan. We have annual passes. We stayed at AKL last year and booked it before the parking fee went into effect when we drove. We stayed at CBR last week and flew. But we are going back next month and driving, so we are staying off property because for less money, we can have a larger room, free parking, breakfast included, a microwave in the room- which may not seem like a big deal, but we try to eat some meals in our room so that we can go to Disney more often. And when we do eat out, we aren't stuck spending $50+ per meal on counter service meals. We see very little value in EMH. It was fantastic 10 years ago, but not so much now. And my luck with planning our fast passes at the 60 day mark for our CBR trip was about the same as 30 day out availability, so not a huge perk there, either. We're not saying goodbye to Disney, but if we are driving, we see zero value in staying on property.

Wow, this conversation has gone so off the rails, lol! I just came in to see if there were any updates on the switch from MK evening EMH to morning EMH without having to go check the WDW site myself. The last several pages hardly mentioned EMH at all though.

Has anyone heard or seen anything new in that regard? I know some were questioning whether it was a one week switch (possibly for a private event) or if it would continue throughout October and beyond.

It’s showing only morning magic hours for both the 2nd and 9th of October on the calendar, so not just one week now. But no official information regarding it. And nothing new has come out on this thread.

We love the parks at night!

I do think it's worth pointing out that none of this means that the parks won't ever be open at night. We're talking about two extra resort-visitor-only hours at MK once a week. Even with if you're talking about DAH nights, they don't start until 9 or 10. The party days close at 6, but the park is still open after dark more often than it's not.

I know that's not what people want, and I know it doesn't exactly fit the ongoing narrative, but it's not as though the MK is shiutting down at sunset from now on unless you buy an extra ticket.

Last edited:

We don’t drive so we’re unaffected by the parking fee. I just assumed they added “the industry standard fee” to help compensate for revenue lost when people eat off site for cheaper or discourage people altogether to day trip to non Disney parks.

That being said, just because I’m not personally affected by that fee doesn’t mean I’m not empathetic towards those that are. Everyone has a breaking point. Everyone. I’m not going to judge if someone’s is different than mine.
This!! 100%. The parking fee doesn't affect me either but I completely sympathize with people who it does affect. I truly don't know why people have completely lost compassion for one another. I see it time and time again on the boards when Disney makes a change that completely changes a families vacation. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Disney is alienating their locals, (especially AP locals) they have no choice but to drive there. It has been said many times that sooner or later the economy will take a hit and Disney will be begging locals to come back to the parks.

This!! 100%. The parking fee doesn't affect me either but I completely sympathize with people who it does affect. I truly don't know why people have completely lost compassion for one another. I see it time and time again on the boards when Disney makes a change that completely changes a families vacation. Just because it doesn't affect you doesn't mean it doesn't suck.

Disney is alienating their locals, (especially AP locals) they have no choice but to drive there. It has been said many times that sooner or later the economy will take a hit and Disney will be begging locals to come back to the parks.
I have no problem being empathetic when ppl’s vacations are affected. When I (and others) get defensive is when ppl say it’s other ppl’s fault & their spending habits that Disney is changing &/or that those who still find value & enjoy their experiences are “suckers” or naive. That’s the part the keeps getting lost in the convo.

I do think it's worth pointing out that none of this means that the parks won't ever be open at night. We're talking about two extra resort-visitor-only hours at MK once a week. Even with if you're talking about DAH nights, they don't start until 9 or 10. The party days close at 6, but the park is still open after dark more often than it's not.

I know that's not what people want, and I know it doesn't exactly fit the ongoing narrative, but it's not as though the MK is shiutting down at sunset from now on unless you buy an extra ticket.

I’m going in October. There are parties 4 nights a week. Taking away EMH gives even less nighttime hour options at MK. I think it’s a big deal especially during party season. MK EMH were always nice because you usually didn’t have to forgo evening hours at another park to go.

It is what it is, I’m just glad so far no FP bombs have been dropped.

Yeah, if Disney were smart they would have extended free resort parking to APs at bare minimum, at least if they were thinking ahead at all.

I’m going in October. There are parties 4 nights a week. Taking away EMH gives even less nighttime hour options at MK. I think it’s a big deal especially during party season. MK EMH were always nice because you usually didn’t have to forgo evening hours at another park to go.

It is what it is, I’m just glad so far no FP bombs have been dropped.
I do tend to agree, as I said my previous posts were pointing out Disney's side besides making it out to be just a cash grab. I don't agree with their approach, but I can still see it from their perspective.

I have no problem being empathetic when ppl’s vacations are affected. When I (and others) get defensive is when ppl say it’s other ppl’s fault & their spending habits that Disney is changing &/or that those who still find value & enjoy their experiences are “suckers” or naive. That’s the part the keeps getting lost in the convo.

I think you are taking things too personally.

I used the word "sucker" but toward ME not anyone else. I said there comes a time when you (general you) feel the word sucker appear on your forehead when you go through the gates. If YOU don't feel like a sucker then that statement doesn't mean you.

The statements about if no one paid for DAH, they wouldn't take out EMH is just a fact. I doubt anyone thinks everyone will suddenly stop paying for it. Disney offers things because someone is going to buy it. But the fact still remains.

We stayed at Beach Club last year over Thanksgiving Week, one of the top 10 busiest weeks of the year. The parking lot at Beach Club was probably no more than half full. Anyone on here that is trying to justify the parking fee as something Disney has to do because it's 'Industry Standard' has been drinking way too much of the Mickey Kool-Aid. Disney's parking situation is not remotely the same as a hotel on International Drive. To compare the two is ridiculous.

If Disney hotels are "just like" or "no better" than a Motel 6 or a Days Inn, why do you stay on property?

I saw 3/21/2018 coming the day Disney began to charge for Valet Parking. How many on here are comparing Disney hotels to offsite hotels like Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, Hampton, Holiday Inn, Fairfield, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.? You can't compare them with most offsite hotels. You get the parks and all the dining options, plus other amenities.

...Disney's parking situation is not remotely the same as a hotel on International Drive. To compare the two is ridiculous.

Is it? What do the Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Boardwalk and the Yacht & Beach Club have in common? They're all Convention Hotels along with the Swan and Dolphin. Parking is always a "top of this list" negotiating point for any convention. I know, I organized a national convention in 2017. First thing to go was the parking fees. Next was the resort fees. These hotels are exactly like the ones I mentioned on I-Drive. They are all convention hotels. We did this for Coronado Springs, the Swan, the Hilton in DS, the Rosen Plaza and the Hilton and Hyatt on I-Drive. Just because someone stays at CS or BW because they like the theming doesn't negate the fact that they are convention hotels.

The problem Disney has always had is people not paying to park at the theme parks. They would park at any MK resort and hop on the monorail or park in Disney Springs and hop on a bus or park in any resort and do the same thing. Does anyone remember the days where if you were staying at a Disney resort you didn't pay for theme park parking? Show them your card key and they waved you in. I had a friend who kept a collection of keys in his car. I know of several families who would park at any All Star resort and take the bus to a theme park. Another would park at the Campgrounds, PO or CBR and hop on a bus to Epcot or DHS. So they decided to charge for resort parking to make up for the lost income from theme park parking.

Also they are trying to incentivize people to not drive to WDW. The issue, and it happens all over Florida, is tourists driving and not knowing where they are. Every time I drive on Buena Vista Dr. I see an accident. On World Dr. south of US 192 the speed limit drops to 35 miles per hour yet drivers who are lost go flying down the road towards I-4/Celebration. Disney is dong more than a money grab; they are trying to reduce cars on the roads on property.

My comment wasn't directed at you, I am just sick and tired of people being so rude just because they are sitting behind a computer screen. I am 100% fine is someone has a different option than me, but the snarky rude comments aren't necessary. That includes calling someone a sucker or naïve for buying the extras. It was nice to see a comment that was completely selfless.

I see the paid extras from both sides. I completely hate that Disney is cutting into regular park days with all the extra ticketed extras. The magic kingdom is closing at 6:00pm on 4 nights during my September trip for the Halloween party and if they decide to extend villains after dark it will be 5 nights it closes early out of my 7 night stay. I think this that is excessive.

On the other hand I don't blame people for buying the tickets, if I hadn't already bought my annual pass I would consider buying a few extra tickets instead of the regular daily passes. I think people are upset because the prices keep going up at an alarming rate and the value keeps going down.

If Disney hotels are "just like" or "no better" than a Motel 6 or a Days Inn, why do you stay on property?

I saw 3/21/2018 coming the day Disney began to charge for Valet Parking. How many on here are comparing Disney hotels to offsite hotels like Courtyard, Hilton Garden Inn, Hyatt Place, Hampton, Holiday Inn, Fairfield, Days Inn, Comfort Inn, etc.? You can't compare them with most offsite hotels. You get the parks and all the dining options, plus other amenities.

Is it? What do the Contemporary, Coronado Springs, Boardwalk and the Yacht & Beach Club have in common? They're all Convention Hotels along with the Swan and Dolphin. Parking is always a "top of this list" negotiating point for any convention. I know, I organized a national convention in 2017. First thing to go was the parking fees. Next was the resort fees. These hotels are exactly like the ones I mentioned on I-Drive. They are all convention hotels. We did this for Coronado Springs, the Swan, the Hilton in DS, the Rosen Plaza and the Hilton and Hyatt on I-Drive. Just because someone stays at CS or BW because they like the theming doesn't negate the fact that they are convention hotels.

The problem Disney has always had is people not paying to park at the theme parks. They would park at any MK resort and hop on the monorail or park in Disney Springs and hop on a bus or park in any resort and do the same thing. Does anyone remember the days where if you were staying at a Disney resort you didn't pay for theme park parking? Show them your card key and they waved you in. I had a friend who kept a collection of keys in his car. I know of several families who would park at any All Star resort and take the bus to a theme park. Another would park at the Campgrounds, PO or CBR and hop on a bus to Epcot or DHS. So they decided to charge for resort parking to make up for the lost income from theme park parking.

Also they are trying to incentivize people to not drive to WDW. The issue, and it happens all over Florida, is tourists driving and not knowing where they are. Every time I drive on Buena Vista Dr. I see an accident. On World Dr. south of US 192 the speed limit drops to 35 miles per hour yet drivers who are lost go flying down the road towards I-4/Celebration. Disney is dong more than a money grab; they are trying to reduce cars on the roads on property.
Your comment would make a lot more sense if Disney was charging the parking fee during the day which they are not. They are only charging it for overnight parking. The people who are taking advantage are not penalized at all while guests paying $400+ a night now have to pay to park their car.

You still don't pay for parking at the parks if you're a Disney resort guest. They didn't at all fix the issue of day guests parking at resorts to avoid paying for parking at the parks by starting to charge overnight parking at the resorts.

Yeah, I was mainly thinking of evening EMH. Our last trip was in the summer. We were offsite and definitely had some late nights in the park during regular park hours--no added fees.

First off, nowhere did I ever compare a Disney resort to a Motel 6 and/or a Days Inn. Talk about to twisting something in an attempt to make your case.

In regards to a resort parking fee. I simply can't reconcile in my mind that a regular Disney guest/customer would not have some sort of issue with it. Whether I agree with them or not, I can see some sliver of logic in counter-arguments for things like increased ticket prices, reduced EMH, and even paid FP. But, there is nothing about a parking fee at a resort that has more than enough available parking spaces that is anything other than a money grab by the entity charging the fee. There is not a single valid argument to the contrary. Anyone trying to claim otherwise has brought an undeclared bias to the argument that runs counter to the way 99.999999% of Disney customers would react.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter