This doesn’t sound good (EMH going away?)

Vacation may not be a luxury but it is most certainly discretionary. No one needs or is entitled to any kind of vacation.

I remember going to a customer service class given by Disney. The instructor opened by asking the attendees who they thought were considered to be Disney’s competition. All the answers you would expect were shouted out. The answer was “everyone”. Disney is competing for our discretionary dollars.

A long time ago, staying on property was, in my mind, a luxury. There were three hotels on the monorail. They were more expensive than we were comfortable paying. The dining plan was a high end add on that made a stay at one of these resorts feel more like an all inclusive cruise.

We stayed in DTD in those early years. Not a luxury vacation by any standard but most surely a discretionary spend. And a fabulous time.
Be careful saying the bolded. Ppl on this thread freak out about it.

Proper use of the word there.
Right which is what I’ve been saying...no one is owed or entitled (if you will) to anything....an “affordable” Disney vacation included. How is what I said different?

While I'm complaining about value and the decrease of it.....Today is our 60 day mark for our June trip, so its fast pass today.

An hour and 20 minutes passed when the FP window has opened for us, we aren't able to select any options for Epcot or MK, we are having some sort of system issue. I can only hope everyone else is having that issue, otherwise we're losing our chances at fast passes.

Thousands of dollars spent on a vacation to a multi billion dollar company, these things should NOT be happening.

In our circle, everyone I know stays on site & always has & it has never had anything to do with any of the perks other than transportation. I know that’s not everyone’s experience, but I think that there are more ppl who do.

:::Raises hand:::

Exactly. Transportation is our main reason fro staying on property. Once we arrive at WDW we like that we can park the car and not have to drive again until we go home. A vacation from driving is part of what we like about going to WDW.

The loss of EMH doesn't even ping my radar as something to consider moving off property about. And it was something many of us were expecting to happen for quite some time, so I'm doubly glad I didn't go clicking to see his original "lame vague tweet" (My words from earlier.) about it. ;)

I can't say I know the Orlando hotel landscape all that well, but the hotels I've stayed in that charge for parking do so because they were in a downtown location where land and therefore parking was a premium already.

Maybe the city creeping of Orlando has come out toward Disney, but they specifically bought all that land because they didn't want to be locked in like they are in California. They have land to burn (yes, I know they have some restrictions with respect to how much they can develop).

Heck, I could even swallow something like 5-7 dollars per night, but $13 per night for values that are already pretty far from the parks and the size of motel sixes?

I mean, is All-Star Sports comparable to these hotels amenity-wise? Are they struggling for parking spaces? Are they locked in land-wise? I'm running out of actual reasons. If I bring a food receipt or a gift shop receipt while staying there, can I get my money back like a day guest can?

Industry standard is a pretty bad excuse, and judging by the reaction, I'd say quite a few agree. Out of all the price hikes, I don't get the need to defend this particular decision.
I agree with you. The parking fee hike is a much larger increase (percentage-wise)on a value than a deluxe. I stayed at an All-Star hotel on the first and last night of our 9 day trip last Easter since we got in so late and left so early. The difference in service compared to a deluxe (or moderate) was unbelievable (and I don't mean attitude at all). We waited way longer for everything - food, bussing, checking in, luggage. I know many say it's just a room which is true but for those paying the parking fee I still think the price is kind of steep for what you get when you can pay similar or lower to stay at other hotels for shorter drives/waits, cheaper food, 60 day FP+ booking, bigger rooms and nicer amenities.

No..the difference is you called people entitled and then also complained that it was inflammatory when i said people will just fork out money no matter what.

There is a difference.
Nope I said I have read so many posts that “sound so entitled”. That is not the same as calling anyone entitled specifically. I didn’t even say which posts I felt like sounded entitled.

While I'm complaining about value and the decrease of it.....Today is our 60 day mark for our June trip, so its fast pass today.

An hour and 20 minutes passed when the FP window has opened for us, we aren't able to select any options for Epcot or MK, we are having some sort of system issue. I can only hope everyone else is having that issue, otherwise we're losing our chances at fast passes.

Thousands of dollars spent on a vacation to a multi billion dollar company, these things should NOT be happening.
That’s where I can agree with you. Disney’s IT or whatever it’s called is absolutely deplorable!

We don’t drive so we’re unaffected by the parking fee. I just assumed they added “the industry standard fee” to help compensate for revenue lost when people eat off site for cheaper or discourage people altogether to day trip to non Disney parks.

That being said, just because I’m not personally affected by that fee doesn’t mean I’m not empathetic towards those that are. Everyone has a breaking point. Everyone. I’m not going to judge if someone’s is different than mine.

I hope you were able to work it out and if not definitely call. Today was also my day and we did not have any issues right at 7. There are 12 of us (I have 5 children, 4 adults and one almost) so we booked in 3 groups.

I hope you were able to work it out and if not definitely call. Today was also my day and we did not have any issues right at 7. There are 12 of us (I have 5 children, 4 adults and one almost) so we booked in 3 groups.
My wife is on the phone with them now, hopefully she’s getting it ironed out.

That’s where I can agree with you. Disney’s IT or whatever it’s called is absolutely deplorable!
We have a quick offsite 3 day trip for spring break next week.

Apparently the issue is we've "maxed out our fast passes". So we have 3 FP each day for our 3 day trip, and then we were able to schedule a few for our June trip.

In no way have we scheduled more than 3 per day, because well you can't, but now they are saying we've maxed out. As of now we have a couple of holes in our june trip where we can't get anything.

My wife is on with them now giving them what for, hopefully they will fix it.

Meanwhile....we're missing chances to get the hard to get ones.

Apparently the issue is we've "maxed out our fast passes". So we have 3 FP each day for our 3 day trip, and then we were able to schedule a few for our June trip.

In no way have we scheduled more than 3 per day, because well you can't, but now they are saying we've maxed out. As of now we have a couple of holes in our june trip where we can't get anything.

There’s a big thread in TPAS board about this. It’s not 3 per day you have maxed, it’s more than 7 days that is the issue.

That sucks. I did read about something like that on the theme park planning board but didn’t fully get into it b/c we don’t have any scenarios like that right now.

We stayed at Beach Club last year over Thanksgiving Week, one of the top 10 busiest weeks of the year. The parking lot at Beach Club was probably no more than half full. Anyone on here that is trying to justify the parking fee as something Disney has to do because it's 'Industry Standard' has been drinking way too much of the Mickey Kool-Aid. Disney's parking situation is not remotely the same as a hotel on International Drive. To compare the two is ridiculous.

Have to agree with this. We were at Beach Club over spring break for Star Wars race weekend, and I am pretty sure the place was close to sold out. Never had an issue finding a parking space any time of the day or evening. The parking fees are ridiculous and just a money grab by Disney. On two seperate nights we drove to AK Lodge and GF for dinner and both those lots had plenty of parking spaces available as well.

If the room rates were comparable to offsite resorts, then I could probably swallow the parking fee, but we all know that is not the case. The only time I have ever seen hotels charge for parking is in downtown locations, or in locations where space is at a premium. Once again, not the case with Disney.

There are people who cannot afford to eat out in restaurants, that does not make the Olive Garden a luxury item. There are people who cannot afford a car, that does not make a Toyota a luxury item.

It is a privilege to be able to take vacations, but that does not make Disney a luxury item comparable to Chanel bags or luxury cars.

Any item is something someone can’t afford. That doesn’t mean it’s a luxury item because it’s a luxury to someone.

Luxury is completely subjection by its very definition. Olive Garden, a Toyota, or any vacation at all can absolutely be considered a luxury item. Because every individual gets to define their own luxury items or experiences. The dinosaur of a computer I'm using to discuss this topic is a luxury item to many. Having internet access at home is a luxury to many.

Chanel may be considered a luxury item to you or to me. But for some, it's just another handbag.

Vacation may not be a luxury but it is most certainly discretionary. No one needs or is entitled to any kind of vacation.

I remember going to a customer service class given by Disney. The instructor opened by asking the attendees who they thought were considered to be Disney’s competition. All the answers you would expect were shouted out. The answer was “everyone”. Disney is competing for our discretionary dollars.

A long time ago, staying on property was, in my mind, a luxury. There were three hotels on the monorail. They were more expensive than we were comfortable paying. The dining plan was a high end add on that made a stay at one of these resorts feel more like an all inclusive cruise.

We stayed in DTD in those early years. Not a luxury vacation by any standard but most surely a discretionary spend. And a fabulous time.

I was working in Davenport about 15 years ago in the citrus industry and I would stay at the Hilton in DTD and I loved it. This was long before anyone charged a resort fee and self parking was still free.

I agree with the pp about Disney being a discretionary item. I think it’s reasonable to say people don’t have to spend money on a vacation but do because of the experience. Whether that experience is a luxury experience or not depends though. Disney certainly can be a luxury vacation if you stay at the deluxe resorts in CL, pay for VIP tours, signature dining for every meal, etc. but it can also be much less expensive vacation that is no where near luxurious. A family staying at all stars, eating QS meals or even packing in lunches to save money, maybe on one of those 4 day one park per day value tickets has a very different experience. Not saying they are not both fun but they are not both luxury experiences.

Also, for the family staying at all stars or pop (nothing wrong with that I’ve done both before, stayed off site, and this time we are doing port Orleans but only because I’m going with my brother who is a Florida resident so he booked the hotel)... anyway, my point is if you are spending far more money to stay at all stars then off site at a house or condo you have to stop and ask yourself what other value that room has because really it is on par with a motel 6 feel (with better theming). The answer to that has always been you get 60 day FP, EMH, and access to Disney transportation. Now if you are driving you have the added cost of paying to park at a hotel with more then enough parking and you are losing yet another benefit of cramming your family into small budget hotel rooms if the get rid of evening EMH at MK permanently.

Take away 60 day FP if they make you pay for FP tickets and now I know my decision will be easy. I’ll stay at a Marriott brand hotel where I enjoy platinum status since I travel for work, pay for the hotel with points, get free room upgrades, and have an actual luxury resort experience.

EMH isn’t necessarily that breaking point for me, but paying for FP would be, at least when it comes to on-site stays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter