This Bridge is Old, Like You! - A July 2017 and April 2018 TR *Completed + New TR Link Posted

Hi Alicia,
I just wanted to say that I got so excited that you had a recent TR. Back in 2014/2015 I read your TRs when Landon was just a baby and I was getting ready to take my son who is around the same age for the first time. I could not remember your name but when I then I saw your avatar... the cutest baby with glasses.
Now that I am planning a return trip with now two kids I came back to the TR boards to read them again. So it was a happy coincidence that you had a TR and also now had 2 kids!
Sorry... this comment may be a bit creepy... you are probably thinking who is this weird stalker- lol.
I just enjoyed your TRs in the past...and I am enjoying the new one as well!

:laughing: So true! The same thing happened to us with a FP once. Not being able to control what the animals choose to do and where is simultaneously the coolest and most frustrating part of this attraction.

What a neat little conversation to be able to eavesdrop for! I also wonder what people must think when they overhear Dismeets in the parks. And Voices of Liberty...I hadn't thought of that...but I may have to add it to my list of dream Disney jobs!

The animals not cooperating probably made for an awesome safari experience for those folks stuck in the cars! Not so much for us poor guests left waiting in the line.

Oh. My. Gosh! :rotfl:

I've been waiting for this moment. I love your kid!

Landon strikes again! This is hilarious! :rotfl2:

For the record, if I overheard a kid saying those things on a ride, I wouldn't be thinking about their mother's parenting at all. I'd just be thinking about how hilarious and adorable that child was.

Haha, Landon is unique. Sometimes I wonder how I found stuff to write about before he came along, because he sure does provide a lot of entertainment!

Hear ye, hear ye! I'm in this camp as well. Wild Africa Trek was one of the highlights of our honeymoon. We always schedule our trips with MK as first priority, and then AK as second. I have a hard time deciding, but I think AK is my favourite park, though if I only had time to visit one park it would always be MK.

Yes! If I only had one day, then of course I'd pick the MK but AK is just as great.
I feel like if we're ever at Disney at the same time, then we need to have a DISmeet in Animal Kingdom and go on the safari together, since we understand each other's love of giraffes. :rotfl2:

OMG-Landon is the best!

Stuff like this comes out of his mouth all the time in public and I just have to pretend I'm not horribly embarrassed by his remarks. :rotfl:

Soooo Funny!

Awesome Selfie!

Good Move for sure!!!! I hate when people start to get pushy.

After Landon put the whole safari car in stitches, my mom and I were walking to the stroller parking area and she goes, "That's going to be your trip report title, isn't it?":rotfl2:
Thanks! Neither my mother nor I really like the selfie pose, but when you're relaxing at Disney you make exceptions!

I'm glad to hear that Evie enjoyed the safari! That's such a great ride, and it's always great to see so many animals ... I'm sure she really was thrilled!
Landon, on the other hand ... maybe next time try telling him it's a quiet ride and you're not allowed to talk? (Kidding ... sometimes kids will be kids and you just can't help it ... at least he didn't say anything too terrible)

Secret confession: I could take or leave EE. I think I do have to try it at night and see if I like it better in the dark.

Good call taking the Poly bus - that's where having Disney knowledge really comes in handy! (We've done that with Pop and AoA a few times, but I feel like everyone knows that secret. Shades/Poly is probably less well-known but really smart!)

I was really happy to have found something that Evie enjoyed. She seemed to like Animal Kingdom as a whole, which shouldn't have surprised me. Anything animal-related she enjoys. I told Alex on our upcoming trip if he really wants to check out Panora, I could handle Evie for a few hours in the park. She'd be perfectly fine spending an afternoon checking out the animal treks or riding the train out to Discovery Island. (I think that's its name; I've never gone there before!)

I would definitely recommend trying EE at least once in the dark, just to see the difference between the two times.

Funny story on how the TR title came to be! Landon sounds like he was a riot on the safari!

The dole whips with rum are so tasty! I'm glad you and your mom could indulge :)

Glad you could ride EE at night as I know that's your favorite!

Smart/fast thinking with the bus situation! Glad it worked in your favor!

Landon loved that he got the whole car laughing...he feeds off being the center of attention.
Normally, I go to AK in the morning when it's mildly cooler so I had never been able to get a Dole Whip with rum from there before. I mean, I guess I could have. But even on vacation, 10 o'clock seemed a tad early for adult beverages. :rotfl: So since we were there after dark, it was the perfect opportunity!

I was so happy I got to ride EE at night. It had been 5 years since I'd last done it!

It is so funny how kids say things and then it becomes something you remember and laugh about over the years. When my DD was about 4, we were visiting my parents in Arizona and we were kind of lost. She was in the backseat just singing her heart out and my mom told her to stop singing. She replied, "Can I hum?" It is something we still laugh about and she is 21!

:rotfl:Something about 4 year olds...they have the most blunt and hilarious responses to adults.

Hi Alicia,
I just wanted to say that I got so excited that you had a recent TR. Back in 2014/2015 I read your TRs when Landon was just a baby and I was getting ready to take my son who is around the same age for the first time. I could not remember your name but when I then I saw your avatar... the cutest baby with glasses.
Now that I am planning a return trip with now two kids I came back to the TR boards to read them again. So it was a happy coincidence that you had a TR and also now had 2 kids!
Sorry... this comment may be a bit creepy... you are probably thinking who is this weird stalker- lol.
I just enjoyed your TRs in the past...and I am enjoying the new one as well!

Not creepy at all! It's such a compliment to have someone say they read my reports. :goodvibes If anyone is crazy it's me for writing about my Disney trips to a public audience. :rotfl2:
How funny that you found another one of my reports now that both of us have two kids. Time flies! Having another kid at Disney changes the dynamic of things, but just like when you brought your oldest, you'll figure out a new groove and have a blast. Just don't be like me and blindly assume the second child will like everything the oldest did! I felt so bad when I scared poor Evie on Under the Sea and had to learn that lesson the hard way. :blush:
Thanks again for reading and following along!

I feel like if we're ever at Disney at the same time, then we need to have a DISmeet in Animal Kingdom and go on the safari together, since we understand each other's love of giraffes. :rotfl2:

100% yes! Alright, it's official. This is the goal if our trips ever align. ::yes::

Not creepy at all! It's such a compliment to have someone say they read my reports. :goodvibes If anyone is crazy it's me for writing about my Disney trips to a public audience. :rotfl2:
How funny that you found another one of my reports now that both of us have two kids. Time flies! Having another kid at Disney changes the dynamic of things, but just like when you brought your oldest, you'll figure out a new groove and have a blast. Just don't be like me and blindly assume the second child will like everything the oldest did! I felt so bad when I scared poor Evie on Under the Sea and had to learn that lesson the hard way. :blush:
Thanks again for reading and following along![/QUOTE]

I am getting mentally prepared for it in case she hates it - lol.
She is totally the opposite from my son. He is so lay back and go with the flow and her... not at all. If is not her way it is the screamfest.
We are going in October where they will be 5 and almost 2.

Gotta love Landon :rotfl2:
So good that you're writing this stuff down so that you can remember it in years to come (not that you're likely to forget :rotfl:).
That boy is the champion of one-liners :thumbsup2
Love the selfie with you and your mum. Those adult dole whips look mighty tasty:thumbsup2
Brilliant when you have some inside knowledge and it pays off- great decision to get the Poly bus and finish the evening on a high note :goodvibes

I'm finally here and all caught up! There's simply too much to comment on so I'll just leave it that I'm here and will be reading along.

What a wonderful update! So much fun stuff going on! Boo for heavy crowds going to Asia and then again in Pandora (I'd think that'd be dying down pretty soon here. ) but huzzah for Landon's hilarious quips. All kids have done that at one time or another. :)

That Dole Whip with rum has been on my list for a very long time. I really need to seek that out next time! Mmmm!!!!!

Yeah, ITTBAB is pretty dark. I can totally understand why he'd be afraid in there.

I think you're right about AK and how people feel about it. It's either you love it, or "meh". Happy to be in the camp of the former. :)

100% yes! Alright, it's official. This is the goal if our trips ever align. ::yes::

:thumbsup2

I am getting mentally prepared for it in case she hates it - lol.
She is totally the opposite from my son. He is so lay back and go with the flow and her... not at all. If is not her way it is the screamfest.
We are going in October where they will be 5 and almost 2.

Well hopefully since your son is very go with the flow, if you have to adjust your plans to fit what your daughter likes, he will be okay with it! You can never predict what kids will like at Disney. you just have to go and make changes on the fly! (Which isn't always the easiest thing to do at WDW.)

Gotta love Landon :rotfl2:
So good that you're writing this stuff down so that you can remember it in years to come (not that you're likely to forget :rotfl:).
That boy is the champion of one-liners :thumbsup2
Love the selfie with you and your mum. Those adult dole whips look mighty tasty:thumbsup2
Brilliant when you have some inside knowledge and it pays off- great decision to get the Poly bus and finish the evening on a high note :goodvibes

I am looking forward to going back to these reports years down the road and reminding myself of all the ways Landon entertained me. Goodness knows what else he'll do over the years...

I'm finally here and all caught up! There's simply too much to comment on so I'll just leave it that I'm here and will be reading along.

Thanks for following along!:goodvibes

What a wonderful update! So much fun stuff going on! Boo for heavy crowds going to Asia and then again in Pandora (I'd think that'd be dying down pretty soon here. ) but huzzah for Landon's hilarious quips. All kids have done that at one time or another. :)

That Dole Whip with rum has been on my list for a very long time. I really need to seek that out next time! Mmmm!!!!!

Yeah, ITTBAB is pretty dark. I can totally understand why he'd be afraid in there.

I think you're right about AK and how people feel about it. It's either you love it, or "meh". Happy to be in the camp of the former. :)

I always love your AK updates, because you try really hard to capture it's wonderful details in your photos.
The Dole Whip can be "D" for your next A to Z drink game!:rotfl2:

I'm way behind, but wanted to comment on the two updates I've gotten caught up on.

Landon enjoyed the spinning at first, laughing and giggling, and then like a light switch being turned off he stopped smiling and said to me, “I don’t like this anymore.”

Oh no, that went bad fast. I can't blame him, I don't like the spinning cups at all.

Afraid we were going to have a mess on our hands, I slowed the cup down and we spent the rest of the ride going a safer, slower rotation. Ironically enough, we got off the ride and met back up with my mother she told us that Evie loved the teacups and kept telling her, “More! More!”

“I think you have a thrill junkie on your hands, Alicia,” my mom commented to me as we walked to our next ride.

Complete opposites. Sounds like Evie is the the thrill rider.

The ride started and I raised our Dumbo as high as it would go and Evie squealed in delight.

This is sooo cute.

Hard to see in the picture, but she wore this “What the heck is going on?!” expression. She kept looking Ariel up and down, then looking at me, thinking, “Why am I sitting next to this stranger?”

I can see that expression. She is not impressed at all.

Yep, those are my kids. One’s giving Ariel the stink eye and the other’s so overcome with awe that he can’t think coherent thoughts.

Landon is such the charmer. Evie could care less.

The Rapunzel one will be worth reading.

I'm looking forward to this.

She sat in a clamshell with Landon while I kept Evie and we journeyed into the ocean. It started out great, Evie spotted Ariel and kept laughing in excitement. I pointed out the colorful fish and coral:

Oh no, foreshadowing.

Then we got to Ursula.

Mean, scary, Ursula who is big and in the dark and appears to be looming over our clamshell.

Poor, poor Evie.

She screamed.

And screamed.

And screamed.

This reminds me of the first time I saw the Little Mermaid show at DHS. It was going great until Ursula showed up and scared some poor little toddler. She too screamed and screamed.

Ireland was beautiful, but Alex and I wished we could’ve toured the area without kids. They were very whiny and uncooperative and at one point I distinctly remember thinking to myself, “This is why we take you guys to Disney more than anywhere else. Because at least there you’re happy!”

I'm sorry the little ones didn't appreciate the culture you were trying to share. All the more excuses to take them to Disney.

So stay tuned for more news on a 2018 visit to the world!

Looking forward to this.

If there’s one attraction in all of the Magic Kingdom that could bring a smile to a toddler’s face it is Small World, and because a certain little man in our group has a deep rooted love of the ride, that was our next stop.

Danielle still loves Small World.

Evie cried during the first half of the ride, but then she settled down and watched as we drifted from room to room. She wasn’t overly thrilled with her current predicament but neither was she screaming. Honestly, I think she kept waiting for another scary animatronic to pop up round a bend.

Magic Kingdom has a lot of dark rides that scare toddlers. Danielle did not enjoy all those rides on her first trip when she was 3. She did like Small World.

And a hoof print in the ground with Maximus’s name on the shoe:

I've never seen this. I'll have to look. Last trip I think we found 2 Pascals, but that was all.

Landon loves all things Peter Pan, probably wishes he could BE Peter most days, and he had specifically asked me to ride this earlier in the morning. He had watched the movie almost every single day leading up to our Florida trip and was going to see the ride in a whole new light this time around.

He's the perfect age for Peter Pan.

And mixed in with all those happy proclamations was one very ticked off one year old behind me.

Again total opposites.

No arguments came from her and within ten minutes of our departure, my mom snapped a picture of Evie’s latest state:

I really think she needed this little break.

How can people not like Disney, guys?! It was pure magic, watching my son talk to this character he had come to know so well.

I agree 100%!

This was something I had called dibbs on during Landon’s first trip to the world.

Alex gets first rides on Tower of Terror and Splash Mountain with the kiddos. I get Everest and this.

Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!

Looking forward to reading what this is .

Read your last 2 updates last night but was unable to quote them as the Dis was getting ready to go down for nightly maintence and now I'm too lazy to go back and quote. Still enjoying your updates and updates for upcoming trips.

I'm way behind, but wanted to comment on the two updates I've gotten caught up on.

Complete opposites. Sounds like Evie is the the thrill rider.

We're hoping she's tall enough to ride Barnstormer by April, because we think she'll love it!

Landon is such the charmer. Evie could care less.
That sums up them two in a nutshell.

Danielle still loves Small World.
I hope Landon is like Danielle and wants to ride it when he's older.

Read your last 2 updates last night but was unable to quote them as the Dis was getting ready to go down for nightly maintence and now I'm too lazy to go back and quote. Still enjoying your updates and updates for upcoming trips.

I have to race against the nightly shutdown, too! Over here in Germany it goes down between 9 and 11:30 a.m., which can be inconvenient sometimes. I've lost more than one multi-quote due to the site booting me, so I completely understand!

July 23rd, 2017 Part 1:

Landon and Evie and their unfailing internal alarm clocks woke my mother and me up at six in the morning. Feeling particularly spontaneous, I hopped on the MDE app and found a lot of availability for breakfast at Kona Café. Hot pancakes and cold liliko’i juice sounded a heck of a lot better than apple slices and yogurt, so I asked my mom if she wanted to high tail it over to the Polynesian and splurge a little.

She heartily agreed, so at 7:10 we walked over to the resort for our 7:20 reservation.

Kona Café was a ghost town when we got there; it was obvious why there was so much availability. O’hana, on the other hand, had a line a mile long. I suppose if you’re a big Lilo and Stitch fan it would be worth the hassle of getting a meal there, but personally I liked the calm emptiness of Kona Café.

My mom sat next to Landon and had the job of filling out the kid’s activity page with him:

01.JPG

While I handled Evie:

02.JPG

The kids were really antsy this morning; Landon didn’t want to concentrate on the page and Evie kept trying to climb out of her highchair.

03.JPG

We placed our orders and didn’t have to wait long before the food arrived at our table. My mom got the French toast.

04.JPG

The kids got Mickey pancakes with fresh fruit:
IMG_0303 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

And I got the macadamia nut pancakes.

05.JPG

I ordered a side of scrambled eggs with my meal, because I can’t eat carb-y/sweet food without some kind of protein. Plus, Evie loves eggs so I figured I could split it with both kids. Unfortunately, our server forgot about them until after I had finished. She said she’d bring some out to me, but it was too late by that point so I told her not to worry about it.

Instead, I sucked it up and ate a sausage. Blegh.

I’m one of those crazy people who don’t like bacon or breakfast sausage. Too greasy for my taste.

I also gave my mom one of my pancakes, because it was all starting to sit heavy in my stomach and I wanted to stop while I still felt good… I’m a firm believer that too much of anything isn’t a good thing.

Landon did a good job eating his pancakes, but Evie barely touched hers. In hindsight, I should have split my dish with her but I didn’t want her to leave hungry.

So much for that.

I got the bill and paid easily enough. I think the server was ready to be done with my table. Between the egg mishap and Evie, who I had eventually released from her chair and was letting her stand behind me, she was over us. It wasn’t the greatest service in the world, the food was good but not extraordinary, but I don’t regret making the reservation. It was nice doing something spur of the moment.

Kind of a rarity at Disney.

And the good news was, because our meal went so fast, we were boarding the monorail right at the Magic Kingdom’s opening.

Hooray!

When we got inside the park, my mom made an executive decision, which was a big deal. My mom NEVER takes command. She loves me too much to try and interfere with my planning; she just goes with the flow.

But today she put her foot down and told me, “Alicia, I’m renting a second stroller.”

My mom had had it with the child swapping and wanted them both to have a place to sit if need be. So she walked to the rental counter and purchased enough vouchers for the rest of our trip.

A done deal.

06.JPG

As far as solo decisions go, my mom made a sound one. I was really over toting Evie around in the baby carrier when it was a million degrees out, and the kids were only getting more tired the longer our trip progressed. The biggest issue we ran into with the rental stroller was the fact that both kids wanted to sit in it.

Neither wanted the nice, comfortable, reclining, sun-shaded stroller we owned. Oh no, that would not do. Both fought over that cheap, plastic park stroller every single time we needed them to sit.

Good grief… the way I had to create a rotation schedule for who got to sit where I should have taken problem resolution courses in college. Next time, I’ll get a double and they can both share the same one.
(I think I’d rather listen to them kicking each other in the shins then hear their cries of injustice as I push them in the City Mini.)

Oh, actually, I lied. There was a second negative about having one rental and one personal stroller. Sometimes when we had to park the things, the rentals went in one section and the personal in another. So, my mom and I would have to go, “You hunt for this one, I’ll go look for the other.” All ending with whichever kid went with the adult hunting for the City Mini being extremely disappointed when they saw they were stuck in the personal stroller.

However, despite the bickering the rental was an excellent idea and my group walked onto Main Street feeling like we were on a roll. We had breakfast in our bellies, we had resolved a problem, we were ready to hit up the park!

Earlier in the report, I didn’t think we had gotten any other photos on Main Street, but I guess I was mistaken.

07.JPG

08.JPG

As you can see, the kids were still upset about the strollers. Because those have to be some of the worst Main St. pics they have ever taken! Jeez.

Their photo by themselves wasn’t any better:

09.JPG

You would have thought I was telling them they were in trouble or something! You’re at Disney kid, perk up!!!

You’re not allowed to shoot me those sullen, miserable looks until you’re teenagers…

Well, they could be unhappy but that wasn’t going to stop me from soaking up the park’s splendor.

10.JPG

It was time to get some more fun accomplished!

Up Next…He’s Going to Say Carrots, I Just Know It.

The kids got Mickey pancakes with fresh fruit:

Mickey pancakes! So cute!

Instead, I sucked it up and ate a sausage. Blegh.
I’m one of those crazy people who don’t like bacon or breakfast sausage. Too greasy for my taste.

Well...you had to have at least one flaw. :P

As far as solo decisions go, my mom made a sound one. I was really over toting Evie around in the baby carrier when it was a million degrees out, and the kids were only getting more tired the longer our trip progressed. The biggest issue we ran into with the rental stroller was the fact that both kids wanted to sit in it.

Definitely a good idea! Though that's so funny that the kids fought over the rental stroller...those things look so uncomfortable!

07-jpg.297136

Oh no!! Yeah, it doesn't seem like it was really your day for castle pictures! :laughing: But this makes a memorable photo nonetheless.

Despite it being a little hectic, I'm glad you were happy with your spontaneous breakfast ADR!

How silly about the strollers! The kids really do look so miserable :rotfl2:

We went to Kona Cafe once for breakfast and thought that both the food and the service was okay. Like you, I am glad that we went but it will be a while before we return.

Poor kids being so stressed over who would get to sit in the rental and who would get to sit in the deluxe edition. Makes for some tough times for parents and grandparents.

Finally catching up on my favorite TR's. You and your mom tour well together! And, where did MEK go? I loved her posts!!

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is amazing.

Totally agree! It's very special when you get to share this ride for the first time with a child.

Four years!

Can you believe it?

Way tooooo long.

Landon had turned four the previous April and was in the bottom two percentile for height. Always the shortest in a group of kids his age, Alex and I were beginning to wonder if he’d ever make it on a coaster.

I had the same problem with 2 out of 3 kids. And 2 out of 3 kids passed me up when they were in the 6th grade, just not the same 2 of 3.

However, I did switch to camera mode and attempt to grab some pictures of Landon’s reaction.

I love his reactions. I think he really like it!

(This might or might not have been an issue Alex and I encountered with his teachers this year…If any of you guys watch This is Us, the episode where Randall couldn’t waver from his Halloween route? Yeah, two different family members commented that the scene reminded them of Landon.)

I love This is Us! I think Landon may have some OCD issues.

Both food selections were solid.

We ate here in May with the new menu. We liked it, not great but ok.

It suddenly became quite breezy in Pecos Bill.

:scared1:

Nothing to see here, folks.

Move along, move along.

:rotfl:

and covered my face with my hands as my mom and I burst into laughter.

Good for you. What else can you do? You'll always have this story now.

What’s a family vacation without a lot of mortification?

Makes for the best family vacation stories.

Evie is one of the slowest eaters I’ve ever encountered, and the three of us were forced to sit around the table and watch her eat one macaroni noodle at a time.

I'm felling your pain.

but I was also painfully aware that it was our first park day and there was so much to do! I didn’t come to Disney to sit around, I came to ride cherished attractions and hug beloved characters.

I would have been thinking the same thing.

I tried to skirt around her – I knew who would end up holding on to those things after about five minutes – but the woman had eagle eyes and handed each kid one of their own before I could intervene.

So true, sorry you couldn't avoid it.

Hard to tell in the grainy photograph, but the standby for Pirates was sitting at 55 minutes that day:

Lots of higher wait times on rides since FP+ rolled out.

The drop took Landon by surprise and he got a little scared. Ironically enough, that was the only part Evie liked. Once the cannons started blasting and the fires were set, she began squirming and making a fuss.

I was expecting this.

Nothing like a toddler on your back and a preschooler needing pushing in the middle of the day to get those calories burning.

Your poor back. Luckily this didn't cause another breezy situation.

And said, “Hot, sweaty, lugging kids around, but absolutely happy. Totally worth the workout.”

Perfect!

I loved your BTMRR update so much. I'll be smiling for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts