This Bridge is Old, Like You! - A July 2017 and April 2018 TR *Completed + New TR Link Posted

I'm so sorry about your father-in-law. At least Alex was able to take time off to go and help out with things.

I totally agree about Disney Springs, it's so much fun! And I loooove the Marketplace Co-op! Make sure to check out Amorette's. The little cakes there are amazing!

I wish they kept Soarin over California at DCA; it would have made much more sense!

And I also agree about Frozen-I really like it! I think it's my favorite ride at Epcot because its nice and relaxing with good use of technology.

I am so sorry for the loss of your FIL. I lost mine unexpectedly 5 years ago. Way too young. I will keep your family in my prayers.

My apologies to everyone for my extended absence. Earlier this month, Alex’s father passed away so we had to fly back to the states. The kids and I only stayed a week before coming back to Germany (had to get Landon back to school) but Alex is still over there helping his mom. Not going to lie, it’s been a difficult few weeks. My father in-law wasn’t that old, and the death was very unexpected. (Complications that arose from a car accident.) And because of all this, the DIS was put on the back burner for me.

I'm so sorry about Alex's father! What sad news. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and Alex and your family.

He has just recently grown out of the Duplo phase and into the legit Legos, so seeing an entire store full of them was a real treat.

That's exciting!!

Oh, I almost forgot! We also stopped by the Ganachery and split a piece of fudge that tasted exactly like the Cast Member said it would. That happened on the way to the Lego Store; on the way back to our car we pit stopped at Vivoli Gelato and shared a medium cup of mint and chocolate ice cream. We had promised Landon a dessert for putting up with our shopping, and when asked he picked ice cream. The mint, in particular, turned out to be delicious and sharing it between two adults and two kids was the perfect amount.

Yummmm!!

Looks like Landon won the battle for the beloved stroller that morning. But it also appears that I plied Evie with food to get her to cooperate.

That’s kind of how my parenting style is summed up.

Avoid meltdowns through food.

I think this is Nathan's strategy for dealing with me, too!! :laughing:

My mom had commented on the new Soarin’ film appearing “sideways” but I hadn’t noticed anything like that when it was my turn to ride. As it turned out, that was because I was sitting in the middle section of the theater and had no distortion. This time around, I sat on the far left and could definitely see what she meant. It was a bit of a bummer, but I still think the new video fits into Epcot seamlessly.

Agreed. I really like the new Soarin' film, but I never saw the old one and wish I had the chance. And the curving is so noticeable on the ends! We request the middle section every time now because being on the end actually made me really motion sick.

While on the ride, I was seated next to a mom, her kid, and her mother who were visiting from the UK. The mom was an absolute delight to sit with; she ooohed and aaahed at every scene, became so excited to name the locations, and even teared up at the end of the ride! As we were being lowered back to the theater floor, she wiped tears away from her cheeks and told her family, “That was the best ride I’ve ever gone on!”

Her enthusiasm was so sweet that I had made the decision mid-ride to make her day a little brighter. As we were walking down the exit hallway, I stopped her and handed her the Rider Swap pass I had received a few nights ago. Once I explained how it worked and convinced her that I wouldn’t miss it, her face lit up and her kid was jumping with joy. “Let’s go do it again, Mom! Let’s go!!!”

Without question, one of my favorite moments of the trip.:goodvibes

This is SUCH a sweet story! How awesome to share pixie dust with someone who obviously would appreciate it so much. :goodvibes

After we had all finished up, I walked around the corner and noticed that Frozen Ever After had a twenty minute wait.

WHAT?!

My thoughts exactly! WHAT?! That's such great luck. Unheard of!

Right as we were boarding our boat, Evie decided to ruin her nice new diaper and leave us and everyone else in the boat struggling for fresh air during the ride. Thanks, kid. What a way to ride Frozen Ever After for the first time.

Yeesh.:rotfl:

:rotfl:

Alex had no clue what Dia De Los Muertos was before he saw that film, and one of his first comments after he watched it was, “I have a lot better understanding of the holiday now.” So THAT would make sense.

I loved Coco for this reason, too! That, and it was beautiful. :goodvibes

Up Next…It’s Only Espresso, Go Ahead and Give it to Him

:eek: :confused3

My apologies to everyone for my extended absence. Earlier this month, Alex’s father passed away so we had to fly back to the states. The kids and I only stayed a week before coming back to Germany (had to get Landon back to school) but Alex is still over there helping his mom. Not going to lie, it’s been a difficult few weeks. My father in-law wasn’t that old, and the death was very unexpected. (Complications that arose from a car accident.) And because of all this, the DIS was put on the back burner for me.

OH dear! So sorry to hear this! That's dreadful news. Of course, everyone here understands about your absence and all wish your family the very best as life settles into a new normal. :hug:

However, I’m trying my hardest to settle back into my normal routine and would really like to have this report finished before we head BACK to Florida next month. (My poor kiddos…they are going to be so well traveled by the end of this year. April will mark 3 international trips in 9 months!) Alex and I haven’t discussed it yet, but as of right now we are still on for our 1 night stay at the Poly, so I need to wrap this report up in order to make way for our deluxe adventure!

I have done that. It's not easy with more than one little one. But, looking forward to a deluxe stay, of course!

But before I get back to that, I wanted to share our tiny day of Disney. We got to spend an afternoon in Disney Springs while back in the states. Alex and I had gotten a hotel by the Orlando Airport the night before I flew out, and we had a few hours to kill before check-in. It was the day after the funeral and Alex needed something happy in his life, so we checked out some of the new stores. Believe it or not, this was my first time visiting the shopping district since it had transformed into the Springs, and I was a little taken back by how big it has become. Lots of stores and lots to take in.

Isn't it gorgeous?! I love it there. The new refurb is so serene and yet upbeat at the same time, if that makes sense.

We stopped by Joffrey’s first and foremost so I could get a coffee,

Yes. Because coffee.

Seriously…I don’t see myself ever stopping from rolling my eyes at this setup. It’s a redundant process that I seriously hope gets fixed under Epcot’s change.

It is.... stoooopid.

I just wish they’d return California to Disneyland that way I could enjoy both.

100% agree!

While on the ride, I was seated next to a mom, her kid, and her mother who were visiting from the UK. The mom was an absolute delight to sit with; she ooohed and aaahed at every scene, became so excited to name the locations, and even teared up at the end of the ride! As we were being lowered back to the theater floor, she wiped tears away from her cheeks and told her family, “That was the best ride I’ve ever gone on!”

Her enthusiasm was so sweet that I had made the decision mid-ride to make her day a little brighter. As we were walking down the exit hallway, I stopped her and handed her the Rider Swap pass I had received a few nights ago. Once I explained how it worked and convinced her that I wouldn’t miss it, her face lit up and her kid was jumping with joy. “Let’s go do it again, Mom! Let’s go!!!”

Without question, one of my favorite moments of the trip.:goodvibes

This is so super sweet! I really love to hear about human kindness like this. Way to go, Girl!

Quickly, I returned to my mom and informed her we had to park the stroller ASAP and hop in line. I don’t know how we managed to get it, but the wait time really was only twenty minutes. It was probably the exact amount of time I would be willing for that particular attraction.

img_5181-jpg.309399

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would either. But completely agree about it being not the appropriate place for this. Feels like a snub to all things truly Norwegian.

But who’s going to watch Frozen and think they know something about Norwegian culture? I mean, really…

No.

Just popping in to say Happy St Patrick’s Day. I’m so sorry to hear about Alex’s Dad. It must have been such a shock for you all and tough to bear being so far from home. Sending you all my sincerest condolences.
I’m glad you got a wee trip to the springs to brighten both yours and Alex’s day before you returned to Germany. Hope Landon is enjoying school :)
Love that you managed to spread some magic in Epcot and obviously karma was on your side with the short wait for FEA. Lovely to read about your day. Hope you and Alex are doing ok :hug:

Thank you. Times like these are when it's hard living overseas, but we definitely don't regret our decision and were grateful we were able to go back.
Landon loves school! We've already started preparing him for summer break and the realization that he won't be in his class anymore come June. We're taking him to Disneyland Paris right around the beginning of his break, though, so I'm sure some rides on Small World will get rid of any sadness!

So sorry about the loss of your father in law. Prayers for you all. Happy you were able to bring a little sunshine into it with your Disney Springs adventure.

Thanks; seeing Disney Springs after its huge overhaul was a nice surprise. I wish I could spend a day shopping there when it's nice and sunny. (I type as its supposed to be a week into spring and it's rainy and 30 degrees out my window...)

Don't worry, all good moms do it...

That is awesome that you got to spread a little disney magic. I feel like that is what makes disney great sometimes. It's that the people visiting want to spread the magic as well!

AMAZING!!! We have only ridden this once, as my girls prefer to use there fastness for Test Track.

I think this upcoming trip will be the one and only time we use our Fastpass for Frozen. By the time we return, Evie will probably hit that 40" mark and want to ride Test Track. So I really hope I can catch it at such a low wait time again in the future! It's starting to seem like July is my lucky month when it comes to Disney...

So sorry for you and Alex's loss. Losing a loved one is never easy, and it's even worse when it's unexpected. My condolences.

Disney Springs day sounds nice! I've discovered that it's really a nice place to spend some time on a down day.

I will admit, I don't have kids, but from what I've seen ... bribery always works. Giving your kid food to avoid a meltdown sounds totally legit to me. (Maybe it's a good thing that I don't have kids ...)

Wow, I can't believe you found a 30-minute wait for Frozen - that's awesome! I'm glad to hear you liked it. I get the complaints that it's not actually about Norway, but honestly ... I'm just always happy for more boat rides at Disney, and I hated Maelstrom. So this at least is something I would ride.

Thank you, I appreciate the condolences.
I don't know if it's because I've been away from American shopping malls for so long, but I really liked Disney Springs and all it had to offer. I wished I could have a day to spend there, browsing the various stores and trying out the eateries.

You make a good point. More boat rides in Disney is always a good thing.

super late but joining in for the end of your trip!

Thanks for joining in! I still have a few more updates to go, so you're just in time!

Once again, my heart goes out to your family. :grouphug:

I'm glad you were able to spend a little bit of time at Disney Springs. I still have not been there since the change from DTD. But, oh, the Lego years! My boys, especially Ben, were obsessed with the little bricks. We have a huge collection of Star Wars (including the Death Star), Hobbit and Harry Potter Sets. Thousands and Thousands of dollars worth of Legos- mostly scattered in pieces in the basement.

************************************************************************************************************

You are having a pretty decent morning in EPCOT so far. The aquarium is a great place to spend time with the kids while taking turns on Soarin.

Your story about giving away your rider swap passes is very similar to one of my favorite memories in AK. My family was headed out of the park. We had 4 FP for Everest, but the boys didn't want to ride, so I went solo. I rode with a grandmother, mom and daughter from UK. They laughed and screamed throughout the whole ride and at the end said how much they loved it. I asked them if they wanted to go again right away and gave them the other 3 FP. "Are you serious?" They were so thankful!

20 minutes is the perfect wait time for Frozen. I loved the queue line, but only for about that amount of time. I have only watched Frozen once. I really liked the ride, thought it was technically well-done, but my husband, who has not seen the movie, was not impressed

I feel like we are well on our way to thousands and thousands of Legos. For his birthday this year, Landon is getting no less than 3 sets from various family members and I'm already dreading the mess they are going to make. It's the start of madness, I know.

That is the biggest thing I miss about the paper Fastpasses, being able to give some away to other guests. I still get to do it with my Rider Swaps but those days are going to be over sooner rather than later. Evie's already sitting at 37 inches; I'm sure by the time we move back to the states she'll be riding the coasters with us!

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thank you!

Again, I'm sorry for the loss of your FIL :( I hope you are all doing ok.

I'm glad you had a nice time at DS to distract you guys.

Aww that's such a sweet encounter on Soarin. It's really nice seeing moments like that and so great of you to pay it forward and share your rider swap pass.

Nice luck getting on Frozen with such a short wait at that time of morning! I'm glad you enjoyed it, even with the added smells :rotfl2:

I'm glad we still get Rider Swaps and can do little things like that, because that's one of the things I miss the most from paper Fastpasses! It was always so fun finding an unexpected family and giving them passes you weren't going to use.

I'm so sorry about Alex's father! What sad news. Sending thoughts and prayers to you and Alex and your family.

I think this is Nathan's strategy for dealing with me, too!! :laughing:

Agreed. I really like the new Soarin' film, but I never saw the old one and wish I had the chance. And the curving is so noticeable on the ends! We request the middle section every time now because being on the end actually made me really motion sick.

This is SUCH a sweet story! How awesome to share pixie dust with someone who obviously would appreciate it so much. :goodvibes

My thoughts exactly! WHAT?! That's such great luck. Unheard of

I loved Coco for this reason, too! That, and it was beautiful. :goodvibes

:eek: :confused3

Thank you for your condolences.
Thinking about it, I think a lot of people never grow out of the food trick! I know I'm a lot easier to deal with after I've had a snack.

I'm starting to think July is my lucky month to visit Disney. Because, yeah, 20 minutes for Frozen is an extreme rarity.

OH dear! So sorry to hear this! That's dreadful news. Of course, everyone here understands about your absence and all wish your family the very best as life settles into a new normal. :hug:

I have done that. It's not easy with more than one little one. But, looking forward to a deluxe stay, of course!

Before moving to Germany, I had never flown on an airplane before, now not even two years later I've been on 15. Perhaps in the future I'll spread them out a little more and maybe not drag two toddlers along with me each time.

Isn't it gorgeous?! I love it there. The new refurb is so serene and yet upbeat at the same time, if that makes sense.

I wish I could have a day where I could take my time browsing the stores and trying different eateries. But again...toddlers.:rotfl2:

I didn't hate it as much as I thought I would either. But completely agree about it being not the appropriate place for this. Feels like a snub to all things truly Norwegian.

I think we are in the minority in wishing the World Showcase retained its original intent and was more focused on cultural education than rides/IP content. :confused3

I'm so sorry about your father-in-law. At least Alex was able to take time off to go and help out with things.

I totally agree about Disney Springs, it's so much fun! And I loooove the Marketplace Co-op! Make sure to check out Amorette's. The little cakes there are amazing!

I wish they kept Soarin over California at DCA; it would have made much more sense!

And I also agree about Frozen-I really like it! I think it's my favorite ride at Epcot because its nice and relaxing with good use of technology.

Thanks, and yes! We were really grateful that we could go back to the states. Especially since we're taking two weeks to go back at the end of April. Lots of travel for my family so far this year!

I have heard of those cakes at Amorette's and really wanted to try one, but Landon voted for ice cream. Next time!!

I am so sorry for the loss of your FIL. I lost mine unexpectedly 5 years ago. Way too young. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Thank you; it's hard when the loss is unexpected but we're all doing okay, all things considered.

Did you guys know you can bruise ribs from coughing? I did not, but I sure learned the hard way.:crazy2: Landon brought home some awful virus from school that had him down with croup, Evie covered in hives from a bad reaction to it, and me injuring a couple ribs from battling an upper respiratory infection. :sad2: Needless to say, between having to fly back to Florida at the beginning of the month and being taken out with sickness the following two weeks, my family is ready to see March come to an end and bid it a big farewell. Here's to hoping April brings better luck, which it should. Our vacation - including our Disney days - is at the end of the month!

July 24th, 2017 Part 2:

Our Frozen fun finished, my mom and I had to hurry on through the World Showcase to make sure we weren’t late for our lunch reservation. There was no way we were missing my favorite meal at Walt Disney World!

Go, go, go!

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Evie was particularly grumpy at the time, though, and wasn’t cooperating with us. The adults had to stop in Germany to let her have some time to cool off.

It was no coincidence that we stopped in Germany of all places…

I had to take a peek at my home away from home!

It was really fun looking around at the architecture and designs and being so familiar with it. In a weird sort of way, it felt like being back in Germany. I was almost more comfortable standing around in that pavilion than I was anywhere else that trip.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I have no doubt Alex and I will always make a pit stop in the Germany pavilion whenever we’re on a Disney vacation. If only they sold Happy Hippos in one of the stores…I don’t know how I’m going to survive without that candy once I move back. If you’ve never had one, you have really missed out!

I had heard (through @Steppesister, I think) that one of the buildings in the pavilion was designed to resemble Burg Eltz, a very popular castle in Germany. Well, I had to see for myself, because Eltz is one of my favorite sights here where I live. It’s only a little over an hour away, and it’s so beautiful that I’ll visit it when the inside is closed just to see it. There’s a hiking trail that you can take, and at the very end you round a corner and there's Eltz...it’s breathtaking.

My picture doesn’t do it justice:
IMG_5917 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

If any of you guys ever decide to visit Germany, you must check this place out!

So, did Disney’s recreation compare?

01.JPG
(It’s the tall one in the very back.)

Yes! Yes, it did. I looked at it and knew immediately what it resembled. So good on Disney for successfully recreating a stunning landmark.

Back on our way, Evie was still having a fit and ending up falling out of the stroller while my mom was pushing it. She didn’t get hurt, but she did try all our nerves so by the time we got to Italy and parked the strollers my mom and I were a little irritable.

02.JPG
In desperation, we asked Landon to let Evie borrow Tink to see if that would help her mood.

There was a short line to check in to the restaurant, but my mom was brushing off all these setbacks like a champ.

03.JPG

Looking at the photos, I guess I was the only one out of sorts by my daughter’s attitude. Probably the difference between a parent and a grandparent. Nana got to step back and let me deal with Hurricane Evie because she’d been there, done that. She’d passed that baton on to me when I decided to create Mini-Me’s.

As I mentioned earlier, lunch for the day was at my favorite place in Walt Disney World. Most of you guys know where I’m referring to, because I don’t try to hide my love of the place. But for those who don’t, we were dining at Via Napoli!

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Home of the most delicious pizza in all of Walt Disney World and the most authentic tiramisu around. A fact I can attest to since having visited Rome earlier in the year.

We waited about ten minutes before being called to our table, located near the outside seating area which was a perfect spot, because we were next to a wall. At the end of the meal when Evie got restless, I was able to let her stand and dance in that space between her chair and the wall without disturbing other guests. Definitely a convenient spot to have.

I ordered the kid’s spaghetti and meatballs for Evie, because she’s the one kid on the planet who hates pizza.

Yes, you heard me right.

She hates pizza!!!
:confused3

She doesn’t like hot dogs, either, and only tolerates chicken nuggets. She’s my future foodie; give it a few more years and she and I will be splitting meals off the adult menu in order to let her have her steak and roasted veggies…

Pasta is perfectly acceptable food, though, so she had no complaints when her dish arrived:

04.JPG

No noodle was safe from Evie’s fork.

Landon does not have the same tastes as his sister and was more than okay with getting the kid’s pepperoni pizza. And when that didn’t fill him, he snuck some of pasta from Evie:
05.JPG

What’s better than one type of carb? Two types!

My mother and I decided to split a Quatrro Formaggi pizza:
f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Hands down, the best pizza at the restaurant. So good, in fact, that my mom couldn’t resist snatching her first piece before I took a picture.

Rookie mistake, Mom. You’ve been on enough Disney trips with me to know the rules. Always grab a photo first!:rotfl:

Landon had apparently developed a hollow leg in between watching the fish and visiting Arrendalle and was STILL hungry. Fortunately for him, us adults couldn’t eat our entire pizza and had a spare piece to throw his way.

06.JPG

One of my favorite photos from the trip….that pizza was bigger than his head!

But you better believe he ate it.

If anyone wants to contribute to the feeding of Landon when he enters his teenage years, I am accepting donations at this time…

And while Landon was stuffing his face, Evie’s sour puss mood had taken a better turn, which meant I was a lot more mellow, as well.

07.JPG

I know luck has a lot to do with it, but I have just not had a bad experience at Via Napoli. I’ve eaten here approximately half a dozen times and each occasion has left me feeling relaxed, full, and happy to be in the company of family. Many a smile and laughs have happened over that Naples-style pizza, as well as several funny stories. Via Napoli housed the four forks incident, the sparkling water debacle, and most recently the espresso mistake.

When dessert time rolled around, my mom and I wasted no time in ordering two tiramisus. Look, I’m willing to split my pizza but I wanted my decadent little piece of heaven all to myself. I foolishly split this dish in Rome with Alex…wasn’t happening again!

08.JPG

Of course, I had Evie in my lap when the item arrived at the table so she managed to get a bite or two.

09.JPG

But a bite or two was all she got.

Unlike my son.

Who was sitting next to his Nana, who just so happens to be the biggest sucker when it comes to her grandson.

I looked over and she had cut a third of her cake and given it to Landon, who was inhaling it!

“Mom!”

“What? I’m allowed to give my grandson some cake…we’re at Disney!”

“I get that, but this cake has espresso in it! You just gave him straight caffeine!”

My mom’s face turned to shock and she threw her hands over her mouth. “Oh my gosh, I didn’t even think of that!”

“He’s going to be bouncing off the ceiling soon!”

:rotfl2:

Landon saw absolutely nothing wrong with the situation:

10.JPG

I just shook my head.

The afternoon was about to get really interesting.

Up Next…I Like Your Dress, It’s Really Pretty and Sparkly

I'm sorry you all have been battling sickness! Hope you feel better soon :(

I had never heard of Happy Hippos so I had to google them. They definitely look yummy!

Glad you had another great meal at Via Napoli! :rotfl: gotta laugh at your mom inadvertently giving your son coffee!

My dd doesn't like pizza either. She also doesn't like mac and cheese or really care for chicken nuggets. She loves salmon,steak, shrimp and lobster though.

I hope you are all feeling better! Germany is so beautiful- I was actually just telling DH about you living there! Of course Happy Hippos are made by Kinder. Note to self- have him bring back some of those on his next trip!

Your afternoon sounded good- minus the crabby toddler! Hope the caffeine didn't effect Landon too much... We've only ate at VN once, and it was loud and we had rude servers. I'd like to go back for the food!

I went to Via Napoli last trip and LOVED it! I also got the 4-cheese, and it was perfect! It was my favorite Disneyworld restaurant... for 24 hours until my dinner the next day!

I can't wait to see how Landon goes crazy with espresso in his system!

I have been enjoying your trip report so much! Your kids are adorable!!

I am so sorry you and your kiddos have been sick!! I am familiar with the rib injury...I broke mine when I had bronchitis last fall! I had no idea that was even a thing!!

I hope you all are feeling better soon!!!

So ... I had to google Happy Hippo. It looks like you can buy it on Amazon, but that's just people importing them from either Germany or the UK, so it's probably stupid expensive.
The good news is ... I think they've been starting to bring more Kinder stuff into the US recently (or at least I've been seeing it more recently), so maybe by the time you get back Happy Hippo will be an American staple!

Glad to hear you had another good meal at Via Napoli! I'm a little entertained by your mom giving Landon tiramisu ... oops?

My DS10 won't eat pizza either. Never has. He likes all the components, but not baked together. We pre-feed him before all Birthday parties.

Oh, and P.S., you're not the first OR the last mom to bribe kids with food to avoid meltdowns. :rolleyes1

I had heard (through @Steppesister, I think) that one of the buildings in the pavilion was designed to resemble Burg Eltz, a very popular castle in Germany. Well, I had to see for myself, because Eltz is one of my favorite sights here where I live. It’s only a little over an hour away, and it’s so beautiful that I’ll visit it when the inside is closed just to see it. There’s a hiking trail that you can take, and at the very end you round a corner and there's Eltz...it’s breathtaking.

Yes, why yes, I do think it was me. :)

As I mentioned earlier, lunch for the day was at my favorite place in Walt Disney World. Most of you guys know where I’m referring to, because I don’t try to hide my love of the place. But for those who don’t, we were dining at Via Napoli!

YAY for getting to go to your favorite place!!

Yes, you heard me right.

She hates pizza!!!
:confused3

She doesn’t like hot dogs, either, and only tolerates chicken nuggets.

Say whuuuuuu.....??? ;)

vie’s sour puss mood had taken a better turn,

Well, it's about time!

Landon saw absolutely nothing wrong with the situation:
10-jpg.311901

Of course not!! It's sugar and caffeine!

I'm sorry you all have been battling sickness! Hope you feel better soon :(

I had never heard of Happy Hippos so I had to google them. They definitely look yummy!

Glad you had another great meal at Via Napoli! :rotfl: gotta laugh at your mom inadvertently giving your son coffee!

Hah! I hope the google images did the Hippos justice. The chocolate inside is so delicious; I'm actually bringing cases home to my families when we go to FL because everyone loves them so much.

My dd doesn't like pizza either. She also doesn't like mac and cheese or really care for chicken nuggets. She loves salmon,steak, shrimp and lobster though.

Glad my daughter isn't alone in her nontraditional tastes. Although, she does eat mac and cheese, just not the boxed kind. She prefers the homeade, baked style. :sad2::rotfl2: But hopefully your DD is good about vegetables, too. I can't complain too much about Evie when she'll demolish all her veggies without a fight.

I hope you are all feeling better! Germany is so beautiful- I was actually just telling DH about you living there! Of course Happy Hippos are made by Kinder. Note to self- have him bring back some of those on his next trip!

Your afternoon sounded good- minus the crabby toddler! Hope the caffeine didn't effect Landon too much... We've only ate at VN once, and it was loud and we had rude servers. I'd like to go back for the food!

Yes! You should definitely have your husband bring you back some Happy Hippos the next time he's able. They are a million times better than kinder eggs in my opinion. They sell them by the case on base, because they know they are that popular. :rotfl:

I can see Via Napoli being loud. It does have that atmosphere about it. And sometimes after listening to the kids and the crowds, that's not always what you want out of a restaurant.

I went to Via Napoli last trip and LOVED it! I also got the 4-cheese, and it was perfect! It was my favorite Disneyworld restaurant... for 24 hours until my dinner the next day!

I can't wait to see how Landon goes crazy with espresso in his system!

Definitely the best pizza at the restaurant! I always try and eat there once a trip to get my pizza fix. :rotfl2:

I have been enjoying your trip report so much! Your kids are adorable!!

I am so sorry you and your kiddos have been sick!! I am familiar with the rib injury...I broke mine when I had bronchitis last fall! I had no idea that was even a thing!!

I hope you all are feeling better soon!!!

Isn't that the craziest thing? You never expect to hurt your ribs from coughing/sneezing. Thankfully, we're all on the up and up and making sure we take our vitamins so we don't get anything else before our Disney stay at the end of the month.

Thank you for reading and following along!

So ... I had to google Happy Hippo. It looks like you can buy it on Amazon, but that's just people importing them from either Germany or the UK, so it's probably stupid expensive.
The good news is ... I think they've been starting to bring more Kinder stuff into the US recently (or at least I've been seeing it more recently), so maybe by the time you get back Happy Hippo will be an American staple!

Glad to hear you had another good meal at Via Napoli! I'm a little entertained by your mom giving Landon tiramisu ... oops?

We are scheduled to move back to the states before some of my good friends, so I have already asked them to send me some Hippos while they can. I've also heard some of the stores on bases sell the candy because they know there's a demand for them from families that used to live overseas. One way or another, I'll get my hands on some once I no longer live in Germany. :rotfl2:

My DS10 won't eat pizza either. Never has. He likes all the components, but not baked together. We pre-feed him before all Birthday parties.

Oh, and P.S., you're not the first OR the last mom to bribe kids with food to avoid meltdowns. :rolleyes1

Yes! Evie will eat everything that goes into a pizza, just not when they are together. It's crazy to me, but at least she's not alone in her pizza-repulsion. :laughing: Just makes life a little more interesting when we're having a hectic night, because we can't simply grab a pizza and bring it home to chow down.

Yes, why yes, I do think it was me. :)

YAY for getting to go to your favorite place!!

Say whuuuuuu.....??? ;)

Well, it's about time!

Of course not!! It's sugar and caffeine!

I thought it was during your shopping around WS that you gave a little backstory to the pavilion. :goodvibes

Evie definitely throws a wrench in our plans when my family is very busy and just wants to grab a quick meal. Thankfully, the Italian restaurant we frequent serves pasta as well.

July 24th, 2017 Part 3:

Hopped up on sugar and caffeine, my mom and I braced ourselves for some rowdy kids. We left Italy and walked back the way we came. Sorry France and Morocco and Canada, no visiting you guys this trip!

Since Landon had been on a character kick the last few days, I wanted to complete our princess circuit with some gals we’d never interacted with before. And lucky for us, the wait time for their meet and greet was posted at fifteen minutes.

This was the second time I visited in July, and I have to say…the crowds were very manageable. It was busy, but it wasn’t holiday season busy. I really expected the parks to be fuller and waits to be longer since all schools were out for summer break, but I was pleasantly surprised both times. If this trend keeps up, my family might be battling the heat in July for years to come. (I mean, now that Landon is in school, going during school breaks is an inevitability. Might as well go when we’ve had good luck.)

Not surprisingly, I was taking the kids to meet Anna and Elsa in the Norway Pavilion.

Their Royal Sommerhus was lovely and provided plenty of little details to look at while we waited the short while for the meet and greet. I know most everyone has already been inside the house, but it was a new experience for me and one I’d gladly walk through again. Sure, I could go back to my original argument about Frozen in Epcot, but I won’t bore you guys with another soap box moment.

Instead I’ll just share my picture of the wooden Anna in the doorway:

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

And this sight which caught my eye:

01.JPG

These stood out to me because they reminded a lot of the Welsh Lovespoons that are sold at bazaars around here. Originally, lovespoons came from Scandanavia and were given to girls from hopeful suitors. The items carved in the spoons each represented something, such a lock for security, a bell for marriage, and balls for hopeful number of kids.

Nowadays, the lovespoons are given for anniversaries or wedding gifts, but a lot of people stationed over here buy them for everyday gifts because they are so beautiful. The intricacies in these spoons are unbelievable.
(Alex if you ever manage to catch up on reading my reports before we move you now have a great gift idea. *hint hint, wink wink*)

Landon, as expected, was very difficult to tame while standing in line. He knew he couldn’t move around or be loud, so he stood and bounced in place, smiling and laughing at absolutely nothing.
:rolleyes:

Talk about a sugar high.

Thank goodness the wait time was accurate and a short while after entering the line we were in the room to meet the sisters.

Anna was up first, I believe.

02.JPG
There goes Landon, sitting on the ground again…

03.JPG

Evie had gone the opposite route of her brother and wanted to work off her full belly with a long nap in the baby carrier. I was a little disappointed she couldn’t stay awake for the meet, because of all the princesses she was most familiar with Anna and Elsa. (Well, princess and queen.) But I guess had she been upset and fussy it would have been more stressful so better to have a sleeping baby than a crying one…

04.JPG

This was actually the only photo we managed to get of all 4 of us together. My mom and I really should’ve invested in Memory Maker, because obviously we were slacking in the group photo department.

I don’t want to say Landon was short with Anna, but he could see Elsa throughout their meet and definitely wanted to go over and say hi. Poor Anna, getting overlooked by her older sis…

05.JPG

Then again, the first statement out of Landon’s mouth when he was with Elsa was:

“Ooooh, I like your dress. It’s so sparkly!”

Landon just wanted to see the prettier dress, not necessarily the lady in it.

Aside from a little back and forth about the outfit, Elsa didn’t say much else so we grabbed another quick picture with my mom and left.

06.JPG

During lunch, I had managed to hop on the MDE app and grab my mother a 4th FP for Soarin’ that afternoon.

Seriously.

Epcot was THAT slow.

So, we all headed back over to the Land and my mom hopped in line for her second turn of the day while I took a more mellow Landon and newly awoken Evie on Living with the Land.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I love Living with the Land. Always have and always will.

And hooray!

07.JPG

The kids did as well! Even Evie. She cried a little in the beginning when it was dark, but once we got to the greenhouses she settled down and liked listening to me point out the various foods.

I don’t know how, but my mom beat me out of Soarin’ and was waiting for us at the exit to LWtL, making it easy for us to head to the exit and back towards the front of the park.

My mom suggested we stop for a picture or two since we failed to get any that morning. It was too bad Landon was crashing from his sugar high and looked zoned out in the pics.

08.JPG

09.JPG

It was the middle of the afternoon by this point, and my mom and I were ready to head back to Shades. We caught the monorail to the TTC and then the bus back to the resort. It’s not the most direct route back and forth to Epcot from Shades, but at least it’s an option. With the new parking fees at the resorts, I foresee Alex and I staying at Shades of Green more often now. We do pay a parking fee, but it’s only 7 dollars and it’s in a garage and the rooms cost a lot less than the deluxe resorts for the same square footage.

But we’ll see. I might change my tune after staying at the Polynesian for a night and remembering how amazing the resort is.:rotfl:

When we got back to the resort, our room was being cleaned by the housekeepers, so we found some comfy chairs at the end of the hallway and waited for them to finish.

10.JPG

The kids loved the oversized ottomans and got a kick out of laying on them. It took about ten minutes for our room to become available and once inside we all settled in and prepared to spend the remainder of the afternoon relaxing.

Up Next…My Very First Solo Adventure

I'm glad you had yet another great meal at Via Napoli.

Wow! I'm impressed at Landon's appetite. Growth spurt?

Again, it is funny (and very familiar to me) to see the differences in your kid's eating habits. My boys couldn't be more different. Nate was very fussy and didn't eat much at all when he was younger and Ben polished off everything in sight and had a very adventurous palate.

Sounds like you didn't fare too poorly from the kids' espresso exposure. :jumping1:

Cute meet with Anna and Elsa.

Thanks for the info about Happy Hippos (at first I was picturing Hungry Hungry Hippos), the lesson about the spoons and the background about Germany's castle. I hope to do the backstage World Showcase tour sometime on a future trip because I am fascinated with the countries of EPCOT.

:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter