This Bridge is Old, Like You! - A July 2017 and April 2018 TR *Completed + New TR Link Posted

7am is a little early for mousekeeping, even if it's a check out day! Kinda rude!

I'm glad you could check out the pool for a little, even though the kids didn't want to leave!!

OMG that pic of you and the giraffe is awesome!!

I need to check out that secret way to Pandora next time I'm there!

Hmm..definitely think you'll be coming away with a banshee ;)

Ok, I am playing catch up. And I want to get my comments in before I loose them!

This was the first time Alex had gone through the new bag check system, and he admitted that it was a lot less hectic at the monorails. We both agreed that Disney had gotten the Magic Kingdom figured out.

They just gotta put their heads together and figure out Epcot now…
Ugh, the bag check for the busses to Magic Kingdom is basically the same as before, just farther away from the entrance. It's kind of the same. And EPCOT needs more tables!

I don’t know why, but I plan our MK mornings the same way ever since we had Landon. We start off at It’s a Small World then Fastpass Peter Pan’s Flight. Every. Single. Trip.

I’m like a broken record. Once I find a way that works with my kids, I stick to it without fail.

Maybe the next trip will be different. Landon’s getting older and Evie’s beginning to hit height restricted rides, so I’m sure our touring plans will shift again.
It's funny, Disney trips are half tradition half trying new things.

We weren’t sure why it wasn’t working; our only guess was that because we didn’t have a room assignment yet the reservation wasn’t appearing on our bands. Lucky for us, a dad saw our struggles and hurried over to let us in. We could have walked around until we found a pathway that would work, but this enabled us to walk straight through.
We are staying there for 2 nights in Feb!!! YEAH!!! Did they seem strict about the bands. I am not looking to sneak in or anything, but was thinking if we finished at the park on check in day like you early, we might want to swim. Also, we may have a dis meet with Kari and family and thought that Casey might like to play in the splash area with girls while the adults talk... BORING.... I know they aren't guests there, but wondered if it would be a big deal for them to spend an hour with us at the pool.

Alex went off on his long walk while I got Landon changed and headed to the pool. Once again my band wouldn’t work, but I waited until another guest was leaving and grabbed the gate as it was closing. I felt like a criminal trying to sneak into a deluxe pool and was ready to whip out my phone and prove my reservation number to anyone who shot me a disapproving look.

“See, look, I belong here! Don’t kick me out!”
Ha!

Landon always had a blast at the Shades pool, but he took one look at the Polynesian one and it instantly became his new favorite.

07-jpg.337222
This is pretty much why my girls want to stay here. It is the only splash area that doesn't have a max height on it. All of the other ones you need to be 48" or shorter. This was a big diapointment to Morgan last time.

Immediately after he went on it the first time, he ran up to me and exclaimed, “That was awesome!!! It has a light to tell you when to go and a tunnel and it goes fast!!!”
Love it!

Bless the lifeguard’s heart, he tried to help me out. He made a circuit from one end of the pool to the other, and every time he was at the slide’s end when Landon got out, he’d ask him for a high five or a fist bump or a cheer to try and get him to keep a safe pace. He walked over to me at one point and said, “I’m trying!”
The lifeguard was probably so glad you were actually watching your kid and promoting good behavor!

I love the Festival of Fantasy parade but rarely get to see it.
I love it too. The rest of my family likes it but is willing to skip it most times. :(

To our surprise, Evie was loving every second of the show. She would watch for the next float, see who was on it, then start yelling their name and pointing.
03-jpg.338046
Seems like a perfect solution for her. Have you done the stage show with her? I bet she would like that as well.

The Cast Member who cut Evie’s hair was very polite and efficient; she tried to talk to Alex a couple of times but things kept getting misinterpreted and everyone silently agreed it was easiest not to speak. Sometimes, things get lost in translation and I think that’s what happened here.
Where was she from?

That’s what comes to mind when I think about that scene.

Glitter chaos…
:scared:
My husband HATES glitter. HATES IT! The girls didn't get glitter when we were at BBB, but maybe it is done with that bun that looks like the kids face is going to come off. They did a braid, so maybe just the bun. Something to remember if you ever take E to BBB!

Landon’s little radar ears picked up the Peter Pan terminology and honed in on it. He jumped out of his chair and ran over, hardly able to stand still long enough to let the woman preform said act.

Alex and I could do nothing but look at the madness and wonder if we’d ever see our children’s hair again.

09-jpg.338052
But it made him happy! You can get pixie dusted at the Sir Mickey Store by Cinderella's Castle and the Caroseul. It is much smaller glitter and not nearly as much! (promise) If they want it again sometime...

The line seemed to be just as long as Alex swore it was earlier, but we waited it out and got a bunch of ice waters and my precious fuel:
The lines at Starbucks are crazy! Which is why we usually don't end up getting any.... We always joke that they need a fast pass line for it. Come to think of it, can you mobile order there now?

“Sorry, ladies and gentleman, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is temporary down.”

Noooooo!

Another strike out on Big Thunder.
Oh man. Morgan would have LOST it! She would have been soooo disapointed.

Oh kids and the pool! Glad you were able to make it work to make everyone happy! Bummer that Mousekeeping was trying to chase you out. That breakfast looked delicious!

Can't wait to hear Alex's thoughts on Pandora!

7:00 a.m. is way too early for a knock/enter from housekeeping any day! I wish there was a way to let them know what time you plan on leaving so they could plan out their work as well.

Looking forward to reading more!

If mousekeeping knocked on my door at 7am on check out day I'm not sure I'd have much patience with them :rolleyes1

The view from the Poly room looks great.

I stepped out on the balcony to get my first (and only) good look at our view:
01-jpg.342215

Beautiful!!!

It was barely seven in the morning!

I know she needed to get in the room and clean so it could be turned over, but pressuring me to get out when I had 4 hours left was a little much.

Definitely rude! No way they should be knocking on the door at 7am check out day or not.

Just let me loose inside the park with a camera and zero plans, and I’d be a happy camper.

Ditto!

All caught up!

Alex practically ran Evie over to the entrance of Barnstormer to check her height. Evie’s first coaster??? Let’s go!!!

What was the verdict?

In the Cast Member’s words: “Oh, she makes it by a mile.”
The Disney magic at it's best!

Surprisingly, we had to wait a solid twenty-five minutes to get to the front of the ride. I think there might have been a mechanical issue with this ride, too, because we weren’t moving for a good portion of the time.
That ride is such a slow load ride. We consider anything under 30 mintues an ok wait in Disney.

When I told them Disney was building a Tron attraction, the dad gave me an incredulous look and hummed an “Okay.”

I swear he thought I was lying.
Ha! Maybe he didn't even know what Tron was. I didn't before they announced the ride.

Of course, the Barnstormer nightmare had soured Evie’s sunny disposition and we were soon dealing with an extremely ornery two year old. The party was over; there’d not be a lot of smiles coming from Evie anymore.
Poor Evie... Not a thrill ride gal.

But as soon as the teacups started moving, the smiles turned upside down:
08-jpg.339553

So not the successful mother/daughter time I had envisioned, but in Evie’s defense…I had just laughed at her Barnstormer nightmare rather than be empathetic to her fear. Guess I deserved it.
I would have done the same. Poor girl.

All I can assume is that the side to side motion – something I’d never experienced before – really threw my body into limbo and it wasn’t reacting well to the new sensation. It was probably the worst I’ve ever felt coming off a coaster (even Mission:Space) but I did my best not to let my disappointment shine through to Landon. He was acting like 7DMT’s emissary and would have been very crestfallen to realize it didn’t live up to expectations.
Oh man! I am sorry you didn't like it after all of that waiting! It is super short. I do hope that the waits go down once Tron is open. We like it but not that much to wait that long.

Aside from making that decision, dinner was unremarkable. Landon and Evie did more waving then they did eating.

09-jpg.339556
THat is the best seat in the house. I guess you can ask a CM for some signs that they have. And hold them up that say different things. A cute little touch!

Any time watermelon is involved, it’s a party.:laughing:
What did he tell the Princess the one time that he wanted to take on the picninc?

“I can’t make any promises, but I’ll log into the system and see if I can refund you the difference of the two parties. No sense in paying for seats you aren’t going to use.”

Alex and I were surprised. We hadn’t expected the kind gesture, especially since we thought we had paid for the Rose Garden experience. After we got back home, we did see that the nice CM had indeed gotten some of our money back.

Awesome!:thumbsup2
So many of the CM are great at disney!

Great photo! I def want to do this on our next trip!

For all the late night shenanigans my kids participated in, they still woke up bright and early at six a.m.
My girls are the SAME way!

I stepped out on the balcony to get my first (and only) good look at our view:
01-jpg.342215

My goodness! What a sight to behold!
Amazing VIEW!!!!!!

The woman who knocked was very nice and sweet, but she did bring up me checking out and kind of asked when I thought I’d be out of the room.

So, this happened to us when we were checking out of FQ. It was a little later and we were literally packing up all of our stuff. I am guessing that alot of people head out early for the parks, that it is worth check? Kind of annoying though.

Alex’s plate was a smorgasbord of breakfast delights:
We usuallly get something like this and feed all of us in the morning. None of us are big breakfast eaters. And those platters are big!

Bleary-eyed, Alex and I listened to Landon beg us to take him down to the pool again. We were living that scene in the Lion King, where Simba pushes a sleeping Mufasa and yanks on his ear and whines “Daaaaad.”

All made complete with the “he’s your son” comment from me.
Haha, I love it!

I know she needed to get in the room and clean so it could be turned over, but pressuring me to get out when I had 4 hours left was a little much.
Wow, that is pretty ridiculous! Especially at a place like the Poly which is so nice, you want to spend as much time as possible!
Alex wasn’t sure what to expect so he’d ordered us each our own meal; honestly, he could have ordered half that and we would have been all right.
Yeah, I honestly usually order a kids breakfast platter whenever I do QS breakfast and it's plenty of food!

Got to see baby hippo butt:
03-jpg.342217
Oh so cute!

Even both kids were thoroughly enjoying themselves. (The safari is one of the few attractions that Evie loves.)
Ok, I thought I remembered you mentioning that, which is why I did the animals book for her!

He gave me grief for taking that photo, but I always want to highlight how much he helps me out in the parks. There’s not too many times where he hasn’t offered to push a stroller, carry a backpack, run back to the room for diapers, or tie a lazy wife’s shoe. Nothing will top walking around Animal Kingdom Lodge until two in the morning with a 13 month old Landon who wouldn’t sleep, but everything has been appreciated.:love:
You know, even I noticed that he was pretty helpful at DLP. Making sure to pitch in and take charge when necessary. I really need to find a Disney guy like that! :rotfl:

Ahhhh!!!!

Nice!

Sounds like an amazing morning- some pool time for the kids and then a (rare) beautiful day at Animal Kingdom. It is usually hotter than the surface of the sun there!

I remember seeing some of your Poly pictures before our trip and getting so excited over the resort. It definitely lived up to the hype!

It was surprising how nice AK was that day, especially that late into spring.

7am is a little early for mousekeeping, even if it's a check out day! Kinda rude!

I'm glad you could check out the pool for a little, even though the kids didn't want to leave!!

OMG that pic of you and the giraffe is awesome!!

I need to check out that secret way to Pandora next time I'm there!

Hmm..definitely think you'll be coming away with a banshee ;)

I didn't have issues with her knocking on the door, since I knew that was a new policy but was definitely surprised when she started asking about check out!

Haha, I have a friend that's been on the fence about going to Disney so I sent her that picture of the giraffe to try and convince her to book a trip.

We are staying there for 2 nights in Feb!!! YEAH!!! Did they seem strict about the bands. I am not looking to sneak in or anything, but was thinking if we finished at the park on check in day like you early, we might want to swim. Also, we may have a dis meet with Kari and family and thought that Casey might like to play in the splash area with girls while the adults talk... BORING.... I know they aren't guests there, but wondered if it would be a big deal for them to spend an hour with us at the pool.

The day we were there nobody seemed too strict about the bands. I don't know if it's because they saw us trying to use them and being surprised they weren't working or if they just weren't paying much attention to us.
I can't say it'll work, but I think if you meet up with Kari outside of the pool area and use your band to enter the area as a group nobody will say anything. But no promises, since you could end up with a super strict CM hanging about...

Seems like a perfect solution for her. Have you done the stage show with her? I bet she would like that as well.

Where was she from?

We haven't done a stage show yet, but that's definitely on our To Do list now.
I think she was from Ecuador.

My husband HATES glitter. HATES IT! The girls didn't get glitter when we were at BBB, but maybe it is done with that bun that looks like the kids face is going to come off. They did a braid, so maybe just the bun. Something to remember if you ever take E to BBB!

But it made him happy! You can get pixie dusted at the Sir Mickey Store by Cinderella's Castle and the Caroseul. It is much smaller glitter and not nearly as much! (promise) If they want it again sometime...

Oooh, this is good to know!!! I have no doubt Landon will want to be "pixie dusted" again so we'll be sure to take him to Sir Mickey. The less glitter the better. And you're right, I didn't notice any glitter in the pictures of your girls from BBB.

Oh kids and the pool! Glad you were able to make it work to make everyone happy! Bummer that Mousekeeping was trying to chase you out. That breakfast looked delicious!

Can't wait to hear Alex's thoughts on Pandora!

The days of picking hotels based on what Alex and I want are gone; now it's all about which place has the best pool area!

The breakfast was really good, all things considered.

7:00 a.m. is way too early for a knock/enter from housekeeping any day! I wish there was a way to let them know what time you plan on leaving so they could plan out their work as well.

Looking forward to reading more!

I knew she was just trying to do her job, but on the other hand...if we didn't have kids we probably wouldn't have been up that early and the girl would've came in while we were sleeping. Just a weird situation all around.
I know Alex always calls the front desk to let them know when we're out of the room so housekeeping can come in as soon as possible, but other than that there's not a better way to let them know.

That is an awesome view. Don't blame ya for wanting to stay there again.

I know isn't that a beautiful quite path, I fell in love with it.

I really wish we could have enjoyed that view for a few more days. The deluxe resorts can be a vacation in and of themselves.

If mousekeeping knocked on my door at 7am on check out day I'm not sure I'd have much patience with them :rolleyes1

The view from the Poly room looks great.

All I could think was that if I didn't have the kids, mousekeeping probably would have walked in on me sleeping. Maybe they had a lot of people checking in that day and wanted to turn the rooms over as quickly as possible...I don't know. It was strange, though.

For me, nothing beats the savannah view from AKL, but this was a very close second! I don't think I ever imagined I'd see Space Mountain from my room before.

Beautiful!!!

Definitely rude! No way they should be knocking on the door at 7am check out day or not.

Ditto!

I regretted not being able to stay longer and enjoy that view!

All I can think is that they desperately needed to turn the rooms over and were being pressured to get it done quickly. Since the kids had us up so early, I didn't think much of it until afterwards. Then I was like, "Man, that was an early visit!"

All caught up!

That ride is such a slow load ride. We consider anything under 30 mintues an ok wait in Disney.

Ha! Maybe he didn't even know what Tron was. I didn't before they announced the ride.

That's very true. I didn't think of it that way.

Oh man! I am sorry you didn't like it after all of that waiting! It is super short. I do hope that the waits go down once Tron is open. We like it but not that much to wait that long.

Agreed, the wait didn't seem to match the ride. Several people have suggested a good brand of motion sickness medicine, so I'm hoping to take that and that'll take care of the side to side issues.

THat is the best seat in the house. I guess you can ask a CM for some signs that they have. And hold them up that say different things. A cute little touch!

Really?! I had no idea! Oh dear, I don't think I'm ever gonna get Landon to leave once I try this trick. He could sit and wave to guests all day long, and add in signs?? Forget it.

What did he tell the Princess the one time that he wanted to take on the picninc?

Haha, carrot sticks.

I don't know where he comes up with this stuff. Because while, yeah, we always eat fruits and veggies every day...Landon also eats his share of gummies and lollipops.

We usuallly get something like this and feed all of us in the morning. None of us are big breakfast eaters. And those platters are big!

The platters were huge! Much bigger than we were expecting.

Yeah, I honestly usually order a kids breakfast platter whenever I do QS breakfast and it's plenty of food!

That makes the most sense. Next time, I think we could split the burrito and a kid's platter and everyone would be happy.

Ok, I thought I remembered you mentioning that, which is why I did the animals book for her!

Haha, she calls it her "animals." So she'll come up to me and ask, "Mom, can I water my animals?" It was and still is a big hit!!

You know, even I noticed that he was pretty helpful at DLP. Making sure to pitch in and take charge when necessary. I really need to find a Disney guy like that! :rotfl:

Like everyone, he's got his faults. I could go on for days about his clutter everywhere, but in the grand scheme of things he's great and I really notice his absence when I'm at Disney with the kids. I don't think I'd want to go as often with them if I didn't have someone to tag team the responsibilities with.
And there's a lot of DIS dads out there who are really helpful...there's actually a club for it so they're out there! Hopefully one in the making will cross paths with you one day.

Ok first off, if housekeeping rapped my door at 7am I’d think someone was dead! Seriously!! I’d be wondering what the emergency was! That's way too early kids or not!
Love that you got a little pool time before you left.
Animal Kingdom sure is your happy place ( even if it’s not Alex’s favorite). Your smile just says it all :) Great photo with the giraffe and love that it’s a ride you all enjoy

Last edited:
The day we were there nobody seemed too strict about the bands. I don't know if it's because they saw us trying to use them and being surprised they weren't working or if they just weren't paying much attention to us.
I can't say it'll work, but I think if you meet up with Kari outside of the pool area and use your band to enter the area as a group nobody will say anything. But no promises, since you could end up with a super strict CM hanging about...
We will see. Regardless, I am sooooo excitied to stay there in Feb!

We haven't done a stage show yet, but that's definitely on our To Do list now.
Def, from the sounds of it, she will def like that. I remember that was one of the things we did on our very first day. And Morgan was going to explode seeing all the characters.

Oooh, this is good to know!!! I have no doubt Landon will want to be "pixie dusted" again so we'll be sure to take him to Sir Mickey. The less glitter the better. And you're right, I didn't notice any glitter in the pictures of your girls from BBB.
And it's free! Usually one of the CM will have a wand looking thing and will say some magical spell type thing and sprinkle it on. I will try to have the girls do it in Feb so you can see the size reduction of glitter size. ;)

Really?! I had no idea! Oh dear, I don't think I'm ever gonna get Landon to leave once I try this trick. He could sit and wave to guests all day long, and add in signs?? Forget it.
Ha! Sometimes those are thing silly things they remember the best.

Ok first off, if housekeeping rapped my door at 7am I’d think someone was dead! Seriously!! I’d be wondering what the emergency was! That's way too early kids or not!
Love that you got a little pool time before you left.
Animal Kingdom sure is your happy place ( even if it’s not Alex’s favorite). Your smile just says it all :) Great photo with the giraffe and love that it’s abride you all enjoy

I tried to give Mouskeeping the benefit of doubt...maybe she saw Alex leave to go to breakfast and knew we were awake? Either way, yeah they could have waited a bit longer.

I really do love Animal Kingdom and it makes me so happy that Evie seems to love the park, as well. Something we can hopefully visit together for a long time.

We will see. Regardless, I am sooooo excitied to stay there in Feb!

Def, from the sounds of it, she will def like that. I remember that was one of the things we did on our very first day. And Morgan was going to explode seeing all the characters.

And it's free! Usually one of the CM will have a wand looking thing and will say some magical spell type thing and sprinkle it on. I will try to have the girls do it in Feb so you can see the size reduction of glitter size. ;)

Ha! Sometimes those are thing silly things they remember the best.

I bet! The Polynesian is so great; I hope you love it as much as I did.

I think there's a couple stage shows in DLP, so I'll have to try and let Evie watch them when we're there next month.

Ooh, yes, let the girls get pixie dusted so I know what to expect!

Well, you know how many banshees we ended up with :rotfl2:

:rotfl2::rotfl: I actually thought of your banshee experience as I was typing that sentence!

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 Part 2:

01.JPG

Inside Pandora, the first place Alex wanted to go was the gift shop. A new land meant a new store which meant new merchandise. Shelf after shelf of toys, decorations, models that had never been seen before!

All right up my husband’s alley.

I found this coffee cup and thought it was interesting:
f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Didn’t buy it, though. Not a big enough fan of Avatar to have it hanging out in my kitchen.

I did have enough patience to wait out the hordes of people posing with this in order to get a shot of my own:
f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Anyone else love Zoe Saldana? To be in half the movies she has been in…

I made a quick pass through the rest of the shop and reunited with Alex next to the entrance, where he was looking at the banshees on display. A Cast Member spotted him and came over with a model banshee, bending down so Landon and Evie could get a closer look.

Just what every parent wants, for their kid to notice the expensive and slightly ridiculous toy. I would have intercepted the well meaning CM, but I had been too busy examining the avatar dolls. Forget banshees! Those dolls looked awesome!

As a kid who grew up on Barbies, I would have lost my mind if I’d been able to create a toy that looked like an Avatar version of me. Why isn’t this talked about as much?!

Evie thought the banshee was okay but lost interest quickly; Landon was fascinated by how the machinery worked. The CM put the banshee on Alex’s shoulder and immediately Landon was trying to match which lever turned the creature’s head and which the wings.

I wouldn’t say he liked the actual toy so much as he was fascinated by its working parts. This is the same kid who has tried to dissemble a remote control car and a television remote and who also ran off with an instruction manual while Alex was building the furniture piece.:rotfl:

I knew the banshee would keep him interested and there was a tiny voice in the back of my head saying, “Oh just get it for him.” But there was also a louder voice going, “It’ll sit on his bookshelf after a week.”

Finally, Alex was the one who told me we should wait until he was a few years older and then see if he still liked it, and if he was then we could buy both kids a banshee.

“And the dolls. We need those Avatar dolls in our lives.”

“Whatever you want, Alicia.”:rotfl2:

Outside the store, Alex and I made a big circle around the land in an effort to see everything and take in some of the more intricate details around us.

02.JPG

I had only seen Pandora at night before this, and I much preferred how it looked in the daytime. All the fauna was visible, the colors popped more, and the landscape seemed more expansive in the daytime. The forced perspective did its job and did it well. My brain thought we were at the base of a huge mountainous region with alien creatures all around.

Animal Kingdom has perfected the art of having the setting be an attraction in and of itself. Had we been running to an attraction, I probably wouldn’t have tried to take in all the little details and would have completely missed that this was a shaman:

f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

My family also stopped and listened to the new drum ceremony show for a minute or two. I would have stayed and watched the whole set, because it was really good, but everyone was getting hungry and the place was too crowded to be comfortable. However, next time I’m there I want to see the show beginning to end.

Lunch for today was at Satu’li Canteen. Alex and I utilized the mobile ordering again but weren’t aware that nobody could sit down until they had food in hand. So in reality, we ended up waiting as long as the people in the regular line for our food and for a seat. Poor planning on our part, but now we know for the future. I’ve heard Woody’s Lunchbox is the same way, and I’m sure it has to do with the fact that people would go into the sitting areas and take up table real estate if it wasn’t monitored.

For this meal, I got smart and ordered off the kid’s menu which was something I did a lot of last summer but somehow forgot to do up until this meal of this trip. It worked out perfectly, though, because I got the kid’s cheeseburger pod meal that came with grapes and vegetable chips. Evie got the same thing, Landon got a cheese quesadilla, and Alex got the beef bowl.

03.JPG

04.JPG

We also got the chocolate cake and blueberry cream cheese mousse to split.

And the general consensus?

We loved it!!:love:

The cheeseburger pods did indeed taste like the McDonald’s hamburger they have been compared to so many times before, and that must have been just fine with Evie because she demolished hers. I think she really appreciated having something other than nuggets and fries to eat and liked the crunch of the veggie chips.

Alex claimed that Satu’li Canteen was the best meal we’d eaten during that trip and one of his new favorite restaurants. He loved the unique (yet still safe) menu options, the flavoring of everything, and the way he walked away feeling full but not lethargic from too much grease and fried meat.

I enjoyed my cheeseburger pod but didn’t get more than a few bites; Landon had buyer’s regret and didn’t want his quesadilla after seeing Evie with her pod. I made him eat one of his two quesadillas, then gave him the remaining half of my entrée while I took the second quesadilla.
It was the same kind you’d make at home with a tortilla and shredded cheese, definitely only worthy of ordering if you have an extremely picky kid who won’t eat anything else.

Besides, I was most looking forward to the blueberry mousse. I had been dying to try it once I saw the item pop up on a few trip reports, and I was very excited to finally try it for myself.

The dessert did not disappoint.

It was tangy with a hint of sweetness and very light for a mousse cake. Normally, I have to share my Disney desserts with someone, but this time I regretted not having one for myself! I kept encouraging the kids to take bites out of dad’s chocolate concoction. Landon was on board with that idea, but Evie was like me and loved the blueberry!

05.JPG

Evie’s my Animal Kingdom buddy through and through. We’ll go visit the animals, take cute photos, and eat blueberry cake while the boys hop from coaster to coaster.

Unfortunately, when the meal came to an end so did our time in Pandora. Alex had a FOP Fastpass for 2:30 but we realized we couldn’t stay that late and still make the drive back to my parent’s house in a reasonable time. So, I hopped on the MDE app and made some lucky park visitor very happy by cancelling our pass. One man’s loss is another’s gain…

The four of us walked to the main entrance/exit where the bioluminesct lights are, with me stopping and trying and failing to take a selfie in front of some pretty flowers:

06.JPG

Then walking out of the land and to the front of the Tree of Life, I remembered at the last minute that we had forgotten to buy some gifts for our friend’s kids who were watching our dog for us and who had gotten our kids gifts when they had visited the parks in January.

We hopped inside Island Mercentile (birthplace of my still favorite Dooney bag) and I set Alex loose.

Find me some toys!
:rotfl:

The excursion took way longer than it should have, but that’s probably due to the fact that I was finding cool stuff I liked versus what a six and three year old would enjoy.

Such as:
f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

A Lion King cup!

And:

f5 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

An African dog plush!

Andddd:

07.JPG
A Jim Shore Lion King piece.

One more, one more:
f6 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

A Peter Pan mug!!!!

I didn’t buy any of those items and regret them all! My kids carry approximately ten stuffed friends up and down the stairs with them every morning and that dog plush would have been the perfect addition to their entourage. (This is what Alex and I call the armload of friends) And the kids would have loved to look at the Peter Pan characters during breakfast while I drank my coffee.

I hope all this stuff is still there in 2019, because I’m buying them all the next time I see them.

Just take all my money, Animal Kingdom!

I was still failing at finding gifts, but I did stumble upon a large amount of Avengers toys for sale that I’d never seen before.

08.JPG

I told the kids they could pick one of the figurines if they wanted and Landon picked the Hulk while Evie went with Groot. At the time I thought they were unique and exclusive toys, but the next day when I went to Kohl’s with my mom and I got Alex the Iron Man one for 7 bucks…when they were 20 at the parks.

Oops. Mistake on my part but being overseas we’re out of the loop on what’s popular in department stores. And besides, the kids played with them the whole way home and Landon took the Hulk in for show and tell during the school year. So it was worth it.

But we still didn’t have anything for our friends!

Good grief.

Eventually, we settled on a stuffed Ewok for the three year old and an Elena necklace for the six year old.

However, with the purchases complete it was really time to go.

Alex and I got to see Devine on the way out of the park:

09.JPG

The kids completely missed her. She was nailing the camouflage that day.

And then when we were at the exit, boarding a tram to take us back to our car and away from property. In the blink of an eye our short Disney getaway was over. Alex and I thought we’d be good with what we could squeeze in, but it ended up having the opposite effect. Getting to ride the monorail to our deluxe resort room, eating at a new restaurant, perusing the vast merchandise all came together to remind us how much we love Disney.

And how much we miss our “real trips.”

The last time both of us has stayed at Disney together for longer than one or two nights was in 2015. Evie hadn’t even been born yet!! And here we were in 2018 with kids who were more preschoolers than babies and we were having to say goodbye to our vacation before it had even begun.

The sadness was evident.

I told everyone to make their best “sad face” and snapped a picture.

This is what I got:

10.JPG

I love this picture. It perfectly captures my family. Landon playing whatever the situation is to the extreme while Evie goes in a completely unexpected direction.

I went to look at the photo and burst into laughter when I saw what I’d gotten. I showed it to Alex and together our moods went from sad to happy. We had been able to spend two beautiful days with our kids, without having to drop them off at school or buy snacks for class. We weren’t interrupted by work meetings or game nights with friends or doctor’s appointments. It was two days where our full attention was on each other, and as much as we would have loved more time at Disney what we lost in entertainment was gained in valuable family time.

I never would have guessed how busy the kids’ schedule would become as they grow up or how full mine would be the longer I live at our current base (Alex has always been and always will be mind boggling, chaotically, busy) and therefore I relished this time with my loved ones. It wasn’t so much that I got to ride Dumbo (although that was awesome) it was that I got to ride it with my son next to me and my daughter and husband sitting behind me. Some of my happiest memories – Landon describing 7DMT, Evie smiling at Minnie Mouse, Alex’s grin when someone complimented his Disney shirt choice – happened because I was at a happy place with the most important people in my life.

So as we settled ourselves into car seats and prepared for the six hour car ride, I focused on everything we had gotten out of this Disney trip and not what we wished we’d had. And since leaving Alex and I have made a firm promise to return to Disney and go on a legitimate trip with the kids.

None of this day trip nonsense, none of this last minute FP hunting, none of this compromising.

No matter where we’re moving next, we have agreed to take a week in between places and go back to Disney. Obviously, nothing is set in stone yet, because our entire lives are up in the air, but hopefully this goal will pan out and we’ll get to take an overdue Disney trip.

Until that fictional vacation evolves into a reality, though, I will have to get my Disney fix in via writing about our Disneyland Paris experience over the summer. Now that this report is officially wrapped up, I’ll soon make a new thread covering that trip and will post the link on here. I hope you all will join me over there as I talk about a really awesome trip and talk about my growing appreciation for the Paris parks.

And if you do follow my family’s adventures over there, you’ll also get to hear about my crazy mission to run the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon in September! It’ll be filled with lots of DLP pictures, DISers, and Landon’s one liners.

Thank you, everyone, for reading and following along. It’s been awhile since I’ve had this much fun writing a trip report and that’s all because of you guys. It was a pleasure to share my kids’ crazy antics, my husband’s shopping passion, and my enthusiasm with you all. For a few hours every week I got to step back into Disney World and remember the magic that makes the parks what they are, for that I can’t thank you all enough.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Aw Alicia thank you for having us along on your adventures. What a fab last day and your summing up of all that the trip brought you brought a lump to my throat! Sometimes we all need to slow down and just appreciate the here and now and you guys certainly did just that. I will definitely be following you on all your future adventures. Good luck with the race :)

Alex had a FOP Fastpass for 2:30 but we realized we couldn’t stay that late and still make the drive back to my parent’s house in a reasonable time. So, I hopped on the MDE app and made some lucky park visitor very happy by cancelling our pass. One man’s loss is another’s gain…

That is really too bad that he missed it! But you are right that you made somebody else very happy!

I love your sad face selfie, :laughing:

Looking forward to your DLP report!

Thank YOU for taking the time to share your experience with us! Some of us (me) are too lazy to take the time. I like that you chose to focus on what you were able to do vs what you missed out on. I'll be looking for your link!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter