"This ain't our first rodeo!" The G's do Disney! July 1 ~ 7, 2019

PoohGal05

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I don't post often, but I do read, particularly when it gets close to planning/booking our own Disney World vacations! So with that said, let's get this party started! Let me introduce you to my Disney World lovin' family.

Me: I'm Angi! I turned 50 this year and I am celebrating all year long. Trust me when I tell you, after the way this year has been going, we really needed this trip to Disney World.

Then, there's my mom Ruth, affectionately known as Neno. She's loved Disney World every since our first trip in 2003. She's only been to Disneyland, right after it opened when she was in Job Corp in the 60s.

Lastly, there's my son Onesimus. He's 10 and will be going starting 6th grade in the fall. His first trip to Disney World was when he was in 2009. He doesn't remember the trip, but we remember the trip for him.

Preface:
We had been planning to go to Disney World since our previous trip in 2016. After we sold our house earlier this year and had money left from the sell of the house, we knew we wanted to go and started planning. Some other things happened which more or less slowed planning down. We originally planned to stay at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so we booked there. After we ran the numbers, we decided as much as we wanted to, we just couldn't afford to stay there without cutting either the number of days we would want to go or cutting the dining plan or the number of days in the parks, none of which we liked. So I switched us to All Star Movies. Other things came up and we eventually landed us at All Star Sports. I asked my mom if she minded if we stayed there, since neither of us are sports fans. She said she didn't mind, as we wouldn't be in the room much anyway. So we booked Sports in mid April. I later added the tickets. Then we put pen to paper and decided where we wanted to eat so we could add the Deluxe Dining Plan. We know what and where we like to eat, so THAT part was easy. The hard part was going to be if we could the places we wanted to eat since we were less than 3 months out from traveling. As quick as we decided where we would be eating, I called Disney and we were able to get all but one place! SCORE!

So with all that being said, ON WITH THE SHOW!

The G's would like to invite you along on our vacation! We're headed to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida! Final preps are underway!
This morning I was up early to check us in with our airline. While checking our check in status, I discovered my mom has TSA pre check. She's excited! I also discovered on a second check that Onesimus and I ALSO have TSA pre check! WHOA!!

We're cleaning the house this morning. I have an appointment with my hairdresser to get my hair done. We had Onesimus' hair cut on Friday. We've bagged up snacks (grapes, cookies, cheese crackers, peanut butter crackers, and an assortment of other munchies) for the plane.
My mom is playing twenty questions about EVERYTHING!

We're excited for what the week has for us!

Today is our travel day to Walt Disney World! We set our alarms for a 2:00 wake up (that's AM folks). We got up, dressed, loaded the car, and were off to the airport at 3:00. Took us about 20 minutes to get to the airport. I was in the wrong lane and ended us up at baggage claim instead of the terminal lane. No worries. My brother helped us unload the car, hugged us all, then took off. We used the elevator to get upstairs to the terminal. The ticket counter didn't open until 4:00, so we waited. The line was getting long, so we got in line. When the ticket agent arrived shortly after 4:00, he was greeted with applause! We checked our bags, then headed towards security. As we had pre check, we went through a separate line. I went first and Onesimus was behind me. As I stepped up to the counter, the agent asked if it was my birthday. I told her, 'Not yet', without realizing I was wearing my 50th birthday shirt. As I going through the metal detector, I heard the agent ask Onesimus how to say his name. He even spelled it for her!

After Onesimus and I got through security, my mom was behind us setting the detector off. She had knee braces on and they had metal in them. When she finally came over to the bench, she had her braces in her hand. I helped her put them back on, and we headed to our gate, across from security. We went for quick restroom breaks, then waited to board. Our flight wasn't full, so we were able to find 3 seats together. An uneventful flight flight. Onesimus slept a bit. We arrived in St. Louis about 5 minutes early. We got food at Burger King, then called my brother to let him know we'd landed.
We're currently on board waiting for take off.

We're here! We arrived at MCO 20 minutes early. We took the monorail from the gates to Magical Express. We checked in to Magical Express. The CM noticed 50th birthday shirt and told me, 'Happy Birthday Princess!' and gave me a birthday sticker and sent us to line 11 for AS Sports. We were in line for 15 minutes before we boarded. We're on our way to our resort!

So after about a 20 minute ride, we arrived at the resort, All Star Sports. We checked in around 1:00 and our room was ready!! We are in the Touchdown building, close to the main building, third floor. As soon as we got in the room, Onesimus came right out of his shoes and socks and turned on the TV. Momma said she was hungry. I got Onesimus back into his socks and shoes and went down to catch a bus to Disney Springs for lunch at T-Rex. Our ADR was at 3:45. It took a lot of walking in circles and stopping because of the heat before we found T-Rex. I went to the podium and asked if we could get in earlier than our reservation time, which was almost an hour early. The hostess was able to get us in early. We were seated and our drink orders were taken. Our server asked if we were on the dining plan, which we are. He told us we could each have an appetizer, an entree, drinks, and a dessert. We ordered mozzarella sticks, pretzel and cheese, and natchos to share. For entrees, I ordered the pasta with grilled chicken, Momma had the ribs with fries, and Onesimus had the kid's pizza and applesauce. The waiter said he could order from the regular menu, as he's 10. Onesimus said he wanted the pizza and applesauce. Our food was put in and arrived in a reasonable amount of time. Everything was good. I didn't finish mine and neither did my mom. Momma took hers to go. Onesimus snarfed his right down. After dinner, we ordered desserts. Several waiters came with our desserts and sang Happy Birthday to us, as we were all wearing birthday buttons. I had the raspberry and mango sorbet with a candle in it and Onesimus had my mom shared the donut holes with chocolate and carmel sauce to go. We tried a donut hole. They were dusted with powdered sugar and OH SO YUMMY! They were still warm! The waiter returned and tapped my band for the meal and brought the receipt. He said our meal was $124. However, as I was looking at the receipt for our meal, I noticed there were margaritas on the bill. I pointed it out the waiter. He had brought us another table's ticket. He took the ticket back and brought us the correct one. It was more than the other one, which we expected.
I had left my phone in the room to charge, so we took pictures with my mom's phone. We had planned on going to a park after dinner, but as we've up since 2:00 (that would be AM), we decided to go back to the resort and call it an early night.
Currently, Onesimus is on lizard patrol. Momma is relaxing after being up for since 12:30.
We're off to Epcot and Hollywood Studios in the morning.

This morning, we left our resort to have breakfast at the Polynesian at Ohana with Lilo and Stich. We took a bus to Magic Kingdom, then hopped on a monorail. As we were boarding the monorail, I got on first, then Onesimus, then Neno. Onesimus has NO filter, as he announced, 'It smells like a zoo!' I guess he was referring to other people and different body odors, I don't know. In any case, I got so tickled by his comment. Luckily, we were the only three in the car. My mom didn't help the matter either, as she announced, 'I thought it smelled like a horse.' More laughing from me. My family! Sheesh!

Anyway, we made it inside for our dining. Unfortunately, it was too early to check in. I couldn't check in until 15 minutes before our reservation time. The CM hostess suggested for us to get a picture with Pluto while we waited, which Onesimus and I did. We looked around the gift shops for a ball cap for Onesimus, which we didn't find. It was 8:55, so I checked us in. The hostess took my cell number to text me when our table was ready. In a few minutes, I received a text and we went to where we would greeted by a cousin to be taken to our table.

I have food restrictions, which was on our ticket. I told our cousin Deseri what I could eat. She had Chef Harvey come to our table and I could talk to him. He made me eggs with no milk, Mickey waffles made with rice flour, ham with no pineapple glaze and seasoned potatoes. I also had apple juice, since I couldn't have the Stitch juice, which is pineapple, orange juice, and guava. We also had friendship bread. I asked our cousin if we could purchase the bread at the resort. She said it wasn't available for purchase. Before we left, she brought us a piece of the friendship bread in a to go box!

Another funny thing during breakfast. This meal is served family style. Onesimus was serving himself a helping of eggs from the skillet. His plate wasn't close enough to the skillet, but his juice glass was, because most of his eggs ended up in his glass. We suggested to him to fish out the eggs, but Onesimus said he'd just ask cousin to bring him another glass. When Cousin buzzed past our table and Onesimus caught her attention, he told her that he'd dropped his eggs in his juice. Without missing a beat or a step, cousin Deseri said, 'Don't do that. That tastes yucky.' Neno and I laughed. I don't think Onesimus was as amused! Eventually, he got a new glass of juice.

After breakfast, our cousin Deseri brought cupcakes for birthday celebrations, which I also couldn't have, with cards for all. I got a donut and some cookies made without flour. As we left the restaurant, we let a manager know how wonderful our cousin was! There had been issues with some tables not getting some of the characters and cousin Deseri was straightening out the issues and she kept a smile on her face!
We left the resort headed to Epcot on the monorail. We had to transfer to the Epcot monorail. We got to Epcot and headed to our first FastPass, Soarin'. It was fun and we would have actually ridden it on standby a second time, but the time was 45 minutes. We were on schedule. We weren't hungry and it was past noon at this point, so we decided to do the Living Seas with Nemo and friends. Basically a walk on. On the other side of the ride are huge fish tanks with sea life. Onesimus asked for my phone to take pictures and videos. We stayed here for a while, then everyone decided it was time to eat. We took the boat launch from the start of the World Showcase to the other side to Morocco. It was too hot to walk the World Showcase to the America pavilion where we were having lunch at Liberty Inn. From Morocco, we had to walk past China, then into the America pavillion. We decided what we wanted. Momma didn't want anything but some water. She wanted to try the apple pie cheesecake. I had the Cobb salad with grilled chicken and a bottle of water. Onesimus wanted a hamburger with fries and an orange soda. Onesimus doesn't like cheese on his hamburger. We asked for a burger without it. I had to get my mom's water as a snack credit. With the dining plan, at the quick service, I could get a drink OR the dessert, jut not both. Since I was having water with my meal, I got my mom's water and the apple pie cheesecake using two snack credits. I ate half of my salad, Onesimus ate his hamburger and left most of the fries. Momma ate a couple of bites the cheesecake. She said it was too sweet. It was. I tried it.

We decided after dinner at 50's Prime Time Cafe at Hollywood Studios, we'd go back to the resort, rest for a bit, then head back to Epcot for Illuminations. Momma said she was too tired from the heat and all the walking. The heat index was 108 degrees.
It was around 2:45 and we needed to leave Epcot by 3 or so for dinner at 50's PTC at 5:00. We walked back to Morocco and took the boat launch back to the beginning of World Showcase. It took us 30 minutes to get out of the park at the pace we were going and having to rest in the shade because of the heat.
Instead of having to take the monorail back to the TTC then switch to a bus to Hollywood Studios, there was a bus from Epcot to Hollywood Studios. It was 4:00 when we arrived at HS. It was too early to check in for our reservation. Onesimus wanted to ride Star Tour. Momma didn't. We found a bench for her, found the Star Tour on the map and went to ride. Standby was 30 minutes, but actual time was quicker than that. The time on and off the ride total was 30 minutes. After the ride, it was time to check in for our reservation. We went and got Momma from the bench, then checked in. Within 5 minutes of checking in, they called the Garner kids for dinner. I had been given an allergy menu.m, although I knew what I'd be ordering. Our server was cousin Laura. We ordered drinks, appetizers and entrees. Cousin Laura even brought the chef to talk to me about the food. As I was having roast beef, he explained about the mashed potatoes having milk. I explained about my not having milk and other things wasn't about an allergy, but a dietary restriction. Momma ordered the fried chicken with corn and fries. Onesimus ordered from the kids menu, mac and cheese and corn.

None of us really ate much. I had a lot of roast. Momma ate a little bit of her chicken and took the rest to go. Onesimus said he didn't care for the macaroni. We took the desserts to go as well.

After dinner we headed towards the busses for the resort. Momma said she wouldn't be going to see Illuminations. She was too tired.
After we got back and rested, Onesimus and I left for Epcot around 7:30. We got there a bit before 8. Onesimus said he wanted to ride something, so we checked the wait time for Test Track. Standby time was 60 minutes. I suggested Imagination with Figment. I explained the ride to Onesimus and off we went. It was a walk on with a 5 minute wait time. We were the only ones on the ride. I did keep telling Onesimus I wanted to see Illuminations, but didn't want to have to stand. We were able to find a seat near the Lagoon. Onesimus he was thirsty, so I gave him money to get himself a soda and me a bottle of water.
The fireworks were great! Fireworks make me happy!

After the show, it took 30 minutes to get out of the park and to the bus area. There was a huge brazillian tour group and they were at the bus stop for our resort by the time we got to the stop. They were chanting like crazy. A bus driver cast member heard them and pretty much shut them down. He told the adults of this group if there was an emergency and someone needed help, with all of loud chanting this group was doing, no one would be able to hear. They stopped the chanting.
As there was 35 plus kids and adults with this group, Onesimus and I decided to sit on a bench and wait for a bus headed to our resort where we wouldn't have to stand. We were able to get on the third bus headed to our resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!