Thinking of Keystone- any suggestions?

I am planning a trip to Keystone for February. My wife does not ski and my 6 year old is just getting started (he has been twice before). We will ice skate, snowmobile, hayride, etc. We will try to stay in the River Run area. Can anyone tell me more about the swimming pool / hot tub availability for the winter months as my son loves to swim? Thanks

durango kid said:
Some Colorado insider tips. Bring sunscreen, LOTS of sunscreen. I promise a sunburn if you don't. Sunglasses are a must. Bring lotion, again lots of lotion, we have zero humidity. drink lots of water, see above. Cut way back on booze, you'll get have a buzz just from the altitude, not kidding. Have fun.
This is not just sensible advice to help you have a better time. This is very sound medical advice, which may make your vacation possible if you are susceptible to altitude sickness. Altitude sickness is not something to play with; it can be fatal in extreme cases.

I'm not sure of the altitude of Keystone base, but the town of Breckenridge is at 9600 feet -- that's 1000 feet higher than Aspen or Vail, and that's high! DW has never had a problem in either Aspen or Vail, but can't handle Breck, which we like better. Altitude sickness is caused by lack of oxygen and can affect you so badly that you may have to return to Denver to recuperate.

The two best pieces of advice are drink a LOT of water and cut back on the booze. Other strategies are staying in Denver one day to partially acclimate before going up to Keystone/Breck, and using a humidifier in your room. I'm not sure, but I guess humid air holds more O2 than dry air. Don't know why it works, but it does.

What is a general idea of points for River Run? The book only has wide ranges. Worst case during Christmas and best case, say two weeks before Christmas. Trying to understand what others have gotten.

Thanks

We stayed in Concierge's at River Run two years ago. It was very nice. 100 yards from the gondola and a 1/2 block from the small village. The restaurant was very, very good and we had a good time. DS was 7 and he loved the west cost powder.

Other than skiing and an outlet down the street - not much to do.

We did Vail and Breckenridge as well. Also, went to Denver one night to see an Avalanche game.

We are booked for this Feb. 5-9 in the River Run Village. It was 37 points per night for a two bedroom & 51 points for a 3 bedroom. I didnt ask about the others because we are going with a group of friends. We stayed in the expedition station building last january. It was about 175 yards from the lift. It had an outdoor heated pool all the kids were in it at night. They also had a hot tub. You have to request to be in a bldg with a pool because some bldgs share pools & in Feb its cold & im sure you dont want to walk to find one. I hear you can cut thru the indoor parking garage to get to the pools but why bother. Just request one with a pool. Also if you show your DVC member card you will get a 20% discount off your lift tix. Hope this helps

We booked Feb 5-9 Sunday to Thursday. They quoted us 37 pts per night for a 2 bedroom & 51 pts for a 3 bedroom per night. We didnt get a price for the one bedroom. Also you get a 20% discount off lift tix. They will charge you 3 pts per night extra for anyone over 6 persons in a 2 or 3 bedroom

bongo59 said:
we did keystone for Xmas several yrs ago and stayed in the river run section as well............it was to die for...........great great use of DVC points in our opinion..........we are going again for Xmas 2005 with 12 family members

Did you get a 2BR in the exchange? How many people did it sleep? How many points did it take?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter