• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

thinking of going at Christmas

nicola

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell<br><font color=gre
Hi again,

We are thinking of going to DLP during the Christmas season. I am wondering does anyone have any advice regarding when would be the best time to go. We would want to avoid the crowds but have not yet seen fantillusion so that would be a definite must see. Also, what would be the best hotel to stay in during the Christmas season? We have previously stayed at NPBC and HNY and loved them both. We are thinking either HNY again, the SL (never stayed there before) or should we splurge on DH? We have DD2 and DS6. Is the park at Christmas as beautiful as the pics make it out to be? We are lovers of all things disney and Christmas so I thought it would be nice to combine the two. Our previous two visits to DLP were in May and early June and we are going again this year in two weeks. We really like it there during these months as there are no crowds. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Christmas time is simply magical. Even the crowds add to the atmosphere. If you can afford to treat yourself the Dsneyland Hotel can't be beaten, but if that's not possible the Sequoia Lodge is very lovely at Christmas because its theming seems to lend itself really well to the Christmas season.

I would echo Rob's comments about the Sequoia Lodge. While I've not been at Christmastime, it is a place whose theme would be fantastic during the festive season :)

If you have any flexibility with dates, I would avoid the school holidays if you can, purely to have less crowds. I don't enjoy crowds much with my two children I must admit, although I do know what Rob means about the crowds adding to the atmosphere.

I would probably be inclined to wait and get a Winter brochure (when they are released!) and see what's on when and decide dates from there. Fantillusion is a must - see I agree!

We went on 12th December last year and I would say the atmosphere is better than you can possibly imagine from pictures - it really is magical and so beautiful. "Chante, c'est Noel" still brings me out in goosebumps and the Enchanted Fairytale Ceremony is magnificent. At weekends the park is heaving but during the week it's ok as far as crowds go. But do invest in thermals - you'll need them!!! We're staying at SL this November as everyone has said how Christmassy and cosy it is in winter. Can't wait to go back!!! :banana:

Hi Nicola,

Once again Disney at Christmas is amazing.I have been in DLRP 5 times,4 during Summer & last Christmas.I stayed in Seq Lodge.Very cosy Hotel with great pool & Leisure Facilities.I loved this Hotel even after staying in the majestic NPBC before.The rooms are comfortable & the service is impeccable as always.During Christmas & especially on New Yrs Eve the big attractions like Space Mountain,Big Thunder Mountain,Phantom Manor & Peter Pan had huge waits.Indeed every attraction had queues but this really adds to the atmosphere & I enjoy it.The entertainment in the parks is great & especially for your kids.They would love the Winter Wonderland show in Frontierland.And with the decorations,snow,tree-lighting ceremony,Day Time Parade & Fantillusion all here ye will have a great time.This year also the musical Grease will be in Disney Village & there is ice skating near NY.Hope this helps.

'Whatever one can dream one can achieve'
Jules Verne

Thanks JJ forever,

It sounds wonderful!! I am definitely sold now just need to decide which hotel. We have stayed at NPBC and HNY and loved them both. Bit worried about some comments made about SL being shabby--a would be a wee bit picky. My dh says I am a snob--I just figure if you're paying to stay somewhere you want it to be nice. Oh who am I kidding I probably am a snob!!!

Went last November at the start of the Christmas season. Not too cold but when the snow falls on Main Street :love:
It is nice to go in the summer when the weather is nicer, but Christmas time is just about the best.
As Di says Chante c'est Noel is wonderful :)

Reid

I agree with Cyrano, we went mid november just when the Christmas festivities began. The crowds were really low (walk on and stay on for a lot of the rides midweek - bit busier at weekend as per ususal). It was chilly but not freezing and for us we only had a light shower once over 4 days. Er, clarification on that point - I bathed every day - the shower was outside and referring to the rain!! :rotfl2: The only thing we missed seeing was the christmas market at the village as it didnt start until December.
Having stayed at SL, I found it fine if you booked a montana room but its a bit woody/dark for kids who prefer the clean lines Newport with the white and blue and the New Yorks city living theme (although ive not actually stayed there). We love the Cheyenne evern preferring it to the Disneyland Hotel although we'd not refuse a freebie there if one was to fall in our laps!!! Hope you have a wonderful time planning and getting excited !!

When does the typical holiday season begin? We are planning to visit in late November, the 23rd- 25th. We are normally at WDW in Orlando during this time period and the holiday decorations are going up.

I also need suggestions for a hotel with a 9 year old boy. Also, what are the typical rates for the hotels? Value? Moderate? I'm just trying to get an idea for our budget.

Thanks!!

Hi G's Mommy!

You may get a better responsde if you post a new thread but I will try and answer what I can :)

The DLP rates are (relatively) more expensive than at WDW. Bear in mind that the room rates usually already include admission to the parks (though obviously check!) you have to factor that in to your calculation.

One of the hotels which may be fun for your son (depending on your budget) is the Hotel Cheyenne with its Wild West theme. It's the second least expensive hotel, still within walking distance of the parks (or bus). Check out our Hotel FAQ thread at the top of the page!

I don;t know when the season starts this year, I am sorry.

Do the full Christmas festivities start in November or December ?

We'd like to combine the Bonfire and fireworks with the Christmas shows and snow which would mean going on 6th November.

If it meant missing some of the Christmas stuff I think I'd rather miss the fireworks and go later on :)

I think most of the Christmas stuff appears at the beginning of November. The winter brochure should be out any day now so you can check up on what's actually on. We are going on 6th November so we can catch the fireworks and then the Christmas shows, parades etc - Fantillusion is certainly on then.

6th of November it is then :)

Its worth missing out on the Christmas market to catch the bonfire celebrations.

Plus you also get the benefit of a free hotel upgrade :cool1:

Most Christmas festivities start on 5th November, I'm sure I read somewhere that the only things that don't start till December are Le Noel de Mickey (a show) and the Christmas market. We went last year in December and we are happy to trade the freezing cold weather to go in November instead - that way we get the Bonfire celebrations and the free hotel upgrade too, and hopefully it won't be so unbearably cold :cold:

Rhiannon :wizard:

Have a look on the sticky thread of trip reports. There are plenty from last Christmas to give you an inside view of the festivities.

Thanks Diberry,

Took your advice and went to the sticky threads. Have just finished reading your trip report. Very informative and lovely photos! One thing though-now even more worried about the cold (especially with 2 year old). Also took your other advice and have posted this as a seperate thread so hopefully I will get plenty of responses. Thanks again for your help.

We've always been late November or early December. DD starts Reception in September, if the school won't authorise her a few days off in November and we went in the Christmas school holidays how busy should I expect it to be. I would be thinking of going 19th - 22nd December?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter