Thinking of buying. Advice?

dgsrogers

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone, what are peoples thoughts on DVC for travellers from the UK?
We come every year and usually get a package which includes flights, hotel and tickets. Looking at hotel only options for deluxe hotels we would be paying at least £5000+ per stay for 2 weeks.

SO, If we were to buy DVC resale at say AKL for 250 points at say $100/point = $25,000 = roughly about £19,000 plus closing fees etc. Annual dues at $7.4355 x250pts (not taking into account inflation as hotel prices inflate as well) = $1860 =£1426

Paying for normal hotel non dvc for 6 trips would be about £30,000 (at least)

DVC option £19,000 + (£1426 x 6 years= £8556) = £27,556
So after 6 trips we would essentially have got our money worth? and then we would essentially just be paying annual dues at £1426 for a £5000+ room?

(also have to think about air fair but would be paying for that anyway)

Apologies if my math is out but from this it seems like DVC is worth it for uk residents? still a silly amount of money but its money I would be paying anyway..

any thoughts/advice would be very appreciated,

We bought in 2011 and I only wish we'd bought years earlier!

We've been going since 2001, twice a year, originally staying at a moderate. After a few years we starting staying at a deluxe and as you've worked out, the maths soon is obvious. After buying DVC we worked out that we'd broken even on our purchase after five trips especially as we own at AKL which is the only resort where DVC has club level.

We bought direct from Disney as we got a great deal when we were on a Disney cruise so have also taken advantage of the other perks. We've been able to use our points at the Disneyland hotel in California and have been able to get discounts on APs.

Make sure you purchase at the resort where you want to book at 11 months. We bought at AKL as we wanted the opition to book club level. We've been lucky in that we've also been able to get other reservations at seven months at non home resorts and have stayed at the Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club, Poly and BLT.

It's been a no brainer for us.

How do you even go about it in the UK?

My husband and I travel to a Disney Resort (somewhere in the world) at least once a year, and wondering whether we should be just at this point doing DVC.

It's actually pretty seamless we bought 3 contracts through the Timeshare Store.

I did plenty of research on the DIS boards before purchasing.

We just wish we had done it years ago!

I too am just buying in via the DVC Store (We live in the UK). We paid the deposit on a credit card and the balance will be a bank transfer. They email over the paperwork, you fill it in and sign it then scan it and email back. It's all been really easy so far, just the ROFR wait that's a pain.

Our calculations were about the same, fast payback vs. staying in a deluxe but it also pays back compared to a moderate or even a value at the right $ per point.

We're BWV owners & you soon break even if you buy resale. I would buy where you want to stay as it can be difficult to change resorts at 7 months out at some times of year,

First trip was AK in 2009. Looked at DVC whilst there. Went home. Crunched the numbers and returned 2010. We visited all the resorts. We decided pound for pound Wilderness was for us. DVC were actively selling AK at the time but went to DVC HO at Saratoga and said I want Wilderness and I want this many points. If you don’t ask you don’t get. Got my contract and never looked back. You really must buy some points direct to get the perks. By all means top up via resale. Box clever with an annual pass. If you go once a year book the next before it expires. Take advantage of TIW. You will find your vacations change over the years. Less parks more of a base. Since then have added Bay Lake and Poly. We love September. Good weather. MNSSHP and Food & Wine. Never regretted it and now just pay AD’s for Deluxe Resorts. No brainer.

We're BWV owners & you soon break even if you buy resale. I would buy where you want to stay as it can be difficult to change resorts at 7 months out at some times of year,
100% agree. Check out all the resorts. Not just the ones DVC are promoting.

How do you even go about it in the UK?

My husband and I travel to a Disney Resort (somewhere in the world) at least once a year, and wondering whether we should be just at this point doing DVC.
WARNING.....with that amount of trips under your belt so will only say....’what were we thinking?!’ It’s like renting a house instead of buying it. However never too late.

Now I am jealous. Walk to Epcot. Walk to HS. ESPN? And not forgetting Speedway over the road for those non Disney priced beverages. And of course Pic the 24hr food at Dolphin. Great choice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!