Things to do when it RAINS!

Rhugsins

Earning My Ears
I'm getting way ahead of myself but the forecast is starting to show up in my weather apps for our trip in 2 weeks and it shows 50% of rain every day of the first week we are there. Now I know that showers can be short and sweet and to only use local Hawaii weather apps (which do not project that far yet).
BUT- I'd still like to know what are some things to do when it rains aside from shop! :) We will have a car and can leave the resort if we want/need.
Thanks!

We've been to Aulani 3 times and are going again in December. One of the best days we've had there was a day in which it poured rain non-stop! We dropped the kids off at Auntie's and sat outside on the 2nd floor underneath the large overhangs and read books while it rained. Then, we took the Ko Olina shuttle around its full loop and visited the other properties in Ko Olina, ending up at Monkeypod for a late lunch. When we got back to Auluani, we picked up the kids from Aunties and did the indoor Menehune scavenger hunt. We ended the day building sand castles on the beach in the rain (no running back and forth with buckets of water... the wet sand was perfect for packing into the molds). We still talk about what a fun and relaxing day that was.

We are fortunate to not have encountered rain, but I would think the pools would still be open unless its thundering and lightning. I would imagine they'd be less crowded too, which would be nice. Also, the spa is amazing so that would be another good option.

As far as outside the resort, Kualoa Ranch would have some tours that are done in the rain. I'm also thinking Waikiki would be good since some of the sidewalk is covered from awnings, and you can pop in and out of stores and bars stopping for drinks. Ala Moana Center is nearby Waikiki too.

Bishop Museum would be my top pick, followed by Iolani Palace. If you’re here over the Thanksgiving weekend, there will be a huge indoor craft fair at the Blaisdel Exhibition Hall. All items are locally made and handcrafted by the 300+ vendors. I know you said you were looking for activities “aside than shopping” but this a unique event worth a visit. There are lots of yummy treats that are hard to find anywhere else like deep fried poi mocha, KC waffle dogs, and Som’ Good Sauce.

Swimming in the rain is a ton of fun! Find a place covered with an umbrella to set up shop, and just go swimming in the pools and ocean like you normally would. Don't worry about drying off until the day's over. I would personally leave the other island stuff for the days where the weather is nice.

When it's wet outside, embrace it by getting wet! Pool time, lagoon time, surfing! My only concern would be if you had dinner reservations at 'AMA'AMA as you have to go outside, uncovered, to get there. Bring a small umbrella, just in case.

unless the 50% chance of rain is specifically for ko’olina (or kapolei) the odds of it raining may actually be much lower. not too sure about local weather apps...but the local weather people on the local news have a remarkable track record of being...wrong...a lot...and quite often give a generic island wide forecast.

unless the 50% chance of rain is specifically for ko’olina (or kapolei) the odds of it raining may actually be much lower. not too sure about local weather apps...but the local weather people on the local news have a remarkable track record of being...wrong...a lot...and quite often give a generic island wide forecast.

I believe Ko'olina is actually one of the driest parts of the island, so if the forecast is for Honolulu then Aulani may be fine.

Two pieces of advice for you:

1. Ignore the weather forecasts. The rain there can’t be predicted. We took a trip in May and in the couple of weeks leading up to it I got so stressed out thinking it was going to rain the whole time which is what the forecast kept indicating. Once we got there it only rained on one day but the forecast seemed to predict something different every time I looked at it.

2. Raining there doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the pools. It will still be hot, and if you’re wet from the pools anyway it makes no difference! On the day of rain we had, everybody was enjoying the pools regardless, it was actually fun and we really enjoyed it. You will too, just don’t worry about it.

I live about 3 miles away from Aulani in Kapolei near the Costco. One of the good things about the leeward side or west side of Oahu is that we get nowhere near the rain that you get in town (Honolulu) or on the windward side (Kailua/Kaneohe area). When we had our "hurricanes" about 2 months ago, here in Kapolei we had just grey skies and a light mist, while on other parts of Oahu had torrential downpours. Remember that the forecast is essentially for the entire island so when a forecaster says 50% chance of rain they are saying they have a 50% confidence that it will rain somewhere in the "viewing area" (Oahu) if at all. Most of us essentially ignore looking at the weather because its so consistent. There is a "Hawaii News Now" Weather app available on your phone.

I will say that I can recommend these indoor activities if it is one of our rare all-day rainy days. The Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, both of which are in Honolulu. Closer to the resort in Kapolei is a K1 Electric Go Karts (Indoors). There are also two great movie theaters in Kapolei. One near the Target, and one at the new mall. Hope that helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter