Things to do in the LA area on non-DLR days?

LizzyS

DIS Veteran
We'll have three days that are non-park days on our trip next year (one day is probably going to be a re-coup day, lol) and I'm looking for one more activity for us. Thus far, we are definitely doing the LaBrea Tar Pits and maybe The Getty (if I can talk my husband into it). The Getty is a maybe, so I'm essentially looking for a replacement for it if my husband doesn't want to go there, though I definitely do.

We don't want to drive much farther away than those two would be from Anaheim (yes, I've looked on a map to scope it out and got a dose of LA traffic earlier this year). We went to Santa Monica earlier this year, so that's out for this trip. We know there will be traffic, but would like to avoid any places that are insanely popular. We are not nightlife sort of people, either, so this would be something done during the day for maybe half a day or a bit more.

Any suggestions? TIA!

The actual Tar Pits are outside and free to see, you just walk up and see them. The museum part you have to pay to see, I didnt think it was worth paying for. Therefore you will probably only spend about 30 minutes there.

Are you interested in Studio Tours?
I would recommend in this order
  1. Warner Bros in Burbank
  2. Sony Pictures in Culver City
  3. Paramount in Hollywood
The Grove and Farmers Market on Fairfax and 3rd are a nice place to chill and hang out

This year I did Museum of Tolerance, which is basically a Jewish Holocaust museum which has an Anne Frank exhibition and scheduled talks by Holocaust Survivors.

Last year I went to Psychiatry: An Industry of Death Museum on Sunset Boulevard, its an exhibition about big pharma and Psychiatry and is very interesting in a more out there way. Its a very one sided almost cultish view of things and you will find yourself thinking, really, I dont think so, as you go through the exhibition.

If you like music merchandise and buying music on vinyl, or cd check out the most amazing music shop called Amoeba Music on Sunset Boulevard.

The Grammy Museum and LA Live / Staples Center in Downtown LA is another place for music fans. There is an LA Lakers shop in Staples Center and a mini music walk of fame on the sidewalk

Little Tokyo in Downtown LA is one of the nicer ethnic areas to visit

These places I havent been to yet but are on my list
  1. Petersen Automotive Museum
  2. Hollywood Forever Cemetery
  3. California Science Center

Last edited:
The Natural History Museum of Los Angeles is on my to-do list for our trip next year - I've got to see dinosaur skeletons!

Well if you are going to La Brea Tar Pits and are interested in art museums, I would do LA County Museum of Art instead of the Getty (which can be a pain to get to). LACMA is right next to the tar pits, and it is a world class museum with a wide range of collections and special exhibitions. If you are interested in quirky and like immersive experiences, check out the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City. It was created by artist David Hildebrand Wilson who received a MacArthur "genius" award. It's an amazing place if you are in the right frame of mind. It is a sort of faux museum where every exhibit has been made up out of erroneous information. There are science, art and history dioramas, models, paintings, and objects of all kinds in quirky galleries of different sizes, shapes, moods within the museum. While each gallery is physically imaginative, fun and funky in its installation, the intellectual "aha" fun is in reading the labels. They are so close to wait you would read in a real museum, but then just start to tilt off into improbability and lunacy. Love that place.

Well if you are going to La Brea Tar Pits and are interested in art museums, I would do LA County Museum of Art instead of the Getty (which can be a pain to get to). LACMA is right next to the tar pits, and it is a world class museum with a wide range of collections and special exhibitions. If you are interested in quirky and like immersive experiences, check out the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City. It was created by artist David Hildebrand Wilson who received a MacArthur "genius" award. It's an amazing place if you are in the right frame of mind. It is a sort of faux museum where every exhibit has been made up out of erroneous information. There are science, art and history dioramas, models, paintings, and objects of all kinds in quirky galleries of different sizes, shapes, moods within the museum. While each gallery is physically imaginative, fun and funky in its installation, the intellectual "aha" fun is in reading the labels. They are so close to wait you would read in a real museum, but then just start to tilt off into improbability and lunacy. Love that place.

I did notice that art museum right next to the tar pits and will consider going there.

Why is The Getty a pain to get to? I'd really like to see some of the art they specifically have there and the views look amazing, that's why I want to go there.

The actual Tar Pits are outside and free to see, you just walk up and see them. The museum part you have to pay to see, I didnt think it was worth paying for. Therefore you will probably only spend about 30 minutes there.

I've wanted to see the La Brea Tar Pits most of my life (Denver the Last Dinosaur, anyone?) and I'm married to a *geologist*, so we will pay to do the museum part as we also love museums. We spend a lot of time in a museum when we visit, tbh.

On your other points, I don't think a studio tour is up our alley, honestly. Thanks for the tip on the music shop, though, that might be something we'd do!

We are doing the deluxe LA tour through Starline Tours. They pick up at the Anaheim area hotels.

also for the more touristy LA things to do

Hollywood and Highland Mall, Chinese Theatre , Madame Tussauds and El Captain Disney Theatre on Hollywood Walk of Fame
Celebrity Homes Tour
Griffith Observatory
Drive around Beverley Hills and Rodeo Drive

I live nearby and have yet to go into the museum, but agree the outdoor aspects of the Tar Pits can be seen in about an hour, tops. They share grounds with LACMA, which does have some interesting sculptures you can see for free outside. However, they've started closing some of the buildings housing the permanent collections in order to start construction on a new one, so I can't say I'd suggest a paid visit at the moment. The Petersen Auto museum is across the street from both (the vault tour for an additional fee was my favorite part). The Academy Award Museum on the same block is currently under construction and set to open sometime in early 2020.

I personally love the Getty Center, and if you visit on a clear day, the view is spectacular. One thing I like about it is that you just pay to park and admission is free. You could then also visit the Getty Villa on the same day provided it isn't a Monday or Tuesday. Just get a coupon at the Information Desk!

I went to the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles with one of my off days last trip and it was great! All the dinosaur skeletons were awesome and the other exhibits were cool too. Plus it's right across from the USC campus so you can wander campus, see the rose garden (if its the right time of year). I believe there was also an Air and Space Museum right next door also.

We are doing the deluxe LA tour through Starline Tours. They pick up at the Anaheim area hotels.

Ooh, when are you doing this tour? My trip isn't until next February and I'd love to hear how you like it!

If they have a one-day tour, I'd be very interested in that.

I second the Peter Automotive museum & LACMA if you go to the La Brea Tar Pits. They are all virtually in walking distance of each other. (Then The Grove & Farmers Market is 5 minutes away, as is Beverly Hills).

Since you're doing the Getty, you're already on the westside, so you could go to Malibu.

There's also the Griffith Observatory in Griffith Park.

If you like museums, you could also check out Exposition Park in downtown LA. There's a couple of museums there, but the California Science Center is the largest. The Broad museum is also located in downtown, near the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Not sure how "in" the Disney bubble you are, but Walt Disney Studios in Burbank offers tours a couple times a year for D23 members (or through Adventures by Disney). Not sure if it would even be during your trip, but just another potential option if it were to open up.

Then there's always the general Hollywood tours. There's so many to choose from (Starline, TMZ, etc.) but that could an option as well.

Love the Tar Pits and the Museum is very worthwhile....lots of good stuff to see and learn about !!

I don't know if this is up your alley, but when my husband and I visit in Sept. we are going to a place in Anaheim where you can buy time on actual flight simulators with experienced flight instructors. I've booked time on the 737/800 (not the Max8) and my husband has booked time on the F 16 simulator. I'm actually more excited about this than Disneyland! If you're interested the place is called Flightdeck, and reservations are required.

I taught 1st grade in the LA area for a couple years, and we got to go to the La Brea Tar Pits for a field trip, including the museum. I thought it was a really cool place - interesting for me, too, not just the kids. We also did the CA Science Center, which is really neat, and is apparently right next to the Natural History Museum, which I've never been to.

The Getty is truly amazing; I absolutely love it there. If you can convince your husband, it's definitely worth a visit. It is a little out of the way, further west, and a little can feel like a lot in LA traffic, but I still think it's worth the trouble.

I like taking a break at the beaches nearby. If you haven’t, been Huntington beach is a great place to visit. This year for our trip we’re going to Laguna Beach for a couple of days to relax before heading to Disneyland.

The Natural History Museum is really nice and the California Science Center has been the host for several traveling exhibits. I saw the Pompeii and King Tut exhibits there.

Parking is a bit of a pain right now because they are constructing the George Lucas museum

... Why is The Getty a pain to get to? I'd really like to see some of the art they specifically have there and the views look amazing, that's why I want to go there.
Make sure you know which Getty museum you want -- there is the Getty Center and the Getty Villa. We love both and think both are worth seeing. The views are great from both and both have nice restaurants, too, which is not always a given for museums. Check the Getty website to see if one or the other interests you more or if you'd like to do both in a day.

I personally like the California Science Center, which has been mentioned. It's one of the museums at Exposition Park, which also includes a rose garden and other museums, as well as the Los Angeles Coliseum.

http://expositionpark.ca.gov
The star attraction at the California Science Center is the Space Shuttle Endeavour. It requires a "reservation" which is for a nominal fee and might not be available if it sells out. Otherwise the museum is free. However, an IMAX movie ticket there comes with a Space Shuttle reservation included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter