Things to do around Disneyland (that area of CA) for families?

jodim

Mouseketeer
We were planning a WDW trip for Christmas but are seriously considering doing Disneyland this year instead and taking a few extra days to see some of California. (Also, can you reallllly do all of Disneyland in 5 days???)

We have priced out airline tickets and it's looking like we may be flying into Las Vegas and then driving over. (We're in Illinois and are a party of 11)

We will be traveling with kids ages 1, 5, 8, 15, 17 and 4 college aged young adults. What are some things we can do that are inexpensive or absolutely worth paying money for in that area?

My 17yo is wanting to go to San Francisco but I'm not sure it's worth the drive there.

So, please talk to me about LA/San Diego/Anaheim area in the winter... what's there to do, must sees, best places to eat, etc.
And if you think San Francisco is a must do, what should we go see there.

Beaches are nice
Knotts Berry Farm too.
Yes, you can do DLR / DCA in 5 days.

What do you like to do on vacation? Relax? Go from place to place?

You should check out the California forums ;) For the past few years we have been going to DLR instead of WDW.
Yes you can do DLR in 5 days - that is how many days we usually spend in the parks ourselves. People might say you can do it in 3 - you can, if you rush through everything, skip shows etc.

#1 advice - get park hoppers. We don't get hoppers for WDW but we do for DLR. The parks are a very short walk away from each other - it is like walking from Future World in Epcot to World Showcase.

#2 unless you can afford onsite staying offsite is still pretty great. We stay on S Harbor. Our go-to place is Anaheim Desert Inn & Suites. We have also stayed at The Tropicana, The Anaheim Hotel, and the HoJo. All are a very easy walk to the parks - the furthest one is the Anaheim and DD and I walked from the hotel entrance to Disney security in 10 minutes.
Book as soon as you know your dates - most places have a very good cancellation policy, most are 48hrs before c/i - so if you have to cancel, change dates or find a better deal it is no big deal. I have been able to book Desert Inn & Suites (there is another "Desert" hotel that is not as close) a year out. When they have specials I just rebook.

#3 Rope drop - we never manage it at WDW but always at DLR. You can do all of Fantasyland in the first hour easy.

#4 Ralph Brennan's Kitchen Express has beignet french toast - 'nuff said

#5 If you have 1 splurge I would do the World of Color dessert party - we have done it twice and it is so worth it! 2 splurges? Blue Bayou restaurant for the atmosphere. We like Cafe Orleans better than BB but you cannot beat seeing the PotC boats go by as you have lunch.

We like having at least 1 day off property. Last time we went we did the Griffith Observatory (get there early, affordable and super worth it, you can also see the Hollywood sign from there), the carousel (where Walt used to take his daughters, I think it was $2 to ride and worth it but fast! - as in speed not time), and Santa Monica pier. On other trips we have done the La Brea Tar Pits, the LACMA, walked around the Hollywood walk of fame area and then went to watch a movie at El Capitan (they only play Disney movies). We always have lunch at the Farmer's Market (really close to the tar pits and LACMA). One trip we went to Sea World, and on another trip we went to the San Diego Zoo (loved the zoo, but they are losing their pandas soon!) - longish drive but do-able as a day trip.

San Francisco is always worth it!

Agree with the pp about asking this in the Disneyland (California) forum -- that's the trip planning forum for DLR -- where you'll get lots of great advice and suggestions. Also try asking this in the California & the West forum -- you might get some different suggestions there.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't even realize there was a California/West forum :oops:.

I am hoping to find some inexpensive things to do / see so I just assumed this was the board. Is there a way for me to move this post? Or do I need to just repost over there?

1) California is huge. San Francisco is 400 miles away, so probably not a good side trip. (It is about 900 miles from the Oregon border to the Mexican border in California)
2) Knotts Berry Farm
3) Universal Studios (the original)
4) Drive through Beverly Hills. Count how many Rolls Royces you see.
5) Hollywood walk of fame.
6) We like driving Sunset Boulevard from where it starts in Hollywood all the way to the Pacific Ocean.
7) Queen Mary in Long Beach

I wouldn't fly into Vegas solely on price to do Southern/Northern California, only if there were things there you really want to see. It's a 5-6 hour drive from SoCal and it sounds like you are bringing a large bunch, so big van or multiple long-distance rental cars. Usually hefty fees to rent in one city and return to another. Price all the SoCal airports -- LAX, SNA, LGB, ONT.

If you want to drive up the coast to San Francisco it's another 6-7 hours. If you do Vegas, SoCal, and San Francisco you will eat up at least 2 of your vacation days in driving between cities, and buy a lot of expensive California gas.

If you want to do more outside of Disneyland in SoCal I'd recommend Los Angeles or San Diego. Maybe move there for a few days. Depending on when exactly you go over Christmastime you may find an Air BNB to rent but many have a minimum stay near the holidays.

Check the SoCal/Disneyland boards for more info. And once you narrow down your side trips you'll have more questions for us Westerners for sure!

PHXscuba

We enjoyed a whale watching cruise via Harbor Breeze cruises. It is located next to the Queen Mary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts