Things to do after the park closes for the day?

slothlord

Earning My Ears
I'll be at WDW for my first ever visit from July 11-20. I am assuming I will not be able to explore resorts I am not a guest of, so other than Disney Springs what else might there be to do in the evenings after the parks close?

Eeks! We have a day without park tickets and our plan (if we can’t get tickets) was to visit hotels we’ve never seen. I didn’t think we wouldn’t be able to stop in lobby. I guess I’ll have to wait and see. I think Disney Springs and Boardwalk area at night are nice. My son and I love just riding the skyliner. Can you make dinner reservations at other hotel properties?? So many unknowns.

That's a good point, I didn't really think about just going to the lobby.. I would be happy to see at least a small part of other hotels if possible. The boardwalk is part of a hotel right? I hope I can explore that.

Eeks! We have a day without park tickets and our plan (if we can’t get tickets) was to visit hotels we’ve never seen. I didn’t think we wouldn’t be able to stop in lobby. I guess I’ll have to wait and see. I think Disney Springs and Boardwalk area at night are nice. My son and I love just riding the skyliner. Can you make dinner reservations at other hotel properties?? So many unknowns.
The way I read the new dining info says you must have a confirmed dining reservation if you are NOT and overnight guest. To me, that sounds like we will be able to make reservations at other resorts.

If I’m interpreting that wrong, I hope someone will chime in.

Currently unable to see or make reservations anywhere but Disney Springs. Would have thought that for opening days you could make reservations ahead of time.

Currently unable to see or make reservations anywhere but Disney Springs. Would have thought that for opening days you could make reservations ahead of time.
I just noticed on the WDW website it says, "Feature pools may operate with reduced hours; leisure pools are open 24 hours a day." So that's good news.
And a change as they used to close them around 10 or 11, I believe.

Right now resort restaurant ADRs are only bailable to people staying through July 10th. And everything I have read states no resort hopping. They will only let you in if you have a reservation to eat. My fam was looking at the menus for some of the restaurants that will be open so that we can visit one deluxe resort during our day off.

Is there even going to be much to see/do if you visit the boardwalk? I saw a few restaurants were going to be open, but I wonder if it would be worth visiting.

That's a good point, I didn't really think about just going to the lobby.. I would be happy to see at least a small part of other hotels if possible. The boardwalk is part of a hotel right? I hope I can explore that.
The boardwalk area has a few hotels... Beach and Yacht club, Boardwalk Inn, Swan and Dolphin hotels. Although Beach and Yacht club are across from the boardwalk, I usually take a walk around there (we always stay at the Beach Club). There are also bike rentals in front of the Boardwalk hotel. There are so many unknowns. Maybe they will have live entertainment outside or other activities after the parks close.

On early park nights I anticipate we'll hit the pool or just hang and everyone will do what they want. It will be a little more laid back than usual...read a good book, explore the resort just to stretch your legs, watch a movie or some nighttime sports (if there is any). We'll find things to do. When the parks are open and everything is happening you feel guilty not taking advantage. But now that our choices are limited I say relax a little bit. Since we can't do water parks on our non-park days we're hoping to hit the AMC theater at DS a couple times.

Last edited:
I've been trying to figure this out, too. Figured one or two nights we'd stroll around DS, get some pool time, and Fantasia Gardens mini golf is open until 10:00pm, I think? I like the idea of seeing a movie.

Last edited:
We had planned on doing the monorail crawl and checking out the other hotels. Now we are not sure what to do after the parks close. Maybe it will be nice to do a less militant, Disney vacation. We have always attacked Disney like a military invasion LOL! May be slowing down is a good thing. Reading a book by the pool sounds pretty nice.

I've been trying to figure this out, too. Figured one or two nights we'd stroll around DS, get some pool time, and Fantasia Gardens mini golf is open until 10:00pm, I think? I like the idea of seeing a movie.
The mini-golf is closed due to the pandemic. Unknown if it will re-open before your trip.

Right now resort restaurant ADRs are only bailable to people staying through July 10th. And everything I have read states no resort hopping. They will only let you in if you have a reservation to eat. My fam was looking at the menus for some of the restaurants that will be open so that we can visit one deluxe resort during our day off.
Right now they are being very restrictive about making dinner plans. They are not allowing you to make dinning plans at other resorts that you are not stay at. For example if you are staying at the Poly you can not make reservations to eat at BLT. They are limiting the reservation to those staying at that specific resort. That is why the DS reservations are the only ones you can make at this time.

Right now they are being very restrictive about making dinner plans. They are not allowing you to make dinning plans at other resorts that you are not stay at. For example if you are staying at the Poly you can not make reservations to eat at BLT. They are limiting the reservation to those staying at that specific resort. That is why the DS reservations are the only ones you can make at this time.

Are you sure about this? I saw a YouTube video the other day where someone staying at SSR had the character breakfast at Topolino’s.

Are you sure about this? I saw a YouTube video the other day where someone staying at SSR had the character breakfast at Topolino’s.
From Disney's website:

"Planning to dine at a table-service restaurant in a Disney Resort hotel? A confirmed dining reservation is required for day Guests (those not staying overnight) and is highly recommended for Guests staying overnight at a Disney Resort hotel "

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter