Things I noticed on my recent solo trip

Baloo2003

Mouseketeer
I just got back from a Jun 8-12 trip. Below are things that happened or that I noticed that some may be aware of but may help others.

I wasn't aware that the sound track for CA Screamin' wasn't working. I have the CA Adventure soundtrack so I just heard the music in my head from playing it so much.

The Cafe Oreleans was rumored to open Sat, Jun 10th, I thought, but it didn't open while I was there.

They removed the stork medallions from the Dumbo ride. One of them had been replaced with a hidden 50 based on a picture I saw from this site.

Grad Nite may have caused the Disneyland Park to close at 9pm, but it was probably less crowded that day as a few people decide to stay away.

I did EE both on Sat and Mon. Mon was more crowded I think. I got to do all of the FL rides twice. Counting the train twice, I rode 20 rides that day by 10:30. It was a good day.

I did a solo Fantasmic! buffet on the balcony for the 10:30 show on Sat. When I booked the reservation, I asked how many tickets were available at the time I booked. 16, meaning 5 were already booked. I asked tried to confirm that would mean I would get one of the 8 front row seats, I was told that they are no longer suppose to tell us that. I let it go at this point as she couldn't do any more than she had.

When I showed up at the Disney Gallery, 1 group was already there which turned out to be the first group. Later I noticed the guy of the party of 5 hovering at the door as if it was first come, first served. So I asked someone if the seats were already preassigned. She said yes, based on the order in which the tickets were purchased.

Another hostess that was dressed differently, verified all of the groups were there and seemed surprised that I was a party of 1 and made a face. (I didn't want to have to stake out a seat for hours and was willing to pay the $59). They called out each group based on the order of the purchase, meaning I was called out second. The first group was allowed to pull up another chair so all 5 were in the first balcony railing which is usually designed for 4. She tried to put me at a back corner that was still along one of the side balconies with a table that had 2 chairs. I explained that I knew that when I booked that 16 tickets were still available and that would put me sitting in the 6th seat, wouldn't it?....and I was the secound "group" called out. She insisted "sir, this is your seat". I gave a disapproving look and was resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting the seat I thought I should get. She walked away and began taking to someone else. Then she came back and told me that I could have the "6th seat", if I didn't mind sharing the area with others. I said of course not, all 21 of us are sharing the same area anyway, after all. At the end of the show she asked each group individually if they enjoyed the show. She asked me last. I said everything was great and thanked her.

I really wanted to say more, but didn't. I felt that my $59 was the same as the others and that I shouldn't have had to fight for what should have been mine to start with. I know others may disagree. It just seems that it is difficult to get a consistent answer out of anyone at DL that sells these buffet tickets. I know how it should work and I could tell that she was trying to put a party of 5, group 3, together in front of the second balcony railng. Based on how it was playing out, the 5th person of group 3 would have been seated with me and they would have slide the chair over to the railing with the rest of the group. I think there are 4 at each railing by design to prevent total blockage of view for the people in the back row. I know families want to sit together but whether they are seated at one railing or the next, they would still be sitting next to each other. The planners for this should make a policy, stick to it and let everyone know what it is, so we know what to expect. This shouldn't be that hard.

I kept thinking of the quote "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" and had to laugh....oh well, it worked out, but I just felt I shouldn't have to fight for what should have occurred anyway. It dampened the $59 magic a little even though I tried not to let it.

Next topic: I went to the Billy Hill show on Mon for the first show and was very impressed. I tried to look at the front row to see if Skatejen was there. I couldn't tell, but Billy did pay a lot of attention to a blonde woman up front as if he knew her.

I may think of other things later. I know I got too swept up with the Fantasmic! thing and forgot other things noticed.

As a solo traveler (this is the second time I've done a solo trip to a Disney park), I noticed I get treated a little differently, but for the most part I didn't care. On the family rides, I was usually put in the last row of the car, such as Winnie the Pooh. In some cases, I was put in the 3rd row to line up for the ride even before the lines 1 and 2 were filled. On the Pooh ride I was in the 3rd row, a couple was in the first row and the 2nd row was empty. The third row has a little bit of a blind spot on the sides.

I did get pretty good at spotting Fast Passes on the ground while walking. As a single rider, they came in handy. I'm amazed how many I found. I also found 2 park passes. I forget where I found the first one, but the other was left in the Fast Pass machines. I turned those in to the Fast Pass checker as you enter the Fast Pass entry area. I would hate to be the person who couldn't find my park pass. The first was a 3 day hopper that had the 3rd day used up.....you can see little holes in them. The other was a season pass. You know they were freaking out. I hope they got their passes back. You never know how those things turn out, but I worry about them.

Baloo2003 said:
I did EE both on Sat and Mon. Mon was more crowded I think. I got to do all of the FL rides twice. Counting the train twice, I rode 20 rides that day by 10:30. It was a good day.

You mentioned that you did EE on Sat and Mon. I thought every park hopper ticket with 3 days or more only provided you with one EE. How did you get to do it twice? :confused3

I wasn't there on Monday (I was at work), but I was on Saturday.

Disneyland1084 said:
Baloo2003 said:

You mentioned that you did EE on Sat and Mon. I thought every park hopper ticket with 3 days or more only provided you with one EE. How did you get to do it twice? :confused3

If you stay at one of the three DLR hotels you can go to EE each day that it is offered.

Disneyland1084 said:
Baloo2003 said:

I stayed at the DLH for a couple of days during my stay and I just showed the slip they gave me to get in for early entry.

iceskatejen said:
I wasn't there on Monday (I was at work), but I was on Saturday.

I'm sorry I missed you, after reading all of your previous chats before going.

Baloo2003 said:
Disneyland1084 said:
I stayed at the DLH for a couple of days during my stay and I just showed the slip they gave me to get in for early entry.

So you don't have to purchase a package to get EE more than once?? We have booked Paradise Pier through Expedia for 4 nights, would we be able to get EE for our whole stay??

HeatherinNC said:
Baloo2003 said:
So you don't have to purchase a package to get EE more than once?? We have booked Paradise Pier through Expedia for 4 nights, would we be able to get EE for our whole stay??

It is an "unofficial" perk of staying onsite. They have been offering it for about a year now. It could, however, end at any time.

Oh, and its not your "whole stay". Its each day its offered during your stay. Currently its Mon, Tues, Thurs and Sat. mornings.

The attic in the Haunted Mansion has lenticular?? portraits of couples or THE couple and as you go by the man's head disappears. I had never seen these before...pretty cool.

The attic in the Haunted Mansion had lenticular portraits of The couple??? and as you passed by them, the man's head disappeared....pretty cool.

I stayed off-property for the first time at BW Anaheim Inn. tripadvisor.com, had questionable reviews. The carpet was new, the beds were comfortable. I paid $80/nite and could walk to the park quickly...probably closer than DLH, definitely closer than PP. The staff were very nice and helpful. I asked if they had access to a pc so I could print my airline boarding pass. They didn't but recommended Discount Tours next door in front of the Ramada. They girl there was very helpful.

The downside was a short shower head...not a deal-breaker. Friday mornings apparently are trash pickup around 6am. They woke me up moving trash bins and the beeping of the trucks backing up. The airconditioner was a window unit mounted in the back wall that still use a normal thermostat. It was very nosiy. I took the cover off for the stay to stop the rattling, but the unit was loud even then when it kicked on. I'm a pretty sound sleeper so this wasn't a deal-breaker either.

The room was small and would only fit a rollaway if you moved other furniture out somehow. The beds are full, not queen, but that wasn't an issue for me. My room was on the second floor next to the laundry room. I never heard other people too much, so the noise level there was fine. I could walk downstairs to the pool entrance. It was small but never crowded.

I would stay there again. No magic but I was in the parks til closing each day anyway.

hlbtimes2 said:
HeatherinNC said:
It is an "unofficial" perk of staying onsite. They have been offering it for about a year now. It could, however, end at any time.

Oh, and its not your "whole stay". Its each day its offered during your stay. Currently its Mon, Tues, Thurs and Sat. mornings.

Thanks for the info!! We will be there Mon, Tues and Wed, so hopefully we will get to take advantage of EE 2 days of the three! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter