Things for the car ride

smilie

I've been unwonked!
We are taking a trip to Florida for the 4th and will be driving, it's about a 10 hour drive. Most of it will be at night so hopefully DD (9) will be sleeping. What are things you bring on a road trip that help with boredom??

Leaving at night is key. We always leave at 8 or 9pm and they eventually fall asleep til like 6 or so. Then stop for food. But when up gotta have an iPad. Also we will play cds that we can all sing to like high school musical, hair spray , Disney cds. Fun plus gives us energy for ride.

We play 20 Questions, Mad Libs, and do Brain Teasers. The kids also get new books the night before. For longer trips, we get a book on tape.

We download a couple movies on the ipads. I have a holder that straps to the headrest. Wireless bluetooth headphones so the grownups can talk to each other and the kids don't have to watch the same movie. We've done the 7-8 hour drive 3 times in the last year. We always thought the kids would eventually go to sleep. Nope. Up the whole way. But the ipads do the trick. No arguing. No whining. I call it a win.

One word. Electronics. If your DD has a phone, ipad, or other device it should be no problem at all passing the time. One thing I would recommend, if your car is equipped, is to spring for the wifi hotspot. That way they can play online games, stream movies/music etc without eating up all your cell data.

I simply lifted all my limits on electronics. Having unlimited time on a iPad is all we really needed. We do like family games like 20 questions, and when they were younger I would read aloud a lot too. Books on tapes are good too. Nine is easy.

Our kids are 17 and 15, and this trip was the first time they didn't bring the DVD players for the van. They had their phones, I think they had downloaded a couple of movies from Netflix (we have very limited data). We played an audiobook that they were both interested in for several hours too, they both had a couple of books to read, and they slept. We did not travel at night this time.

There is a bingo game for the road. Have to find various things listed that you’d see on the road and slide the cover over. My kids use it for short trips to the zoo and what not since we fly everywhere else:)

We always drive to WDW and it’s a usually about a 15 hour drive. We play Disney DVDs, kids play on their phones and iPods. I’ll pack a bag with dollar store Disney toys or activities I bought(coloring books, books, small toys, etc.) and when they’re getting antsy I let them pick something from the grab bag. They like the element of surprise and it keeps them entertained for a while. We also have a car bingo game, winner gets a small prize. I just try to keep things fun and they’re less likely to whine.

We have driven twice 21 hours straight both times 3 kids a blanket and a stuff animal for their head is a must snack ad their electronics. also pack baggies for trash. my kids love to draw so a notepad and some sort of coloring is always what we bring I find that less is more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts