Things for kids to do on the airplane

zulaya

DIS Veteran
What do you have your kids play with/do on the plane ride? We have a 3 hour and 15 minute flight from MSP to MCO. Kids are going to be in kindergarten and first grade. Any tips will help. Thanks.

Don't know why my kids love this so much but we get hundreds of stickers and they each get to pick out a new spiral notebook. (Look for clearance stickers wherever you go). They spent lots of time on our last plane trip just putting stickers in their notebooks. Sometimes they made designs or colored pictures to go with the pictures. It worked great, was easy to pack and we also took them in to restaurants with us to keep them occupied. My kids are 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 - hope this works for you too.

In addition to the stickers, I bring colorbooks, books, and snacks. One bag of pretzlers, or snack mix usually isn't enough.

I've also brought their GameBoys. I usually try to have one new small toy just for the plane. I've got girls, so I've brought Barbies, Polly Pockets, etc. My sister got her son a small Lego set. Kept him busy for most of the flight.

They've also drawn pictures to give to Mickey when we see him.

All of the above are great ideas. Usually at the airports, they also carry those books with the invisible pens. They include games & such in them, all that work with that pen & they are loads of fun. My mom bought tons of these for our trips & I swear by them still. It's also fun to play oral games... "Going to Disney" (using the ABCs, name things to bring on a Disney trip...vary this however you choose), "I Spy" with things on the plane, or the passengers. The little "travel games" you can get at any Wal-Mart are great as well.

Boo Mc---I thought it was only my DD who thought stickers and a plain noteboook was endless fun. :-0

On our first flight I think I must have brought one of everything, the things that warked are a small lego set, magna doodle, pipe cleaners, an activity book, and the stickers and notebook.
Our next trip (Sept) we are going to try the plastic canvas sewing kits.

Angela

A couple more ideas that don't take up any room. Choose a good book and read to them. We read Tom Sawyer on the way down. Any book is good but one that they can relate to WDW is even better. We also play oral games on on the trip down our favorite is quess the Character. One person gives clues and you have to guess which character they are thinking of. You can do this with anything. Food, animals etc are a few we have used. Have a great trip!

Jordan's mom

We really like the markers from Crayola that only color on the Crayola paper. It seems to entertain for hours. On our way back we bought a Disney coloring book and had her color all the rides she had been on. She also gets a kick out of watching some of the video her dad shot while at disney. We try to book red-eye flights from now on, so that she can sleep for a good part of it. Phoenix to Orlando is a little long for her to sit still.

Well some kids i get on the plane i feel like feeding them sleeping pills.......

Coloring books are good. I love to color he he:)

~Steve

Something I've always brought on planes for DD is play-do. It takes up a lot of time and she loves it.

we had a 10 hour flight! My dd spent most of it listening to story tapes on her walkman - it worked a treat. I had a selection of different tapes, the tweenies which was quite lively, like listening to a party, and also quieter stories, and some song tapes. She listened to all of them at various times. The BFG (Big Friendly Giant) which is one of her favorite videos went down very well - and that's a 4 hour tape, so that was a big chunk of time gone.

A tip I read on here was to have 1 gift for each hour of the flight, so I did that, and she learned quickly that when the big hand was pointing to the 12 she could have a new present - that helped us to ration out the things, otherwise she would have played with everythign in the 1st hour and then been bored for the rest of the trip. The presents were just small things- like a Disney comic book, a new story tape, or a coloring book - mostly things from the dollar shop.

Bev

We also bring along a gameboy, personal stereo, books, etc. One thing our daughter likes also are card games. Old Maid, Uno, etc. They do not take up too much either.

If you have a laptop, I would bring that with her favorite dvd movie. My daughter loves the Wiggles and ToyStory 2 so I'm hoping that will keep her as occupied and quiet on the plane as it does at home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter