Things about adulthood that would have baffled you as a child

reecejackox

DIS Veteran
As a child , what would have baffled you about being an adulthood

I will start

Having to pay for dentist appointments

When we would go on vacation every time we would stop for gas my Mom would write in her special little book. All kinds of little math things. When I finally asked she said she was figuring out the gas mileage. I kind of had a mini childhood panic attack. I thought everyone had to do it every time they went on vacation. I knew there was no way I could do that cuz I was horrible at math. Totally confused me!

My kids have told me many times that when they're an adult they'll be able to stay up as late as they want, buy ____, etc. We've told them that it looks that way but the consequences for making bad choices as an adult are much worse for adults than they are for kids and because of that adults have a lot less freedom than kids think they have.

I remember being 8 and my Grandfather passed away in the hospital.

I remember being baffled that my Grandmother was talking about hospital bills. I said why do you have to pay them? They didn't do their job cause he died.

That adulthood is more stressful than childhood. We spend our whole childhood impatient to grow up and be on our own, then reality sets in and we have to spend the majority of our waking hours working to support ourselves and it's not actually a big party where we get to do whatever we want with no rules--it's one of life's big jokes!

DD16 recently informed me that she didn’t realize when you add a tip at a restaurant when paying with a credit card, that you’re actually paying that tip. She thought the restaurant paid the employees based on what you suggest.

That deciding what to make for dinner would be a chore. I remember my mother lamenting that should couldn't think of anything new to make our family for dinner. I would wonder why she was complaining because it would be great to have whatever you want for dinner every day. I now know what she meant.

pretty much everything....I must have lived quite the sheltered life!! :rotfl:
:scratchin And isn't it interesting how completely wrong (and funny) some of the ways were that we reasoned through what we were observing?

How much I do not want to be touched. Between the kids, the dog, and sometimes my hubby, "Get off of me!!!!" Also how genetics plays a factor in families. I was adopted so no genetic link between me and my parents or sister. Seeing my kids inherit physical and psychological issues from DH and I has been baffling and strange. Also seeing how genetics has played a part in depression in DH's family. And how insanely expensive it is to feed a family of 5. Good night!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter