They won't fix my daughter's Iphone just yet!!

SL6827

DIS Veteran
So we ran by the "Apple" store in Chattanooga, its called Simply Mac I think. Well anyway we let them look at her draining battery on her Iphone 8 which is still under warranty. Well they said the phone was at a 86% max level and had to be at a 80% max level before the would fix it. Well do say. I mean, it will get the the 80% but it won't be under warranty by then. I am pissed. They should fix this crap of a phone now. Any advise?

How old is her iPhone 8 and how long is your warranty?

Last year they’re ere running battery replacement specials for $29, regardless of the diagnostics check. (I think mine was at 85% when I replaced it under this policy.) The battery replacement should be $49 now.

If it’s above the 80%, they aren’t under any obligation to replace it for free.

Do you have a copy of the warranty and does it say anything about needing to be at 80% before a free replacement?

I have a 7 Plus and got it in 2017. My battery health max capacity right now is 88%. And I beat my phone up.

Go to an actual Apple store, not peachmac. I have a peachmac store that I can walk to, but chose to drive 30 minutes to an actual Apple store when I have an issue with an Apple product.

Peachmac doesn’t go above and beyond like they do at the Apple store. Peachmac is great for purchasing Apple products, but not so great for Apple repairs.

Have you called Apple support? I agree with @cvjw go to an actual Apple store or give them support a call.

Go to an actual Apple store, not peachmac. I have a peachmac store that I can walk to, but chose to drive 30 minutes to an actual Apple store when I have an issue with an Apple product.

Peachmac doesn’t go above and beyond like they do at the Apple store. Peachmac is great for purchasing Apple products, but not so great for Apple repairs.
Agreed. Go to an actual Apple Store. Have them run a diagnostic.

I had a 2 year old iPhone X that I upgraded 2 weeks ago for other reasons. Its battery was at 86%. I know it would feel a lot better to get the battery replaced under warranty, but I wonder if Apple has the parameters set up very conservatively given all the bad press they got about 5 and 6 batteries.

Ok, I will probably go check out an actual Apple store. It's like 1.5 hours away though. The phone is less than a year old but doesn't have much time left on that, so I need to find out exactly when it's up.

Call Apple. If it needs repair, you can mail in a phone for repair. They will send you a box and she will have it back in a few days. My son had his battery replaced last year this way.

Try to avoid anything other than an actual Apple store.

Well I chatted with Apple online and they seemed to back up the 80% theory. I am going to call my closest store this weekend and confirm. It looks as if they have a known problem and and are throwing in a BS loophole to benefit themselves from having to fix the phone while it is still under warranty. Corporate greed at its finest.

If it is above their threshold for replacing the battery under warranty, you can always pay to have it replaced at an Apple store.

If it is above their threshold for replacing the battery under warranty, you can always pay to have it replaced at an Apple store.
Right, that was what I was wanting to avoid, since its under warranty.

I paid $50 to get my daughter’s iPhone 8 battery replaced and the new battery is still draining too rapidly. So annoying. Does your daughter use TikTok a lot?

I paid $50 to get my daughter’s iPhone 8 battery replaced and the new battery is still draining too rapidly. So annoying. Does your daughter use TikTok a lot?
I don't know about Tik Tok, why? My daughter said Apple did this on purpose to get you to get a new phone. I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Apple had an issue with battery throttling in 2017. Which is why they were offering battery replacements for $29 up until December 2018.

I got my battery for my iPhone 7 replaced one year ago. My battery max capacity is now at 87%. Considering it’s your daughter’s appendage, it seems like 86% is probably normal.

Battery replacement for an iPhone 7 is $49. Or you could get a new phone. I’m considering a Pixel- the cameras are much better than my 7.

Alternatively, look into how her battery is being used. Check Settings>Battery and scroll down. You’ll see how long the screen has been on and what percentage has been used on Safari, Snapchat, or any other app.

I agree that you will have the best luck at an apple store. I’ve had luck explaining that my phone gets to about 15-20% battery life and then it just dies. When you are near the end of the warranty, a lot of times they go ahead and replace the battery even if you are not at quite at 80%.

Apple had an issue with battery throttling in 2017. Which is why they were offering battery replacements for $29 up until December 2018.

I got my battery for my iPhone 7 replaced one year ago. My battery max capacity is now at 87%. Considering it’s your daughter’s appendage, it seems like 86% is probably normal.

Battery replacement for an iPhone 7 is $49. Or you could get a new phone. I’m considering a Pixel- the cameras are much better than my 7.

Alternatively, look into how her battery is being used. Check Settings>Battery and scroll down. You’ll see how long the screen has been on and what percentage has been used on Safari, Snapchat, or any other app.
She says she puts it in low power mode at all times.

I am going to call them to see what they say because I dont want to drive 1.5 hours and not have an idea of what they will do. Probably will have to cough up the $50.

Is there a way to see your amount of battery life on your own? What percentage you have, without taking it to a store?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!