There's a rumor we had a good time... (two strikes already: long and off-topic)

JeffJewell

DIS Veteran
...at WDW last week. I know this is off-topic for this board, but I believe that the people who are most likely to have any interest at all in things I have to say are all here, and I respectfully request the indulgence of the moderators.

Top Ten highlights of the Jewell family’s 12/1/01-12/9/01 WDW vacation

10. Boma’s breakfast buffet: Since Spoodle’s buffet has gone the way the dodo, this is the best breakfast spread in WDW. There is plenty to satisfy the non-adventurous eater, yet more variety than anywhere else. The family wants me to be sure to mention the Crystal Palace in the same breath as Boma… more traditional fare (still more interesting than your average Shoney’s breakfast bar), but great fun with the characters.

9. The photographers that accost you upon entry to the parks: There are several reasons I normally pooh-pooh those photographers, but one of the main reasons for this trip was to get family photographs. I guess the stars were all in alignment: every single one of these things turned out perfectly, with sixteen eyes open and eight huge smiles. Each of the photographers wisely snapped two images so we could pick the better of the two when the time came, but each time we ended up buying prints of both, simply because they all turned out so well (of course, the MVMCP photo, of which they only took one, didn’t turn out so well. Que sera, I guess…).

8. Restaurant Marrakech (and the Morocco Pavilion in general): I’ve made the point many times that I believe Disney Magic to be found in the details, and nowhere in WDW are the details quite so detailed as in the Morocco Pavilion. The handcrafted tile- and wood-work leave me flabbergasted every time I see them. Lunch was very good, but for us, the building itself was the biggest attraction. I suspect I looked quite the fool, wandering around the place taking pictures of walls and ceilings and moldings, what with the complete lack of Kodak Picture Spot signs located inside the buildings...

7. The food at Spoodles: Staying at the Boardwalk, we ended up eating at Spoodle’s twice for breakfast and once for dinner. I specify the food here because the service was uniformly terrible all three trips (well, I suppose that’s not entirely fair… at dinner, a big chunk of the problem could be blamed on the kitchen. With several former restaurant people at the table, we understand those things. But the guy didn’t go very far out of his way towards guest recovery after the problems [I wonder how much effect the “gratuity automatically added to parties of 8 or more” bit had on his decision-making process]).

6. Roller Coasters: Some readers will be surprised to learn that I have my own homerish tendencies with some things WDW; in particular, Space Mountain is just the coolest roller coaster ever. Every time I ride it, it seems faster and just plain more fun. Big Thunder Mountain is probably the most well-themed coaster I’ve ever been on. And last but definitely not least, the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster was enjoyed by all (yes, my 84 year old grandmother traded in the wheel chair for the super-stretch limo, to the delight of the CM’s, it seemed. She laughed hysterically the whole ride [I was worried just for a moment until I was positive it was laughing], and when we pulled into the unload area she wondered out loud: “Is that all? Oh, good heavens!” You go, girl).

5. Candlelight Processional: Beautiful and moving. My family had an initial lukewarm reaction to Wayne Brady as narrator, but after the show, my mother specifically mentioned that she had a new respect for him (I can see where one might not consider Mr. Brady, best known for his prime time television buffoonery, to be the most appropriate celebrity to host such a solemn event. After the show, I can safely say he was entirely appropriate). If, like me, you're the type of person whom music grabs by the spine and by the lungs, this show will bring tears.

4. Festival of the Lion King: The best “permanent” show on Disney property. There was a thread recently in which I seem to remember some folks suggesting that the Lion King movie might not fall into the “classic” category, and that some of that had to do with the music and the way that music fit into the story. I won’t take issue with the “stop the plot while we sing” nature of the whole thing, but Circle of Life is simply an incredibly uplifting and inspirational song. My problem with the Lion King music is that WDW seems intent on overplaying it (Festival of the Lion King in AK, Legend of the Lion King in MK and the movie in the Land Pavilion at FutureWorld [perhaps called simply “Circle of Life?” Slips my mind, at the moment] all rely heavily on that song to supply an emotional connection to the attraction).

3. Artist Point: Despite the fact that I personally preferred Jiko, the family has spoken: Artist Point was the best dinner we had at WDW.

2. Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party: We went on Sunday the 2nd, and the crowds seemed light, particularly compared to what I’d come to expect based on the number of complaints about last year’s Parties being packed. We picked a “school night” for just that reason. I’ll be interested to read what folks thought who attended Friday night the 7th: there were signs all over that it was completely sold out that night.

1. IllumiNations Cruise: IllumiNations is Suzy’s very favorite thing about WDW. Historically, our schedule has always included about a three-hour camp-out session in the San Angel Cantina so that we can sit down comfortably with a decent view during the show. I knew we’d have more to do than time to do it in this trip, and decided that 120 bucks was a decent value for being able to use those camp-out hours elsewhere. It was far better than a decent value: Captain Mike was exactly the right flavor of manic to fit in with my family, and even the weather conspired to keep the smoke everywhere out of our view. Absolutely perfect. Each and every family member possessing the necessary vocabulary mentioned the cruise as the best part of the trip.

Jeff

9. The photographers that accost you upon entry to the parks: There are several reasons I normally pooh-pooh those photographers, but one of the main reasons for this trip was to get family photographs. I guess the stars were all in alignment: every single one of these things turned out perfectly, with sixteen eyes open and eight huge smiles. Each of the photographers wisely snapped two images so we could pick the better of the two when the time came, but each time we ended up buying prints of both, simply because they all turned out so well (of course, the MVMCP photo, of which they only took one, didn’t turn out so well. Que sera, I guess…).
I think one of the most magical experinces I had while on my honeymoon in october was the photographers. We had our bride & groom mouse ears on for the first time when we entered EPCOT. As we were going through the gates, I heard "Hey newly weds, come on over here for a second". The CM took us away to a quieter spot in near the grave yard and basically gave us our own private photo session. He let us see the photos on the digital cam and I ended up buying all three for 2 reasons. 1) I really wanted to show my appreciation for the time and caring the CM gave us and 2) they actually came out perfect.
6. Roller Coasters: Some readers will be surprised to learn that I have my own homerish tendencies with some things WDW; in particular, Space Mountain is just the coolest roller coaster ever. Every time I ride it, it seems faster and just plain more fun. Big Thunder Mountain is probably the most well-themed coaster I’ve ever been on. And last but definitely not least, the Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster was enjoyed by all (yes, my 84 year old grandmother traded in the wheel chair for the super-stretch limo, to the delight of the CM’s, it seemed. She laughed hysterically the whole ride [I was worried just for a moment until I was positive it was laughing], and when we pulled into the unload area she wondered out loud: “Is that all? Oh, good heavens!” You go, girl).
Another of my special moments. The CM let us choose our seats and as we get to the unload area, the CM at the unload platform ushers us through a VIP exit. A short walk down a hall and we're back at the front of the line....to once again get our choice of seats. As we exit I took a look at the photo and decided I wanted the keepsake. The woman handing out the cards wrote some sort of note on it. When I get to the register, the CM hands me the picture at no cost. Very special. Now one of my favorite rides has even more meaning to me.

I'm glad you had a great trip Jeff. I really miss the parks and I'm hoping to plan some type of big family trip next year....welcome back!

Sounds like you have a great trip.

We were there the week before. I hope the weather was as good for you as it was for us. We toyed with the idea of the cruise, but with the crowds so light we knew there would be plenty of good ground based viewing spots. Sounds like we should add this to the list for next time.

I posted some brief comments on just the newer things. Would be interested in your thoughts. Run into anybody important with all the press events going on?

Im glad you had a great trip. and your whole family enjoyed themselves. I would disagree about the quality of the coasters at wdw but thats for another time and place, again glad you had a great time!

I posted some brief comments on just the newer things. Would be interested in your thoughts. Run into anybody important with all the press events going on?
...I'm afraid I'm not going to be much help on either of these fronts. We had two wheel chairs and a stroller in our group, and I purposely scheduled us to avoid the press events by as wide a margin as possible. There were limos all over the roads, so I'm sure I was within spitting distance of some important people, just not so sure about who, precisely. And with the trip being a family event, I saw new things only if that's what everyone wanted to do.

I can offer the following about DinoRama: the fact that Disney had set up a traffic rope that turned you off the main exit path from the Tarzan show and pointed you directly at the DinoRama entrance (not blocking that exit path, mind you, just forcing you to actually turn away from the DR entrance to get back to it), and the reaction of my two-year old niece's family: "Another Dumbo?" and the decision to go to Magic Kingdom (Animal Kingdom was miserable... when was that, Saturday morning, maybe? Brings us back to your question about the weather, it was nice the first couple of days, but got steadily hotter and more humid throughout the week. Because Animal Kingdom exacerbates those conditions, it was very uncomfortable for us there, that morning).

Jeff

Jeff

It sounds like you had a great time.

10. Boma’s breakfast buffet: Have been there for dinner? It is one of the better buffets at WDW. We have not done breakfast there but dinner was great. There are some desserts that are both well themed and delicious. I will have to try the breakfast buffet one of these days.

8. Restaurant Marrakech (and the Morocco Pavilion in general): The food there is great. My sixteen year son had the belly dancer dance for him when we was there for his birthday.

6. Rollercoasters. My kids are not happy unless they do all three mountains one after the oter and then do RNR.

4. Festival of the Lion King: I agree.

3. Artist Point: I personally did not like Jikos that much but love Artist Point. The Salmon on a cedar plank is one of the best dishes that I have had at WDW. On most days at WL, there is a tour of the restaraunts and you can usually get a taste of the cheif's speciality for the week.

1. IllumiNations Cruise: I agree with this. I love to watch Illuminations from the Rose & Crown but the view from the Illuminations cruise is even better.

Welcome back Jeff!! So glad to hear that you had a good time!!

Don't ya just hate the way the pixie dust clouds your vision? I'll give you a couple weeks to shake it off. And I speak from experience. It happens to me every time I go there!! :bounce:

I'm glad you had a good time Jeff - now you got me jonesing for boma and artist point-
DR

You're a magician! But you didn't need to leave me dangling on the other thread! I'm tellin' Mike!

I'm very happy you had a good trip Jeff...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

We were at the 12/7 MVMCP and I thought it was the busiest I've ever seen, although seemed like they were ready with plenty of picture spots and free cocoa and cookies (got 2 trays full as we sat waiting for the parade). Too bad they canned the can-can dancers at the Diamond Horseshoe, I really enjoyed the festive holiday colors when they kicked:D
We picked up the special MVMCP pin as we left (around midnight), which they still had plenty of, despite the line waiting for them to go on sale as the event opened.
Saturday we went to the Beach Club to have breakfast with Goofy and Chip and Dale and Minnie. Minnie gave me a birthday kiss and our waiter sang to me (along with Tasha). This was good, since his service was pretty lacking otherwise (I added another <Disney> dollar to the tip I already signed for after he sung and brought a small desert treat). They (Chip?) also gave me a balloon, which we 'released' later at Epcot since it just got in the way. We then visited Epcot to specifically visit Santa (at the American Pavilion) and he was the same EXCELLENT (the real one?) Santa (and Mrs. Claus) that has been there the last 3 years we've visited him there. I told him that Tasha did end up getting that puppy she asked for last year, even if it was a little late. I was a little 'upset' over how the CMs were unaware that the new generic guidebooks didn't have show/meeting times in them (one even tried to convince me that they did), you can get guides with the times at the hotels and customer relations.
We then caught the MGM parade, which added a new Monsters Inc. car to the motorcade. We also saw a GREAT Sulley (big and furry) and Mike (big wet moving eye) greeting guests across from the Sci-Fi Theatre in front of a big garage door labeled Monsters Inc.
The Sorcerers Hat has 'displaced' MGMs Christmas tree, so it now sits out in front of the ticket gates (like at AK), wonder if they will ever decorate the Tree of Life with GIANT decorations?
The one change I noticed in the Osborne light spectacle was the red/white/and blue themed house and stuff. We had a great time eating at Boma that night. Tasha and I spent our time waiting for our seats 'exploring' the Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Animal areas outside (I think she may want to come back even if there aren't any characters). I tried all the hot food and 3 of the 4 soups, and enjoyed several of the desert selections. Tasha loved the spagetti.
At AK on Sunday, Tasha got to lead the Giraffe section in the 1st show of the FotLK, and marched in the kid parade. She later did her best Tarzan yell as the Queen of the Jungle at the 1st Tarzan show. We then hit the new Dino-land stuff...
Tasha didn't seem too thrilled about the new spinner ride (we will see next time...)
We lost one game then I won the next, winning (for $8, $2 per person per game) a big generic dino-plush. I was hoping that Disney would run this area as more of an attraction, not a big-money making 'scheme', where everyone could walk away a winner at a small price. $2 a head was a bit much, I thought, I would think a buck would be enough. The number of players determine the size prize that was won, so with about 10 players ($20 in pocket), they give away a big plush that probably cost them about a buck. Tasha was more interested in the Winnie the Pooh Explorer Backpack we bought in the shop. On the other hand, it was run real 'nice', no pressure, clean and nice 'carnies'. The only 'pressure' that the 'carnies' displayed was trying to get more players to increase the size of the prize for all to win.

We had yet another special weekend. The theme that magically wove through this trip was Minnie...Tasha found a neat 'Minnie Girl' plush (with platform shoes) Fri night in Tomorrowland, and as we left MVMCP we found another Minnie (pin) with Tasha's birthstone in it. Sat at Cape May (Beach Club), Minnie was one of the characters (instead of Pluto), and she gave me a birthday kiss. At Epcot we were surprised to find a matching 'Minnie Girl' pin, and later at MGM I got my own Minnie birthstone pin. It's really 'magical' how things can fall together like this to make a Disney vacation extra special.

Jeff,
Glad you had a good time! I can't wait to get there in June...
Did you do the new all-you-care-to-eat breakfast at Spoodles? I noticed you said you were there three times. I'll have to try Boma this summer.
I was planning to surprise my wife with an Illuminations cruise (last year it was Keys to the Kingdom) and your report convinced me!
Man that pixie dust is strong... I got goosebumps way over here!

Wow, I'm impressed. Could JJ be less of a 'Glass is half-empty' person and more of a 'Glass is 1/4 empty' person?
Only kidding, your post made me smile (a painful smile, in fact, and those are hard to come by!)
Kungaloosh!!!!
(and hooray for grandma!)

-Steve

Minnie's on the antenna...
Bambi is on the dashboard...
Fantamic is on the front license plate...

I love what you said about your Grandma. I hope that if I'm fortunate enough to travel to WDW at that age, that I ride RnR Coaster and say exactly the same thing. Someday...

Great report, Jeff. :)

We went as a group of 8 in 2000. Never, ever planning to do that again, but I guess it works for some. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter