"There Can't be a Rainbow Without a Little Rain" A July '17 TR! *Complete*

I am bound and determined to finish this trip report! I will be going off year old notes, so we’ll see how that goes. I *thought* this was going to be the last trip until DH graduates in 2020, but we Disney fanatics knows that is never the case :-D I really want to start a PTR for that trip, but I just can’t do it without finishing this one first.

SO, without further ado!

July 20
Disney Springs (part 2)

When we left off (...in August of 2017, oops), we had just returned from a fabulous day at Blizzard Beach.

We made great time getting back to the BWV (by car) and thought our best bet was getting some quick Boardwalk food-- corn dogs and pulled pork baskets! We scarfed down our meals in the room (my only notes say it was hot and fresh, so I assume it was good?), showered, and were off to Disney Springs in no time. We decided not to fuss with busses (and I remembered the car keys this time) and arrived to the Springs quickly. We found a spot in the Orange Lot and made our way to the AMC Theater.

We printed our tickets and wandered around for a few minutes, before just heading back to the theater-- and just in time! The skies opened up and the daily downpour commenced around 5:30. We got a large popcorn to share, some sodas, and made our way to our seats.

We saw Dunkirk. It was great.

After the movie, we made our way over to Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar.

hangar bar.jpg
DH LOVES Indiana Jones, so this was a must do for the trip. In fact, we enjoy Indy so much, that our recessional song at our wedding was the Raider’s Theme! The storms had cleared out the Springs, and we found a great outside table overlooking the water! We contacted our friends M & D (who we had spent the day with at Blizzard Beach), and they planned on meeting us there!

35748734870_e09ab46a1c_m.jpg
Happy husband!!!

I had a seasonal Jocktail: Donovan’s Dilemma (Makers Mark Bourbon, Amaretto, Soda, Lemon Juice, and Honey with a Mint Garnish).

35745502460_62686ccd1f_m.jpg
Donovan's Dilemma- yum!

DH had the Cool-headed Monkey...aka chilled monkey brains (Starr African Rum, Van Der Hum Tangerine Liqueur, fresh Lime Juice, Watermelon, and Pineapple Juice).

35279333394_f2763efb4e_m.jpg
Cool-headed Monkey!

We both really enjoyed our drinks, and (spoiler), DH went home with the souvenir monkey cup! He loves it and still uses it about once a month just for fun.

Our friends showed up and we continued our adventure! We were a bit hungry, so we got a few different items to share: 2 orders of Snakebite sliders, falafel, fries- yum! We had such a great time eating and drinking and laughing. Our bill was a bit pricey, but it was yummy and we had a great time. It was growing late, and with one more park day left, we pulled ourselves away around 11:00.

When we arrived back at the Boardwalk, I decided it was a good time to put some of our gift cards on our account. I also tried to take a panoramic picture... it came out, ok?
36096235586_e4d33bc8e8_z.jpg

We were both in bed a bit before midnight, which was still the latest night for us!

Up Next: Magic Kingdom!

Last edited:
No time like the present to finish a TR! Looks like you had a nice evening at Disney Springs. I love the idea of souvenir mugs.

Your panoramic shot is kind of trippy-looking. LOL.

Magic Kingdom
July 21 (part 1)

This marks the last full day of our trip :sad: So much to do, so little time! Magic Kingdom had EMH 8:00-9:00, so I knew the first hour would be crucial to get a lot of rides in and set up our FP+'s earlier than I normally would (spoiler: it was a great idea).

Our 3 initial FP+'s for today:
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train 9:20-10:20
Space Mountain: 10:30-11:30
Splash Mountain: 11:35-12:35

Off we go! We were up and out quite early. After a quick coffee and breakfast in the room, we headed down to the bus stop a little after 7, and only waited a few minutes before the glorious Magic Kingdom bus arrived! We were off to the MK around 7:15 and through bag check by 7:45.

MK1.jpg
It's Magic Kingdom Day... Hooray!!!
We made our way on to Main Street. This sight NEVER gets old!

castle2.jpg
Hello, Gorgeous!

castle selfie3.jpg
Castle Selfie!

wishing well4.jpg
I Wish... To come back to Disney before 2020 (Wish granted!)

We wanted to make good use of EMH, and we did! We started off with one of our favorites: Peter Pan’s Flight. We always use FP+'s for Peter Pan, so it was nice to actually see the standby queue for once. Riding Peter Pan also felt like the perfect way to start a Magic Kingdom day.

peter pan Q5.jpg
So cute!

This was followed by Winnie the Pooh and a spin on the Teacups before heading to Storybook Circus.

storybook circus6.jpg

First we took a spin on Dumbo:
dumbo7.jpg

Then, we headed over and rode Goofy's Barnstormer for the first time ever! It was... okay? I can how little one's would love the ride, but I can't see us riding it again in the near future. It was a walk on, though, so no biggie. We wandered back in to Fantasyland and went under the sea with Ariel and friends!

We still had a bit before our first FP+ window closed, so we headed over to Big Thunder. We soon found out EVERYONE was heading in that direction, so we 86’d that plan and backtracked to Haunted Mansion. Next up was our first FP+, 7DMT! We had such a blast! But, man was it bright out!

7DMT 8.jpg
July sunshine!

With 8 rides under our belt before 10:00, it was time for a snack! I REALLY wanted to try a Le Fou’s Brew this trip, so we headed over to Gaston’s. Alas, it was a bit too early for all that sugary goodness, so I still have yet to try one! (sacrilege, I know)

giphy.gif

After our snack (whatever it may have been), we headed over to Tomorrowland for a trip to Monstropolis. Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor is always a favorite of ours, and today did not disappoint. This was followed up by another glorious thrill ride: TTA!

It was soon time for FP+ number two of the day: Space Mountain. It felt great passing by the giant 10:30 a.m. queue line! After our ride through the galaxy, we decided to head to where our next FP+ was located-- Frontierland by way of the Walt Disney Railroad.

It was getting HOT, so we were super pleased our next FP+ was Splash Mountain!

splash 9.jpg

As soon as we tapped in (using our 3rd FP), I scoured MDE/refreshed and got a POTC FP+ for 12:00-1:00. It wasn't quite noon, but we were already having an amazing and productive day!

to be continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: DLo

With 8 rides under our belt before 10:00,
Wow! A Great start to the morning!
As soon as we tapped in (using our 3rd FP), I scoured MDE/refreshed and got a POTC FP+ for 12:00-1:00. It wasn't quite noon, but we were already having an amazing and productive day!
I am always kind of fearful of EMH days because I always hear that it's crazy busy, but you made a lot of it!

I just found your report today, but I really enjoyed reading it.

We are staying at The Boardwalk in November for the first time so I like hearing about the experiences of others there. Your room was rather lovely.

Your friends were so thoughtful. I'm glad you spent some time with them at Blizzard Beach.

I'm planning to surprise my husband with the Star Wars dessert party as well. I can't wait for us to get there, and I finally get to spill the secret.

I just found your report and read it all at once! I love how much fun you're having and you were having some nice luck with the FP+! Wow FoP I looked for two weeks prior to my solo trip but no avail...
Your room looks gorgeous! i'd love to stay at a 1 BR one year. If I can get more points, LOL. I already used next years points so I may have to borrow some, hahaha.

Love your pictures! You both are really cute together! I am also the reigning TSM champion! Yay!!

Glad you have returned to finish the TR!

I just found your report and read it all at once!
OMG @chunkymonkey read my TR! Thanks for reading! You are one of the people whose trip reports I LOVE to read and inspired me to write one in the first place :cutie:

i'd love to stay at a 1 BR one year. If I can get more points, LOL.
Don’t do it— you’ll be spoiled forever! :rotfl:DVC is a slippery slope.

You both are really cute together!
Awww, thank you! :lovestruc

Last edited:
OMG @chunkymonkey read my TR! Thanks for reading! You are one of the people whose trip reports I LOVE to read and inspired me to write one in the first place :cutie:

Aww you're too sweet, thank you so much for reading! It's so fun to write on the DIS. I've met many friends through here. :) Hope you continue to write TRs!

Don’t do it— you’ll be spoiled forever! :rotfl:DVC is a slippery slope.

Haha, I'm pretty sure I'll be spoiled! I'm already spoiled. Having the AP is dangerous...it's like I can jet off at any moment and be at my happy place!!

Magic Kingdom
July 21 (part 2)

After a wonderful trip on Splash Mountain (one of our faves), we headed over for our FP for Pirates. We got in line and waited... and waited... Finally the line started moving and off we went! Phew! This was our last trip seeing the Red Head in her old role, so we wanted to make sure we rode it once or twice.
red1.jpg
We wants the red head!
During our wait, I was able to score another FP for the Magic Carpets of Aladdin directly following Pirates. Hooray! We always have such a fun time on the carpets; I know it's just Dumbo with a different look, but camels and A Whole New World make it so much better!

carpets2.jpg
Smile, Donnie!
carpet3.jpg
Really?
carpet4.jpg
And... a good one!

Soon, it was time to exit the park for a bit. We were doing things a little bit differently today; normally we head back to the resort for a nap or a swim, but our afternoon break today just included lunch outside the park. We didn't want to spend too much time outside the park, since there's SO much to do in the MK and we only get one day to do it!

In no time, we caught the boat over to Wilderness Lodge-- today’s lunch would be at Whispering Canyon Cafe! Donnie had never eaten there, and I hadn’t been in years. I thought Wilderness Lodge would be the perfect place for an afternoon rest, too. Originally, I had booked us for lunch at Kona Cafe, but once they revamped their menu last year I changed to Whispering Canyon, plus they have sweet potato fries, which Donnie loves!

No food pics, but I know I had: Tuna Melt on Mulitgrain Bread - with Vine-ripened Tomatoes, Sharp White Cheddar, Arugula, and Pistou-Herb Oil
and Donnie had: Grilled Chicken Sandwich - with roasted red peppers and red onions, fresh greens, and olive-herb goat cheese spread; served with your choice of French Fries, Sweet Potato Fries, or Cucumber Salad (obvs the sweet potato fries). Both meals were delicious, and relatively inexpensive in Disney terms.

I also got:

soda7.jpg
the most massive Coke Zero ever!!!

Our server was great! Just the right amount of silliness, not abrasive, efficient. He was awesome. It was great watching him interact with other tables, too. Straws in the hair, lots of KETCHUP!!!

Halfway through the meal, it was pony ride time! All the youngsters in the restaurant mounted their trusty steeds (aka Stick Ponies). And then our server called Donnie up to bring up the rear.

pony8.jpg
I love that he is such a good sport! :lovestruc

We really had the best lunch and definitely will be back in the future.

(When we went to the restroom after lunch, a little boy approached Donnie. He was from somewhere in the South [so this must be read in a southern accent] and told Donnie: "Hey, Mister... niiice pony-ridin' " It was hysterical and nearly the title of this TR.)

While we were at lunch, the clouds unfortunately started rolling in... oh, goodie, more rain! We wandered around the resort for a bit, hoping the rain would let up, and admired the beautiful lobby!

lodge5.jpg

lodge9.jpg

We poncho’d up and made our way back to the boat. Luckily, the rain mostly passed us by and we just got a few sprinkles.
giphy.gif

I had made a FP on the boat ride to lunch for Buzz Lightyear, so that’s where we were headed next!

to be continued...

Magic Kingdom
July 21 (part 3)

We arrived back to the MK and slowwwwly made our way back in to the park. Between being a Friday in July and having EMH, the Magic Kingdom was getting quite crowded!

We headed to Tomorrowland to use our next FP for Buzz Lightyear. I was having a great game, until the ride stopped-- all the lights came on, and then our scores were zeroed out! NOOOO!!!

giphy.gif

I always *always* win Buzz, so it was quite a bummer when Donnie won after our slight delay. :rotfl:

As was the case with the day (and the whole trip for that matter), I scoured MDE and refreshed once we tapped in to Buzz and was able to find another FP for Pirates, so we headed to Adventureland after my dismal performance on Buzz.

35963232242_e0478b024f_z.jpg

I just love Pirates of the Carribean!!! We went on a whirlwind of FPing and rides afterward:

First up was the Jungle Cruise! Our host was okay, luckily we were at the front of the boat so we could hear everything he said. Between his accent and the poor speakers, it wasn’t our best Jungle Cruise, but still fun.

Next up was the Enchanted Tiki Room. I know a lot of people find this a meh attraction, but I just love it! Apparently it was also my very, very favorite attraction on my first trip to Disney World. I was about 2, and I wanted to see the Tiki Birds over and over again. We’d go in, and I’d say “Bwing on ta tiki burds, bring on ta water.” It’s always been a must do for us since then!

tiki 2.jpg

This was followed by another headliner attraction: Country Bears! Those silly bears. I love the Sun Bonnet Trio: "Every guy that turns me on, turns me down."

country bears3.jpg

We hadn’t ridden one of my favorites yet, so I was super glad to grab a FP for Haunted Mansion! No pics, apparently. :hmghost:

This was followed up by Winnie the Pooh!

pooh4.jpg
Silly old Bear!
It was around 6:30 when we were getting off "it's a small world" and we were both started to getting a rumbly in our tumblies!

small world.jpg
We managed to get one more attraction in before heading for a bite to eat: Mickey's Philharmagic! Definitely my favorite 3-D (or is that 4-D) movie in Disney!!!

We made our way through the castle en route to dinner...

castle.jpg
Never ceases to amaze me how beautiful the mosaics are!

Tonight's dinner would be super gourmet. We headed back towards Main Street for a delicious meal at... Casey's!!! I had corn dog nuggets and fries, and Donnie had the most absurdly large hotdog ever.

hotdog.jpg
:rotfl2:

to be continued...

Magic Kingdom
July 21 (part 4)

After our tasty dinner, we made our way back in to Adventureland, stopping for a few pics on Main Street. :earsboy::earsgirl:

afterdinner .5.jpg
Disney Love!

The “purpose” was to go on Pirates (again), but my real motive was to conveniently be located near some of my favorite snacks in the park-- Dole Whips and Citrus Swirls-- for an after dinner treat!

citrus swirl2.jpg
Citrus Swirl... Delicious!

Donnie really wanted his favorite treat, a Mickey Bar, but wasn’t hungry for one quite yet. I promised we’d get him one by the end of the night.

We wandered around the Emporium for a bit, not really finding anything that struck our fancies. It was already starting to get busy near the hub, so we decided we should probably stake out a spot of Happily Ever After. We hadn’t seen HEA yet, so we wanted to make sure we got a great spot. It was about an hour to start time at this point.

castle4.jpg

It was hot. And crowded. But we had a great spot right near the Plaza Restaurant. About 3 minutes before it started, a family showed up and squashed in right in front of us. At this point, there was no where else to go. Up went a guy’s iPad for photos (SERIOUSLY, who brings an iPad to the parks for photos?) and we stood angrily watching HEA. We didn’t want to make a scene or anything, but it really put a damper on the viewing.

HEA5.jpg

HEA6.jpg

I am indifferent on the show. We loved Wishes and the song always made me tear up. I really wanted to love HEA, but we need to give it another chance under better circumstances.

Luckily, we had another FP to cheer us up after the HEA disappointment. We made our back in to Fantasyland for another ride on Peter Pan’s Flight. It seemed like a fitting way to both start and end our amazing day in the MK. We were both pretty exhausted at this point, and, even though we left the park for lunch, we were really starting to feel the effects of not taking our usual afternoon hotel break!

Peter Pan was not our final ride, however. There was no line for the Carrousel so, we decided to take a spin.

carrousel7.jpg

It really was the perfect way to end the night!
I was never able to find a FP for BTMRR and we didn’t feel like backtracking to Frontierland (or waiting in line), so we decided to call it a night.

FP3.jpg
Our FP total for the end of the day: 13!

Donnie still hadn’t had a Mickey Bar, so we started looking around for an open ice cream cart. Unfortunately, no where was open at this point. He was pretty bummed, but I had one more trick up my sleeve on where we could get one.

We made our way to the park exit, saying a tearful goodbye to the Castle, thinking we wouldn’t be back for a few years. The line for the bus back to the Boardwalk was huge, but we just wanted to be back. It was a long, crowded, standing ride back “home,” but eventually we made it.

I told Donnie I wanted to go to the Boardwalk gift shop; I hadn’t found a Christmas ornament I loved yet, but there was a Boardwalk keychain I knew would function perfectly as an ornament. I wanted to make sure I got it tonight.

BW.jpg

Little did he know, the gift shop also has Mickey Bars!!! So, he got his Mickey Bar, albeit a little late, and enjoyed it on the Boardwalk as we enjoyed our final evening at the World.

giphy.gif

All in all, it was truly a wonderful last day!!!

Last edited:
Following along! I love that you were watching GoT while you were at Disney! It reminds me of when me and my husband were at Universal and were able to watch the finale on HBO after a day at the parks !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter