There and Back Again: A Land and Sea Disney Christmas Tale! *DECEMBER TRIP - UPDATED 2/18*

Hello everyone and greetings from Orlando International Airport! I had a great cruise on the Disney Fantasy!

However, there is nothing like spending the last 2 days of your cruise sick. :( I could definitely tell there were quite a few people that ended up with a cold on this cruise. So, I feel like someone spread it around the ship which wasn't fun to spend my last few days. However, there was nothing that was going to keep me from enjoying Castaway Cay on the final day of the cruise.

So, Wednesday night we would enjoy a wonderful meal at Palo where we would end up having a nice surprise. :)

Thursday was a sea day which ended up being a very nice day.

One interesting thing that happened was I would decide to leave an evening showing of Wreck-It-Ralph a little early. Ended up being a great decision since I got to see a rehearsal of one of the Star Wars Day At Sea shows in the lobby atrium. Of course I wasn't allowed to take any photos or videos though.

Friday was Castaway Cay day. I would end up having a great day, but a later start due to how I was feeling. I would rent a bike around the island which was really nice. I would then fall asleep on the adult beach for a couple hours. It was definitely a nice day in paradise.

After a great cruise, we are now at Orlando International Airport waiting for our flight home. Security was a real pain this morning. Long waits, and everything was moving slowly.

Stay tuned for more live updates!

Ah man, sorry you got sick- it's not hard to do on a cruise. I like that you made the best of it though. Looking forward to the reveal of the surprise at Palo. Did you score any cool Disney swag on the cruise???:)

Ah man, sorry you got sick- it's not hard to do on a cruise. I like that you made the best of it though. Looking forward to the reveal of the surprise at Palo. Did you score any cool Disney swag on the cruise???:)
A couple pins and some Christmas ornaments. I got some stuff at WDW as well.

Hooray for an extra day at sea! Hope the weather had minimal effect on the large cruise boat even as it kept the small tenders in port.

The bamboo raft in Jamaica sounds like such a fun and unique experience. Can’t wait to hear more.

And what a treat to see the Aladdin production! It sounds wonderful.

May the weather be perfect for your Castaway Cay day! I am sure that must be a favorite port for most.
The Fantasy was mostly ok due to motion. We can feel the motion a little bit, but by Tuesday, I had achieved my sea legs.

The Jamaica Excursion we did was really cool and would easily do again.

You have no idea how much I love the Aladdin show! It’s sad when you have a whole show practically memorized (minus the Genie jokes).

Castaway Cay was a rare perfect in terms of weather! A beautiful day and definitely one of my favorite ports.

I would love that! The music from the movie is so good.:earsboy: I'm sorry I never got to see the show at DLR.
Outside of the Festival of the Lion King, it was probably the best Theme Park Show out there. It honestly gave Festival of the Lion King a run for its money.

Hello everyone!

I would arrive safely home in the cold mid-west after a great extensive trip to Florida and the Caribbean.

It is now time for me to rest and to get better as quick as possible since I have some Christmas Concerts coming up (including one tomorrow...yay)!

I would like to thank all of you for following along on my second round of live updates for this Trip Report! I can't wait to dive into my official updates and tell all of you about all of the fun that I had!

Stay tuned for my Official Updates starting really soon! :)

Welcome home, Zach! Feel better quickly! I'm looking forward to the official updates!
Thank you. I'm feeling much better now, and I began to feel a lot better as soon as I got home. I'm now getting ready to start preparing my live updates which will begin in the next couple days! :)

Just found your TR and going back to read it all! Sounds like a great trip despite some sickies!
Thank you for joining in! Definitely a great trip, and I didn't let the sickness keep me from enjoying the things that I wanted to. I definitely did keep in mind that I was around people at all times. So, I tried to be respectful and keep some distance. Overall, a great trip and I can't wait to tell you about it! :)

Glad to have found your report and looking forward to reading it. My husband and I are also musical (he trained at the Western Australia Academy of Performing Arts (WAPPA) aka Hugh Jackman's alma mater, and I learned piano until I got sick of it at 14 and taught myself to sing - so we have varying levels of talent :tongue::earboy2::rotfl2: (i.e. he is wayyy more talented and plays piano, guitar, drums and bass - but wishes he played the saxophone). I always think that one of the reasons I do love music so much was thanks to Disney, from such a young age music was part of my life thanks (in a large part) to the Disney movies I watched (and all the 50s rock my Dad made me listen to). I am excited to keep reading about your recent adventures - it's been almost 2 years since our last Disney trip (one where we visited all the Asian parks) but thankfully the Disney dry spell will be sending September/October next year when we are taking a trip to Disneyland and Disney World. I'm with you, Disneyland is my favourite of the castle parks (Tokyo Disneyland is a close second) and Animal Kingdom is for sure my favourite park at WDW. Thanks for posting your trip report :flower1::yay::yay::cheer2:

Reading along - really enjoying your photography - you have a great eye for composition (my husband and I are also photographers and love taking photo at Disney). We shoot with a Canon 6D - and just bought three new lens for our trip next year (a wide angle, fish eye and prime lens for dark ride photography)...Anyway, very much enjoying your report

Glad to have found your report and looking forward to reading it. My husband and I are also musical (he trained at the Western Australia Academy of Performing Arts (WAPPA) aka Hugh Jackman's alma mater, and I learned piano until I got sick of it at 14 and taught myself to sing - so we have varying levels of talent :tongue::earboy2::rotfl2: (i.e. he is wayyy more talented and plays piano, guitar, drums and bass - but wishes he played the saxophone). I always think that one of the reasons I do love music so much was thanks to Disney, from such a young age music was part of my life thanks (in a large part) to the Disney movies I watched (and all the 50s rock my Dad made me listen to). I am excited to keep reading about your recent adventures - it's been almost 2 years since our last Disney trip (one where we visited all the Asian parks) but thankfully the Disney dry spell will be sending September/October next year when we are taking a trip to Disneyland and Disney World. I'm with you, Disneyland is my favourite of the castle parks (Tokyo Disneyland is a close second) and Animal Kingdom is for sure my favourite park at WDW. Thanks for posting your trip report :flower1::yay::yay::cheer2:
Hello! Thank you for joining in!

That's a very impressive list of musical talent that you have in your family! :)

I hope you enjoy my "home" park when you go to Disneyland. I miss being able to go to that place on a daily basis!

Reading along - really enjoying your photography - you have a great eye for composition (my husband and I are also photographers and love taking photo at Disney). We shoot with a Canon 6D - and just bought three new lens for our trip next year (a wide angle, fish eye and prime lens for dark ride photography)...Anyway, very much enjoying your report
Thank you! This might surprise you but all of my photos and videos are taken on my iPhone. :D I don't own a professional camera.

Day 1: Travel Day!

It was a nice and cold winter morning in the Midwest when I wold wake up and make my way to the airport. Even if it was cold, I knew I was going to be somewhere warm in a few hours. That is because I was on my way to Orlando!!!

I would arrive at my local airport, get through security quickly, and it was then time to board my flight to Orlando!

I was really happy to be heading back to Orlando! :)

A nice foggy morning in the Midwest as well.

Pretty soon we would be up in the air. It’s always nice to see the sunset rise over the clouds while on the plane. Of course I hummed the “Circle of Life” at this moment. :D

Orlando would eventually come into view. I was close to being back!

I was finally on the ground in Orlando!!!

It was time for my first ride of the trip on the tram!

The main terminal area of Orlando International Airport.

It was time for the long walk to Disney’s Magical Express, but the long walk always makes me more excited to just get on property.

I would then board a Disney’s Magical Express bus. This bus had the new bus design on it.

It was time for the 30 minute bus ride to Walt Disney World property!!!

It wasn’t to long before I would arrive at my first resort for this trip. That resort was All-Star Music.

I would check-in, and the Cast Member would tell me that my room wasn’t ready yet. Also, the Cast Member mentioned that I got upgraded to a family suite. As a solo traveler, I knew that I didn’t need that much space. So, I respectfully declined and told the Cast Member to give the room to a family that would need more than I would.

The Cast Member would then set me up with a normal preferred guest room like I ordered. I was able to get into that type of room while checking in. That made it real nice since I could go to my room, unpack a little, and head off to my first Theme Park of the trip!

More in my next post!

Day 1: A Day That Didn’t Go According To Plan!

My first park of this trip would be Disney’s Animal Kingdom!!!

When I arrived at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I was hungry and it was also lunch time. So, I would make my way to Pandora where I would head to my favorite Walt Disney World quick service location, Satuli Canteen.

The food at this location is outstanding! Definitely a great place to get a healthy theme park meal.

My next stop would be Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail.

I love meerkats!

I would also spot a gorilla while on the trail!

At this point, I would like to welcome a great DIS friend of mine, @Lesley Wake to this trip report!

I would meet up with Lesley and we had fastpasses for Kilimanjaro Safaris!

We would spot the black rhino!

Baby giraffe!!!

Had a great view of the female elephants and Stella! Stella is growing up way too fast.

The white rhinos were in view of the trucks.

We were able to spot the lions but they were sleeping.

After a trip through the African savannah, it was time to head back to Pandora. This is where we would have a fastpass for Flight of Passage!

I was on seat number 10.

Getting a picture in the blue viewing room and Lesley trying to have her hand photobomb me. She succeeded.

Lesley and I getting ready to fly on a Banshee!

After a ride on the banshee, I would say farewell to Lesley for the day. I would decide to head over to EPCOT.

I would get on a bus to the Boardwalk and make my way to the International Gateway entrance of EPCOT.

I would head to the American Adventure Pavilion where I was hoping to see the last performance of the Voices of Liberty. I would sit on the floor and for 5 minutes I realized that it was strange to not have anyone in the room sitting on the floor with me. I would look at the schedule, and I would then realize that the Voices of Liberty changed their schedule during this time of the year due to the Candlelight Processional. So, I got up and walked out of the American Adventure Pavilion. My Voices of Liberty Dickens Caroler performances would have to wait until the next day.

I would then leave EPCOT, get on the monorail, and head to the Ticket and Transportation Center.

This is where I would get a Lyft to take me to the Disney Car Center. I would be renting a car for half of my trip.

I had no idea what I was going to do at this point. I knew I was wanting to be at EPCOT in the evening to view Illuminations. So, I would park at EPCOT.

I would then get back on the monorail, because I wanted to go to the Grand Floridian to see the gingerbread house and the decorations.

I would enjoy looking around at the decorations.

This is where my evening would change quickly. Earlier in the day, I had a dental issue arise that needed immediate attention. I searched all around Orlando and actually found an emergency dental location that was open on a Saturday. So, my evening quickly changed, because I would head back to EPCOT, get my rental car, and drive to this dental location to have work done.

After my dental work was over, I quickly realized I wouldn’t make it to EPCOT. I realized that I forgot some things while packing. Therefore, I ended up at a Target to grab a few things near Disney property.

I would have a late dinner at the Mcdonald’s on Disney property right by my hotel.

*RANT TIME*

So, after my very long evening, I would arrive back at All-Star Music. I wanted to watch T.V. However, I couldn’t get the remote to work. I called front desk to ask for a new remote or batteries. The Cast Member showed up 25 minutes later, gave me a box, 2 batteries, and walked away. So, it was up to me to program the remote in the T.V. After 30 more minutes went by of me trying to get this remote a try, I gave up. The instructions inside the remote box didn’t make any sense.

So, I marched myself up to the front desk at 10:30 p.m. at night. At this point, I felt sorry for any Cast Member I was going to talk to. Luckily, by the time I got up to the counter, I cooled down a little bit. I explained what happened and the Cast Member was shocked at what I had experienced with the T.V. remote. She went to the back to talk to her manager. When she came back, she said that a Cast Member will be up to program the remote in the T.V. Also, the Cast Member “knows which Cast Member you dealt with earlier.”

So, if the manager knows the Cast Member that didn’t want to have anything to do with helping me earlier has had these issues in the past, why is this Cast Member still working in this role in the company that deals with being around guests and making guests happy.

The best part of the evening was the same Cast Member was then waiting for me to get back to my room after walking to the front desk to help program my T.V. Also, it took her 30 seconds to program the remote. So, what ended up being a one hour issue for me, could have been resolved if the Cast Member just stayed at my room for 30 more seconds earlier in the evening.

This was the worst taste of Disney Customer Service I have ever experienced. I probably shouldn't have cared this much over a T.V. remote, but after being on many Disney vacations, you get accustomed to the great Disney Customer Service that is usually always represented everywhere you go. The front desk was amazing. However, I have never dealt with a Cast Member that looked like she didn’t even want to be working for the company.

*RANT OVER*

So, after a very long day, it was time for some sleep. I was excited to get back into the parks the next day.

Stay tuned for more updates from my December trip to Walt Disney World!

I would meet up with Lesley and we had fastpasses for Kilimanjaro Safaris!

We would spot the black rhino!

Baby giraffe!!!

Had a great view of the female elephants and Stella! Stella is growing up way too fast.

The white rhinos were in view of the trucks.

You forgot about the cheerleaders constantly standing up and the long delay just out of view of the elephants!

After a trip through the African savannah, it was time to head back to Pandora. This is where we would have a fastpass for Flight of Passage!

Also, the longest wait ever in the pre-show! At least we got to see it cycle through the whole sequence of the "ghost" characters!

You forgot about the cheerleaders constantly standing up and the long delay just out of view of the elephants!

Also, the longest wait ever in the pre-show! At least we got to see it cycle through the whole sequence of the "ghost" characters!
The other experiences of the day overshadowed those in my mind. Thank you for reminding me!

A nice foggy morning in the Midwest as well.

Hey! That plane has the OLD Southwest color scheme on it! My Grandma used to live one block off of the airport in Chicago, and we would lay in her backyard watching planes come in for a landing--they were so close to use we could actually see people and wave at them! Thanks for making me think of those happy memories by posting this pic!

I would check-in, and the Cast Member would tell me that my room wasn’t ready yet. Also, the Cast Member mentioned that I got upgraded to a family suite. As a solo traveler, I knew that I didn’t need that much space. So, I respectfully declined and told the Cast Member to give the room to a family that would need more than I would.
Awesome to be upgraded! Even more awesome that you left that pixie dust for a family who hopefully received it and really appreciated the extra space!

Getting a picture in the blue viewing room and Lesley trying to have her hand photobomb me. She succeeded.

LOL, hello @Lesley Wake :)

Hey! That plane has the OLD Southwest color scheme on it! My Grandma used to live one block off of the airport in Chicago, and we would lay in her backyard watching planes come in for a landing--they were so close to use we could actually see people and wave at them! Thanks for making me think of those happy memories by posting this pic!

Awesome to be upgraded! Even more awesome that you left that pixie dust for a family who hopefully received it and really appreciated the extra space!

LOL, hello @Lesley Wake :)
- Yep! One reason why I thought that picture was really cool and rare these days. Glad it gave you some special memories!

- It was an easy way for me to give some pixie dust to someone since WDW got rid of the best way to pixie dust someone. That was the ability to give fast passes to other people.

As a solo traveler, I knew that I didn’t need that much space. So, I respectfully declined and told the Cast Member to give the room to a family that would need more than I would
That was very kind of you- I'm sure whichever family got it is grateful even if they don't know it was because of you!

When are they not? Hahaha

The best part of the evening was the same Cast Member was then waiting for me to get back to my room after walking to the front desk to help program my T.V. Also, it took her 30 seconds to program the remote. So, what ended up being a one hour issue for me, could have been resolved if the Cast Member just stayed at my room for 30 more seconds earlier in the evening.
Wow that is frustrating. Glad it got resolved and hopefully the CM either gets reassigned or develops a better customer service attitude!

Glad you got your dental work figured out, but I'm sorry it happened to you while on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter