Theme Parks or the World?

aurorae

DIS Veteran
Do other people get tired of going to the theme parks over and over?

Many times when planning vacation I decide to go to some National Parks or travel internationally. If I spend more than a week in Orlando I find I don't need to go back for a couple of years. Is that strange?

I posted this here, because I suspect some of you planning to visit the West would be in this situation, maybe more so than people that go to Orlando several times a year?

Well we are big Disney fans, but my DD also really enjoys the National Parks, so we try to include both places when we plan our vacations for the year. This year we are doing Yellostone during the summer and are seriously thinking about Disneyland in October.

We do go to WDW every year but we take other trips as well. I can guarantee you we would not go nearly as much as we do if we could only take one trip a year - there are just too many other places to explore.

We usually do a three night annual Orlando mini trip (typically Sea World -- our very favorite that we go to every year and one other park) // Since there are sooo many parks (4 disney, 4 water, 2 universal, gatorland that we alternate going to, we only do a repeat on these about every 11 years)

We love the National Parks too and usually do a week long trip to one of these or another natural place every year. Last year was Sedona and the Grand Canyon. This year Zion and Bryce.

I LOVE to travel and go as many places as I can but to be quite honest the reason we go to Disney so often is we live in northern CA and it is the cheapest vacation we can do with our large family. We usually either drive or wait till we can get cheap airfare and go in the off season and there are so many deals to be had on hotels and tickets etc. For us the airfare alone for a family of 5 kills us for a trip to Hawaii, Mexico etc.

We were considering doing a road trip this summer to Wa, OR and Yellowstone but even THAT can get expensive when you add all the hotels, meals etc.

We LOVE to go other places and do other things but it is so easy to just hop on a plane or in the car and go to Disney for a few days and we can usually do it for under 1000 and we can't do very many other trips for that.

We DID go to D.C. this last summer though and it was SO fun and I am hoping that eventually we can do more!

We try and do one of each every year. With a family of 3 we can be a little spoiled. In the past we also tried to link non Disney trips with work/conference trips, so often the workers airfare was covered, plus a few night of hotel. Using this technique we have made trips to Vegas, San Antonio, Washington DC, General Orlando,Australia, Phoenix.

You'll note from my signature that I've done the Land a few times in the past and have or will be doing the World twice. This trip we're going to the Everglades and Catalina Island.

I suspect that the reason why there isn't that much "chat or threads" about the NPs is because we are on a dedicated Disney Forum..
I would think that if people were asked, they would have an extensive list of holiday destinations.

However, we're also outdoorsey people and we LOVE LOVE LOVE the NPs in the US. We have also included NPs in our trips over the last 20 years:
  • California/Nevada -Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Muir, Lassen Volcanic, Shasta, Sequoia, Anza-Borego
  • West Coast - driven from LA via Redwoods, Crater Lake, Mt St Helens, Puget Sound to Canadian Rockies
  • Arizona - Grand Canyon (North and South Rim), Antelope Canyon, Canyon de Chelly, Sedona/Oak Creek , Route 66
  • Utah and Southwest - Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Kodachrome, Capitol Reef, Arches, Monument Valley, Mesa Verde, 4 Corners
  • West to East - Glacier Lake, Going to the Sun Road, Yellowstone, Little BigHorn, Cody, Wall, Mt Rushmore, Deadwood, Badlands, Devil's Mountain, Appalachians
  • Florida - Keys
  • New York/New England - Mystic, Salem, Boston, Kenebunk, Niagara Falls

We've even been to Eastern Canada - Quebec City, Montreal and Toronto, Mexico and Hawaii. We've also spent 8 months backpacking through Europe.
We've also travelled through South East Asia; and loads of Australia (which is where we live).

One of these days, we're going to do Alaska!

Disney is great, but I also love the National Parks.

Yellowstone and Yosemite are my favorites.

Grand Canyon is a must see. :)

Great. Sometimes, reading these boards makes it seem like everyone wants to spend every free day at Disney. I just started thinking maybe there was something wrong with me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter