Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, It's off to run we go! A new and improved Teetz running Journal

I hope that everone's stories have been helpful.
I started college as a double major, dropped 1/2 of it (Ag Ed) and graduated with my BS in Ag Econ. I'll spare you the details, but making a lot more $ ultimately won for me at the time. (I still regret not becoming a teacher... but there is still time!) I would strongly, strongly consider doing an internship in a field that you're interested in. That is how I found my current career and honestly didn't even know this career existed when I was in high school.

With your current goal of imagineering, I think it's worth considering if it's the company or the career that you're most interested in. Would you be happier doing the same type of job for a different company or happier doing a different job but still working for Disney?

And my last piece of (unsolicited) advice is to get involved in a student group on campus. Great for socializing and great for resumes. :)

Ditto those who went through various changes in their life goals. And, I do think we sometimes have really unrealistic expectations for college students to decide on a career path early in their academic career.

I always wanted to be a vet as a kid. That was my driving goal and then when I got into my college, my counselor really discouraged me because of how difficult it was to get into vet school at the time (great counselor huh?) Anyway, I knew I wanted to stay in science and Biology, so I fumbled through to a Biology degree contemplating various jobs throughout my college career. Graduated with a BS in Biology and yet no real career in mind. Went back and got certified to teach (student teaching quickly affirmed for me that I did NOT want to be a teacher). Worked in a vet office for a few years making a pittance and finally stumbled upon Medical Laboratory Science. As a career I'd never even thought about it or even knew what it was. Went back to school for a year and FINALLY at age 27 settled into my career. It was a long road, but well worth it to finally end up where I belong. 26 years after entering the profession I'm still glad I chose it even if it took a long time to get here. Don't be afraid of the journey and don't let somebody tell you that you have to decide your entire future today. Be okay with some false starts and backtracking. It's life and you have a long way to go yet. I was revisiting some inspirational videos I love today and rewatched this one. It's funny and has some good truths in it! And for you, especially number 9!

I hope that everone's stories have been helpful.
I started college as a double major, dropped 1/2 of it (Ag Ed) and graduated with my BS in Ag Econ. I'll spare you the details, but making a lot more $ ultimately won for me at the time. (I still regret not becoming a teacher... but there is still time!) I would strongly, strongly consider doing an internship in a field that you're interested in. That is how I found my current career and honestly didn't even know this career existed when I was in high school.

With your current goal of imagineering, I think it's worth considering if it's the company or the career that you're most interested in. Would you be happier doing the same type of job for a different company or happier doing a different job but still working for Disney?

And my last piece of (unsolicited) advice is to get involved in a student group on campus. Great for socializing and great for resumes. :)
Thanks!

I definitely think I could be happy if I work for Disney in some other capacity.

I know I should get involved more on campus its just the initial going out of my way to do it that stresses me out.

Ditto those who went through various changes in their life goals. And, I do think we sometimes have really unrealistic expectations for college students to decide on a career path early in their academic career.

I always wanted to be a vet as a kid. That was my driving goal and then when I got into my college, my counselor really discouraged me because of how difficult it was to get into vet school at the time (great counselor huh?) Anyway, I knew I wanted to stay in science and Biology, so I fumbled through to a Biology degree contemplating various jobs throughout my college career. Graduated with a BS in Biology and yet no real career in mind. Went back and got certified to teach (student teaching quickly affirmed for me that I did NOT want to be a teacher). Worked in a vet office for a few years making a pittance and finally stumbled upon Medical Laboratory Science. As a career I'd never even thought about it or even knew what it was. Went back to school for a year and FINALLY at age 27 settled into my career. It was a long road, but well worth it to finally end up where I belong. 26 years after entering the profession I'm still glad I chose it even if it took a long time to get here. Don't be afraid of the journey and don't let somebody tell you that you have to decide your entire future today. Be okay with some false starts and backtracking. It's life and you have a long way to go yet. I was revisiting some inspirational videos I love today and rewatched this one. It's funny and has some good truths in it! And for you, especially number 9!

Thanks!

You all have been very helpful.

Good grief, I have loved reading every single one of these stories.

I have nothing helpful to add because I just typed out my career changes for the past 15 years and want to cry.

I wish you all the luck in your decision! Life is hard. <3

Good grief, I have loved reading every single one of these stories.

I have nothing helpful to add because I just typed out my career changes for the past 15 years and want to cry.

I wish you all the luck in your decision! Life is hard. <3
I know, everyone's stories have been great.

Thanks!

I just remembered when I was running yesterday a car drove by with "On Wisc" tags, thought of you. I didn't mentally register if it was a Nebraska tag or Wisconsin but thought it was funny either way since it was in NE.

I just remembered when I was running yesterday a car drove by with "On Wisc" tags, thought of you. I didn't mentally register if it was a Nebraska tag or Wisconsin but thought it was funny either way since it was in NE.
Cool!

So its been a little bit since an update...

First off I went running today! It was an amazing day. 78-79 degrees which sure beats 40s-50s a week ago. Tomorrow will be 82 but not sure I will run or not yet. I went to school in shorts and a t-shirt which is so weird considering I probably haven't done that since September/October of last year. It was a nice short easy run for me today. 3.07 miles, 30:25 minutes, 9:55 min/mi. I need to get back into a regular routine but that probably won't happen until school is done which is in just two weeks!

Speaking of school....

Remember that long post a couple weeks ago now? Well I have forgone architecture and will continue with business. I am not sure exactly which route in business yet but this will work better for me overall in how my life works and can take me many places in the near and distant future. Hopefully this is the last major change I have to make.

Moving onto Disney....

My ADR day is Saturday for my Wine and Dine trip! (I thought it was Friday but I was a day off) I am thinking Cali Grill for brunch after the half. I know some Disers were talking about getting together to do that. I am also looking at maybe another Disney Springs restaurant I haven't had. Food and Wine will be a priority as its the first time I will be there for that. Maybe I will add in Tiffins too because I love that place.

Also related to Disney we are in the process of painting one of our bathrooms with a Toy Story theme. So think baby blue walls with the clouds and maybe some cameos of characters from the films (which I will be painting).

And finally its May! Its my birthday month and I will no longer be a teenager.

So its been a little bit since an update...

First off I went running today! It was an amazing day. 78-79 degrees which sure beats 40s-50s a week ago. Tomorrow will be 82 but not sure I will run or not yet. I went to school in shorts and a t-shirt which is so weird considering I probably haven't done that since September/October of last year. It was a nice short easy run for me today. 3.07 miles, 30:25 minutes, 9:55 min/mi. I need to get back into a regular routine but that probably won't happen until school is done which is in just two weeks!

Speaking of school....

Remember that long post a couple weeks ago now? Well I have forgone architecture and will continue with business. I am not sure exactly which route in business yet but this will work better for me overall in how my life works and can take me many places in the near and distant future. Hopefully this is the last major change I have to make.

Moving onto Disney....

My ADR day is Saturday for my Wine and Dine trip! (I thought it was Friday but I was a day off) I am thinking Cali Grill for brunch after the half. I know some Disers were talking about getting together to do that. I am also looking at maybe another Disney Springs restaurant I haven't had. Food and Wine will be a priority as its the first time I will be there for that. Maybe I will add in Tiffins too because I love that place.

Also related to Disney we are in the process of painting one of our bathrooms with a Toy Story theme. So think baby blue walls with the clouds and maybe some cameos of characters from the films (which I will be painting).

And finally its May! Its my birthday month and I will no longer be a teenager.

All good stuff! Enjoy, dude.

Toy Story bathroom how fun! Business is always good, it's so open with what you can do with it. Yes, to warmer weather, feels amazing!

Yay for running!

I meant to mention this when the topic first came up and I forgot ... you may want to look at the Disney Careers website to see what they're looking for in interns and entry-level positions. I don't know if either of those is an option (I'm guessing you may want to save up some money before moving out to California or Florida), but it will at least give you some guidance in terms of what coursework you may want to take to supplement your major. But business is definitely a good choice - it gives you a lot of opportunities post-graduation.

California Grill sounds like a nice place to celebrate the half!

Man, 20 feels like forever ago... happy birthday month!

Yay for running!

I meant to mention this when the topic first came up and I forgot ... you may want to look at the Disney Careers website to see what they're looking for in interns and entry-level positions. I don't know if either of those is an option (I'm guessing you may want to save up some money before moving out to California or Florida), but it will at least give you some guidance in terms of what coursework you may want to take to supplement your major. But business is definitely a good choice - it gives you a lot of opportunities post-graduation.

California Grill sounds like a nice place to celebrate the half!

Man, 20 feels like forever ago... happy birthday month!
Yeah I’ve visited the Disney careers site before. Good to check back there though.

Thanks!

Isn’t it great to have nice weather again?! Glad you got school figured out, you can’t go wrong with a business degree. So versatile. My ADR day is Saturday,too. Too many choices lol. I’m stressed. Happy early birthday! I have heard so many people talk about how great the teenage years are. I’m sorry but that’s just wrong. The 20s are such a great decade. Just make sure to remember some of it...;)

Isn’t it great to have nice weather again?! Glad you got school figured out, you can’t go wrong with a business degree. So versatile. My ADR day is Saturday,too. Too many choices lol. I’m stressed. Happy early birthday! I have heard so many people talk about how great the teenage years are. I’m sorry but that’s just wrong. The 20s are such a great decade. Just make sure to remember some of it...;)
Yes this weather is so much better!

Thanks!

A little late to the party, but one more story...I originally went to Purdue to study biomedical engineering. After my sophomore year I decided that was not for me and transferred to a small Christian college in Chicago and majored in Economics which I actually enjoyed. But getting a good job with only a B.A in Econ can be tough so I ended up at Business School at Northwestern where I majored in Healthcare Administration. That was too many years ago; now almost all of the B-School students have significant work experience before getting in. I'm very happy I made the switch from engineering to business. So our paths may be similar even if I'm closer in age to your parents than to you.

Both my daughter and son-in-law are architects (undergrad and grad from University of Illinois). I could not believe how many nights and weekends they spent in studio and neither had a spare minute for years. There is no way they could have coached football. My daughter wants to start running but her current job makes it tough. This is a busy week for her but she started in South Carolina, then flew to Delaware on Tuesday, back home to Chicago for 10 hours last night, and is off to Denver this morning. She loves it but just wishes she could find time to run. At least they are annual passholders at Disney!

A little late to the party, but one more story...I originally went to Purdue to study biomedical engineering. After my sophomore year I decided that was not for me and transferred to a small Christian college in Chicago and majored in Economics which I actually enjoyed. But getting a good job with only a B.A in Econ can be tough so I ended up at Business School at Northwestern where I majored in Healthcare Administration. That was too many years ago; now almost all of the B-School students have significant work experience before getting in. I'm very happy I made the switch from engineering to business. So our paths may be similar even if I'm closer in age to your parents than to you.

Both my daughter and son-in-law are architects (undergrad and grad from University of Illinois). I could not believe how many nights and weekends they spent in studio and neither had a spare minute for years. There is no way they could have coached football. My daughter wants to start running but her current job makes it tough. This is a busy week for her but she started in South Carolina, then flew to Delaware on Tuesday, back home to Chicago for 10 hours last night, and is off to Denver this morning. She loves it but just wishes she could find time to run. At least they are annual passholders at Disney!
Thanks for sharing your story!

While I enjoyed architecture and engineering classes I think I made the right choice for myself so I can continue doing things outside of school that I love.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter