The Year of Disney - A 2018 PTR. Updated 10/12x4!

I doubt it will be the same dish this time but I think I might be a little adventurous and try the Bhaktapur Duck. Or maybe I’ll play it safe and get the burger.
You are the queen of Disney chicken tenders, and you're going to eat Bhaktapur Duck!?! :donald:

I had a great time at the DIS meet. It's always fun meeting DIS board peeps in "real life".

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you as well. I'm normally better at pool, but seemed to be off that night. Or I'll just blame it on you and @pkondz ganging up on me. :rotfl2:

I have almost $150 worth of Food and Wine items on my list but I doubt I'll get through all of them!
I wouldn't be surprised...it adds up quickly at F&W. Good thing for me I'm moving there soon. Plan on going back and catching some of the ones I missed.

Thanks! I have one friend who makes the bags and a different friend who makes a lot of my shirts.
Maybe it's a guy thing...I'm glad you like the shirts and bags, but it just isn't my bag!

Thanks! I'm in a slump right now, haven't been on my treadmill in a few weeks. I really need to get back into it since I have a race coming up on 11/11!
Yeah, me too (well working out). With working two jobs and now preparing for a new one, not been going to the gym much. The good thing is the new job has a gym in the building which is going to help a lot.

Yep, Disney definitely knows how to compensate for cancelling something!
If only they'd compensated me for their horrible MDE system that prevented me from getting any decent FPs this last trip. Happy for you and what resulted for you!!!

You don't have to do anything other than scan your band at the entrance on four different days in order to get the cutting board. You only have to go to the festival center on the 4th day to pick up your board. I'm just hoping they don't run out of them by the time we get there.
Yep, exactly!

I'm really looking forward to LTT. It works well for me since the food is on the simpler side.
I've had an ADR for it a couple times now, but due to circumstances have cancelled it. Might have to remedy that soon.

I'm not thinking he will be popular. I think I would end up falling asleep if I went to see him. :rotfl:
I happen to like Kenny G, which is a bit ironic because I'm not usually a fan of instrumental music. Some of those notes he holds (seems like) forever just amazes me.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
sometimes formatting text on here is a royal pain.

It kept wanting to add an extra end quote tag and the quote at the top wasn't working. I literally cut & pasted the exact same thing and then removed the original and if finally worked. I love computers, but sometimes I don't love websites.

Last edited:

Great AK day! I have never eaten at Yak and Yeti. There are just so many other options I go to before that one...

Aaaaannnnddd.... all caught up.

Just a few brief comments (I really don't do PTRs)

1. Sorry for your loss.
2. You told me about the Pluto room getting flooded... Sorry about that too. Hopefully you'll get it all back together again soon.
Which leads me to... why do you collect Pluto items? Just curious why Pluto as opposed to anything else. Because of your love of dogs, I presume?

I also visited my favorite Teddy Bear store and bought the following Steiff bear. Her name is Winnipeg and she is the bear that Winnie the Pooh was named after.

This is a story I am very familiar with, as you can imagine. :)

Also this weekend, I had a DIS meet in Atlanta! I got to meet up with @pkondz and @docsoliday1 at a restaurant near my house. We played a bit of pool which I'm horrible at and had a great meal.

:wave:
And you are not terrible. If I recall, you did just as well (as poorly?) as the rest of us! :)

I was not in TR mode though and forgot to take a picture of my food.

Ha! I did!... but I forgot the next day. Ah well.

We did at least remember to take a picture of all of us together!

::yes::

You are the queen of Disney chicken tenders, and you're going to eat Bhaktapur Duck!?! :donald:

It's a pretty strong maybe right now. I do like duck but it has to be done correctly or it's chewy so I'm scared to order it at times. If you remember, texture is one of the reasons I'm picky. It will probably be a last minute decision that day.

Sounds like a great day at Animal Kingdom! It will be nice for your family to experience Pandora at night!

I enjoyed Pandora at night in August so I'm excited to share that with them.

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting you as well. I'm normally better at pool, but seemed to be off that night. Or I'll just blame it on you and @pkondz ganging up on me.

Well more @pkondz than me because if I remember I think I only sank a handful of balls.

I wouldn't be surprised...it adds up quickly at F&W. Good thing for me I'm moving there soon. Plan on going back and catching some of the ones I missed.

So jealous you will get to be right down the road from Disney! It's definitely in the future for me but not until retirement. Got a ways to go for that.

Maybe it's a guy thing...I'm glad you like the shirts and bags, but it just isn't my bag!

:rotfl:

Yeah, me too (well working out). With working two jobs and now preparing for a new one, not been going to the gym much. The good thing is the new job has a gym in the building which is going to help a lot.

We have a exercise room here too, not that it's helped me at all. Although I did use it quite a bit before I got a treadmill at home.

If only they'd compensated me for their horrible MDE system that prevented me from getting any decent FPs this last trip. Happy for you and what resulted for you!!!

I've had so many issues with MDE this trip! Luckily it was working fairly well when I did our FPs. I got everything I wanted but it took way longer than it should have.

I happen to like Kenny G, which is a bit ironic because I'm not usually a fan of instrumental music. Some of those notes he holds (seems like) forever just amazes me

I actually do like Kenny G, I'm just not sure if I could sit through an entire concert of his music. It's just too relaxing and puts me to sleep!

Great AK day! I have never eaten at Yak and Yeti. There are just so many other options I go to before that one...

I know your favorite is Tiffins and I do plan to try it someday. But John and Jocelyn picked all the restaurants for this trip and Tiffin's was a bit out of their price range. Jocelyn told John he could pick one expensive meal for the trip and that was Brown Derby.

1. Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, it was a tough summer.

Hi @pkondz, thanks for stopping in. I totally understand about PTRs not being that interesting so if you would rather just wait for the TR that's fine with me. I write them mostly so I can organize my thoughts and plans for my trips. I also like going back afterwards and reading to see how different things really turned out because they usually do at Disney!

2. You told me about the Pluto room getting flooded... Sorry about that too. Hopefully you'll get it all back together again soon.
Which leads me to... why do you collect Pluto items? Just curious why Pluto as opposed to anything else. Because of your love of dogs, I presume?

I honestly couldn't tell you when my love for Pluto started, it actually pre-dates my memory. All I know is that I've always had a love for him and some of the stuffies in my collection came from my childhood. The collection really started to take off though when Ebay came around in the 90s. I've got a long way to go to get the room back together but when I do I'll be sure to post pictures somewhere on the DIS.

This is a story I am very familiar with, as you can imagine.

I bet! I had never heard the story of Winnipeg the bear until I purchased the Steiff. I just fell in love with her because black and tan bears are my favorite. It was just a coincidence that she had a connection to Disney.

And you are not terrible. If I recall, you did just as well (as poorly?) as the rest of us!

I really don't remember sinking very many balls but then I was paying way more attention to the good company and conversation than to how I was doing at pool.

Last edited:

Hi @pkondz, thanks for stopping in. I totally understand about PTRs not being that interesting so if you would rather just wait for the TR that's fine with me. I write them mostly so I can organize my thoughts and plans for my trips. I also like going back afterwards and reading to see how different things really turned out because they usually do at Disney!

I get that. :)
And I have signed on the TR... will get to it fairly soon. I have only about 2-3 in front of you now. (It was 15-16 yesterday.)

I honestly couldn't tell you when my love for Pluto started, it actually pre-dates my memory. All I know is that I've always had a love for him and some of the stuffies in my collection came from my childhood. The collection really started to take off though when Ebay came around in the 90s. I've got a long way to go to get the room back together but when I do I'll be sure to post pictures somewhere on the DIS.

Legit reason. :goodvibes

I bet! I had never heard the story of Winnipeg the bear until I purchased the Steiff. I just fell in love with her because black and tan bears are my favorite. It was just a coincidence that she had a connection to Disney.

My very first toy that I can recall was a Steiff bear. It made a sound when you turned it over. It was a gift from my aunt and uncle who live(d) in Germany.

I really don't remember sinking very many balls but then I was paying way more attention to the good company and conversation than to how I was doing at pool.

:laughing:
I don't know how many times I said "Who's turn is it?"
I too was focusing more on the conversation and company than the game. But it was a very fun diversion and a nice change from constant driving!

Day 7, Wednesday, October 24th

Only 8 more days to go before the trip!

Which means I realized I still have 5 more posts and only 6 days to get them all in since I never have time to post on the weekends. Because of that I will be posting fast and furious for the next few days. So hang on for the ride and if you don't have time to comment, no big deal, I know PTRs aren't really the most exciting reads.

On Wednesday, we have another free morning. I know Mom and I will be up though because Jim is leaving this day. His flight is at 9:40 am so that means he will need to catch the DME at 6:40 am. Maybe Mom and I will be able to sleep a bit longer but I doubt it. We will probably end up going to either Epcot or Hollywood Studios for a bit of shopping.

Whenever John and Jocelyn get up and moving, they will meet us at the Boardwalk for lunch at Big River Grille.

BRG doesn’t take reservations but I don’t think it gets overly crowded for lunch. It will be nice for once to not have to worry about getting to the restaurant by a specific time.

After lunch we will head to Hollywood Studios for the afternoon. I have three FPs booked but the first one is pretty much a throw away so that I can try to get more after the first three. It’s for the Frozen Sing-A-Long from 1:00 – 1:30. I doubt we will make it there in time to use it.

The second one is the important one of the day, Slinky Dog Dash from 2:45 – 3:45 pm.

The third one is for Rockin Roller Coaster from 4:00 – 5:00 pm. Jocelyn specifically asked for this one again as she loves the ride. Not sure if I will be sucking it up again or if I will take a pass this time around. Once we use the third one I might try to get Toy Story Mania or maybe Soarin’ over at Epcot.

After RnRC, we will head out and over to Epcot for our second round of Food and Wine. On the way over though, I would love to stop at the Boardwalk for a drink at Abracadabar. I’ve been craving another one of the Seashore Sweets.

At Epcot we will eat at the booths until we are full that night. I have a feeling that John and Jocelyn will definitely want to go see Billy Ocean. That’s fine with Mom and I, it will give us more time to do what we do best, shop!

Up Next: Day 8, Thursday, October 25th

SOunds like a pretty great day! I always love hearing about you and your mom love shopping together- sounds like me and my mom!

It's a pretty strong maybe right now. I do like duck but it has to be done correctly or it's chewy so I'm scared to order it at times. If you remember, texture is one of the reasons I'm picky. It will probably be a last minute decision that day.
I was just teasing, but I totally get it. Hope it turns out to be super tasty if you end up ordering it!

I like the idea of a resort lunch with no reservation. Too many reservations can make me feel insane trying to be everywhere minute by minute. This sounds like a perfect day (with lots of time for shopping!)

My very first toy that I can recall was a Steiff bear. It made a sound when you turned it over. It was a gift from my aunt and uncle who live(d) in Germany.

Those are called Growlers and I have a few that do that. Do you still have the bear? It would probably be worth a bit of money now if you did.

SOunds like a pretty great day! I always love hearing about you and your mom love shopping together- sounds like me and my mom!

Shopping is definitely what we do best!

I was just teasing, but I totally get it. Hope it turns out to be super tasty if you end up ordering it!

I like the idea of a resort lunch with no reservation. Too many reservations can make me feel insane trying to be everywhere minute by minute. This sounds like a perfect day (with lots of time for shopping!)

I know you were teasing! I do wish though that I wasn't so picky, it's annoying at times. :rotfl:

I feel the same way with all of the reservations you have to manage. It will be nice to not have to watch the clock on that day.

Day 8, Thursday October 25th

I've managed to finish writing this PTR so I'm just going to post the rest of the days now. I'm not sure how busy I will be at work next week and I'm ready to have this one finished! I have four more posts to go and then it will be done!

On Thursday, we will be venturing off Disney property for most of the day and heading to Sea World.

Sea World doesn’t open till 10 am so that will make for a relaxing morning. Around 9 am, we plan to catch an Uber to the park. It’s only 10 miles from our resort so it shouldn’t be a bad trip at all.

It’s been three years since I’ve been to Sea World and I have no idea when Mom, John or Jocelyn was there last. They may have never been to the Florida park but we did grow up going to the long gone Ohio park.

I’m still working on a schedule but we definitely plan to catch at least three of the four shows. One Ocean (Shamu show),

Dolphin Days

Clyde and Seamore’s Sea Lion High and Pets Ahoy.

I don’t have pictures from the Seal Lion show because it was closed in 2015 when Jim and I were there so that is my number one priority for the trip. We talked and decided that the Pets Ahoy show may be sacrificed if we run out of time.

Jocelyn really wants to catch all three coasters. I love the Manta and will ride that one with her. I hated the Kraken though and don’t plan to ride it again. It was really rough and I came off queasy and with a headache. The third one, Mako, is new so I’ll have to evaluate it before riding. It sounds like one that will trigger my motion sickness so we shall see. I’ve been stalking wait times on the Sea World App and so far they haven’t seemed bad at all. Hopefully that is the case on the day we are there.

We also plan to catch the other rides in the park. Empire of the Penguin is a cool ride and is a must do for us.

Wild Arctic and Turtle Trek are definitely on the schedule too. Plus lots and lots of animal watching!

The only two rides we plan on skipping are Journey to Atlantis and Infinity Falls which are both water rides. If you thought I hated water rides, you should talk to Jocelyn. I’ll at least ride Splash Mountain when it’s hot enough but she won’t even do that.

Lunch will probably be at whichever Counter Service we end up near when we get hungry. There is a nice sit down restaurant but we decided not to waste time doing that since the park is only open from 10 am – 6 pm.

We will probably close out the park and then grab another Uber to take us to Disney Springs for our 7:30 pm ADR at Homecomin’. This is a new one for all of us and we are excited to try it. Right now I’m leaning towards the fried chicken but the grouper and braised short ribs also sound good. I definitely want to get a side of the mac and cheese. I also might give the Moonshine Mash (Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup) a try since I’ve read some good reviews on it.

After dinner we will probably shop for a while. John also wants to stop in to Jock Lindsey’s for a drink. The Fountain of Youth (St. Augustine Florida Cane Vodka, Bols Blue Curaçao, White Cranberry Juice, and Sweet-and-Sour) is sounding very good to me right now.

Up Next: Day 9, Friday October 26th

Day 9, Friday October 26th

This is going to be yet another sleep in day for us. I do think Mom and I will sleep in a bit since we will probably have a pretty late night at Disney Springs. But if we are up and moving, I’m sure we will end up somewhere, probably MK. Or if we decided to just relax a bit, we may walk around the resort to check out all the areas. I’ve seen all of All Star Music but this is Mom’s first time staying there.

Up first on the agenda for the day is a 12:30 pm ADR at Whispering Canyon Café. It’s been five years since I’ve eaten there and am looking forward to going back because it was delicious.

After lunch, we will take the boat over to MK for the afternoon. Our one and only FP for the day is for later that night at Epcot but this excursion into MK is mainly for shows and maybe a few rides that don’t require FP. Two must dos for my brother are Hall of Presidents and Carousel of Progress.

For me it’s the Tiki Room and Country Bears

This is another MNSSHP night and since we won't be attending, we will have to exit the park by 6 pm. We will then hop on the monorail over to Epcot for one more spin around Food and Wine.

I’m not sure how long we will last since I expect it to be very crowded being a Friday night. If anything we will use our one and only FP for Frozen Ever After from 7:10 -8:10 pm.

And also visit the Festival Center so Mom and I can pick up our cutting boards. If it’s too crowded around World Showcase I have a feeling we may just end up having dinner at Sunshine Seasons. We all like that Counter Service a lot.

Up Next: Day 10, Saturday October 27th The End

Day 10, Saturday October 27th The End

Saturday will be our final day at WDW but our flights aren’t till that evening so we do have some time to enjoy the parks. I picked AK for this day because we all love that park plus its right around the corner from our resort. The day will be about finishing up anything we may have missed the first day. There is morning EMH starting at 8 am but I don’t plan on rushing us to get there for that because we will have to pack and check our bags before heading to the park. We just need to make it there by our first FP which is for Na’vi River Journey from 9:25 am to 10:25 am.

Our other two FP of the day are for the Safari from 10:30 – 11:30 am.

And Dinosaur from 11:55 – 12:55 pm

Somewhere in between those FPs we plan to eat lunch, probably at Satu’li Canteen. I think I’ll be fine here with one of the bowls minus any of the sauces. I know I will be getting the Chocolate Cake again. I stopped here just for dessert in August and really liked the cake.

We will need to head out after lunch and dinosaur to catch the DME around 2:50 pm. My flight is about 25 minutes later than Mom, John and Jocelyn’s so I’ll probably just make sure I’m on the same bus as them. No reason for me to sit around by myself for that little period of time.

And after that, it will just be the boring travel stuff to get us back home.

Up Next: Outfits for the Trip

Outfits for the Trip

And here it is folks, the post you have all been dying for, my outfits for the trip! I went with more of a Halloween theme this time so I don’t really have a specific idea of which day I will wear each outfit. I also decided to bring only three of my bags. I want to get some use out of my Mickey Vampire bag since I only use it on Halloween trips plus I’m pretty much in love with my new Pluto/Stitch bag. Stitch is such a naughty boy, photobombing on Pluto’s bag! And the third bag is coming mainly for Sea World. This outfit will definitely be worn on our Sea World Day.

And this outfit will be wore on our first Epcot day so we can get nice pictures with fab five characters.

And here’s the rest of the outfits in no particular order. I’ll probably decide as I go which one for which day.

And I will also be using my Mickey Vampire with this shirt for the Halloween Party. The shirts came last night and are very nice and all the sizes look good!

I also realized after I took all of the pictures that I’m using my Pluto/Stitch bag with five outfits so I might change that up so I’m using Vampire Mickey more. I’ll probably end up doing Vampire Mickey with the Pluto and pumpkins shirt.

And that folks is really it for this PTR! I definitely have some stuff up my sleeves for 2019 but I’ll most likely start a new PTR for that since this one is clearly labeled 2018. I’ll be back on the flip side of the trip to give you a link to the new TR. See you then!

They may have never been to the Florida park but we did grow up going to the long gone Ohio park.
I didn't even know there WAS an Ohio park!! I've only been to Sea World in Florida once, and it was all the way back in 2004.

I love the Manta and will ride that one with her. I hated the Kraken though and don’t plan to ride it again. It was really rough and I came off queasy and with a headache. The third one, Mako, is new so I’ll have to evaluate it before riding.
When we went, the only one there was the Kraken, I think. I do love some rollercoasters, so I should probably plan to get back to Sea World someday!

I also might give the Moonshine Mash (Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup) a try since I’ve read some good reviews on it.
Oooh, yummy!!! Everything I've read about this restaurant and I totally missed this?! Sounds delish!

After dinner we will probably shop for a while. John also wants to stop in to Jock Lindsey’s for a drink. The Fountain of Youth (St. Augustine Florida Cane Vodka, Bols Blue Curaçao, White Cranberry Juice, and Sweet-and-Sour) is sounding very good to me right now.
Kindergarten teachers should not be dreaming about vodka and blue drinks at 9:40 a.m. should they? ....I blame you!

Your last day sounds like a perfect way to end a trip.

And here it is folks, the post you have all been dying for, my outfits for the trip!
Yay! I love your trip outfit posts :)

D~ did such an incredible job (duh, she always does) on the photobomb bag!! I'm glad you'll get to use it a bunch on this trip--you should be flooded with admirers!!!!

Looking forward to hearing about your trip to Sea World! I haven't been since I was a kid but really want to go back one day.

Friday sounds like it will be a good day and not too stressful!

Spending the last day at AK sounds great!

I love all your Halloween shirts and the Pluto/Stitch bag!

Have a fantastic trip!!

We will probably close out the park and then grab another Uber to take us to Disney Springs for our 7:30 pm ADR at Homecomin’. This is a new one for all of us and we are excited to try it. Right now I’m leaning towards the fried chicken but the grouper and braised short ribs also sound good. I definitely want to get a side of the mac and cheese. I also might give the Moonshine Mash (Watermelon-infused moonshine, fresh watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup) a try since I’ve read some good reviews on it.
THe moonshine mash is so good.

And also visit the Festival Center so Mom and I can pick up our cutting boards. I
We figured out how to go next weekend to get our cutting boards.
Somewhere in between those FPs we plan to eat lunch, probably at Satu’li Canteen. I think I’ll be fine here with one of the bowls minus any of the sauces. I know I will be getting the Chocolate Cake again. I stopped here just for dessert in August and really liked the cake.
I have to try that, it looks good

Those are called Growlers and I have a few that do that. Do you still have the bear? It would probably be worth a bit of money now if you did.

The bear...… I held on to it for dear life for years and years. Then... one day, an animal (dog? hamster?) got at it and chewed up a foot a bit.... still worth money but. :( And then... it's disappeared. I don't know if it's in a box somewhere after a couple moves or... :confused3 Maybe Ruby tossed it. Just don't know.

Sad about that.

And here it is folks, the post you have all been dying for, my outfits for the trip!

Yay! I've been on pins and needles waiting!

:rolleyes1

I also decided to bring only three of my bags.

Of course. Ya gotta have at least three bags, ya know.

ahem

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter