The Widow, the Spinster, and the Missus take on Disneyland - A little OT Interlude in Napa 4/14

Remember when we cooked our own dinners at Shabu Shabu in August. Well we followed that same tradition for my first night in Denver, although we didn’t do any actual cooking. We went to the Melting Pot near her house. We started off with the cheese fondue, I think we got a pretty standard one with swiss cheese and wine. They gave us bread and vegetables to dip in the cheese.
I love fondue but I never get to go since I'm usually solo so I was thrilled Alison and I went! It was so yummy but so much food!
Following that meeting, I had a break several hours long, so Jill picked me up at the theater and we headed to D-Bar Desserts.
D Bar Desserts is awesome. It's owned by Keegan Gerhard and his wife who are both pastry chefs. Keegan was a judge on Food Network back in the early days on a show called Cake Wars. The show was filmed at a soundstage at one of my company's locations here in Denver! He and his wife's wedding was broadcast on Food Network! The savory food is amazing but the desserts are out of this world!
While I was there, I met up with some old friends. Jill and I did meet up for dinner Friday night and we went to a Dim Sum style restaurant, but almost three months later, I don't remember what any of the stuff we ate was, so I'm skipping that meal.
We went to an Asian fusion place called ChoLon. They are famous for their french onion soup dumplings. We split an order of the soup dumplings, the waygu beef skewers, Olathe Sweet Corn dumplings, scallion pancakes, and some sort of peach dessert. It was super yummy and not far from Alison's hotel downtown.

Snooze is a great breakfast and lunch place that started in Denver and has now expanded to southern California and Texas and beyond I believe. We were supposed to go to a great little French bakery that I found but we rolled up and it was closed due to the Labor Day holiday so we did a pivot. The Snooze location where I normally go had an almost hour wait but I remembered another location that is in the middle of an office park area and we were able to walk right in which is unheard of!

It was a really fun weekend and the band concert was amazing! I was so glad I finally got to see Alison play since I always miss her concerts in LA.

Jill in CO

Now after Fran passed away, I kind of got out of control on booking travel.
And that's perfectly okay.
However, I didn’t do much of anything to report on during that trip other than hang out with Jill. We went to dinner a few times and saw the new Indiana Jones movie on the day it was released. But I was just too tired from the past few years, so I caught up on a lot of TV shows, and just chilled out, well she had to work from home during the day while I was there, so I guess I just chilled out. :laughing:
I'm so glad you got a chance to rest and recharge. I'm sure you needed the decompression time. :hug:
For the future, I have out of town trips planned about once a month for the next year
:eek:
Holy smokes!
I'm happy if I can get away once a year!
In 2021 they held a live conference and most of the people who attended came home with covid.
:sad2:

And since it was over Labor Day I stayed for a bonus day since she didn’t have to work!
:thumbsup2
Remember when we cooked our own dinners at Shabu Shabu in August.
::yes::
We went to the Melting Pot near her house. We started off with the cheese fondue,
I've had fondue several times (mostly when I make it), but don't think I've ever had a cheese one.
Jill went with the standard dinner salad.
Love a salad with hard boiled eggs in it.
we didn’t want to be “bring a bucket” full.
It's wafer thin!
We chose the S’mores which was chocolate and marshmallow with graham cracker crumbs sprinkled on top.
Hmmm... How was that? I'd think the crumbs would be mixed in, in no time. Did that matter? Or am I not even right about that?
The long tray is what normally comes with the fondue, but we purchased the add on with macarons, cheesecake, and creme puffs.
:faint:
I thought you didn't want to be bring a bucket full!!!
Jill got the French Farmhouse Breakfast Casserole with scrambled eggs soaked croissant & brioche, country ham, gruyere, caramelized onions, whole grain mustard mornay, side salad. She was very pleased with it!
OMG. I want that.
I got a lobster roll
I'm gonna stop you there. You had me at lobster roll.
Jill got the 'Baked In Alaska!' whole wheat vanilla cake, meyer lemon sorbet, vanilla huckleberry swirl mousse, huckleberry sauce torched Italian meringue, meyer lemon tuile.
Wow! I mean... no words! Wow!
I got the Molten Cake Thingy Everyone Has… But Ours Is Gluten Free!
:laughing: Fun name. And not at all surprised you got it.
See? Ooey gooey inside.
I see! I see!
Here’s everyone in the saxophone section for our band.
Lots! How many were in the band altogether?
Jill snapped this picture of me from the audience.
I like that shot. :) Thanks, Jill.
The Governor of Colorado proclaimed the week of the conference Rocky Mountain Dreams week in honor of the conference.
Very nice. :)
I got two kinds of Eggs Benedict with their special hash browns. I think one was traditional and the second one was Italian style with Prosciutto instead of ham.
mmmm... bennies.... Yes please.
Jill got the breakfast sandwich with scrambled egg and sausage on a pretzel bun.
Oh!!
We do buns for breakfast on occasion and I always make sure to get a pretzel bun. I'll have to do this!
First we watched Lawrence of Arabia, and then Agatha Christie’s Death on the Nile, the newer version
Seen both. I felt the Death on the Nile was okay, but LofW was excellent.
Keegan was a judge on Food Network back in the early days on a show called Cake Wars.
I don't remember Keegan, but I do seem to recall a show called Cake Wars.
We went to an Asian fusion place called ChoLon. They are famous for their french onion soup dumplings. We split an order of the soup dumplings, the waygu beef skewers, Olathe Sweet Corn dumplings, scallion pancakes, and some sort of peach dessert.
That all sounds amazing!

I love fondue but I never get to go since I'm usually solo so I was thrilled Alison and I went! It was so yummy but so much food!
The only time I get to do fondue is when I make it at home, so I was super excited to go to the Melting Pot. Fran and I used to go there a lot before she got really sick.
D Bar Desserts is awesome. It's owned by Keegan Gerhard and his wife who are both pastry chefs. Keegan was a judge on Food Network back in the early days on a show called Cake Wars. The show was filmed at a soundstage at one of my company's locations here in Denver! He and his wife's wedding was broadcast on Food Network! The savory food is amazing but the desserts are out of this world!
I couldn't remember his name! Thanks for posting.
We went to an Asian fusion place called ChoLon. They are famous for their french onion soup dumplings. We split an order of the soup dumplings
OK, fine. I'll post the pictures! :laughing:

x23PBA0901DVR01.jpg

the waygu beef skewers

x23PBA0901DVR02.jpg

Olathe Sweet Corn dumplings

Were those these?

x23PBA0901DVR03.jpg

Or these?

x23PBA0901DVR04.jpg

Or these?

x23PBA0901DVR05.jpg

scallion pancakes

These were not the strangest serving of scallion pancakes I've had, but close.

x23PBA0901DVR06.jpg

some sort of peach dessert

x23PBA0901DVR07.jpg

We also started with Pappadum

x23PBA0901DVR08.jpg

And I had a sake while Jill sipped a Grüner Veltliner

x23PBA0901DVR09.jpg

Snooze is a great breakfast and lunch place that started in Denver and has now expanded to southern California and Texas and beyond I believe. We were supposed to go to a great little French bakery that I found but we rolled up and it was closed due to the Labor Day holiday so we did a pivot. The Snooze location where I normally go had an almost hour wait but I remembered another location that is in the middle of an office park area and we were able to walk right in which is unheard of!

It was a fine choice for a pivot! But you still owe me a trip to the French Bakery! :lmao:

It was a really fun weekend and the band concert was amazing! I was so glad I finally got to see Alison play since I always miss her concerts in LA.

I'm glad you got to see us perform. I hope sometime soon you can come to one of our shows in LA! :flower3:

And that's perfectly okay.
:hug:
I'm so glad you got a chance to rest and recharge. I'm sure you needed the decompression time. :hug:
Well actually while I was there, Jill had her ducts cleaned for the first time since she moved in there 10 years ago. We both ended up getting really sick from all the debris that it stirred up! :laughing:
Holy smokes!
I'm happy if I can get away once a year!
Well, your job is a little bit more "present" than mine.
I've had fondue several times (mostly when I make it), but don't think I've ever had a cheese one.
Whenever I make it, it's a cheese one. However shortly you will see above and beyond fondue!
Love a salad with hard boiled eggs in it.
I do that occasionally.
It's wafer thin!
:lmao:
Hmmm... How was that? I'd think the crumbs would be mixed in, in no time. Did that matter? Or am I not even right about that?
Yes, they were mixed in right away, but they gave it a good flavor.
I thought you didn't want to be bring a bucket full!!!
We ended up taking home all the extras and I ate my macarons while I was at the hotel, I let Jill have the cheesecake cause she likes it better than I do.
OMG. I want that.
It does sound good when I read the description.
I'm gonna stop you there. You had me at lobster roll.
Wow! I mean... no words! Wow!
It was pretty spectacular.
:laughing: Fun name. And not at all surprised you got it.
I see! I see!
Nope. As you can tell, I'm pretty partial to those.
Lots! How many were in the band altogether?
There were two bands. Each with at least 150 people. The last time there was one band was 2014 and it was like 193 people. They can't find stages big enough to have one band, so we've had two bands since 2015.
mmmm... bennies.... Yes please.
:thumbsup2
Oh!!
We do buns for breakfast on occasion and I always make sure to get a pretzel bun. I'll have to do this!
I'm not a huge Pretzel bun person, but I know for those who are, they really like them.
Seen both. I felt the Death on the Nile was okay, but LofW was excellent.
Yeah, we didn't end up finishing Death on the Nile. We would have been better off to watch The Martian.
I don't remember Keegan, but I do seem to recall a show called Cake Wars.
I saw him at a DCA F&W breakfast thing. Something where he demonstrated pastries.
That all sounds amazing!

She guilted me into posting the pictures.

A week after returning from the band conference in Denver, I was on another trip, this time to Kamloops, BC. Now you might be thinking, “Alison, how are you doing all these trips on such a limited budget?” Well I lucked out. The only things I’ve had to pay for is food and beverages. With the exception of three nights in the hotel in Denver and two nights in the hotel in Palm Springs (which was only $99 per night). All my other trips I’ve been able to stay with friends and not have to shell out any dough.

The only trip where I really spent money was the trip to Egypt which really turned out to be a bargain for what we paid. By the time I have to pay for another trip (other than meals on my planned trips), it will be the WBTA on the Dream. Hopefully by that time, I’ll have paid off all the other debt that I’ve accumulated. Have I said that dying is very expensive?

Anyways back to Kamloops! I flew from LAX to Vancouver, and then took an Air Canada flight to Kamloops. I learned a valuable lesson on this trip. OK, I learned a $6 lesson. Back in June I took a trip to Jill’s with only a carry on. This was a test run for this trip. You see traveling Business Class on miles on American I get two free checked bags. However traveling on Air Canada on one of the cheaper tickets, you had to pay like $50 for a bag. I wanted to test the viability of traveling with just a carry on. And in June it worked just fine.

So here I am at the airport in Canada. Once you arrive from the US you have to go through customs. When you leave customs, you’re back out in the regular airport. So when you go to your gate, you have to go through security. They don’t have TSA PreCheck in Canada. I’m not sure if they have the 3-1-1 thing about liquids in your bags. Well I get flagged to the side and a guy starts going through my bag.

I figured it was the little bottles of vodka that I had packed. You know, just in case….but nope. I completely forgot that a 12oz bottle of conditioner can’t pass through normal security. TSA PreCheck, sure. But we’re not in Kansas anymore.

He asked me if I wanted to check the bag. Pay $50 for a $6 bottle of conditioner to be checked? Heck no! I told him he could toss it. Just one thing I’ll need to pick up when I get to her house. The rest of the boarding process went smoothly and I was on my way to Kamloops pretty quickly.

Allyson picked me up at their little airport. They get maybe half a dozen flights per day, pretty much all from Vancouver. You board via a staircase and walk right onto the tarmac and into the terminal. She was waiting at the gate, there’s only one there.

We stopped for a glass of wine. Somewhere in there, we made a stop at the drug store to pick me up a new bottle of conditioner, and I think we made one more stop.

If you remember from the previous updates, she has a young daughter. This time she was not awed by princesses, and I finally got to see her behaving in her natural environment. She’s a good kid, she’s just a lot. She has imaginary friends that she talks to, didn’t we all? And she was really happy when Allyson let her watch YouTube on the TV in the basement more than normal.

Allyson fixed us a quick dinner which she calls “Chicken Stir Fry”. Basically she took whatever veggies were in the fridge, chopped them up, added chicken, some sauces from the fridge, and crispy noodles. I’d never had crispy noodles stir fried into the dish and it was quite good!

x23V0913KAM01.jpg

And then she fixed us up this strawberry shortcake as well!

x23V0913KAM02.jpg

It had taken me most of the day to get there, so by the time we finished dinner and dessert, it was basically time to hit the sack. The next day she had a big day planned for me!

We got on the road around 10AM. The drive was about an hour plus before we reached our first stop. It was actually a bakery where we picked up some pastries both sweet and savory. Then we hit a Starbucks for some caffeine and we ate some of our pastries before we hit this distillery for a tasting.

x23V0914KAM01.jpg

x23V0914KAM02.jpg

This is only a sampling of what we tasted. But it was mostly small pours, so we really didn’t get buzzed. I believe that this was a gin.

x23V0914KAM03.jpg

I tried more Vodkas and Allyson tried Whiskeys. We both tried these berry liqueurs.

x23V0914KAM04.jpg

We bought a few bottles (most Allyson took home for her husband) and then headed on to a winery to stock up on some wines for the evening. On the way we saw this unusual sign.

x23V0914KAM05.jpg

And shortly thereafter we saw this guy/gal crossing the road!

x23V0914KAM06.jpg

Here’s Allyson showing off the vines while we are tasting.

x23V0914KAM07.jpg

Bottles selected, we headed to our destination for the evening. Sparkling Hill Resort. Here is the lobby.

x23V0914KAM08.jpg

Our room was ready and we headed up to drop off our belongings.

x23V0914KAM09.jpg

We had an awesome view!

x23V0914KAM10.jpg

There was a German restaurant on the property. Allyson said that it was new since the last time she visited and had not been there before. I love German food, so we agreed it would be a good choice for late lunch.

x23V0914KAM11.jpg

She made her own combo with a Brat, a Pretzel and some Spaetzle. All of them were very good, she let me have some.

x23V0914KAM12.jpg

My entree came with a side salad. It had a very unique dressing and some interesting greens, but we both agreed it was good and shared it.

x23V0914KAM13.jpg

I had looked up the menu online before our visit and as soon as I saw these meatballs on the menu, I knew what I was getting. Before she passed, Fran and I used to watch shows about food on TV, and on one of those travel channel shows, we saw German meatballs just like these. I had looked up recipes and planned to make them for her. But I never got the chance. I had to try them here! They were served with mashed potatoes and gravy, and were fantastic!

x23V0914KAM14.jpg

Now that we were full, it was time to head down and take advantage of the pools, showers, saunas, and steam rooms. There are several showers (think rainforest room on the Dream and Fantasy), around four types of saunas and steam rooms and I think even two cool rooms. There were also four different pools of different temperatures and they are all included in the price of this adults only resort.

x23V0914KAM15.jpg

x23V0914KAM16.jpg

Here we are in the outside infinity pool.

x23V0914KAM17.jpg

Allyson caught this shot of me enjoying the view.

x23V0914KAM18.jpg

We spent about three hours in the pools and then checking out all the different saunas and steam rooms before we went up to the room to watch the sunset and enjoy some of the wine we had purchased earlier.

x23V0914KAM19.jpg

She prepared this Charcuterie plate to go with the wine. And we followed it up with Macarons, Chocolate Mousse, and some of the cookies from the bakery this morning.

x23V0914KAM20.jpg

We contemplated going back down to the pools etc, but after 9PM the spa area goes “European Style” and we really didn’t want to see that! So we went to sleep.

Breakfast is also included in the price of the room. They encourage you to wear your robe to breakfast, but we felt more comfortable getting dressed in our street clothes. They started off with a plate of fruit and some muffins for the table.

x23V0915KAM01.jpg

I ordered pancakes with berry syrup. The funny thing is that they were served with the bacon layered inside the stack of pancakes. I asked if I could have it on the side. When the plate was served to me, the bacon was layered in there. I started to correct the server, when another server came hurriedly up to the table with my correct order. Turns out the first one who brought the wrong plate was the manager. “Look what happens when I try to be helpful.” she said. Managers everywhere know that they should let their employees do their jobs because it never helps, when they “help.”

x23V0915KAM02.jpg

I think Allyson got the standard breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and toast. She got her eggs poached which was a new concept for me. I might consider that in the future!

x23V0915KAM03.jpg

Since we were only staying the one night, we packed up our things and checked them with Bell Services. On our way back to the room, we had inquired as to how to handle spa services/checkout. They told us to hang on to our robes and sandals until we were done with the spa, so we had bags with our street clothes and we headed off the spa again. I checked in for my treatment, the Himalayan Detox 60 MINUTES | $175

Replenish and nourish the skin with 84 naturally occurring minerals. The treatment begins with a Himalayan Salt body exfoliation, followed by body butter application then a 20 minute back, neck and shoulder massage with Himalayan Stones. The stones are warmed and applied during the massage, giving clients additional heat to allow the organic trace minerals in the stones to penetrate into the skin and body. The stones help balance positive ions with negative ions which can help reduce inflammation.

x23V0915KAM04.jpg

It was super heavenly!

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

When I got out, Allyson had texted me that she decided to go back into the pools. The saunas and steam rooms didn’t open until 2PM because they do a thorough cleaning of them (or that’s what we told ourselves). So we went back to the Inifinity Pool for a while. I think it was probably around 12:30 when we decided that we better head to the showers and back to Kamloops.

We had a fairly low key rest of the day Allyson made tacos for dinner. The next couple days were pretty chill. I know that A & D had some stuff they needed to accomplish, and one day I just sat on the couch watching Elemental while doing puzzles on my tablet. One of the days she made us Mickey waffles for breakfast.

x23V0916KAM01.jpg

Two months later the days have all kind of blended into one another. I know we had to procure some beverages for the evening. I don’t live near any wineries, so all my wines are usually delivered by UPS for the wineries whose clubs to which I subscribe. The rest of the time, I just get it at the grocery store.

Not here. We went right to the source! Here’s a couple bottles we are tasting.

x23V0916KAM02.jpg

We ended up purchasing a half a case of wine if not more. In Kamloops you can borrow glasses from the winery and just sit out on their patio enjoying the wines you have just purchased.

x23V0916KAM03.jpg

I believe this winery trip was on the night she planned to make Fondue for dinner. Now she doesn’t take Fondue lightly. She has an entire “box” for fondue. Dorian brought it up from the basement. When I do fondue, I get out the pot, some forks and everyone gets a regular plate. But here, “We fancy!”

We started off with a regular cheese fondue, but notice the fancy plates for when we get to the main course, they have all the little places for your different sauces and everything! Since we had so much food, she invited over another friend to help out.

x23V0916KAM04.jpg

And then we went with the meats. There were two cooking pots, one with oil and one with broth. We had chicken, beef, pork, tortellini, potatoes and all the vegetables leftover from the cheese as well!

x23V0916KAM05.jpg

She had everything for the chocolate dessert, but everyone was just too full to even attempt it. We decided to save that for the next night.

On my last full day we decided to visit a nature sanctuary, which is walking distance from their house. It’s a place where animals go that can not be released back into the wild due to injuries or other difficulties that would make them vulnerable. We saw all kinds of native animals including owls, hawks, hoofstock (their term for bison, sheep and Mtn. goats), and this bear enjoying his (or her) soak.

x23V0917KAM01.jpg

At one point, we took a ride around the park on this train. It was a fun little way to break up all the walking.

x23V0917KAM02.jpg

x23V0917KAM03.jpg

And here’s one of the Bison (I think).

x23V0917KAM04.jpg

Following our visit to the BC Wildlife Park we just sort of hung out at their house while Dorian made us some Barbeque Ribs. We enjoyed a dinner of Ribs, baked potatoes and Broccoli.

x23V0917KAM05.jpg

And finally we got our dessert Fondue. In addition to the chocolate Fondue Allyson made this other Yogurt/Candy Bar based dip as well.

x23V0917KAM06.jpg

The next morning when I woke, Allyson had already left for work. She works very long days, and has a fairly long drive to work and back. Dorian dropped me at the airport, and the trip home was again uneventful. I stopped for some lunch at the airport in Vancouver and made it back home just in time for rush hour traffic.

OK, fine. I'll post the pictures! :laughing:
Yay! Everything looked really good.
Well actually while I was there, Jill had her ducts cleaned for the first time since she moved in there 10 years ago. We both ended up getting really sick from all the debris that it stirred up! :laughing:
That's too bad. But sometimes you just have to get all your ducts in a row.

:duck:
Well, your job is a little bit more "present" than mine.
Perhaps so. :)
There were two bands. Each with at least 150 people.
:eek: Holy smokes!
The last time there was one band was 2014 and it was like 193 people. They can't find stages big enough to have one band, so we've had two bands since 2015.
Really! Huh!!
I'm not a huge Pretzel bun person, but I know for those who are, they really like them.
We would have been better off to watch The Martian.
You can say that about a lot of movies. I really liked The Martian.
She guilted me into posting the pictures.
Good!

Back up to read...

Now you might be thinking, “Alison, how are you doing all these trips on such a limited budget?”
Nope. I never think that... of anyone, actually. It's certainly none of my business. If you can travel and you enjoy it, then good for you. That's all I care about.
All my other trips I’ve been able to stay with friends and not have to shell out any dough.
Nice. :)
it will be the WBTA on the Dream.
Sorry. This time it's my ignorance. What is WBTA?
Have I said that dying is very expensive?
You have not. But yes, I'm sure it is.
I flew from LAX to Vancouver, and then took an Air Canada flight to Kamloops. I learned a valuable lesson on this trip.
Not fly Air Canada?

:rolleyes1
However traveling on Air Canada on one of the cheaper tickets, you had to pay like $50 for a bag.
Yup. Ridiculous.
So here I am at the airport in Canada. Once you arrive from the US you have to go through customs. When you leave customs, you’re back out in the regular airport. So when you go to your gate, you have to go through security.
Highly annoying.
They don’t have TSA PreCheck in Canada.
Well, they do... but it's called Verified Traveller. I think if you have Global Entry, that applies too.
I’m not sure if they have the 3-1-1 thing about liquids in your bags.
I don't know what 3-1-1 is, but this is what you're allowed:
Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.) or less. These containers MUST be placed in one (1) clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than 1 litre (1 quart).
I completely forgot that a 12oz bottle of conditioner can’t pass through normal security. TSA PreCheck, sure. But we’re not in Kansas anymore.
Whoops!
I've seen that before.
He asked me if I wanted to check the bag. Pay $50 for a $6 bottle of conditioner to be checked? Heck no! I told him he could toss it. Just one thing I’ll need to pick up when I get to her house.
Yeah... no.
we hit this distillery for a tasting.
Interesting. Never seen a spirits distillery. Then again, I wouldn't be looking for one, so...
This is only a sampling of what we tasted. But it was mostly small pours, so we really didn’t get buzzed.
Uh, huh. That you recall. Maybe Allyson has a different story...
On the way we saw this unusual sign.
Apparently a necessary one, given...
And shortly thereafter we saw this guy/gal crossing the road!
...this! :laughing:
Sparkling Hill Resort. Here is the lobby.
Pretty
We had an awesome view!
Heh. And yet, the first thing I noticed was the tub. It took you mentioning the view for me to even look beyond the tub.
I love German food,
Of course! Who doesn't??
She made her own combo with a Brat, a Pretzel and some Spaetzle.
mmmm... yes please.
I had looked up the menu online before our visit and as soon as I saw these meatballs on the menu, I knew what I was getting.
So what was different about these meatballs? I've eaten at several German restaurants (including in Germany) and don't recall those.
Now that we were full, it was time to head down and take advantage of the pools, showers, saunas, and steam rooms.
Ahhhhh... :cloud9:
Here we are in the outside infinity pool.
You both look pretty happy. :)
Allyson caught this shot of me enjoying the view.
I really like this shot. You look very relaxed. :)
She prepared this Charcuterie plate to go with the wine.
Wow! Nice!
after 9PM the spa area goes “European Style” and we really didn’t want to see that!
:laughing:
I suppose it depends on the clientele!
They encourage you to wear your robe to breakfast, but we felt more comfortable getting dressed in our street clothes.
I'd feel the same way. Did you notice if the majority of guests had dressed or not?
The funny thing is that they were served with the bacon layered inside the stack of pancakes.
That's... different.
Turns out the first one who brought the wrong plate was the manager. “Look what happens when I try to be helpful.” she said. Managers everywhere know that they should let their employees do their jobs because it never helps, when they “help.”
She got her eggs poached which was a new concept for me. I might consider that in the future!
New concept... I presume you mean outside of a benedict. And I agree. I've never had poached eggs that weren't covered in some kind of hollandaise sauce.
The treatment begins with a Himalayan Salt body exfoliation, followed by body butter application then a 20 minute back, neck and shoulder massage with Himalayan Stones.
That sounds so relaxing. :)
It was super heavenly!
I bet!
one day I just sat on the couch watching Elemental while doing puzzles on my tablet
And that's okay too,. Nothing says a vacation can't have a day of relaxing in it. (Although you did pretty well at the spa.)
One of the days she made us Mickey waffles for breakfast.
:laughing: She did! Good for her!
In Kamloops you can borrow glasses from the winery and just sit out on their patio enjoying the wines you have just purchased.
I did not know this. Huh! Learned something.
Also shows you how often I got to wineries (or how much wine I drink.)
Now she doesn’t take Fondue lightly. She has an entire “box” for fondue.
After reading this update... I'm not surprised she has a whole "box"!!
When I do fondue, I get out the pot, some forks and everyone gets a regular plate. But here, “We fancy!”
notice the fancy plates for when we get to the main course, they have all the little places for your different sauces and everything!
Nice. I usually would just put out little ramekins.
We had chicken, beef, pork, tortellini, potatoes and all the vegetables leftover from the cheese as well!
She had everything for the chocolate dessert, but everyone was just too full to even attempt it
No kidding! That was a lot!
On my last full day we decided to visit a nature sanctuary, which is walking distance from their house.
Pretty handy. :)
and this bear enjoying his (or her) soak.
Heh. Did it remind you of your spa day? :)
At one point, we took a ride around the park on this train. It was a fun little way to break up all the walking.
Cute. :)
And here’s one of the Bison (I think).
We enjoyed a dinner of Ribs, baked potatoes and Broccoli.
mmmm... ribs...
And finally we got our dessert Fondue. In addition to the chocolate Fondue Allyson made this other Yogurt/Candy Bar based dip as well.
Huh! I've always done chocolate... never heard of a Yogurt/Candy Bar one. What a cool idea!
Ask Allyson if she accepts guests from the prairies.
She works very long days, and has a fairly long drive to work and back.
Been there. Now, my commute is only about half an hour. Much better.

You are really selling me on going to Kamloops to the spa and then Allyson's for dinner....everything looked fantastic!

Jill in CO

Yay! Everything looked really good.
It was I just didn't remember what any of it was and was too lazy to go look up the menu. There were so many little plates.
That's too bad. But sometimes you just have to get all your ducts in a row.

:duck:
:sad2:
You can say that about a lot of movies. I really liked The Martian.
I still need to see it, as with a lot of things.
Nope. I never think that... of anyone, actually. It's certainly none of my business. If you can travel and you enjoy it, then good for you. That's all I care about.
Well my parents have....or my mom.
Sorry. This time it's my ignorance. What is WBTA?
West Bound Trans Atlantic
You have not. But yes, I'm sure it is.
Yeah, there's the cremation, the celebration of life, getting appraisals of the properties, lawyers fees to transfer things over. Even though we had a trust some things slipped through the cracks. Plus I'm not getting all the money that she used to get (see above some things slipped through the cracks.) Hopefully I get it all in a lump sum when it's solved.
Not fly Air Canada?

:rolleyes1
:lmao: Well I looked at West Jet, but to get to Kamloops I have to stop in Alberta first. Added 2 hours to the 1 hour flight on Air Canada.
Well, they do... but it's called Verified Traveller. I think if you have Global Entry, that applies too.
Doh! I have Global Entry now!
I don't know what 3-1-1 is, but this is what you're allowed:
See below:
Liquids, gels or aerosols in containers 100 ml / 100 g (3.4 oz.) or less.
This is the 3
These containers MUST be placed in one (1)
clear, closed and re-sealable plastic bag no larger than 1 litre (1 quart)
1. Voila! 3-1-1
Interesting. Never seen a spirits distillery. Then again, I wouldn't be looking for one, so...
Her hubby likes Whiskey and I believe the bottles she picked up were whiskey for him. They make their spirits very "clean" so natural and not a lot of by products or additives. Plus being made locally I believe they are more affordable than major brands.
Apparently a necessary one, given...
...this! :laughing:
Yes! I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw an actual turtle!
Heh. And yet, the first thing I noticed was the tub. It took you mentioning the view for me to even look beyond the tub.
Both were equally beautiful!
Of course! Who doesn't??
I don't know. Crazy people? :confused3
So what was different about these meatballs? I've eaten at several German restaurants (including in Germany) and don't recall those.
I don't remember, but you and I had a discussion about Clopppities and you found German meatballs called Klopse. These meatballs were called Faschierte Laibchen, but they just sounded delicious and reminded of the TV show I had watched with Fran that featured a similar German meatball.
I suppose it depends on the clientele!
Yeah, we were imagining a bunch of "junk" on the boards of the sauna and were like....no.
I'd feel the same way. Did you notice if the majority of guests had dressed or not?
Most of the guests came down in their robes. We were definitely in the minority.
New concept... I presume you mean outside of a benedict. And I agree. I've never had poached eggs that weren't covered in some kind of hollandaise sauce.
Yes. Outside of a benedict. Normally with an eggs/meat breakfast eggs are ordered over easy/medium or scrambled. It might have even been something more exotic than poached. I just remember it was unfamiliar to me.
And that's okay too,. Nothing says a vacation can't have a day of relaxing in it. (Although you did pretty well at the spa.)
Well they were hosting a disc golf tournament the following weekend. Dorian was gone all day one day (or maybe two) setting up their farm for the tournament. I know one day we picked up Domino's pizza and kept one for us (Allyson, Alison & Makenna) and left two in the shed at the farm for the guys working on the course.

The day I watched the movie Allyson had some beauracratic type of work to do, like sending out invites or responding to confirmations for the entrants. So I kept out of the way. There was another day that i was actually so tired i had to take a nap. I never take naps!
I did not know this. Huh! Learned something.
Also shows you how often I got to wineries (or how much wine I drink.)
I havent been tasting in CA in years (will change that in about two months) but you didnt used to have to borrow glasses because most places included complimentary glasses in their tasting fee. I'm guessing now that the fee does not include glasses and they charge you extra if you want logo glasses to keep or use later.
Nice. I usually would just put out little ramekins.
I've only done cheese and chocolate fondues at home, so no need to have extra ramekins, etc.
Huh! I've always done chocolate... never heard of a Yogurt/Candy Bar one. What a cool idea!
Ask Allyson if she accepts guests from the prairies.
She used plain yogurt and a SKOR bar to make hers.

You're welcome. ;)
Well my parents have....or my mom.
Ah yes... some things never change.
West Bound Trans Atlantic
OH!!
Wow! Nice!
Yeah, there's the cremation, the celebration of life, getting appraisals of the properties, lawyers fees to transfer things over. Even though we had a trust some things slipped through the cracks. Plus I'm not getting all the money that she used to get (see above some things slipped through the cracks.) Hopefully I get it all in a lump sum when it's solved.
A lot.

:hug:
:lmao: Well I looked at West Jet, but to get to Kamloops I have to stop in Alberta first. Added 2 hours to the 1 hour flight on Air Canada.
Yeah... not overly happy with WestJet's decision to hub in Calgary.
1. Voila! 3-1-1
Now we both know. :)
I don't know. Crazy people? :confused3
I don't remember, but you and I had a discussion about Clopppities and you found German meatballs called Klopse. These meatballs were called Faschierte Laibchen, but they just sounded delicious and reminded of the TV show I had watched with Fran that featured a similar German meatball.
Looked up the recipe. Just said "mixed meats". I'd think... beef and pork?
Yeah, we were imagining a bunch of "junk" on the boards of the sauna and were like....no.
Ew. Nope!
Most of the guests came down in their robes. We were definitely in the minority.
Well... good for them being comfortable with it.
Normally with an eggs/meat breakfast eggs are ordered over easy/medium or scrambled.
She used plain yogurt and a SKOR bar to make hers.
Sounds pretty good. :)

Is that why they do it? Made no sense to me.
That's why. I recently had to fly from home to Ottawa. I flew Air Canada.
To put it into perspective, if I'd flown WestJet, it would've been the equivalent of flying from Dallas to Miami... via Las Vegas.
:laughing: Yeah, I would be afraid of getting the sleeve of the robe dipped in my food.

That's why. I recently had to fly from home to Ottawa. I flew Air Canada.
To put it into perspective, if I'd flown WestJet, it would've been the equivalent of flying from Dallas to Miami... via Las Vegas.

So you mean, Winnipeg, to Ottawa via Calgary? You forget I know Canadian Geography. I had to really think about the US references you gave me! :laughing:

So you mean, Winnipeg, to Ottawa via Calgary? You forget I know Canadian Geography. I had to really think about the US references you gave me! :laughing:
Yes! :laughing:
I know you do, but converted it for any of your US readers who might have been wondering and not familiar with the geography north of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter