The Void: Star Wars VR

We just did this on Monday night. First, might I say that while the whole week was hot, nothing was hotter than walking through Disney Springs at 4pm. I don't know if there just wasn't a breeze and all that asphalt soaked up the sun or what, but we were nearly dying. It was literally unbearable and we had been troopers all day every day with no issues in the hot sun. Lord help mercy.

So we get to the Void and it was weird, hardly anyone was there. It was standing there as this big building with hardly any indication of what was inside. We had made reservations so they took us straight in.

Two adults and one 12 year old. The agent there did a poor job of explaining how to fully size up the helmet and vest. We had to have him slow down and explain again as he was talking very fast and skipping steps. He never told me to snap the chin strap on the helmet (I didn't even realize there was one) which would have helped keep my helmet in place.

The whole get-up was heavy and a bit awkward. Our 12 year old had a very VERY hard time getting the helmet and visor to fit correctly and it kept slipping. (I'm wondering if the chin strap was never snapped in place?)

The adventure began and it was cool, but at one point you do pick up a big plastic gun similar to those huge pool blaster guns and I know this sounds silly, (especially considering I enjoy sport shooting) but I never could find the trigger until the very end. The gun had a pump on it like a pump shot gun and I was confused how the stupid thing worked. We were fighting for our lives and apparently no bullets were coming out of mine.

It ended and we were all sweaty and didn't want to deal with looking at a bunch of pictures they were trying to sell us, so we headed on out. I was surprised the 12 year old who LOVES Star Wars wasn't freaking out with excitement, but he wasn't. He said the helmet issue messed it up for him.

I would say go, but don't build it up too much.

Just did this experience on Sunday (06/24/18) at 145. We had tickets ahead of time, but people were just walking up without problem. I thought it was really good.

I’ve been watching for tickets for our trip at the end of July and they have finally come out online. I just like to know I have them and they are paid for, even though it sounds like you don’t really have to pre-order.

We did this at Disney Springs 2 weeks ago. Made the reservation online in the morning and got a 1pm-ish appointment for that same day. It was so much fun. We did it for Father's Day and for DH's birthday (since his b-day is in June). Same experience as in Anaheim (I compared notes w/a friend who did this at the Void in Downtown Disney in Anaheim).

I think I'm finally going to squeeze this in on my September trip. I'm planning to eat at Homecomin' before. Is this intense enough that I'll be uncomfortable if I eat right before doing it? (ADR at 9:10 pm, appointment perhaps at 10:30 pm?)

I think I'm finally going to squeeze this in on my September trip. I'm planning to eat at Homecomin' before. Is this intense enough that I'll be uncomfortable if I eat right before doing it? (ADR at 9:10 pm, appointment perhaps at 10:30 pm?)
It isn't an intense experience, and imo it wouldn't be an issue to do it right after eating a normal meal. But I certainly wouldn't want to do it if I just had a gluttonous meal at a restaurant like Homecommin'. Not trying to assume anything about you or your family, just saying that I know I have had my fair share of meals at Disney where after eating all I want to do is sit down and digest for the next three hours. Having that feeling and then doing The Void would absolutely negatively impact the experience. Also wouldn't suggest doing this while inebriated.

Just did this last week with my 10 year old. Walked in about around 4pm with no reservation, checked in at desk and paid. Checkin time showed 15min later so we walked down to the star wars store not far away to browse. Came back 15min later and was in about 10min after that. The guys suiting us up were pretty quick and if you didnt ask questions they would blow right through so I can see how some people didn't get setup right. My son did say the gear was really heavy for him (10yr old 49" with shoes) and he did mention his helmet moved around alot (after we were done), not sure if they could have fixed it if he told them before we went back. Both my son and I are star wars fans and gamers so we had a blast in the experience. The couple with us were really fun and we all got a kick out of the 4' storm trooper. The shooting was definitely the best part of the experience for us and we had no problems with figuring out the guns. My son asked a few days later when we could do it again so he enjoyed it. I have used a few VR setups for a few min here and there and they come nowhere close to this. The tech they have here is really clear and responsive. Would do it again on another trip if still available in the future just to bring my daughter who isnt old enough or tall enough right now.

I went with my BIL in June and we loved it! It was like being in Star Wars, the only way to describe it. It was about 15 mins, Maybe 30-35 minutes for the whole experience.

We made a reservation 2 hrs before showing up. It wasn’t crowded at all, and we played with just the 2 of us. If you’re less than a party of 4, theres a possibility of being paires with other guests. If your party is greater than 4, you WILL be split up.

PS: say THE VOID to the photo clerk and you’ll be able to get a free digital photo :)

It isn't an intense experience, and imo it wouldn't be an issue to do it right after eating a normal meal. But I certainly wouldn't want to do it if I just had a gluttonous meal at a restaurant like Homecommin'. Not trying to assume anything about you or your family, just saying that I know I have had my fair share of meals at Disney where after eating all I want to do is sit down and digest for the next three hours. Having that feeling and then doing The Void would absolutely negatively impact the experience. Also wouldn't suggest doing this while inebriated.

I’ll wait and think more about it. I hadn’t planned on eating all three courses there. And I’m used to heavy Southern food, and I don’t drink. But I definitely don’t want to be at all uncomfortable doing Void. I wonder if I’d have an issue just walking up around 10:30 if I decide I’m feeling up for it.

I’ll wait and think more about it. I hadn’t planned on eating all three courses there. And I’m used to heavy Southern food, and I don’t drink. But I definitely don’t want to be at all uncomfortable doing Void. I wonder if I’d have an issue just walking up around 10:30 if I decide I’m feeling up for it.
Might be a good way to digest! Some people take a walk, some people gear up in the Void. ;)

Maybe I need to be more specific. If you feel this is a meal where you may eat until discomfort, then doing the void afterwards is not going to be a fun experience. All you do in the void is put on some gear which is about 30lbs and walk around. Doing it after a normal meal where you feel you can get up and go on with your day with no issue, you will be fine.

Thinking about giving this a try in September but I'm wondering if it will survive that long. There seems to be a plethora of times available. Today, tomorrow, next week, pretty much anytime on any day. How busy is this place?

Thinking about giving this a try in September but I'm wondering if it will survive that long. There seems to be a plethora of times available. Today, tomorrow, next week, pretty much anytime on any day. How busy is this place?

Interesting observation. We've been wanting to visit while at WDW in mid-September and have been waiting for them to post ticket availability. As of today, there's still no availability beyond Sunday, September 9. I'd been speculating perhaps this could be for a potential closure for the rumored Wreck-It Ralph VR experience. I reached out to The Void on this and just got a generic "we haven't announced dates ... watch our website for further releases" response.

Interesting observation. We've been wanting to visit while at WDW in mid-September and have been waiting for them to post ticket availability. As of today, there's still no availability beyond Sunday, September 9. I'd been speculating perhaps this could be for a potential closure for the rumored Wreck-It Ralph VR experience. I reached out to The Void on this and just got a generic "we haven't announced dates ... watch our website for further releases" response.

Oh gosh I hope not--my husband is really looking forward to doing this and we arrive Sept 14th!

Oh gosh I hope not--my husband is really looking forward to doing this and we arrive Sept 14th!
Same here! We are visiting Sept 30th and it would be devastating if we couldn't do this. I have been talking about how much fun it was to the three traveling with me who are huge Star Wars fans (I have already experienced it once and thought it was an absolute blast). We were all really looking forward to it. Maybe I am biased, but I think Wreck It Ralph would not be anywhere near as fun or interesting for this technology as Star Wars is. I think Brent D might be on to something, as it does seem very reasonable that is what is going on here. From the article, the rumor states that half the capacity will remain Star Wars Secrets of the Empire, I really hope that they are able to keep that portion of the experience operational while transitioning the other half into WIR.

They pretty much sell tickets indiscriminately, and historically, as near as I can tell, the time of your ticket didn't mean anything. (see my post number 159 where I whine about this a little bit.) So I wouldn't take ticket availability as an indication that they're not doing well. We've only been there once but I ended up hovering around the place for several hours while we waited for the rest of our party to arrive from urgent care. They seemed to have a pretty constant flow of customers, like they kept busy but never had a long line. That was a Tuesday afternoon. So it's anecdotal but they seemed to me to be doing just fine, and with the buzz the place gets (including from me) I think it will get more and more popular. We would do it again, no question.

Same here! We are visiting Sept 30th and it would be devastating if we couldn't do this. I have been talking about how much fun it was to the three traveling with me who are huge Star Wars fans (I have already experienced it once and thought it was an absolute blast). We were all really looking forward to it. Maybe I am biased, but I think Wreck It Ralph would not be anywhere near as fun or interesting for this technology as Star Wars is. I think Brent D might be on to something, as it does seem very reasonable that is what is going on here. From the article, the rumor states that half the capacity will remain Star Wars Secrets of the Empire, I really hope that they are able to keep that portion of the experience operational while transitioning the other half into WIR.

Looks like I just needed to be patient a couple more days. There's now availability showing up beyond September 9.

Went last week... checked online before going and the time slots all showed availability, but some would say 18 slots, some 7 slots. Didn't want to pre-purchase online so just went over... a big storm came through as we got there, there was hardly anyone in there..maybe 6 other customers. My son and I went through by ourselves on the mission. We had a blast, and my son wanted to do it again...but not for $70 again.

On a nice day guess would have been more people... but their price is on the high side for the experience. Think this something that people will be able to do in their homes soon, so they need more varied options and lower prices if want to survive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter