The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

What are people's experience booking a one bedroom at the 7 months mark?

I'm too new to have direct experience, but based on how frequently I am on the resort availability tool and @skier_pete's availability charts for VGC... it will not be a problem, barely an inconvenience during January, 1st half of March, April, and May. It may be "spotty" for DVC-busy seasons, but not impossible like it is for studios.

In short, booking a one bedroom at the 7 month mark will be quite doable if your travel times happen to be in the 3 1/2 months mentioned above.

Thanks, I'm looking at August but gives me a good sense of possibilities. Now to do the math and see if I can make the points work lol

We are checking in next week! we are members from BLT in orlando and booked a 1BR at the seven month mark. I got online every morning right at booking time (7CT) for a little over a week and peiced it together day by day. I wasnt able to just grab the days I wanted in one big group, but every day I was able to grab another day that was released by walkers. I eventually got 4 of my 6 desired nights this way and I got the other 2 nights a week or so later via waitlist.

We are super excited as this is our first trip to disneyland and we don't really know what to expect! our traveling party is myself, DW, DS4, and DD3.

I posted my experience on the previous page in this thread - ultimately we got it all! Like PP, you may have to piece it together (maybe just during more crowded times?) but it is totally doable. Good luck - we can't wait!

I got a studio at the 7-month mark for spring 2020!

Is there a market at Grand Cali? On the DVC site, there are lists of what groceries are available at each DVC resort, but Grand Cali is not on that list.

I'm not finding much information online; it looks like maybe White Water Snacks had a small grocery section that may have been removed in the renovation?

I'd like to pack bagels and purchase cream cheese and ground coffee.

...Is there a market at Grand Cali? On the DVC site, there are lists of what groceries are available at each DVC resort, but Grand Cali is not on that list.
I'm not finding much information online; it looks like maybe White Water Snacks had a small grocery section that may have been removed in the renovation?
I'd like to pack bagels and purchase cream cheese and ground coffee.
The selection at Craftsman Grill (formerly Whitewater Snacks) is very limited.
Ground coffee and filters are available, but better coffee can be found at Starbucks in DTD.

Cold selection from June 2019:
cg_fridge.jpg

There were (when VGC was new) items to cook a breakfast (eggs, bacon, butter...), but now even the most basic items must bought from outside the resort.

The selection at Craftsman Grill (formerly Whitewater Snacks) is very limited.
Ground coffee and filters are available, but better coffee can be found at Starbucks in DTD.

Cold selection from June 2019:
View attachment 439727

There were (when VGC was new) items to cook a breakfast (eggs, bacon, butter...), but now even the most basic items must bought from outside the resort.

Thanks. This helps with logistics. I would pack coffee from home, but the last time I did that in my carry-on, I nearly had it confiscated by TSA, and that was a sealed bag straight from the store.

I'm staying the first night at Candy Cane Inn, so I guess I could stop at the CVS or Walgreens at the corner of Harbor/Katella once I have my room assignment and then take a Lyft from there. I was hoping to take a Lyft before park opening to GC and have them store my luggage, but I guess I can have CCI store my luggage and take the Lyft in the afternoon instead.

...I'm staying the first night at Candy Cane Inn, so I guess I could stop at the CVS or Walgreens at the corner of Harbor/Katella once I have my room assignment and then take a Lyft from there. I was hoping to take a Lyft before park opening to GC and have them store my luggage, but I guess I can have CCI store my luggage and take the Lyft in the afternoon instead.
Checking in early at VGC will help with room assignment. If view is important, you could checkin as early as 6AM :goodvibes

Is there a market at Grand Cali? On the DVC site, there are lists of what groceries are available at each DVC resort, but Grand Cali is not on that list.

There is also a liquor store on Katella, just west of West street (aka Disneyland Drive) called Wonderland Liquor. They have a pretty good selection of foods for a little hole in the wall.

There is also a liquor store on Katella, just west of West street (aka Disneyland Drive) called Wonderland Liquor. They have a pretty good selection of foods for a little hole in the wall.

There are several other stores nearby. At the corner of Katella and Harbor is a convenience market. They seem to have everything. It looks like across the street is also a CVS which may have things that you're looking for. Lastly, directly across Harbor from the entrance to the parks is the Tropicana, which also has a small market. It is likely that the market in the Tropicana is closest to the Grand Californian, but you'd have to pass through security with your groceries. I don't know if that would cause problems.

The Starbucks in DTD is very convenient--just a few minutes from any room in the resort, and only a few steps from the DTD entrance from GCH.

Thanks!

There are several other stores nearby. At the corner of Katella and Harbor is a convenience market. They seem to have everything. It looks like across the street is also a CVS which may have things that you're looking for. Lastly, directly across Harbor from the entrance to the parks is the Tropicana, which also has a small market. It is likely that the market in the Tropicana is closest to the Grand Californian, but you'd have to pass through security with your groceries. I don't know if that would cause problems.

With my luck, it would. They made me fully open - like open the factory-sealed box and take all the pieces out - a tea set from World of Disney when I passed through the Esplanade to go back to a Harbor Blvd hotel a few years back. I'm sure the people behind me in line were thrilled.

I also had security at WDW tell me to take off my SparkleSkirt one time. THAT was a misunderstanding - they thought a front zipper pocket was a fanny pack! I was horrified and frantically trying to explain that it was a pocket and not something I was willing to take off in public! (I did not, in fact, have to undress in the security line.)

The Starbucks in DTD is very convenient--just a few minutes from any room in the resort, and only a few steps from the DTD entrance from GCH.

I may just go this route. I like to eat breakfast in the room to save time and make logistics easier, but in this case, it's making the logistics far more complicated than necessary!

I may just go this route. I like to eat breakfast in the room to save time and make logistics easier, but in this case, it's making the logistics far more complicated than necessary!
On occasion, we'd leave early to stop at the Starbucks before entering the parks; other times, one of the two of us would go there to pick up our lattes while the other was getting ready, and then we'd drink them in the room. Both ways worked fine for us, and security wasn't an issue since it was just a beverage and maybe a pastry.

Has anyone stayed in a Pixar Pier or Redwood Creek Trail view room on a grad night? I just put in our room requests for late May and realized that with the multiple grad nights, it might be very noisy on that side. Would love to hear from people who have experienced a room facing DCA during grad nights as to how noisy they are. Thanks!

We were there in May and 2 of our 7 nights were grad nights. I actually requested a pool view room but when I checked in, realized I got the coveted 6502 so I decided to try it out. I don’t remember it being too loud, and the kids and I slept fine, but my husband says he could hear loud music in the room until about midnight and it kept him awake. Might be a good time to try a different view if the majority of your nights are grad nights and you go to bed early.

We were there in May and 2 of our 7 nights were grad nights. I actually requested a pool view room but when I checked in, realized I got the coveted 6502 so I decided to try it out. I don’t remember it being too loud, and the kids and I slept fine, but my husband says he could hear loud music in the room until about midnight and it kept him awake. Might be a good time to try a different view if the majority of your nights are grad nights and you go to bed early.
Thank you!

We just booked our first stay for next June. Our car service will give us a free stop at a grocer. Where is the closest full grocery not just convenience store?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter