The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

:goodvibes Love O'hana! It's been two years since I've been there and I really want to go back again!

I definitely want to go back after our first experience!

::yes:: And it's one of the harder reservations to get, at least that's been my experience!

I made these reservations pretty far in advance. With good reason, too!

And like @pkondz said chicken fingers. Although it's really easy to get a walk up at the restaurant in Morocco.

::yes:: So they've got that going for them, which is nice.

I've had it before. You can definitely taste the coconut in the bread.

I guess you guys are more sensitive to that than I was.

Actually this is a component of the meal that I usually love. At Disney I never eat enough veggies because I'm too busy stuffing myself with meat, pasta, tacos and other such grub. This salad is so refreshing with the Asian dressing, it's really good!

I was happy with the broccoli in the stir-fry. The next time I get excited about a salad will be the first. I know, you're shocked.

:faint: For as much as I have spent on meals at various frou frou restaurants, you have me beat on this one. I have never spent $50 on a bowl of Mac n Cheese and I've had it with lobster or truffles or all kinds of additions (which BTW don't make it better).

I always wondered about that. Mac n cheese usually goes well with bbq.

Did you find any gold at the bottom of the bowl?

Sadly, no. And believe me, I was looking for it.

I can understand this. However, this summer if your family is dining at any All-You-Care-To-Eat restaurants, I would go over the ground rules first. The younger ones may not have noticed any of this.....

We'll chalk it up to a lesson learned for the future. Nobody hands out Parenting Manuals, so we all end up just making this up as we go.

Really? I crave this stuff, like seriously!

I was pre-disposed not to care for it. Different strokes, and all that.

You can also order it at the Tambu Lounge, so you don't have to eat the whole entire meal to try it. I'm thinking about that for sometime in the future....

I'll just get a Dole Whip downstairs.:thumbsup2

:laughing: I can't imagine what part of it she would be afraid of seeing! :lmao:

:rolleyes1 I had another photo I didn't post. And it wasn't of me.

I thought you did pretty well! :thumbsup2

Thanks!:goodvibes

Yeah, I can see how that would be quite a transportational nightmare.

This ought to clear it up.

wdw-transport-map-full.png

Fantastic theming in the resorts, CMs who brighten your day, clean rooms and entertainment everywhere you turn....

All reasonable points. Which means they will be ignored.

Plus we never have to worry about whether or not Fran can get around. Everything is accessible, and well maintained. No potholes in the sidewalks, or rickety cobblestone streets (except in the UK at Epcot).

And then there's this, which many of us never even think about!

The kid's first real slide was there.

I always had fun there. :thumbsup2

Remind me again when? Is this the Universal stop?

No. This is coming in late July--it'll be Drew's first official Disney trip. Coming down with some extended family.

Just a regular glutton for punishment?
What a nice way of putting it!
And to think that all these years I’ve just settled for allowing folks to call me a stupid idiot…

I'd love to have you back here! It would mean a) you're commenting again, and b) your workload is easing up.
Well, “B” is finally starting to become more of a possibility.
So that’s a win.

Not so sure that “A” is really in your best interest though.
I ain’t near as entertaining as most of your guest commentators.

I’ve caught up now, but I think it’s best if I just let the chapters I’ve missed go and pick back up with the most recent one. I will say though that If you get back to New Orleans do try to see the WWII museum. It’s very well done and was a highlight (among many highlights) of our short anniversary road trip.

Anyway…
Since you’re glad to have me back, I’ll punish that good will with some pointless commentary for the current chapter (and I advise everyone here to just ignore it for the greater good of humanity.)

Chapter 14: The One With The World’s Most Expensive Bowl of Mac and Cheese
I believe that’s served at 725 5th Ave (and is rumored to be gold plated)

Our previous record for driving had been over 3,600 miles on the tour of the Great Plains states, also known as the World’s Most Boring Drive In The World.
As declared by the Department of Redundancy Department.

This is what happens when you drive from Delaware to Florida via Oklahoma.
close to the yukon.jpg

We needed that light at the end of the tunnel in order to keep going.
So long as it wasn’t the train coming from the other direction.

Of course, haveing a train coming up from behind can also be an excellent motivator in terms of getting everyone moving forward on the arduous journey ahead.

It’s always interesting to see how you’re perceived in different circles.
I know how I’m usually perceived.
And “interesting” isn’t quite the word that generally gets bandied about

Anyway, the Budget Committee had determined that a full-blown park visit was not in the cards for this trip
We have one of those committees too…
Problem is…

It’s me.

After 2 weeks in the car in stifling summer heat, everyone thought a water park would be just what the doctor ordered.
So long as it wasn’t located in Flamingo

There is no truly affordable way for a family of 6 to stay in one room on-site at Walt Disney World.
Heck, it’s no longer true for a group of only two or three.
Lord help y’all.

And I can’t pull my “conveniently forget a couple of kids when booking” trick because of the fact that admission is tied to each guest.
So untrusting…

The cheapest option is the family suites at the All-Star Music resort, but there are only 6 of them available and, being a theme snob, there are other places I’d prefer to stay.
Hello pot, my name’s kettle.

Yea, that’s a bit unfair to the value spots, but they’ll get their revenge on us. I doubt we could even afford them anymore without some serious special offer or windfall being tossed into the mix. We’ve been splitting on-site with off-site accommodations about half-n-half for a while now and if we go back, it will likely be stayin’ entirely off-site at this point (pay checks haven’t been increasing at quite the same rate as the prices for quite some time).

We found a summer discount offer and decided the best fit was a blast from the past for me—the cabins at the Fort Wilderness Campground.
Have yet to do that one.
Would like to, just not sure how.

I remember visiting both the River Country water park and Discovery Island. During that same time period, I would walk 15 miles to and from school carrying a 50-lb. backpack, uphill both ways in seven feet of snow, even in summer. And get off my lawn!
Pup…
When I was a kid living in that area, WDW was just wet lands and pine forest; we went there just to play with the rocks and sticks.

And we liked it!

Anyway, being a family that generally decides not to fix things if they ain’t broken…
Better than my penchant for breaking things that aren’t fixable…

@cj9200 had hooked us up with a transponder just before our trip and it made our lives so much easier getting around Florida. However, he had neglected to give us his credit card number to handle the billing.
If I remember correctly, his credit card is circulating somewhere up in the Boston area, so he didn’t have it to offer. It was kind of him to lift someone else’s transponder for y’all, though.

After that hour of driving, the kids were thrilled to finally say that they were back on Disney property. Aaaahhh…

oK7-647VqT9JQaLt_1VUPCQXejy_Aef1d1dpXmBO3_HirZjUCgv3QLCmAYLPlwWBKDhn6knP4qc2HNweecvknOvAfIjSNG1e06dWpPoIh9GyWX5f5TMYhOsH79N369Ab3Qcu5urYDspcOu5STiqYsU1yFU2ltBAJO2UL2WYx1_6mR-DG_ukRy7HT-xlmBM2LwhUw22MOc2SvuIH8VSTV4s1zsAiXq5YPji-e-XsCTEDkSSNsk_Fu_Qra7W__bWXaVrZMHWdO87cQkuUqg_n9Pkmt_OJqmDlrCfGUWNouQrDplgeBAMeGl_kKTrrZ72Ra4CD9_5R0i4UMsExmjcFK1Sx9yRwzT4Qyt9P2He0Rolz36eNvPHNGXIFsa1OCBNdaSwe6sJSuNcTNHiurmXin49tS-Zwew_usjndoD-hMPWh20pGeN3ho5FRRWN0bYlPq5fZdzRbqplE5iHLXkKh9FB6LbOfMt1XzCUQlgn6Odb4B5y1B7v44Kons9A_mN40bLwK7JiKPLOBw7-Fraf49JcSTUJ34mQJEhthwO9Xyy0gRBHPwaWV8TvyolW9mOGtJTY0YYqE2K7z25WXrucCBPd5gXhXxJtW_6YC_qLYM=w1250-h834-no
Such a lovely sight…

In 2012, we’d vacationed in Myrtle Beach, SC for a week. Then, Julie and I had decided to surprise the kids with a few days at WDW afterwards. We left Myrtle Beach and turned south instead of north, and waited for the kids to figure it out. We actually made it all the way to the gates! It’s a fun story, and you can read about it here if you’d like to waste even more of your own time.
Do believe I wasted my time reading it back then.
(But I’d consider repeating the process)

if you have a choice between sitting in a parking lot and going inside a building that Disney Imagineers once built, you always choose the latter.
Unless you’re one of those folks that would never go to Disney.
I pity them…

Disney themes are the bacon of the decorating world. They make everything better.
That insight alone should make this TR eligible for a Nobel Prize.
(especially considering how devalued these have become of late)

We got our cabin assignment and a very helpful map of the resort and set off to find it and unpack.
Here we go with you and maps again…
Did you choose to make the trip by way of the Yukon?

It’s always nice having an extra room to stretch out with a sofa bed so nobody has to sleep on the floor.
Or on their head, for that matter…

I’ll just call it the Poly because it’s fewer syllables and I’m an extremely lazy man.
And ‘cause (marketing aside) that’s its true name anyway.

On this night, we were having our very first O’hana dinner experience.
I’ll wait to see what you think before I risk being tossed out of the DDC for commenting on this.

I have to admit, I was originally sad to see the waterfall garden go, but the new lobby of the Poly has really grown on me.
Agreed.
They both had their strong points and I’ll miss the older version from a nostalgic point of view, but the new arrangement is very inviting, suits Disney’s current trends in styling cues and offers more light and space in what has over time become a vastly more crowded experience.

For some reason, possibly because we’re masochists, we tried to get another photo of the kids. You can see how well that turned out.

MKHdX1FXyrSw0MNyhqxoGBjThOX3Z5NkVq5ad3ImXFZxKKYPuUxb2WETOm3gzTowgWCzQWGDb35roGz-oEgb-f06NJ5J4JqQmAUy3WI-vzJ81XXVrvE777muJYMxrnMCIqHswXVNQOjV0hTigfvy_cXzT7ZD78xxNF1cWUMhZeQU60_k0X12xCc--8uNbKFqvnnBxGa_wNS2F14Yn5FLzJvr8fluvaptooqy6Hbnj2PPa3ZTrj3W-GxmzALDLVlW_xdi92QDy2Cz0ozz2ivITipmSH_IOX8fvmFirs76DH7LouHAiJN-g5hf_kXS6Wqd3ZIqOC_xCgToCoW8kBWUHrfuOog3bAjEfPSwrx0xmfVvoNu9SWrDSAyGUjlU6wE5wmmiGVy7Hjdymwsj8-FscJMaLF3fdhFmR-lGi__uFerFWVwz2dUN0kzgJqbuEd9xiXxBuiP8VEgIMVnGonD3JBMEy9k8nupM--levuSYlXi6Ev2ukrnswj01O8EXLKYux04NCTVMjQ5hb-JHS4xq4ZuBZLzIXqSnfm4FED90tUtUyUh5s9CAWLg8UnbO_xb_3lu8zrcKCSI90f7A7eA0gGoTX3nwtu2PkXgIOPhu=w1250-h834-no
Count your’ blessings.
My kid stopped even allowing us to take any type of photos better than a decade ago.

There’s a Bible verse that says “Children are a blessing from the Lord.”
I subscribe to the theory that they’re a curse wished upon you by your parents.
Both views still effectively ensure the continuation of the species, though.

It always amazes me how many people are trying to get seats in the most popular tourist destination on earth by just walking up at 6:00 p.m. and asking for a table.
What amazes me is when I read about someone for whom the strategy worked.
I wouldn’t dream of putting myself so far above everyone else
(and that’s precisely why I’ll never be wealthy or successful)

I’m experiencing this now as I plan our latest Disney adventure with my brother, who doesn’t want to make reservations for dinners or Fastpasses because he’d rather “just wing it.” I told him I hope he enjoys the Country Bear Jamboree.
You might also suggest that they pack sandwiches and a map locating all the water fountains.

Truth be told, I was sold once I heard “all-you-can-eat meat from the grill”.
And that’s the inarguable up side.

As Jeff (@Terra Nova guy ) once said in one of our threads, “Meat + Fire = World’s Best Recipe.”
And Jeff is right.

Except…
When the folks doing the roasting do not understand the concept of “done”
Meat that is “well done” is most certainly not well done.
(and having unlimited amounts of it, don’t make it better)

Take note parents: when you curse your child with the pronouncement, “Someday I hope you have a child, and that he’s just like you!”…it works!
Yes, yes it does.
And in my family we’ve always used the “three times worse than you” variant of the curse.

That one works just as well.

Our server was very helpful and found out his favorite dish in the whole wide world is mac-and-cheese, so she had the kitchen whip up a massive bowl for him.

0GR73tL5mgcxsdlwpkIpytzcmbSQOWQE6GrTmehaUhZ4ca4o8uWMXZmwzT1arIu_riZ54dtxVxe6d4TBlDplR4Yprjh-8Ayed8AJu1t-1U-dmODv5dQTwXlosYb6cUprSKT9c65b0xmK1aJscGhMyIUlRuqGPaGdG0j8ijNyKtmfDDFElvHRA81vSqFD3xNP7BzVGe_DbIRf-9Dy-7ydBm4EGBoaAmyRDQ4XepQanXyPTY7q-ACyrVmZtHJcxQYSn-mulIoU_GvYRQ9P4XIT0ypA_id_tD4RUBVgFg-ErYCfbkZaU8Nt26KDB6LNuttKze5NxhYTce3-FbBPs4pz_qTBryJ5o0UJsNM8GlOb32Gkv3fZibBGA6EsRgaofbARyhCBeKL5xsDes3okmcPD588YEyNFqYlFUOAinqhvJahjmNZI542APiFwi-k3vCq-34MjbEJF6pUp5xR-6b7Yd9lBCmCgSgtN272lRO8QvkKqVTu700myLpJEqSeEaSpCyZPy5Vukfw1uEMygVpnRqhQNIDjvWKA4U7MG0HYEN_OHA7gAa-aSzoH5q3VNCfnkAeCxjovPOdCrEl6ROS1EvKiesjo1b9HiesmZj6v2=w570-h854-no
The Ambrosia of Modern American Childhood…

He wouldn’t try anything else from the dinner. So, if I do the math...

...hang on, let me get my socks off...

...carry the one...

...That made it a $50 bowl of mac-and-cheese.
Whoops…
Go back and check you math.
You may need to carry another toe ‘cause I think you’re underestimating the total outlay here.

I may or may not have wondered if the mac-and-cheese had come with a TV in it.
Or at least an iPhone.

(And truth be told, I suspect that they keep a massive caldron of the stuff bubbling away at all of their signature restaurants, so it wasn’t like they went out of their way to offer up the option. Myself, I think that they should consider allowing kids the choice of this dish at a reasonable secondary price to encourage the frustrated parents to try some of the finer dining establishments more often.)

He was in vacation mode, figuring he could just get what he wanted and not worry about it.
Vacation mode?
I thought that was just standard yopung’en mode.

This was the only decent shot with beef I could find. I was too busy eating it.

Nqtzh-f3fnRu87evrHEtwk3MNViS9dwrsn2rKViXvAdBnUqEYUdFTNagU4S8b1zDsu751_emvbyKo_0j3bA15nPKbi8mKfeQKblPWYwOB-VX-_36u6D1AgwVhQFwwKFaFl2cWxkpJq7NuYUmYCoE6NneCCHPEMcDRrqX2MTSiqJMzefUnPXQRI1GoiuVMJ7qke1U4j_HNdcQiI8-KKAMgv8q5TQRrlMnSlod7nq6hNLtj80j144sDvIH7jwQ-uFe7CQMsGHNbzCGVAQKlTaHm7rlfLXV1eMI5MeQ2J7GUEWIBn448Js7QwnF0p92rpUkGRH82G1n-K5qJvP1reIWwCaUeBi72s8xMo0slOqkafp_sBWZEakc0Fe65HekTw77cJ2i4boEVptI_6kLtEZyWv-vI0GYKn0O71PcT_CJ0iv6W6SUQum4lzyBZfEnqZwPdT3PJkXzW8_aiYo_d6GXSfjZq_NtasrgOJLhzHBA87U6VRCHlOFwlr7zHl45YmctQ7c6sYLSofGjUVcdDCjwhnY3aWOZqpIuOrqam14eTcUh3iA_IXwX_B9cusaMhaR-WyT1WiKJ0hIULOg4lpv8kti_R3cREImwpd9fpzbB=w1250-h834-no
Well, the broccoli leads me to believe that this isn’t really your plate, but it makes the point very nicely.

It also illustrates to me that I might (just might) need to give this venue a second chance.
When we tried it a while back, all of the meats were overdone, completely lacking in any succulence and honestly, all tasted as if the same rub was used on each and so lacked any variety (other than the varying levels to which they reminded me of saw dust). Combine that with the fact that while I love shrimp, I despise peeling them, and all I thought about the place was that it was expensive.

I know that kind’a review can get me banned form the boards, but that was our experience.

"Hey, Frank, can you bake a cake for us?"

"Nah...just take this bread and dump some syrup on it. It's the same thing."
Well, yeah…
Cinnabon makes a killing selling bread with syrup dumped on it.
And it’s also the proper recipe for authentic French (and Tonga) Toast.

So strike one is that it wasn’t pie.
Now, I can’t argue with that logic
(but as we’ve discussed, I have a more expansive definition of pie)

Bananas are basically the Anti-Bacon.
No…
Tofu is the anti-Bacon

Artificial Banana Favoring is, however, a very close second.
But I’ll agree that there are many things to which even real bananas ought not be added.

I thought I could do a really effective pantomime of this guy, but for some reason Sarah objected. I don’t know what her problem was.

Fg2bqJihs3vckiI7eTMW-GwdGd51n0HpXVJuruZbD4Gx4KebfBmBGycfxn5DxnfaYADzqDwdyrSdqmW5oGqBqFx0SpBoSB5Y983WotxhvNJ9-WVCQ3SRu5Nkk_4fRtTGsNl7EfPhrFYVl3X1-LYAcdY6-KcUHXKgCJMDx0YxqVwZFOrXPiJyC-UFpNh35xKMAXCc-Nbr9NDjYoDTzoxvcwlzu1efAHW8x3on6w6qQmIKw77-IXQWu4M5iD5_t8ceTRRGQvClkbLgAkAJ2F4lTd206TZSZxeKKJgN9P0G2QJ5UpxsIjJ1kBvaOgvyC6ELgF7BCR-3YRsvcwAL0H-rFkEXjwSsV5QZRDm7FsCW83YW1vLdFsGKCsP1iBY_FOh_9zbTr8fGtOMcOoKEXVnf72jvZN3FZhhixzHQCN9tv8I84WHXq7pwZC7eIBZXKoV4nsvN5gt7Z5V01fHqzPU5gl-dpXLg0eBwntfAspu2fhpeFjaX6uH-Q4fIZPPUuWkk6UhIfYg219ek_s44bu46DsR7G8W-8-6ez6cmcU7NmblEtka7cGyGdMx-917aMxq4MYZWazbB6hGy5GyuJHmxgG_5wWlQan_AcIa7u4aW=w570-h854-no
Sorry…
Looks normal to me so I’m clueless as to the cause of her reaction here.

The Poly beach was a favorite spot of ours for years to watch the show until they built the new DVC bungalows out in the water and took away most of the view.
And that’s a bit of a shame.

Basically they’ve done what most real estate developers do…
Converted “the view” into an exclusive privilege of wealth
Makes sense from a profit angle though.

Once we enter Disney property, our family usually enters a type of fugue state in which we are determined to maximize the value of every second and dollar spent there.
Isn’t this just normal human behavior?

I broke that maxim only once when it was just me and the missus.
(That was a wonderful trip)

I ended up taking one for the team and driving Drew back to the cabin to put him in bed, while Julie took the big kids for a monorail ride and was left to figure out the Disney transportation system on her own to get back there.
Both an adventure to be sure.
Very different types of adventure, but adventures no the less.

I think it involved a monorail, a boat, and the internal Fort Wilderness bus system. Maybe two buses.
I’d diagram it for you, but I don’t have a big enough flowchart.
And…
Having done a couple of those monumental trips is why I now prefer do the driving myself in most situations. There are exceptions (especially when the trip is part of the attraction), but in general, I want to be in charge of the course and speed when possible.

Coming Up Next: Typhoon Lagoon! Or “Mickey’s Pool”, as Drew called it.
So, which young’en do you feed to the sharks this time around?

What a nice way of putting it!
And to think that all these years I’ve just settled for allowing folks to call me a stupid idiot…

Well, bless your heart...

Well, “B” is finally starting to become more of a possibility.
So that’s a win.

Not so sure that “A” is really in your best interest though.
I ain’t near as entertaining as most of your guest commentators.

Hooray for B! As for A, I can't say anything, given the writing I'm forcing you to read.

I’ve caught up now, but I think it’s best if I just let the chapters I’ve missed go and pick back up with the most recent one. I will say though that If you get back to New Orleans do try to see the WWII museum. It’s very well done and was a highlight (among many highlights) of our short anniversary road trip.

I would very much like to see that one, for sure.

I believe that’s served at 725 5th Ave (and is rumored to be gold plated)

Munching on gold doesn't seem like an experience worth paying for.

As declared by the Department of Redundancy Department.

A part of the bureaucracy I know only too well.

The-Muppets-travel-by-map-a.jpg

So long as it wasn’t the train coming from the other direction.

Of course, haveing a train coming up from behind can also be an excellent motivator in terms of getting everyone moving forward on the arduous journey ahead.

We'd all rather just be on the train.

I know how I’m usually perceived.
And “interesting” isn’t quite the word that generally gets bandied about

Always makes me think of Bugs Bunny. "Such INteresting people doing INteresting things..."

We have one of those committees too…
Problem is…

It’s me.

Well, that should make it easy to get things approved!

So long as it wasn’t located in Flamingo

That should have been firebombed off the map by now.

Heck, it’s no longer true for a group of only two or three.
Lord help y’all.

So we go just every once in a while. That's ok.

Hello pot, my name’s kettle.

Yea, that’s a bit unfair to the value spots, but they’ll get their revenge on us. I doubt we could even afford them anymore without some serious special offer or windfall being tossed into the mix. We’ve been splitting on-site with off-site accommodations about half-n-half for a while now and if we go back, it will likely be stayin’ entirely off-site at this point (pay checks haven’t been increasing at quite the same rate as the prices for quite some time).

I'm sure I would have no problem staying in the Values if I got a really good deal. I wouldn't be in the room much, anyway. But if I'm going only once every several years, and I know going in that it's going to be pricey no matter what...then I'll pick a nicer theme for the resort.

I don't blame people for staying off-site to save money. You can certainly get a much better value that way.

Have yet to do that one.
Would like to, just not sure how.

It's really a great place for a family of 6.

Pup…
When I was a kid living in that area, WDW was just wet lands and pine forest; we went there just to play with the rocks and sticks.

And we liked it!

But were the mosquitoes as bad as Flamingo?

Better than my penchant for breaking things that aren’t fixable…

I just can't take you anywhere.

If I remember correctly, his credit card is circulating somewhere up in the Boston area, so he didn’t have it to offer. It was kind of him to lift someone else’s transponder for y’all, though.

Lots of tourist vehicles to choose from down there.

Such a lovely sight…

::yes::

Do believe I wasted my time reading it back then.
(But I’d consider repeating the process)

I can't ask you to waste it again. That's just cruel and unusual.

Unless you’re one of those folks that would never go to Disney.
I pity them…

They go to the beach every year, but they're not what you would call a "beach family".

That insight alone should make this TR eligible for a Nobel Prize.
(especially considering how devalued these have become of late)

If I ever receive a Nobel, look to the skies for the end is near!

Here we go with you and maps again…
Did you choose to make the trip by way of the Yukon?

Well, it was only 6 inches away on the globe.

Or on their head, for that matter…

miFcDKUwOtQZwE3OklOknSvhrHfpN5tY9eQDNbJgpL4Hl6teiv7PJTjrPobR1QGj1MV4XJYd3s1E40J575y8AdI-9tbOOpAH3_ddLQliJg2JaPL1nMdC4YmFJw4J3wVgEvVA8dBPscDjDF6URKYDrkoNMmYO6rXz2oYm6NvHqx0lenwHkGwK3xU5CGsyMuEzJRF1jTmqU-e6TwVvXv6iUCSH-CbtQan0zW0oRgacGNUUk1077PQVtKdkgZKsgUC7n4cITclCOwrwDTDWhAv4SC6tQm4E44YPUeJt6epDxhTfOFsx8bvEiBFvvqle7rlTpRDxoJ9TxM6-3RTgxBwTSQ1xqX6kLrRAyb7zpS9BAo-NFjviz-TiOb3ZMnoXq6wizT1r0Ep61azc21o5bQaCDtqxO1luZaVtt-Q24lt86W1UC7E21TPNI50rZVmBM7xAlxXp4aln3FIHrsDx5ODsUl5trgeA3z82RGV1FfzrR2_4irtshWx4VJBYWEQys4goxZng2VQUqKx46-Fzq8cXpeU69wRrP5MldSYckKKsbC8v0jBto85j1qkBGkSk46ISpVIBwN6WmIkID6gjHdMiOfQCDMNwP9kDdNxqBjI=w568-h852-no

I’ll wait to see what you think before I risk being tossed out of the DDC for commenting on this.

It's possible to have a bad experience anywhere.

Agreed.
They both had their strong points and I’ll miss the older version from a nostalgic point of view, but the new arrangement is very inviting, suits Disney’s current trends in styling cues and offers more light and space in what has over time become a vastly more crowded experience.

I had heard the old waterfall was kind of a maintenance nightmare, too. Good place to grow mold.

Count your’ blessings.
My kid stopped even allowing us to take any type of photos better than a decade ago.

:sad2:

I subscribe to the theory that they’re a curse wished upon you by your parents.
Both views still effectively ensure the continuation of the species, though.

My dad likes to say kids are God's way of teaching you how not to be selfish.

What amazes me is when I read about someone for whom the strategy worked.
I wouldn’t dream of putting myself so far above everyone else
(and that’s precisely why I’ll never be wealthy or successful)

Well, every so often a blind squirrel finds a nut.

You might also suggest that they pack sandwiches and a map locating all the water fountains.

At some point, you just have to wish them well. And hope they learn from their mistakes.

And that’s the inarguable up side.

Mmmm..meat.

And Jeff is right.

Except…
When the folks doing the roasting do not understand the concept of “done”
Meat that is “well done” is most certainly not well done.
(and having unlimited amounts of it, don’t make it better)

All you can do is call it as you see it. For every person who prefers their meat still mooing and dripping blood, there is one who likes it burnt into shoe leather. I don't care for either extreme.

Yes, yes it does.
And in my family we’ve always used the “three times worse than you” variant of the curse.

That one works just as well.

Oooh, I need to try that one!

The Ambrosia of Modern American Childhood…

Shockingly, Scotty and Drew aren't big on it.

Whoops…
Go back and check you math.
You may need to carry another toe ‘cause I think you’re underestimating the total outlay here.

I was going for a nice round number.

Or at least an iPhone.

(And truth be told, I suspect that they keep a massive caldron of the stuff bubbling away at all of their signature restaurants, so it wasn’t like they went out of their way to offer up the option. Myself, I think that they should consider allowing kids the choice of this dish at a reasonable secondary price to encourage the frustrated parents to try some of the finer dining establishments more often.)

Now that would be a perfectly sensible way to handle things. So it'll never happen.

Vacation mode?
I thought that was just standard yopung’en mode.

Not if I have anything to say about it! Which I don't.

Well, the broccoli leads me to believe that this isn’t really your plate, but it makes the point very nicely.

It also illustrates to me that I might (just might) need to give this venue a second chance.
When we tried it a while back, all of the meats were overdone, completely lacking in any succulence and honestly, all tasted as if the same rub was used on each and so lacked any variety (other than the varying levels to which they reminded me of saw dust). Combine that with the fact that while I love shrimp, I despise peeling them, and all I thought about the place was that it was expensive.

I know that kind’a review can get me banned form the boards, but that was our experience.

Nobody seems to believe me about the broccoli. I'm hurt.

I am not big on shrimp or seafood to begin with. Peeling shrimp was definitely annoying, so I didn't partake too much (hence no "shrimp wall" for the DIS Dads). But I did eat a couple. Mostly tasted like chicken. Anyway, I was very happy with the chicken and beef portions and all of the side dishes.

Well, yeah…
Cinnabon makes a killing selling bread with syrup dumped on it.
And it’s also the proper recipe for authentic French (and Tonga) Toast.

Weirdly, I'm happy to eat French Toast for breakfast, but don't like bread pudding as a dessert.

Now, I can’t argue with that logic
(but as we’ve discussed, I have a more expansive definition of pie)

Pie is better, period.

No…
Tofu is the anti-Bacon

Artificial Banana Favoring is, however, a very close second.
But I’ll agree that there are many things to which even real bananas ought not be added.

Bananas are fine on their own. I'd just prefer to keep them that way.

Tofu is just an abomination.

Sorry…
Looks normal to me so I’m clueless as to the cause of her reaction here.

Must've been a full moon that evening.

And that’s a bit of a shame.

Basically they’ve done what most real estate developers do…
Converted “the view” into an exclusive privilege of wealth
Makes sense from a profit angle though.

There's a lot of that going on at WDW. It's extremely off-putting.

Isn’t this just normal human behavior?

I broke that maxim only once when it was just me and the missus.
(That was a wonderful trip)

I don't know that everyone tries to maximize the value of their time and money. Judging from all the waste I see going on, anyway.

Both an adventure to be sure.
Very different types of adventure, but adventures no the less.

It's all about the experience.

And…
Having done a couple of those monumental trips is why I now prefer do the driving myself in most situations. There are exceptions (especially when the trip is part of the attraction), but in general, I want to be in charge of the course and speed when possible.

I definitely like driving to the parks (when I can park for free). It saves a lot of time and headache. I don't know that it helps much at the Magic Kingdom, though. The ferry/monorail really slows you down.

So, which young’en do you feed to the sharks this time around?

Disney took care of that problem for me!

I can't say anything, given the writing I'm forcing you to read.

If only it were that easy…

Always makes me think of Bugs Bunny. "Such INteresting people doing INteresting things..."
Gossamer would agree with you.

SilentHealthyAfricanbushviper-max-1mb.gif

On second thought…
Maybe not.

Well, that should make it easy to get things approved!
One would think, wouldn’t one?

And yet, that’s generally not the case.

That should have been firebombed off the map by now.
Current intelligence reports indicate that the target was neutralized.
But the mosquitos were unfazed and simply moved to the next nearest location

But were the mosquitoes as bad as Flamingo?
They took the top billings at all the local Wrestlemania events.
Gorgeous George never stood a chance.

I just can't take you anywhere.
Weird…
It’s as if you were channeling my wife just then (and my mother too).

They go to the beach every year, but they're not what you would call a "beach family".
We go to the beach every year (sometimes twice or more), but we still get called “that Disney family”.

(Well, by those that bother to call us, at least).

If I ever receive a Nobel, look to the skies for the end is near!
Like I said…
Its importance has been a mite tarnished as of late.

Yep…
That’s the image.

I had heard the old waterfall was kind of a maintenance nightmare, too. Good place to grow mold.
I can see that.
The change was inevitable.

My dad likes to say kids are God's way of teaching you how not to be selfish.
Thus, my less then successful attempts at getting things past the budget committee I actually chair.

Well, every so often a blind squirrel finds a nut.
But it’s much more often that monsters are rewarded.

Well, maybe not so for Gossamer, but in general…
As long as they aren’t having to contend with Buggs…
Then, yeah, they get rewarded…

Shockingly, Scotty and Drew aren't big on it.
That is a smidgen surprising.
Our young’en (ok, growed-up youhg’en), is a connoisseur of the stuff and won’t tolerate poorly made variations (he was spoiled by being raised on his mom’s acclaimed recipe for the dish, so that level of pickiness is understandable.)

Now that would be a perfectly sensible way to handle things. So it'll never happen.
Not while there’s profit to be made otherwise.

Not if I have anything to say about it! Which I don't.
Welcome to Fatherhood.

Pie is better, period.
On that, we’re in total agreement.

Tofu is just an abomination.
And I do believe that has already been declared as a Man Law.

There's a lot of that going on at WDW. It's extremely off-putting.
Nice bit of understatement, there.

I definitely like driving to the parks (when I can park for free). It saves a lot of time and headache. I don't know that it helps much at the Magic Kingdom, though. The ferry/monorail really slows you down.
Tend to be in agreement on the overall benefits at MK.
The thing about driving to the TTC that kind’a makes up for it is that the monorails and ferries are basically the same as an attraction (to me at least) so I don’t mind the lost time as much. Certainly not as much as I mind standing on a seriously crowded soft-suspension bus (with two scooters loaded on for good measure).

The monorails are a bit of an exception amongst all of the transportation options. Whether it’s the ability to transfer between MK and Epcot, or taking the Resort Loop to enjoy the nibbles, views and booze on offer, they are a major part of the entire Disney experience.

Disney took care of that problem for me!
Pixie dust all around!

Yikes. Be careful. Conditions like that are no joke.

I know.

Also good points. It's nice to leave daily responsibilities behind and go to a place where, for the most part, things work like they're supposed to and you don't have to worry.

Yes! That's it!

We have some little air mattresses we use in the hotel rooms, but even those get old after a couple of days.

I know. Okay for a day or two, but...... eventually...

Put 'em in another kids' backpack!:thumbsup2

:laughing: There ya go!

Gotcha. I think I just gave up on justifying expenses at Disney World, period.

Good point.

Looks like Liesa and me are votes against, and Alison is a vote for. Do with that what you will. I was the same as you, though--not generally a fan to begin with.

Just one of those things where someone has raved... so I want to try. I'll form my own opinion if/when.

Which is great and all, but he was 13 years old, so he got charged the adult rate for O’hana. Which is in the neighborhood of $50. He wouldn’t try anything else from the dinner. So, if I do the math...

...hang on, let me get my socks off...

...carry the one...

...That made it a $50 bowl of mac-and-cheese.

I'm pretty sure I would have stuffed a piece of meat down his throat out of principle. that way the meat cost $45 and the Mac & cheese was only $5. The one good thing is that the mac and cheese from Kona (which is where I'm assuming they got it) is really good.

I actually hadn't thought about this before -- but damn that is a tough pill to swallow. I definitely won't be going there with my kids when they get older.

I get that a lot.

If only it were that easy…

Well, have you ever tried it?

Gossamer would agree with you.

SilentHealthyAfricanbushviper-max-1mb.gif

On second thought…
Maybe not.

Nice. Not too many people would get that reference.

One would think, wouldn’t one?

And yet, that’s generally not the case.

So your Budget Committee is run by a sensible person with restraint? That's rare territory indeed.

Current intelligence reports indicate that the target was neutralized.
But the mosquitos were unfazed and simply moved to the next nearest location

I totally believe this. Worse than roaches.

They took the top billings at all the local Wrestlemania events.
Gorgeous George never stood a chance.

No one stands a chance against those monsters.

Weird…
It’s as if you were channeling my wife just then (and my mother too).

Didn't mean to bring up past trauma.

We go to the beach every year (sometimes twice or more), but we still get called “that Disney family”.

(Well, by those that bother to call us, at least).

Those that don't get it, will never get it.

Like I said…
Its importance has been a mite tarnished as of late.

It would still be a step up from my participation trophies.

Yep…
That’s the image.

It will forever be a classic.

Thus, my less then successful attempts at getting things past the budget committee I actually chair.

Well...it sounds like it's at least building character.

But it’s much more often that monsters are rewarded.

Well, maybe not so for Gossamer, but in general…
As long as they aren’t having to contend with Buggs…
Then, yeah, they get rewarded…

Sounds like we need to call in Bugs, then.

That is a smidgen surprising.
Our young’en (ok, growed-up youhg’en), is a connoisseur of the stuff and won’t tolerate poorly made variations (he was spoiled by being raised on his mom’s acclaimed recipe for the dish, so that level of pickiness is understandable.)

An excellent homemade recipe will usually ruin you for the store-bought stuff. Goes for just about anything. As for my younger boys...:confused3

Not while there’s profit to be made otherwise.

Welcome to Fatherhood.

On that, we’re in total agreement.

Now I want pie.

And I do believe that has already been declared as a Man Law.

I'm sure we've had that conversation before.

Nice bit of understatement, there.

Well, it's not like I'm canceling my trip or anything.

Tend to be in agreement on the overall benefits at MK.
The thing about driving to the TTC that kind’a makes up for it is that the monorails and ferries are basically the same as an attraction (to me at least) so I don’t mind the lost time as much. Certainly not as much as I mind standing on a seriously crowded soft-suspension bus (with two scooters loaded on for good measure).

The monorails are a bit of an exception amongst all of the transportation options. Whether it’s the ability to transfer between MK and Epcot, or taking the Resort Loop to enjoy the nibbles, views and booze on offer, they are a major part of the entire Disney experience.

I agree that it's basically another attraction for our family. It's not a Disney trip for us until we've had a monorail ride.

I know. Okay for a day or two, but...... eventually...

That's why the kids have to deal with it. Their backs can handle it better.

Just one of those things where someone has raved... so I want to try. I'll form my own opinion if/when.

Totally valid. Hope you enjoy it more than I did.

I'm pretty sure I would have stuffed a piece of meat down his throat out of principle. that way the meat cost $45 and the Mac & cheese was only $5. The one good thing is that the mac and cheese from Kona (which is where I'm assuming they got it) is really good.

I actually hadn't thought about this before -- but damn that is a tough pill to swallow. I definitely won't be going there with my kids when they get older.

Yeah, I think I should have set the expectations better ahead of time.

That's why the kids have to deal with it. Their backs can handle it better.

Yep. They bounce back.
I don't bounce.
I land with a resounding thud.

Totally valid. Hope you enjoy it more than I did.

Funny you should mention that. I had to take my youngest out for lunch today and they had it on the menu. I tried it. Liked it too!

Yep. They bounce back.
I don't bounce.
I land with a resounding thud.

Also, we're paying for the room, so we get the bed.

Funny you should mention that. I had to take my youngest out for lunch today and they had it on the menu. I tried it. Liked it too!

Glad to hear it!:thumbsup2

Nope...
Just by the one that keeps the books (nothing reasonable about it).

Well, that's no fun.

Wait...
You got trophies?

partipant3.jpg

That's what we do!

Chapter 15: The One Where We Finally Don’t Have To Do Any Crazy Driving

Pop Tarts taste better on Disney property.

I didn’t say they taste good; I just said they taste better when consumed after waking up in a Disney resort.

Today was our Typhoon Lagoon day, and everyone was pretty excited to goof off in a waterpark all day long. We’d last visited Typhoon Lagoon during our surprise trip in 2012—that was the day I abandoned my daughter in a pool full of sharks. But everyone seemed to have recovered enough over the following years that they were willing to give it another go.

We had some time to kill before the park opened (at 10:00 a.m.), so we decided to give Drew a Disney ride he was sure to love: we drove to Epcot to give him a spin on the monorail.

KOWMcpdFdkpWYZogopLpRVvZxZ8KXIexChzyKprr5tmwaW6gITa1NOVpKliX-WNJpqoE_Z-Gmusee6Zrccaz_ZcFjwrll38j-8gNHW7CG0sP2QYec-JQEHq26mAnwveHNOgXx-juZQRluNExj8LO_F1Ai-LqFO5rtVvJkDIbyWU4QP_uHKIZEo2CWZg1fDZmtgWtPwTtkOP45Ifzgte_0DIuZfl8r_HcRZtPLy9iNqGfv41LG7eVUTuQbX4NgHUWPcpqUoeFv4zbEt5FWwyBS8hoKn7iIA86KRs4tCHKKaUBW3PfGRpHDXVNs4xJoP3eOdnN_Z64J6TbyOiz2O0Tyo_RWuw2EZxabXiSo3cKB3rlD1RozUa9OsDQNj08LTFvrRbsl7XXippELZdg9y-CdD_YCEbX-G1AZXGH5VkKjPAbvMo3c1vy7LvT_ha-GmCJK9_nmXBhCo0cnYbwtGTA2lhMLoUwt4dvmyPGclvL3jzXexbjgwRtz4VzuSk4Z0qTehZrd_LgQBQerKhfaPZep2OWwC2_I_Ln0Jd-ssgzmAeUcibGJpM3ajtE_0QqluLh4s7fKEbGAbCQTjYwLdNx4u_SeP0pEk3YRm2zByTu=w1240-h827-no

They were re-paving the Epcot parking lot at the time so we ended up having to park a good distance away from the entrance. When we arrived at the gates, we had to go through the security line, which thankfully was much shorter than the line receiving those who had arrived via the buses and monorail. Seems like a good time to make a mental note for the future, because that other security line was insanely long.

Having determined that we posed no danger to the public at large (Heh, suckers!), they let us through and we headed up the ramps to the monorail station.

aaSllfR7Tv-lUd7_J4-d0-_yDaDzelrEc9V3MJIMITY5befSmbQn2FXFnZ6zOZz_nifH7hhvdNXu8ffxwSbW4dBUmPR6yjhLV341hpesUy3rEU6GI6WAVoH-tZMyfv5McX_axWtNQGWmmFYy_GtC9CiRwyvg3RNuo3vjgjpgLA0xeGtxiBh2Eh-UDFpn6Zj73H4Q6ZCI6VaGaI-FtNK1pDxllsjX0BFpd0bJrociCKuKvqOvQL-L4SbKAs-Set0q-thtCLAiRmJXSCNXBIsKnvOfqgTA6B7CZzYJcadvW9WMdPDPf1UGXpEL1vRXGvRsFzM342s_TlTK4pe7g_xMzqD9o8q9DAF-bOJp8xvkigMsczCmQWWZoHLkcCHM9MTXBFdogZqEtJ9smlsQnz6cNgFBCkv41fOuKlxRw5Rlsn7hgNOJf__VEqbwFUNzWEhMhvvPlQ3G0Jmm-rU_Vm1L0oI8zoxF-v9C2vN5noOdXAzkVzlzrs6LEw3n1Wz4UGtDz6wx8RvwGlE5CJxbftPzNL8hueLV0qJXk-4gJvpATmqn7OStN6K3HqWQfanXK1h_ralYqpskfdfBle-yoW2nKU8sPQcAPy6OcZ4TOGvO=w1240-h827-no

Drew was the perfect age to fall in love with the Disney monorail. I think every little boy does.

He was pretty quiet through most of the ride, actually. I think it was one of those circumstances where he might have been a little overwhelmed (I’M RIDING A MONORAIL!!!) and was taking it all in.

_ETa8l9KEETnYB4WLpDq_90wrk9FMqQEgvoJronEnlsFjcDbM7t1QPp3YHyNMdC57Nv26eJUTqrVOFXXlSobVrnD_Vd0vBjnWbpFkX-rRNX8K9zF_4-uG3RZMMapIKkvMgr_lHCgN7JC91KT_sn86TxWRMFZGwNNWoj46R55VYLt1SaVGDvuXOXjtEFuatzza6vrZT_xTC8LxqnRHHJWQVI6YMzQQfEJ9iKP79cOnPUsepaCM8gCgYPu6tnNL_T1tg46IM-txTx0aes-YRsSWCI5ULEBACPC7-mNNBi9BCFa2-GMXfpRyV2AUYaKJgkIt0fNlI2L4UtiLhPoflCdd847roICcTK_TP8C1wtdkW6MXu-qvTwW6idpno6gAGYntYNVQ3W0KDdsFil0fvN5ZZt9NBDMXTbQaQMt4MordTPZLobdmrSZz3_2fu44_SXRtRzzJwh_kRjyWlIJ390tNkFXA501L4GCjYKSQH_GoZL_pdKxXtdhQKSVc_b0pLJlY-XD5ClrR1NihwC8X488JGhAS_XasjxsUx7NUjOmFtfyuXQwsYTNmdjQDURVgGwt4LUZmli4dsU4FcOmLGPvmMeWUH2er9rdkuyYNBoR=w568-h852-no

I mean, look at the sheer joy on this face!

htmF50PxGfqIqUELGSxcwsQ8Wurcko4VvDi7NINIlCcwiS5zwZ94aHkVFxibRtCLGGR7D5EWzgci8FPyUnRkoWaqCIxtSbTC0LugG6Tfy6b7eU4dzl_txcwUMnNtr8hHZCCb-w6PMvwlX4cOPvSCTt2mHHKQVnZRmWYO8-BCW_RPD9X5L5s3nSJfgtpvDxaDVxdOcv_sC-NTYuYJ8o4qvJbMLqiN7_Hi7utpOjLuDFFPj6DuCg44rZ4McpoERBkv8zZA0zAJ9MH-cJa5FuXKPi8A8qzgsz5j1O6LRAk4DoYTJ1vnl4TWKzXbCS5WnyhYFqZ9VMRNUo_7Apj8pfpBjguq6jDoA965ZD7sgy0PXKO6XosCDnG1rc07bxYtJ2Oo9DCo9N1utJ6joQ6gUfo0dlY-dwgkZB-1oMqbcz30lr3fPXC2o5qOfVX_XdLu1aHMjApYGV1mbPwUC5Nx06DSAHP4EIK-exJ2JYJIXReS8crWEBdLBoiP84mUy1IzBDOfwa6VCs8PGLAYTIxIOx1iTW7gL46WFFX1CobCUynpj2HAMjTZF9tY6tt7dMxmTo5jPZlFyNoycagZB2lz61ihdAEThl6qIcUcna-qpAks=w1240-h827-no

Ok, I don’t recall what that was about. At some point, he switched seats and might have been upset that somebody else was in the seat he wanted or something. I’m sure it was important. Anyway, if you ask him now, he’ll tell you that the monorail is his favorite ride at Disney World.

He also likes running through wide-open spaces.

tPxSVSxPHY2eusm_Pe_orzUm3dCpEfhzwQBvd3v0p8yMz6yNpGmoEHVr4XtoBrAMEtHom3yl2LwLkIMHfu6La9PMeilTRO3ky7WxmzD7eK2ZPERNbD2ZrFFefmo_Emei_y0YNKWbBCj9_tKwpxlrHkm_kpX7gfhZ0mWNR9cGmuKKdqvPessfNSTVbUPgoVDjDlpYx-rkDDUhHev3ooQi4RvGlKbtTe6iygGhgq_fMtuU4RYDfVw7s1Z4FIZeTYgjRV2b58Yz1Mrp_oHgpI7XPePinf2MHJ9STQ4t6kYN1saGwuF6Ntdx8ZXG-1t22XI1T7FDBMy64TyGVd-VqSIpbebJ-FWmnoFkwpDUUCaR-BUZJox2SnWK6tj7Lnmzd2TccMRxk6xmni-OiVrHbfxhYZt3fbzTHvtHxnsw6x_7sadR8TtmdoI9Ag0-4Qdr5g18USHzupU7CyOy7nsDKThyCFV1g-nmtRxt98T9cTKbNvD-E_n_VGTqHIbK_PNkWzQKvt5qDVlBnVxlDTU-RrQ1ZNjB1TcB6ggVfk4OTT5J0D9qt2b6JIhYYUMYAxzkak4hiwyHqKowwwwyDWggzDFRXHfkVfsR7qhJ53eEnWnC=w1240-h827-no

I don’t like running at all, so instead of chasing him, I go with the futile Half-Hearted Yelling After Him technique. It doesn’t work well.

Now it was time for the main event.

K1LKKVaVgLABM1_JDYrejTN80syZsCnm1o__EpzNFmrCpSdTWzoYkWh2GjwnbkcXUtSF0_l0XF11j-ZtyeQzehS1JQqbYZQn0rw9UTq6WmlkrbpFMUBDSOOhWNa7Kvpp-vrgBm3oNn5_r1kH-ycjmKt5Of6JdVosIvy5t1HV626xbOZoW6Sa6z587zoia_0MRqIxq2yW1bZod5JJQ2oMKanJBUZ99EumsCNDDaIETQP_BRJfSTliFeUn1_gjVf_P9r8Z9FPhqwsXutTNx4kOB1c3C9n-YfV3reWPrgJ80J60hjNwD3-mvsHJVnSc0W1K4FJop2ke1FjxJGbMyH3MFT51qyzvp3pOi9z51sC6NVOLiOcyPWuUV-s0bSLJqYENuSIt_biau6WgRXtVngQtrjZ-kKaz3raiA2mOwNZosvBBfbqC4IFDzMQ3bG9KM5SiQ5HI9WY7PuEIcrEjmJCnJBPEuxKLpmTemg7PfmyP5uJyiAP3IitZmByEUeFY4d9PMMp9Aaq-ucDyNb_ZS45Yi1kWo7_WjQ-nqmuys7V8QbWMIHjTjlb9mF7DNtNksxuSHcwSCyeNwKwaP5lpYZDKu7VCH9YnY3xn4CoJYKt5=w1240-h827-no

In my opinion, Typhoon Lagoon is better than Blizzard Beach. This mostly has to do with the main attraction. Typhoon Lagoon has the Crush 'n Gusher, a fantastic water coaster, while Blizzard Beach has the Summit Plummet--a long slide with a huge drop, straight down. Considering how much I hate drops on roller coasters, this is kind of a no-brainer for me. But given the lines I typically see for the Summit Plummet, I don't get the value of waiting 30-60 minutes in line for what is essentially a 4-second slide.

Another reason I prefer Typhoon Lagoon is the theme--the lush tropical theme is gorgeous here. Whereas all the fake snow at Blizzard Beach is a neat idea for a story, but the reflection of the sun can make it hurt your eyes after a while.

vgH-_CIZnoptyla4qzXUm4hIg1vSf6aJMe8YFLFPf6iGEFIBoaVXDwGcXCpiD92FB92c7XLZhnQQEIZryWqaQadMflIMNDWoP2o-fefFkgZVIqnH9qMq1ExY1higZ8AdIpk6GHozvgMiKpQacH5VAjsn_xhSVnec4xn2vgD0I2B6CdBa_qvHLdYI607jlCAee2RnrJfS-f-npva3DqbpybGKiqKrwsqkViv942efpUie_RCqJEoBRRpgWilKhOn-AJwUYI71N2dBtei6TCCYMGQe5w7sJsf5ozrLR0U0LoVDoe02W-KMUqDKJOjzm0RqBd8y3knHiX_pjTMS_ueZmhLcmxe098boWkyW9KaR2JwuhehNeZdzmW6HSE-6sN8kFNBEoK1UMe4elhuKa70vvHCmF9pRIGZoGoexYbxs_C4K1FYsWu5byMcZwZ_G5doryxTKrXc95bjcEY0ti0sXAcP-_mOs9M6ViKDFMB9ojI7q5O1N49p87A9MAS2KAk5_QVq0ctmbL9nD6daKwKgXtIoaJ294M614DE6DAXgPF5DOx911tKzK8HgCtVKH6wPXsgEEvJEnCjhABYsZFElT-pNKh-GeJXGR0GPKnuMS=w1136-h852-no

We got there right when the park opened, so we had no trouble renting lockers, getting changed into swim suits, and finding a couple of lounge chairs on which to leave our towels, etc. It appeared that the Rope Drop technique was back in working order.

For our first order of business, we decided to tackle Miss Adventure Falls. This was the newest attraction at Typhoon Lagoon, so we’d figured it would probably attract the longest line. And indeed, there was already a line when we got there, but it only took us about 15-20 minutes to get to the front.

Miss Adventure Falls is a family raft ride, although they can only put 4 adults in the raft at a time so we had to take 2 rafts. The slide is the longest waterslide in Disney. Our question was, how would Drew react? Would he love it, or get freaked out?

77XY8aRhbjV7XHShSjORcECwDZQiGMc4HS1wX8Zjcs_zAZb5FSYeUagqIHeLBuRW0V8eNa-fw6XtmglpFFhgoC9mfhEVwdsmuxyys2CJ7xudnD-CmgxctYn5cC52CzwZn7O4FOc44FcbvLjU8O43zyPT0VhZ9JXc6XmBmTPaX4ZxhvCzS10OhkUfhn1x13a5HqtfzGSSx90mHjHm53mk-ncoAnkQPhfiIN99WzfUrBmPDl1OLdttKPmMXk3DZyQFA523zMa-cLbArenVxBBaRQySbsUwVGtUkVqraltEYOFGH0n0osyM358uIuAGkRo5DJGmUYTtBCLDYA_qnsZuLiUUGhyaM6i3oKHKdMFXP8y5Mt1NMMGrHOZCIaZdRT1-gEuwUz4P5pQ4WGDROG_3jRHY6jIbs7pA_0Wbt2ot5UUVgqvfIiAUJP6N3vuACOg_hqwx9ngM4HTQi16Xhl7boT36mC4hdBqUQijqmKPwIO66K1yiEfDkDhAPmk4_O6cazaVluaPdO3NfKR2QSgrYSmgxo0E3NChbopAbyn3b-JxOk97ItE3ysx-nE4uPmxLmhfy9yHktlGkitR3nlNCN_mrXJJYWmj5I9f8RhHWi=w1136-h852-no

As it turns out, it’s a really fun waterslide. As you can see from the photo, Disney FINALLY learned to have a lift system so they don’t have to force people to carry their own rafts up the stairs to the top of the slide, a problem that plagues the other slides here.

Drew looked worried as we went over the edge and into a tunnel at the top. But this is where peer pressure can be a good thing. His older siblings made a big show of laughing and giggling the whole way down, and by the end Drew was laughing and giggling, too. Best of all, he was asking to do it again. So, we obliged.

After that, we split up. Julie is not huge on waterparks or swimming, so she volunteered to take Drew to the kids’ swim area and spend the day with him. I took one for the team and accompanied the older kids to the Crush ‘n Gusher, where we spent the next couple of hours.

ZKRO_iBY441qDn1Ryd7_ORWfGLLjnP1SQ4RXiYZy1cBkkTNHTSwvgMfxSBDEe--f2hxf3-d--9_vaN0rMdI8PBrP7SrOoDb7K0NL19JTbtIA5HTi8qHNihH3xv8EB79bywpXxKz7iV4HqbxSp0caohEvOMotFcjOXtFJ90GjOgKZcCDRz0hYQJyo-uUnOxJaTMhehqh5yo_3UmLOFSSIXG-vMJDo0f3-6NJiEyrwU1dN3dwkv8pE6golauRxrN0OarO9yJfPu9FePM3QdDSQJhy9EA4uq4TpQqZCQInOC7a0xofk103uVjpzKc7IO3MlTqRQVJNBCZZDM2UFykaQWAYrYABq3LOsmqbht1q_r4uB1fKFZMRyrs50iweDLjoIwwpI8OYFVfTyvEVTRuT79lro4QE1x7yptC07O-HtsUCtjksmsbDgQFVMDGHGgIN6yaAMh2kgJkAdEXtMs-sNIQaGMDA51oUs0TdMmD1TVFss58U6b8bdXICNq_YNV01z3cZgkdWaJKF4OQl6Y5XB_JzOgheeWLlhUzKoJMopXs0OT4dnA7-uE0PF6AW10LXs6PKb0qo6eqhLdkUlHZBgBmQycAZz4D3pwp-zY5wn=w1136-h852-no

Here’s a better photo from 2012. I like the theme, especially the farm tractor stranded on the roof.

kF6gm6HFMUXDlGAJYrLpWnaoIPE2gmBcrweeW9g0rQydOv3r4QDqYaS6enm-I0EUB-dQzap-Ruhry6F8GZ_KZTd-8-q8aZyNM7ajxWmjWS5Ztwcam-8jhZWoMewtzwXUW4ZmUIkx0XhOij1Q5husoDqTR2sjfmAvR6-9EoQugUDic1dn58ahLzB0AD_CCthBoTHq_XmBL4Il6M5rpBy9Wuitmp2V8yGa9W8D_mAdLY7uz3UvRI8_7cWXyaVNaLD3fP4jSrSzPD3_9s4FY5oLNpo-NlZGcjfDN7G-UuZg2bwsZWZfBTICi43RqNhp1zoasdyr5TXpjc-nP931xGYxnftcDHMmcKK1xGJOYwMLYnn6nzzCzvwG41hqgxWhxVKc41p7FRk3sfyU9KDRSbZh2KQWonjQMo2nIKwSo4BbBLqwrjdRtV1rtsIQD1JrToVoxNWSKtDStEHaqNzaNVF1A0Y9J0mgGo83POEHcOsIZH9xM8h22LO8ff97fn4vnjTWPxn4N1Bcn_B37HC5gD1Ng5uT0QT3oxdlOOVWgPK07HyquNyk0suGL5JHJ4s8GEtN6GbySfKh6Zj_7hopI9MjKbGrBflFbaFASowBAXeL=w1136-h852-no

For my money, the Crush ‘n Gusher is the best attraction in the waterpark. It’s a “water coaster”, which is a waterslide on steroids. The basic difference is that not only do you have water carrying you downhill at fast speeds on the slide, but there are uphill sections with jets of water that send you flying back up as well. It’s awesome. There are three separate slides here, all relatively the same, and we kept going back and riding them over and over again. We all had a great time.

Meanwhile, Drew had a blast of his own in the kiddie area. He tried out everything. Julie said he went on the kids’ little raft slide at least 20-30 times.

TRDcyxYnU4sszn_vyq9KAXGlUf8uXBdqJyeknFk9QAN7wyNE27nPG0Udeqnr2TITGDPISICwM93WoBZQUoXpixQKzke2ufKo658ml8sY57Pr2dRITMmV02Eky74xRg4WCPJRm9Cte9L8SzxHdvCFMMWDfE4Ys5B3cmotVusONtYZhGcjOA5et7liIU_bGid9J14iJfHrBnX0GHqzaxoSM0GSwHmq9bkF7F2oTcnP5A4HJcRVLpDGgLjhV7i51yiQdYvOMK75wUgVHYenvecTR_bSX4AgqdgzipNjV30Uxqfg2SC2a37I7XzH5it84VPOeJfVzflym061MRtm_xTINk17z2VH8FRpVNGE8lgPkePh5GP1RR_Dryd3s_Ify5J8BmWj5N3IkRlLmdAxDIc13EdSeOEt6mI5GnRn08s2pIf25Bce80yDACOhgKSe0aI_M3SlEd7V7wfMTHPMoV8Pf0_ZPiQ473ZvY0Ludt8I-LtjnUnpiOpyGp_uXSq_7uM1_YQ1SMmZ2z_IhpBnff0hqazUBw-cAOnZEQaQYCbESAV4ckpze6l4JxGqQ7zMdXxN1M9aURz69j7K_Sek0yzWKqu6Ps7hAiSZvT7_CSHy=w1136-h852-no

RYMk_WWhkxBlgfH-pt-WKOgYbqLCbzuJcfPLW-FMu4UTargbztlGu46nibQOl2gywj28OokiEy7vRm0RqqZzjlY52o1csiB_XZfr59TaRvgzDGyJAtyXpUI65QuiXbuHAUp2wWRATp29DFnpxMwmrAIKouNRddWqVyCqINTzdG0ihbUSTAWlfFHUQsxacD34exzhakvO2Sg8aAT4Q3MCWAlps1ON-qdjZuQ-J_Q9NIVYxd7Qy7r0u-ksocV-qtHOm1x04kkiXsOBer_uSlpNDEvzT8mHPLpFxb7V65Bqt9HdFzm9Iqc2uuntnntBPjWMcxAMIoR0eYf87SgV67zzq14dsbKOG35ogYwcU6QrrDsT9KildKC-BmRxJZiyjH2Z2oOhMexn92oAN2rM6AdpaCnpebUbCkVTscO6MXhfuf1jKJyxo8SkCajASJuAtvmIcK-4xV42m7FMqEOIWa-WK1zgcd8VusCfbl99cJaDbBUGDV88McpfLn7gTxE77kpqeBHnU2nHFoy7fREZvN6xQbpJw8VFwoLXUWY_RQx9URlvPUrhOpmm-HZVuUrbPnaVQ4L-EaB_YSn9Rw8UsUC5VfkG5ZskiD0PYiHQBvLO=w1136-h852-no

WeAGNyEO8tMacvSYKHQmTOuusLlMWtQTyFgf_cvTTl2je3oRgzFMtDB_QeeSMqeETslJDKmpxi7knCUR8CA34wDhg7YsjtcCH-ikLbZDz8zIsk31G_N9yKVBK3-RnATNBgyT-vIByRAmtwzHZUhHiE6QWihVo981lSzIdCmX23F2sENNDmVupRWUYEorCs23fWTozhLqS3x8q38S7dyA9npJy3B8RCqusofTpILYHXrvFPGra09yCBBHpWs2kM7KVx7a74Hogb7x2VwQitX4yLcN8117XBPr3egoG0tE_9K1YO1Q-6exqKCUkbR5MKg_OuzjEY087LUHelmgssfj02Ent582zQ4L_ULvBNUdm6Hmtr0PY3IzTGTXqt0H2N-X-hkua8ip_ik6BFdp4BVhCgY7ezCuxQncbEJ4gEBXakl93dy74x6reasXZSPhSGSDFniozjRYpbL8MW_F4ebRuucg8azkD9bG2zmk9ite2-P7bNnc0m8T_UnM5b0n6DnKgKc-Qh8S_UuVgnRMZYp0XxSDkAItTgeSbQ1U6-dapkaQ3KZ-r77TDVvyTwQuImBAXH-px2PtnOGqwkkX9JpDU8I-eu6QrsdYJy7aUdsU=w1136-h852-no

She even got him to take a spin all the way around the lazy river. Pretty sure they hated it.

WMEkOOVBIzw3QVkLWXkf5-Qdt8R1RYxEVVXXgAn5xz3p494esRAIFA57UfVXVocwE_ejdU39op8_tNVNNgxZgYT61YMt-kmMGMg7wftAgbDuHNdrx-jg2GZFoJEaliUU8-pPbhTDfVgfv-UKCEhS4PS9v-jxXVmTRs0RHTar2VzgM525bVZtaVNzLlalHWqHejRCWTfNEnRyL1YhD0rz4UrgokfE6hgw4HWd8KdoqV3Vu2CpdWpoAsEbA3Z2c1NJa9qEH5cTXGX6bxq6mp3QjdFxhyBMWQYYRRt6KY5wX4eEXPXG5WFiCda8LL5y6BCGmzs7yw_pyjZ8n0I3LRs9nXbOt7D8fo9u9gg58cDFNqk-pvqe-LQDAwFyQLgell-SyAzZV8X-IPV1OFIdXEZdjWxVxmchyBUpava3SnsmTPSWi4evigz2y5Ts3HfAenZen_OgzvjsKLUIpGhTtmZoY7QDLwNieDiUXdSh2U6E5Bi4Oi88ym4S7XJcLhqiQv18JObZ7IEGSoGXeyIjCuQ9vCOrgJ3cR_mZmgpwK9gl-x89x-lENmWkYT1jIAnwo6TD7nQ9ZHAdHR-kC8rXgyxNb7L_uCRzgI2lwFX3F7AX=w1136-h852-no

We had PB&J sandwiches at our lounge chairs for lunch and then took another couple of spins on Miss Adventure Falls. Then Julie took Drew back to the kiddie pool while the big kids and I took on the giant wave pool.

LfS82wQLdCHP8F8298YexT5vgiZwdn8WpN3l45I58gz9BPu8ddRmyW1cg3oLbSbW-uLHd8X2X6NpVnD0kQp0MaOtJWsY0xMgyaZAGf9GxKl_ZlJCBtyb1bbQBlrNfjIdRJbuwS9AE6Aca5jct6q83Wb-1BMvg3ayq9mmN3ahtj_DxItWwcGsbLs_Xa8MSKiJ2VpXh6yaa6sxFlQBkYAP5bk2Go055qztL7A2OrrHIx5wvdxBNe8ONeepyXR-Uk039npYLDa9qEXVD-DiWvTfyTapMmJ_NrLRdt_uDlJ-UkRt3pC2vmNMJ1vr5PeRoRuT7CEifMAV8tyTFioh0yZN808lsz3y6-qF2XffsIVTB58ax8f3hC9kASv022JI-FVQj8dXql2KQW4b8lQuD81jZCM20qJx2w_eZ2fYsZbYtFk-vMqZrwwbLI04egHfgUFJrxUwc0akX3TgmvdiQ-RkArX8eYqkNg_qwTKXHMlbujbR4vKjtntC6O8_01RPQ7LANhUlrhn3BT2IRx58gHt-kLbFm-ieTmw6PC91fnaxyp3exIcROwg2FFug5D9UfD1veTgQ2jmHXelMezR3KQlrWfIBQt06AmLyhwAyApCm=w1136-h852-no

This is the other big attraction at Typhoon Lagoon. Every 90 seconds, the machine generates a massive 6-foot wave so guests in the pool can “bodysurf”, by which I mean the wave mows down everything in its path and you’re left to gag on pool water and untangle yourself from the mass of bodies left in its wake. It’s really fun—and yes, I mean that.

Here’s another, better photo from 2012:

GHneV7s_h09jZjpILJ4GQjcse9h__TeN0KsNog5k6bqRvkfpIBYPzeu7Kyi-kdvKN_6JJAGdkVjfENjA6theiZkg1BLCnWTMJx38mGbxWECZKXWomIqCgJkSMsyzwcFGmit1EIKc_uro0rKN1eAHin7ESrEO0sIzv0zk4FXNszVS_0gc2rntlRARXpJdJGG9EfDw6U5jy54WkhxESYmzR-3mpV3CCiUcWYKIynFTYldxYzF4re2Vof5nTrYhIvgfAuYInzO5n3YO7a2CN03nyaq6hfgTq_z7U7G2Yxef1h3130WvILjEZ97ketG7qG7mO3GCR8BRnk9zVHQnITETqOGnalgcWCb_4wA9OcxA5gdjXmdXbelthi6X54JSRlGu8saY_luPjSRgbukLYzkopl8lY4N-aCyB9XtP69grOREnyZenDUpLTW_pxMssnm7Zy9J9ulem6vd9v9Wja3ob-4OxutRumZE40q70mVebcIaIYtKrILzlCe6BF1IbJDJIYLrBmScTbaqzkzv1ObTFxfqfD6kl_vSxWk1X0V2iBLLQrvjX7UfpsbmONVJHcckAHzF4IPACDperVJnaWu0WI0S4hGxoksX2ntS4fIKj=w1136-h852-no

Pro tip: wear water shoes in the wave pool. The floor is rough concrete, and it’ll tear you up something fierce if you’re not ready for it.

We spent a good deal of time here, too, just trying different versions of riding/getting mowed down/diving under the huge waves. It runs like clockwork throughout the day. You hear lots of people splashing around, then a big WHOMP as the wave is activated, followed by screams of delight/terror. Every 90 seconds. At one point, I had the kids move back, and then as the big wave came I turned my back to it and spread my arms out, King Of The World-style, and let it completely wipe me out. They seemed to get a kick out of that for some reason.

They’d closed the Swim With Sharks attraction a while back, so I didn’t get another chance to abandon my kids there. We did go over to the Storm Slides for a bit—these are just regular body slides, no raft required. But most of our time was spent between the wave pool, Miss Adventure Falls, and the Crush ‘n Gusher. We had no regrets.

I think the waterpark is exactly what we needed at that point of the trip. We’d been driving for so long, and the weather had been typically hot and humid for two straight weeks. A day to goof off and enjoy Disney was incredibly refreshing. I’m pretty sure this was everyone’s favorite day of the trip.

We got dressed in the late afternoon and made the short trip over to Disney Springs (which I still keep occasionally calling Downtown Disney). Most of the refurbishment is done at this point, and in my opinion, it looks a lot classier than the previous hodgepodge of shops and restaurants. It’s still a hodgepodge of shops and restaurants, but at least now they all look like they belong together.

zk8pCZD_9xpNV2GzbdDOLKYNiMTZDwJ2Q7-0nlD2isGtek0iHdGgIdOHQZzCkO7vNYSQV-tW0M7kznySD2Sq7FpdGSKZJ92dY6me9qpRh-PoRMTxz8nnz9fZ9uD0LUPJ0HNBT7_9aZB80EgRU_cUJKfNgwv1JWAZyhx-jPGtrtCzKGUqNujDLtw4CTrtwYc5Xwv11NCeM6A7ciYCzwEdUEUggn5R18rBhy9bAIW8uR5Teo0AN-8zVnM-HrkAotOJetpZZqIZ_ErGz_-6F6TtO1epuiJqLSV60I9zgCHCKALav-vxcMJX90eSSjwGXIq9HgYJ7vt1efH4Xp3gcsx6I5bcHuNOUS051Q8CbozGIbIsBLwisaxwML3rfcN072QeGsZZnPP9NFawBW7zYBtSwwNgeBI_FK87CtbqWrD9DViYMv4UfQ2zzxHOtXsWYhPm3YHD1kuOUFl9VQiQ1VXQvFnDZXY6lODq1AQp2cmB-kx1Y083Lr8bWS6kOajX2vGM6Gi-nUExEoC5I_svjxTRzl_fnYQOX4TS3HVSHSr1dHn-DULc6zlkiNKCLjpybBrjTvd7h3yvgOJ6J_nWKf5ycuANpdlhuYlnxhHOh4j4=w1240-h827-no

8OLFyay7mkGWCnFy0A1rEpo88rI0atPLc-8taJcGCWxuhrSgGACC2hFaquh0skpfHmsHYZJrtyog2_qv44Hke_cq0EJm3sgqno08tTEexwd0_8N-rLcYESI9hd57TDNi7Sb1zgcQBmtdJUEZaYt4KGVbiPnwqn-gidAjPQWPDxj_wl3b_lBeUY_exq0wYFIwrYIEYLRAocPa3lWVFILOeQcLx1tU9bXufzNcNCyxTvJrvSiEPySCI3WX-XFxlU3WONwjkzqJp8cDK4S24kFLDiZuKIpKicjnmA7P44jAkpV_j6B4Dxgg7kio20L4iheBBJudX9YGDy_KDvI4Eixmn5MBPfGUQJnpAHh0QAKjPs56Vy5zd4shzrmPqbzf2u9JJcybtwc7b9qZkumQbUFUEBccadG9JG9snq8s51Al0MtoSh9T-4ZjX2fUkq8ogjSZsH3krFjDY06xBtF-GpuJ9SdljaUWHevLEVVFrQNXADIa4MJ9vCtDuuMkSBKDt-uaBGzAPv0-X_t2RSTlJ7pdbysokxV2TY_Nj1ZZDfGJqC0Zl8forbBzSNeZiNei5ffm6DcdYChzbZGHOCuR33Ne0RhSX3A2_IdgE_l3jPK4=w1240-h827-no

We tried out Art Smith’s Homecomin’ for dinner that evening. There was no way I was going to avoid this place—the menu is pure comfort food. I couldn’t resist the siren call of Deep-Fried Everything.

Eb305PSftjAnsdjzIdsOhiEo9ZHNg_jbGExGoK3pHh_kfEqQYjTJ0VPwQ2oqQqO-Bvi4kp_d83_eBeoJCWZUHF83kCPlTTVv3A6IiDcBr8dY3IquvT6Z2U-J8V40hZ0p0c-lC8B1TKtwv4MCmDksKEynwOtEdDd5iTRLDHPDGKk2h-rNE5sKGFSKY0vdv2x-6yBW_Og0bFtofIWRrI0CS7wmmXeJ7z4L-XOOs3ssN75YjbsRopANbmvZpvQ-yKPvqouqucO2-_UdtUlJVfGBFpw30uNcjHjHHwQj89oBEorVmpp3T9rfaMCIPL67xyIjmcCoIr_yjzzcz0Z-S-ZjblyU7SnqHxv5nT1YCVPGGWohwnZ6PbNtul92l_xG9eTGA3cOCkB21T-OdRItJDkM4-pZPUQc_BxcwvV2TJJLDTJOMSy-i89hJA3mcjIqYxlsV1oiM9DPKssLHDhxqDn-fgnn8w5d9uAwFiuHhBdP__muaYiXXfUd783JziuceXgeEWxG5BDxeI1HjmleXaYLU1L1BdYyW4xmIklBZDLGFHDO_A-gHJU18y5dElDzd4H7Hu4MK1edWOqdW2iQhs40JvAz2KtNf2jcg0R020BZ=w1240-h827-no

We’d heard great things about the fried chicken here, so that was what everyone zeroed in on when it came time to order. In particular, they had a dish called “fried chicken and donuts”, which could have been re-named “The Captain Oblivious”. We ordered that, plus a regular fried chicken platter so we could try their mashed taters and cheddar drop biscuits. We also subbed out a mashed potato order for some skillet mac-and-cheese.

uTVLNDmMs0kFfohEru69z67NUyzGAK2UOL5C2ExcuXJvqPqYRbm67YmSVToAO3anGK2d4wUQPaS7ZyKd0dGtyKp1rEa5dZWn3piLd0WliIYV6zmeHRjAnBVTlPP-8ceVN1765I4QrBFB6jjzB5EpXviw0kVkMKvZbhfNlRIjzvpR6lnF9J0A2Q3C2JKNHbvKXS92Hr2htkFyq1J5Zl4PEXVlLxAqonp5j5lp8xWceyOyC8An9DHSK8dKQ09r1CFVH0IIrmihgZC69Alv6pzMfb5caHqqbajDB8L3Q1xcqEvAsATo-XOy0E7ck8oNkAGc0NWUhrgwnTzghnxJOxCwCt7esytLmoegVOMdXu_svDWfiCelxg096Mf5pHFInz9AQkNCqI_UQerZaXUgHjOqlF6GbjFNx4iSAi3ye2IqeeKCV2bfe7kAZQEHjNtzCJspAT4fwSKTYLgZvPSN40gr42SN51IFw1KXOnuFNGp6BG-szsSVXLuc7-5Vfb-oczFHdOTAXCIHLveFR41lu4Y-ndtOE85lZbShA5rYEepd5Alfhezr0_s1_zkdLAfu_fZjiDXswK_gt0EfJs1LMUdNTqe8OmJrQpznChNEmbIy=w1240-h827-no

BygjOF23r26ht7thUW-EC47zNhMrOGdg-t6QvHAYgbQ7SkejAzjnya-gtp12bDlm6zblHrl9fCmCRiIqmXgp4fv9jFi0ZErIpEbXN8_WxL6E8pOc2QCqsqPnq73N4VUqXA_hYTfcLjKTVz8PjbOeIz2Hfa2UXoAsG_sAo7YcuyQXkFFuETEbDp308LNNQ-1YUg7mBJnoVcj6Tqh1JGhS8fvKEiHO2a34Ak7foIWCAXaaHlX4exqSD-xCW78D19O1e2Z9f3X76MHdjAV2gjRVRIe4bAPw7mDfEpPeoLoSCfVf0Ht7q_--W_Bek32JvaZpmRMf_nxa2ujVY7YFT93MBD812zJrZ0a5N_wcjD-hSKV_NhB7avj6X8oCmybe90a2Sv7MBkSCTsV9DCHxH7ayqjvb5XbpwM_XbF_PiyMhHS3SS8vayE2wf7T5KJMxK8FwfZErOYhuWWaFcewHAWO4aIhz05nhlCokcLQ7DLWqK-PXnl2X1-ySTX0PIIOiS8fvA0LK_uGi6yxv2HoRF2FBZfzsRiFtD3v0moJCmFbmXmoT6ZbAuJd_6ugBOr_wTxzGje8MNV86MgWOwvKKLeINjKrp_Y2tyeTgRR-2t1uW=w1240-h827-no

We thought everything was outstanding. I don’t know if the fried chicken was quite as good as 50’s Prime Time, but you can see in the first photo a cup of pepper gravy they gave us to dip it in. There was also some homemade hot sauce on the table. Both of these added to the chicken immensely. The mac-and-cheese was also great—much better than the mashed potatoes. All in all, we really enjoyed our meal here. I’d go back anytime.

We had one more order of business for the day. We drove back to Fort Wilderness and hopped on an internal bus to the Meadow Trading Post.

Note: if you stay at Fort Wilderness, it helps to have your own car. Otherwise you have to rely on two bus systems (both the regular Disney bus system and the internal campground system) to get anywhere, and it can take forever. So it was nice having our van available.

The campground hosts a nightly campfire and Sing-Along with Chip & Dale next to the Trading Post. The show lasts about a half-hour and is usually followed by a movie. You can bring your own hot dogs or s’mores to roast at the fire, or you can get supplies from Disney for $54.95 or so.

As always, Disney theming is top-notch. I had no idea they had gotten into the Essential Oils business.

64NofUERPIdSsbCNmD4gqc9wNFYF0sizJFgikeDJgAndJMRiyz8O1x5Xp4WjsKKWJozPCaM9GT9JaBL6k7bDR2IFxAB8m9rcSUswoWYEKbIQhwHEjB0R0sfz7PgJmZ8i51REJOCULNpUQVnc83W6uSppEShXariPBQsXiLIYYpfgES-1cgsZWfDK6U5r4PAmhdX7lUfIBp8HrOSvoyrfB_qSdZFZ_auZ_QK8W66nIufhzE1zF7tVIeNxtGXX8DGo_pz1gacNTs2o4pG5yG8T2lShUffRd9-aY2Fc25-yr4j7A_tSFzXSFVNaSkwit7bqadYA9S2tiTJ0KYflfWIqKUK2cCe4pDfjQJPqzJkPuPG6apwgRlSc7nHv6DYd0yXFSLUDQcEHvdsgt4b58YASBuXYZhlQ0k2ebHlg52RX8QT-3z1birY-RABIyJMBopQmy4SH-t819Opyq7ZybHyUPCEMF0NSLAlCH4m90lkZgMYUHryxtpCNlg1bUE3RcRdeaeFVn7bKMQdT8HFWEt6Wj-MT_nME_AafFdUw3-FrQ_nXnNys3Yp3BfZX4Q2s5vuy2HH9Y5LoNJnnxLz7ms2yaYjooS8ParyngxiiB2Hi=w1240-h827-no

The singer came out first, played a tune, and then introduced the stars of the show.

rfO7JVviA0EexDdGjw0vf1mGidmvSCGaAoGd4HaIENkOGL-sHprJq_SbMYeA9MxvYd_5FY8snzvTQrON1n1_PgtHAIIr8XC4u3xb77SiRGSaKpcZdDojJh75L-kRXXC339RGqIiTQClnSK_boPe-OA_d3GREXHlVJwPc4RT6RoUuriJkbjuuAtLlG9sbbSuwPff5xh5JFYBjzFw0EhXT86ojOwd0BuutzVozrYTxkW8lxcdX_mUUMVuZ2_rMixLTSrK9K_m7p8Cgfmul3fXGCH9h0sRKLp7uP-ZuMsauk1VG26ubGHhSLyHgkRVfjw1a9jkCnxwZmv3KVPvynXm8ajyFCyrMTrZqSyGmNkzz_f1_BpwKdqEZjPIXrPw959IaJ7hflDkRf4xcImpBPZgeu53_i6RgYukcMe5F_QQ7PTchwucE5oMrW1cGzzxEQSXz3gFUZFJKboi9GYcbrj0wQ505-fUQ10k9JLSCKSbAY9nMQ-9jcYh_X0S0iYB0jkusQiAdPtN_5rYogvoxMpxtRxGnYQ7SLAoG-H7Dgx5DKHpB0q1kyCexB6QtKadodiVboJ2OMvOIMp_y8ZNNaNc2i0IweGVXcaHe8ovOOfGF=w1240-h827-no

Like I said, it went on for about 30 minutes or so. I can’t even remember any of the songs they played, but I know everyone had a good time. At the end, Chip & Dale came around to greet the guests. We were happy to see that Drew had no hesitation in going up to meet Chip. Another Disney test passed.

EFqhkUUnxyw63KNTSHnicAXNwt0s4VkLGpuII4Hh5lpKuKGI0PKESmMt1EA55hf9QR7MFFdWVHA6OPPAriJKL_Jb-Y3hXlyHERJj27OOPvmzwyXoGaVbETc0T0MGRM568i8cQONH5X-bAYHaPulWzJpVBgIqscGSfjjQ7S-2q1GJjFor407ZpWJrQrdjUETS4Ljj0iPUbIH5_xpc2JUrg5S4PQw4FrdwIgn4OkoNVbsIG1e2kM4E7ATu-v_xZdecyw2vtYMC3ABv8BCc6-VNbYnbajOYdESMjRCoUYmhmrnsy6KP1ahuebIoU_GKfe62Ji7-ODq9u--nDfZAq6GVw0etggW9lnzYLg7V31_vyH7SyVVE30pNMfKmkKEsLOEfC7J6vgDLgDVJ6mR5CPmOXUoG9yVI8ByIfqtRjazR-PcbaKsyPXni9EaZpi8IESxXx8DInSbYKGT7W5lCQe5RVe0jEBqqG89SfPdY9nwelUFEfaCuT7shzBrTJC58tocR0zyn8d9aGUjPZFPllR7jWxLFu_oJsvur2FY4qvmiiUoszEv22t_uOujTRTw_R-Lu-2Yz8RkKXfokLrehx-0WTrikYpzyqxWmsFGCQGZN=w1240-h827-no

The only downside? Our little Disney retreat was already over.

Coming Up Next: One final DIS Meet on the long road back home.

As we were walking back, we passed Jackson Square again, where a few locals were trying to hustle money from the tourists. One guy was hassling people to pay him after taking their photo for them. Another guy picked me out and told me he could tell me exactly where I bought my shoes from.

Um…ok. I already know where I got them, so I’m not sure why I need him to give me this information. I declined, but he kept pressing me. Scotty wanted no part of this conversation, so he hit the turbo boost and speed-walked ahead of me far down the path. If you’re taking notes, remember in the future that Scotty is not going to have your back in a fight.

Forgive me, I'm tackling this TR in a weird order...

Just so you know -- the scam goes like this:

Hustler: Betcha I can tell you where you got your shoes.
mark: no thanks
Hustler: Come on! 5 bucks says I can guess.
Mark: Okay --- fine.
Hustler: You got them shoes ON YOUR FEET! Now gimme my money!

You then get hassled until you either pay or a cop runs him off.

Obviously.

Everything tastes better on Disney property. I think they pump flavour boosters into the air or something.

Today was our Typhoon Lagoon day, and everyone was pretty excited to goof off in a waterpark all day long.

Nice! I haven't been in.... over 30 years.

Wow, that's... quite the story. I was prepared to get a good chuckle, but.... you must've felt awful.
Ah well.... it happens.

We had some time to kill before the park opened (at 10:00 a.m.), so we decided to give Drew a Disney ride he was sure to love: we drove to Epcot to give him a spin on the monorail.

Um... I like that. Who wouldn't like that????

Having determined that we posed no danger to the public at large (Heh, suckers!),

THey should read your TRs. They'd know then.

Drew was the perfect age to fall in love with the Disney monorail. I think every little boy does.

Dude.... everyone does.

htmF50PxGfqIqUELGSxcwsQ8Wurcko4VvDi7NINIlCcwiS5zwZ94aHkVFxibRtCLGGR7D5EWzgci8FPyUnRkoWaqCIxtSbTC0LugG6Tfy6b7eU4dzl_txcwUMnNtr8hHZCCb-w6PMvwlX4cOPvSCTt2mHHKQVnZRmWYO8-BCW_RPD9X5L5s3nSJfgtpvDxaDVxdOcv_sC-NTYuYJ8o4qvJbMLqiN7_Hi7utpOjLuDFFPj6DuCg44rZ4McpoERBkv8zZA0zAJ9MH-cJa5FuXKPi8A8qzgsz5j1O6LRAk4DoYTJ1vnl4TWKzXbCS5WnyhYFqZ9VMRNUo_7Apj8pfpBjguq6jDoA965ZD7sgy0PXKO6XosCDnG1rc07bxYtJ2Oo9DCo9N1utJ6joQ6gUfo0dlY-dwgkZB-1oMqbcz30lr3fPXC2o5qOfVX_XdLu1aHMjApYGV1mbPwUC5Nx06DSAHP4EIK-exJ2JYJIXReS8crWEBdLBoiP84mUy1IzBDOfwa6VCs8PGLAYTIxIOx1iTW7gL46WFFX1CobCUynpj2HAMjTZF9tY6tt7dMxmTo5jPZlFyNoycagZB2lz61ihdAEThl6qIcUcna-qpAks=w1240-h827-no

:laughing: I'm sure that didn't last long. At least, judging from the rest of the chapter it didn't.

'Dat boy is gone.

In my opinion, Typhoon Lagoon is better than Blizzard Beach.

Agreed. And I haven't even been to Blizzard Beach. Because.....

Typhoon Lagoon has the Crush 'n Gusher, a fantastic water coaster, while Blizzard Beach has the Summit Plummet--a long slide with a huge drop, straight down. Considering how much I hate drops on roller coasters, this is kind of a no-brainer for me. But given the lines I typically see for the Summit Plummet, I don't get the value of waiting 30-60 minutes in line for what is essentially a 4-second slide.

Interesting. I think (without having done either) I'd prefer Crush to Plummet as well.

Another reason I prefer Typhoon Lagoon is the theme--the lush tropical theme is gorgeous here. Whereas all the fake snow at Blizzard Beach is a neat idea for a story, but the reflection of the sun can make it hurt your eyes after a while.

... because... I don't need to be traumatized. I just escaped from snow. You really think I want to see it again??????

And indeed, there was already a line when we got there, but it only took us about 15-20 minutes to get to the front.

Not too bad.

As it turns out, it’s a really fun waterslide. As you can see from the photo, Disney FINALLY learned to have a lift system so they don’t have to force people to carry their own rafts up the stairs to the top of the slide, a problem that plagues the other slides here.

Good to know. No idea if I'll ever go, mind you.

Drew looked worried as we went over the edge and into a tunnel at the top. But this is where peer pressure can be a good thing. His older siblings made a big show of laughing and giggling the whole way down, and by the end Drew was laughing and giggling, too. Best of all, he was asking to do it again. So, we obliged.

:laughing: Yay!!

I took one for the team and accompanied the older kids to the Crush ‘n Gusher, where we spent the next couple of hours.

Very noble of you. I presume you were awarded some kind of plaque or certificate.

For my money, the Crush ‘n Gusher is the best attraction in the waterpark. It’s a “water coaster”, which is a waterslide on steroids.

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Maybe I should try to get there some day.

there are uphill sections with jets of water that send you flying back up as well.

Okay... now that is cool!

we kept going back and riding them over and over again.

What were the wait times like?

Julie said he went on the kids’ little raft slide at least 20-30 times.

:laughing: Sounds like he had fun. :)

She even got him to take a spin all the way around the lazy river. Pretty sure they hated it.

WMEkOOVBIzw3QVkLWXkf5-Qdt8R1RYxEVVXXgAn5xz3p494esRAIFA57UfVXVocwE_ejdU39op8_tNVNNgxZgYT61YMt-kmMGMg7wftAgbDuHNdrx-jg2GZFoJEaliUU8-pPbhTDfVgfv-UKCEhS4PS9v-jxXVmTRs0RHTar2VzgM525bVZtaVNzLlalHWqHejRCWTfNEnRyL1YhD0rz4UrgokfE6hgw4HWd8KdoqV3Vu2CpdWpoAsEbA3Z2c1NJa9qEH5cTXGX6bxq6mp3QjdFxhyBMWQYYRRt6KY5wX4eEXPXG5WFiCda8LL5y6BCGmzs7yw_pyjZ8n0I3LRs9nXbOt7D8fo9u9gg58cDFNqk-pvqe-LQDAwFyQLgell-SyAzZV8X-IPV1OFIdXEZdjWxVxmchyBUpava3SnsmTPSWi4evigz2y5Ts3HfAenZen_OgzvjsKLUIpGhTtmZoY7QDLwNieDiUXdSh2U6E5Bi4Oi88ym4S7XJcLhqiQv18JObZ7IEGSoGXeyIjCuQ9vCOrgJ3cR_mZmgpwK9gl-x89x-lENmWkYT1jIAnwo6TD7nQ9ZHAdHR-kC8rXgyxNb7L_uCRzgI2lwFX3F7AX=w1136-h852-no

Yes, there's a lot of pent up anger there. ::yes::

We had PB&J sandwiches

YUSS!!!!!!!

the big kids and I took on the giant wave pool.

I do remember that. fun!

Pro tip: wear water shoes in the wave pool. The floor is rough concrete, and it’ll tear you up something fierce if you’re not ready for it.

Thanks. I don't remember if I did or not... but I'm leaning to "not".
But I was a tad younger then too.

I turned my back to it and spread my arms out, King Of The World-style, and let it completely wipe me out. They seemed to get a kick out of that for some reason.

Um.... everyone did. :rolleyes1

They’d closed the Swim With Sharks attraction a while back,

Oh really! Huh.
Then again, I've done it... and it was boring. But there were also hardly any fish and I don't think I saw a single shark.

I think the waterpark is exactly what we needed at that point of the trip. We’d been driving for so long, and the weather had been typically hot and humid for two straight weeks. A day to goof off and enjoy Disney was incredibly refreshing. I’m pretty sure this was everyone’s favorite day of the trip.

I totally get that. Must've been nice just to cut loose for a while.

We got dressed in the late afternoon and made the short trip over to Disney Springs (which I still keep occasionally calling Downtown Disney).

I call it DTD far more than occasionally. I still have to stop and think when someone writes "We went to DS."
You went to your son?

it looks a lot classier than the previous hodgepodge of shops and restaurants. It’s still a hodgepodge of shops and restaurants, but at least now they all look like they belong together.

I will agree with that. It's more inviting now.

I couldn’t resist the siren call of Deep-Fried Everything.

:laughing:

they had a dish called “fried chicken and donuts”, which could have been re-named “The Captain Oblivious”.

:laughing: Your cup of tea, huh?

We thought everything was outstanding. I don’t know if the fried chicken was quite as good as 50’s Prime Time, but you can see in the first photo a cup of pepper gravy they gave us to dip it in.

So... the chicken may not have been quite as good... but with the dip, did that put it over the top?

I’d go back anytime.

Good to know!

You can bring your own hot dogs or s’mores to roast at the fire, or you can get supplies from Disney for $54.95 or so.

I didn't know they had 75% off sales! Is this just a campground thing?

:laughing: Not bad.

Well... poop. But... they always do end, don't they?

Hmmm... If you were rich, won the lottery or something, would you want to permanently stay? There is the anticipation factor. Hmmm...

I call it DTD far more than occasionally. I still have to stop and think when someone writes "We went to DS."
You went to your son?
I call it DTD all the time.

IT'S
dtd.jpg
PEOPLE!!

Disney Springs makes it sound too much like a washed up old town in cars.

Today was our Typhoon Lagoon day, and everyone was pretty excited to goof off in a waterpark all day long. We’d last visited Typhoon Lagoon during our surprise trip in 2012—that was the day I abandoned my daughter in a pool full of sharks. But everyone seemed to have recovered enough over the following years that they were willing to give it another go.

Who knows, she could wrestle sharks for a living.

True statement.

I like the theme, especially the farm tractor stranded on the roof.

I never noticed that. It does have great theming through the park.

For my money, the Crush ‘n Gusher is the best attraction in the waterpark. It’s a “water coaster”, which is a waterslide on steroids.

Another true statement.

while Blizzard Beach has the Summit Plummet--a long slide with a huge drop, straight down.

My child, probably when she was an early-teen, talked me into doing it. First of all, I hate heights (hence my thing about bridges) second, the last thing I want to do is drop faster than light speed. Told the child afterward as she was laughing to go take a long walk off a short pier and headed to the nearest bar.

Did his older brothers give him the end of the hose and tell him to look down, "Something cool is going to happen," as they unkinked the hose?

You hear lots of people splashing around, then a big WHOMP as the wave is activated, followed by screams of delight/terror.

The Big Whomp of terror. Love it.

They’d closed the Swim With Sharks attraction a while back, so I didn’t get another chance to abandon my kids there.

When they closed it is still a day of morning in our house.

Last edited:
Man, I’ve got such a love/hate relationship with Typhoon Lagoon. I do love the water coaster and the tropical theming like you. But that wave pool...let me take you back to 2008, when my oldest was 8. It was our first visit and the first thing she wanted to do was the wave pool. She also wasn’t a swimmer and wanted to stay in the shallower end. This being our first visit to the park, I didn’t think that would be an issue. When the tsunami came, we both realized it was a bit more intense than we anticipated. She started running away but was still waist deep, I tried to grab her hand and brace for impact, but with wet hands couldn’t get a grip. I felt pretty helpless. She went down, hard. You mentioned the rough concrete. She got scraped on her knees, thighs, even up her hip. I pulled her up and quickly got her out, managed to get her down to first aid before too much blood dripped all over the park (yeah, it really was bad). First aid did a great job patching her up but the nurse mentioned although it was common, it was one of the worse cases she’d seen. So we left Typhoon Lagoon about an hour after we arrived, having only seen the wave pool and first aid hut. I always have a word of warning for people since then.
We did return the Typhoon Lagoon in 2013 but avoided the wave pool.

I have an ADR for Homecomin’ in August. I’m really looking forward to it. I envision ordering exactly what you did. Glad to know you liked it.

We tried out Art Smith’s Homecomin’ for dinner that evening. There was no way I was going to avoid this place—the menu is pure comfort food. I couldn’t resist the siren call of Deep-Fried Everything.

I want to go there so bad. Will have to wait until the January trip.

We thought everything was outstanding. I don’t know if the fried chicken was quite as good as 50’s Prime Time, but you can see in the first photo a cup of pepper gravy they gave us to dip it in. There was also some homemade hot sauce on the table. Both of these added to the chicken immensely. The mac-and-cheese was also great—much better than the mashed potatoes. All in all, we really enjoyed our meal here. I’d go back anytime.

OK, now I want to go even more, Oblivious seal of approval.

Note: if you stay at Fort Wilderness, it helps to have your own car. Otherwise you have to rely on two bus systems (both the regular Disney bus system and the internal campground system) to get anywhere, and it can take forever. So it was nice having our van available.

If you are staying there for a while and want to absorb the expense, the rented golf carts (from Disney or approved rental places) is the way to go. They have charging places at all the major stops. The serious campers bring their own.

The campground hosts a nightly campfire and Sing-Along with Chip & Dale next to the Trading Post. The show lasts about a half-hour and is usually followed by a movie. You can bring your own hot dogs or s’mores to roast at the fire, or you can get supplies from Disney for $54.95 or so.

Don't exaggerate, it is $49.99 with tax.

Like I said, it went on for about 30 minutes or so. I can’t even remember any of the songs they played, but I know everyone had a good time. At the end, Chip & Dale came around to greet the guests. We were happy to see that Drew had no hesitation in going up to meet Chip. Another Disney test passed.

Good for Drew. The campfire and the movie is quite fun.

I pulled her up and quickly got her out, managed to get her down to first aid before too much blood dripped all over the park (yeah, it really was bad). First aid did a great job patching her up but the nurse mentioned although it was common, it was one of the worse cases she’d seen.

Wow, sorry she went through that. It can be a wild ride. And I second Mark's suggestion on water shoes at any of the water parks. I even use them at the pools.

Also, we're paying for the room, so we get the bed.
Just about the only perk left for us parental units…

Well, that's no fun.
No it’s not.
I’ve tried to ignore the books…
but they call to us with an intensity exceeding that of the cursed treasure of Cortés

That's what we do!
And we’re quite good at it.

Chapter 15: The One Where We Finally Don’t Have To Do Any Crazy Driving
Well, that’s no fun…

(Yeah, I don’t buy into that either, but someone had to say it.)

So long as you didn’t buy them on property for the Maniacal Mouse’s standard mark up.

I didn’t say they taste good;
Such was implied. Saying so would be like admitting you were really glad that you ate a Hot Pocket.
(as Jim Gaffigan has pointed out, that’s likely not a sentence that’s ever been uttered)

I just said they taste better when consumed after waking up in a Disney resort.
The same could be said for roasted Styrofoam, but the point is taken.

that was the day I abandoned my daughter in a pool full of sharks. But everyone seemed to have recovered enough over the following years that they were willing to give it another go.
Time may or may not heal wounds, but Disney time certainly speeds up the process.

we decided to give Drew a Disney ride he was sure to love: we drove to Epcot to give him a spin on the monorail.
Good plan.
At first I was wondering why you’d have paid the parking fee for this, but then again, you’d have to pay for the parking at TL as well, so with the receipt in hand I guess it doesn’t matter where Mickey collects the coins.

Having determined that we posed no danger to the public at large (Heh, suckers!), they let us through
Even Disney isn’t immune to momentary and even critical lapses in judgement.

Old ones too…

:laughing:
What is he now, four-ish…
A fairly standard face for that age, with momentary swings between laughter and melt-down.

I’m sure it was important.
An undisputable matter of life and death during that ninety second timeframe, I’m sure of it.

Anyway, if you ask him now, he’ll tell you that the monorail is his favorite ride at Disney World.
Although he currently suffers from a distinct lack of attractions to which to compare…

He also likes running through wide-open spaces.

tPxSVSxPHY2eusm_Pe_orzUm3dCpEfhzwQBvd3v0p8yMz6yNpGmoEHVr4XtoBrAMEtHom3yl2LwLkIMHfu6La9PMeilTRO3ky7WxmzD7eK2ZPERNbD2ZrFFefmo_Emei_y0YNKWbBCj9_tKwpxlrHkm_kpX7gfhZ0mWNR9cGmuKKdqvPessfNSTVbUPgoVDjDlpYx-rkDDUhHev3ooQi4RvGlKbtTe6iygGhgq_fMtuU4RYDfVw7s1Z4FIZeTYgjRV2b58Yz1Mrp_oHgpI7XPePinf2MHJ9STQ4t6kYN1saGwuF6Ntdx8ZXG-1t22XI1T7FDBMy64TyGVd-VqSIpbebJ-FWmnoFkwpDUUCaR-BUZJox2SnWK6tj7Lnmzd2TccMRxk6xmni-OiVrHbfxhYZt3fbzTHvtHxnsw6x_7sadR8TtmdoI9Ag0-4Qdr5g18USHzupU7CyOy7nsDKThyCFV1g-nmtRxt98T9cTKbNvD-E_n_VGTqHIbK_PNkWzQKvt5qDVlBnVxlDTU-RrQ1ZNjB1TcB6ggVfk4OTT5J0D9qt2b6JIhYYUMYAxzkak4hiwyHqKowwwwyDWggzDFRXHfkVfsR7qhJ53eEnWnC=w1240-h827-no
Young’en running… Normal.
Open space and a lack of crowd anywhere on Disney property… Surprising.

I don’t like running at all, so instead of chasing him, I go with the futile Half-Hearted Yelling After Him technique. It doesn’t work well.
You’re a Dad, there’s no way he wasn’t going to ignore you regardless of the amount of heart invoked.

Agreed…
But ‘cause I feel like it’s more laid back. Problem is I’m also comparing ancient history here. The Crush 'n Gusher hadn’t yet been built the last time we were at TL and it’s been a very long time since we were at either water park.

Now, as for your thoughts on the Plummet…
Those I agree with completely.

Well lookie there…
A picture with Drew in it that didn’t take sixteen attempts…

Or are you just editing to move the story along?

by the end Drew was laughing and giggling, too. Best of all, he was asking to do it again. So, we obliged.
Everybody wins!

Well, we don’t win, ‘cause we weren’t there, but all y’all win!

I took one for the team and accompanied the older kids to the Crush ‘n Gusher, where we spent the next couple of hours.
Your martyrdom knows no bounds…

It’s a “water coaster”, which is a waterslide on steroids. The basic difference is that not only do you have water carrying you downhill at fast speeds on the slide, but there are uphill sections with jets of water that send you flying back up as well. It’s awesome.
A bigger version of the ride on their larger ships.
I will have to try this out at some point.
(It just may be an extended period before I can do so.)

Yep…
You can plainly see the anchor in his eyes…

We had PB&J sandwiches at our lounge chairs for lunch
Highlight of the day!

and then took another couple of spins on Miss Adventure Falls.
But did you make them sit there for thirty minutes after eating before going back in the water?

Not to mention, after the excitement of lunch, this must have been quite the letdown.

the big kids and I took on the giant wave pool.
Now that there, is the one thing at TL that I’ll likely not be partaking of anytime in the near.
The waves are too strong when combined with the extremely course texture of the pool floor.
It’s rare that I leave a Disney attraction bleeding; rarer still that I’ll repeat the process

Those would help, but offer no real protection for shins, knees, thighs, wrists, shoulders, ears, faces…

I’m pretty sure this was everyone’s favorite day of the trip.
And I’d be stunned to hear otherwise.

made the short trip over to Disney Springs (which I still keep occasionally calling Downtown Disney).
Occasionally?
Heck I still generally refer to one of the parks as MGM!

It’s still a hodgepodge of shops and restaurants, but at least now they all look like they belong together.
::yes:: Better theming, to be sure.
More (and better) options too.
Yes, it’s still just a mall, but it’s a dang nice mall…

At Disney!

I couldn’t resist the siren call of Deep-Fried Everything.
That’s basically a normal day ‘round my neck of the woods, so it lacks a certain novelty factor for us.
That said, I still need to give it a try at some point.

they had a dish called “fried chicken and donuts”, which could have been re-named “The Captain Oblivious”.
Everyone should have a monument…

you can see in the first photo a cup of pepper gravy they gave us to dip it in. There was also some homemade hot sauce on the table. Both of these added to the chicken immensely.
Now this I see as a definite positive.
Tough to beat a good gravy.

Might have to do that sometime even if we’re staying at a different resort.
Think I’ll skip the 54.95 bit of it though.

Did y’all try to roast pop-tarts instead?

I had no idea they had gotten into the Essential Oils business.

64NofUERPIdSsbCNmD4gqc9wNFYF0sizJFgikeDJgAndJMRiyz8O1x5Xp4WjsKKWJozPCaM9GT9JaBL6k7bDR2IFxAB8m9rcSUswoWYEKbIQhwHEjB0R0sfz7PgJmZ8i51REJOCULNpUQVnc83W6uSppEShXariPBQsXiLIYYpfgES-1cgsZWfDK6U5r4PAmhdX7lUfIBp8HrOSvoyrfB_qSdZFZ_auZ_QK8W66nIufhzE1zF7tVIeNxtGXX8DGo_pz1gacNTs2o4pG5yG8T2lShUffRd9-aY2Fc25-yr4j7A_tSFzXSFVNaSkwit7bqadYA9S2tiTJ0KYflfWIqKUK2cCe4pDfjQJPqzJkPuPG6apwgRlSc7nHv6DYd0yXFSLUDQcEHvdsgt4b58YASBuXYZhlQ0k2ebHlg52RX8QT-3z1birY-RABIyJMBopQmy4SH-t819Opyq7ZybHyUPCEMF0NSLAlCH4m90lkZgMYUHryxtpCNlg1bUE3RcRdeaeFVn7bKMQdT8HFWEt6Wj-MT_nME_AafFdUw3-FrQ_nXnNys3Yp3BfZX4Q2s5vuy2HH9Y5LoNJnnxLz7ms2yaYjooS8ParyngxiiB2Hi=w1240-h827-no
How big was the bruise applied to your rib cage after pointing that one out to Julie?

Now there’s a fine picture of young’ens.

:sad:

Coming Up Next: One final DIS Meet on the long road back home.
And allow me to apologize profusely for how joyless and depressing that chapter will inevitably be…

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts