"The Total Experience"

IWISHFORDISNEY

<font color=darkorchid>Cant get enough of the mous
Ok we go to Disney every year. I am one of those people who feels the need for complete immersion (sp) of Disney. I MUST stay onsite. I MUST have the dining plan because planning the meals is my favorite part. I MUST do all the parties or events going on. I often wonder if I would enjoy a trip if I had to stay off site or give up the dining plan. When I stayed at the Dolphn I just felt like my trip was lacking something. I was right there but it still felt different. The hotel was very nice but seeing people in business suits talking about their convention took something away. I just cant desribe it. It makes me think I have a problem with change. We used to visit Universal and eat on I-drive and do all the touristy things. Now I just want total Disney. My husband is not much better but still likes to venture out. Can I be reformed. LOL.

I herd one of the podcast team talking about the complete or total "Disney" experience and thought that is so me.

:lmao: It sounds like you really have a problem, it may be past the point of reform. Thats the cool thing about Disney there are so many ways to enjoy and no way is better than an another. I am probably somewhere in the middle of the spectrum regarding full immersion.

I am actually on the opposite end of you, IWISHFORDISNEY. I have never stayed onsite. I have always been offsite just 5ish minutes from Disney. This September, due to free dining no car rental and no parking fees, staying onsite at a Moderate and staying offsite are about equal. So we decided to try staying onsite.

I am a big Disney fan but I must admit some apprehension. I am really used to having my own car and buzzing around Disney quickly. The couple times we have used Disney transportation to park hop I was annoyed with how much time it took to wait for a bus and then get to the park. My mom says that I need to chill. :rotfl2: Probably. I am also a little afraid that I will become too saturated and I won't get that same rush walking into a park first thing in the morning. There is nothing like it. Walking in, knowing that the whole day of possibilities is stretching out in front of you. :cloud9:

Well, I'll just have to see. I am very interested in how onsite feels vs offsite. I plan on writing a trip report so I'll let you know how my experience went!

I have always been full immersion too! But, with all the price increases on site from food to strollers, I have decided that while I'm staying at Pop Century, I plan to hit a few of the nearby off site restaurants like Giordanos, and Steak & Shake. And since I have a rental car, I'm going to use it a bit to get to the parks. It might be a bit easier on my daughter given that she won't be getting a stroller this year. Those Pop Century bus stops are a loonnnnggg walk!

I agree...I'm total immersion. I don't get the dining plan though. Too much work. But I have to stay on site and I love doing the special events. We are going in October basically just to do MNSSHP. I've done MVMCP and the Pirate and Princess Party too.

I will say though, in Feburary I took a spur of the moment trip to Orlando due to really cheap airfare and we stayed off site at Marriott Grand Vistas on International Drive and the place was awesome. We had a 2 bedroom suite that was pretty amazing. I went with my brother, SIL and nephew and we only went to Disney for the P&P party. I really did have a good time seeing other stuff. We went to Sea World and we went to Kennedy Space Center and saw a shuttle launch (which was AMAZING, I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity) so, while I was really glad to see other things, I wouldn't do it on a regular basis. I briefly thought about staying off site again for our October trip, but realized I just really love staying on site and doing all Disney, all the time.

I am right there with you I even go as far as when my DBF says universal is better (just to see my reaction) I give him my evil eye!!!!! and I don't like when people who don't "get " Disney make fun of it!!! It is different if you get it like all of us ;)

nearby off site restaurants like Giordanos, and Steak & Shake.

Hey Kevin, when are we going to get a restaurant review of the Steak & Shake? :) Mmmmmmmmm Steak & Shhhhhaaaaaake

Ya ever hear the phrase "champagne taste but a beer budget", well, that's my answer to total immersion. Would love to do it, but don't want to spend the money to stay where I'd like to stay. Perhaps when the kids get a little older..... Till then, I'll be a half & half... :)

The funniest part about wanting to go to Steak & Shake... I have one in my own town, not more than 4 miles away, and I've never been there even once. But while in WDW, I figure it will fit my budget better than a meal at The Liberty Tree Tavern or LeCellier!

I have no idea why, but I love the Steak & Shake..... Not to mention it's where my daughter decided to shout out "hey server, can I get a chocolate milk please" when she was 2. The gentleman was across the restaurant, so it was kinda funny....although my wife and I were mortified! The waiter and the rest of the place laughed out loud, so I suppose it wasn't all that horrible..... I guess she remembered him saying he'd be our "server" and figured it was appropriate! LOL

After doing WDW for the last three years in a row, this past February we decided to stay on site at All Star Sports. While it is not a three bedroom villa with our own pool, we really did enjoy the 'total immersion' experience.

So before our 8/28 Disney cruise, we will be staying at All Star Sports for four days prior with the DDP which can be a nice Perk to staying on property.

Via iPhone

I have no idea why, but I love the Steak & Shake..... Not to mention it's where my daughter decided to shout out "hey server, can I get a chocolate milk please" when she was 2. The gentleman was across the restaurant, so it was kinda funny....although my wife and I were mortified! The waiter and the rest of the place laughed out loud, so I suppose it wasn't all that horrible..... I guess she remembered him saying he'd be our "server" and figured it was appropriate! LOL

A two year old is bound to say ANYTHING at ANY TIME! That's why I love those little tyke's so much. It's all honest! It's not nearly as funny when they're 8!!

And hey Stroller Boy, at least your daughter said "please". You're doing your job!!

Up until last year we have never stayed on site and hardly eaten anywhere in WDW. Well last year was the 1st trip I planned for my family and we invited my parents to come along for there grandsons 1st trip. We stayed at CBR and was on the DP and it was wonderful. Definatly a totally different experience being fully immerssed in Disney. My Dad said it was the best vacation he has ever been on. This year I talked them into coming to Disney again in December at the POLY I can't wait for my "total immersion":lovestruc

Last summer DS and I drove to WDW from TX for about 10 days. It was kinda of last minute, about 2 weeks notice and I couldn't get anything on site but got a great deal at the Hotel Royal Plaza in DTD. The room was beautiful and we had a DTD view. However, it just wasn't Disney for us. The worst thing was having to leave the parks at night during EMH and watching all those lucky people. That was a real bummer.:guilty:

Luckily HRP only charges your credit card for the 1st night when you make your ressie and then for the remaining nights when you check out. I asked them if I checked out before the 10th night would I be charged for just the nights we stayed or for the entire ressie. They said only the nights I stayed. Cool!:thumbsup2

So...I called WDW reservations (no time to e-mail Sue Ellen) and asked if they had anything in a value and they did at AS Sports for our remaining nights! Yeah!:cool1: We never packed so fast and checked out of that hotel so quickly it was hysterical. The front desk at HRP asked me if there was a problem with the room or anything and I just said no, no...just have to go -now!:laughing:

What a difference it was to check in and be back on WDW property. We learned a hard lesson. For us it just isn't the same unless we are staying on property. :banana:

Shannon

I have the need for the total experience as well. BF and I are getting married at WDW in January of 2009. At one point, he talked about maybe having a meal for all of our guests offsite, and even I was amazed at how upset that thought made me! I know that that is rediculous, but when I go to Disney, I am all about being totally immersed in Disney. I don't have any desire to leave at all. It truly is a whole different world to me, where the rest of the world does not have to exist and all that matters is getting to spend truly quality time and make fabulous memeories with the people I love. The older I get, the more I appreciate this :goodvibes .

So, this seems like the group to ask my question that I've been mulling for a few weeks...it's fermented at this point!

My daughter and I are going to Disney in January or February of 2009. Our last trip was in 2006 and we can't wait to get there! We've stayed on property twice and off property once and definitely agree that on property is the way to go, but we love Epcot...

Here's the dilema/question...is it better to stay at a Disney resort not near Epcot (we really can't afford anything above a moderate) or to stay at the Swan/Dolphin? Are the Swan/Dolphin really just like a hotel or do you get that Disney feel there as well? We definitely need to get our Disney fix but since we really are only at the resort to sleep, eat breakfast and maybe swim would it be that different?

Le'me know what U think.:upsidedow

I would probably go with Swan. It is smaller and more intimate and I think most of the conventioners are at the Dolphin. The rates are unbeatable. I stayed there a long time ago and there were not as many "Disney" perks as there are now such as EMH and shared buses. I would take that over a mod any day. JMO of course. I am thinking of actually doing this for a short trip with no dining plan even though I am an all in total immersion type gal. I wouldnt want it for a long trip but a short one would be fine. Just my taste though. Others feel differently. They are very nice rooms!!!

Total Disney for me too. I don't leave site. DD is 14 and she hasn't bugged me for Universal yet. I keep putting it off since I cant imagine leaving WDW to go to Universal. I figure when she is sick of WDW, I cant still get her there via Universal LOL. I have been to Universal and Sea World, and I know it can wait. Back when I went in 1990, I was dumb and people talked Universal and Disney as if they were one. So dumb me bought tix for both, not knowing better. I don't feel I had enough time to enjoy anything, trying to do all those parks in 1 weeks time. Now I am sooo much smarter! I am all Disney for now baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter