The Tenth Trip is the Best Trip and Eleven is Nice Too- July and December 2019 PTR *UPDATED 12/5*

ashw100

DIS Veteran
Hello and welcome to my EPIC, two trip pre-trip report. Thanks to some very savvy maneuvering and Disney math, I get to go to Walt Disney World twice this year. I actually haven’t done a PTR in awhile. I feel like planning my trips has gotten pretty straight forward for me and there’s not much to talk about, not this time. Our trip upcoming trips are VERY different from one another and I need help sorting it all out. I figured, what better way to do that than with a PTR and the help of some DIS friends.

Our first trip is just the hubby and I. We will be in WDW from July 27 to August 3. All posts related to this trip will be in red.

Our second trip is quite a different beast. At the most it will be 10 people and at the very least just my family of 5. We are going from December 7-15th. All posts for this trip will be in green.

I will update soon with some introductions and backgrounds for each trip. But for now I will leave you with a stroll down memory lane. I had no idea what to title this PTR, but when I realized it was going to be my 10th trip to the World, I figured I must celebrate that. Many moons ago when I was planning my first trip as an adult in 2014, I thought we’d be lucky to go one or two more times while the kids were growing up. Here we are five years later and my count is sitting at 9 and soon to be 10 and 11. I am so incredibly grateful to have discovered this love of Disney theme parks, and even more grateful that I found this group of people who share my love. So figured I would share a picture and a memory from each of the 9 trips.

My one WDW trip growing up, which was actually my family's first big vacation. I was 13, we stayed at CBR, and in five days we did all 4 parks and 2 water parks. It was a very busy trip, and I don't remember much of it, but the most memorable moment came from the last night. We were going to eat in the CBR restaurant and then head back to Epcot for Illuminations. We were seated and our server came over to take our drink order and my brother just started throwing up all over the table. The server was so amazing and we obviously ended up leaving, but it's certainly a memory I will never forget:eek:.
February 2014

This was the first trip for our kids Connor and James. I was also pregnant with my youngest, Nicholas. It really felt like the first trip, everything felt new and exciting. I spent a year planning and saving and the trip lived up to all my expectations. It was the trip that got me hooked, and started this all for me. One of my favorite memories, came from our first meet with Mickey. James was a little apprehensive of Mickey. When we went to get our group shot, I thought he has warmed up and I placed him on the ground in front of Mickey for the picture. Well he did not like that and threw himself on the ground and I thought we were in for a tantrum. Instead Mickey got right down on the ground with him :love:.
October 2014

This trip was just a one-day trip, but a trip nonetheless. My dad wanted to take me to Universal for the weekend, because he knows what I huge Harry Potter fan I am. Also he wanted to make up for the fact that I didn't get to do any thrill rides during the February trip due to me being pregnant. On our arrival day we were going to spend a night in Downtown Disney before we moved to Portofino Bay and he asked if I wanted to do something Disney. There was a MNSSHP that night, and I was dying to go, so that's what we did. I got to ride all the thrill rides I missed in February and experience some not so scary magic before Universal.
May 2015

This was honestly a tough trip. It was our first vacation without any parental help. We had a threenager and a ten-month-old who wanted to get up and go but couldn't. However, despite all the things that made it hard, I look back and I see it through rose colored glasses. We got to do Star Wars Weekends, Mother's Day, and Flower and Garden that trip. We did a ton of fun meals and experiences. I would go back a do it again in a heartbeat if I had the chance. One of the best memories from the trip was on our second to last night. We had dinner at Ohana, which changed our life and became our favorite restaurant at Disney. And then after, we went back to CBR and swam at the pool and just had the best time together as a family. It was the one night that trip where everyone was happy and we just enjoyed it. We ended the night eating Mickey bars on the patio and watching the Illuminations fireworks.
May 2016

This was an adult trip for DH and I, and honestly everything about this trip was perfect. I can't pick one single memory because it was all good. It rained a lot that week so, many nights the parks emptied out and it felt like we had the place to ourselves:cloud9:.
September 2016

Another tough trip, this one was just my mom, me and the boys. We went over Labor Day weekend for MNSSHP. The two little ones didn't really enjoy much, it was crowded, and hot, and rained all weekend. But the highlight was on our second night my mom took the little ones back to the room and Connor and I closed out MK by doing Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom, watching the MSEP for the last time and riding a ton of rides with no wait. I loved getting that alone time with him several times over the course of the trip.
January 2017

Our family really hit our stride in this trip, the boys felt comfortable with everything and we really just enjoyed ourselves. On the first day of this trip, I celebrated my 29th birthday. It was an amazing day, but at the end of the day all I wanted was to watch Wishes. Unfortunately, there was a severe storm headed our way and I thought for sure we wouldn't be able to see it. We walked out of dinner from BoG about 15 minutes before Wishes was schedule to go off and suddenly Wishes music began to play. They decided to run the show early, and I got my birthday wish. As soon as the show ended the skies opened and we had to run out of there, but it was so worth it.
November 2017

This was a mostly solo trip that I took for agent training, but Joe joined me for the weekend before. We spent a whirlwind two days trying to cram everything in. However, my favorite memory was the night Joe left. I was feeling sad, but I had gotten a wristband to go to the preview for Sunset Greetings at DHS. It was really cool to be the first guests to see this new Christmas offering. I also got to ride ToT and RnR with no wait and hang out with other Disney loving people.
September 2018

Our best trip to date, by far. I am currently working on the TR is anyone if interested. My favorite memory was DH and I celebrating our 10th anniversary. Having the best meal ever at California Grill, just enjoying each other, while the boys had fun at Pixar Play Zone, and watching Happily Ever After from atop the Contemporary.
We have made a lot of amazing memories at Disney. I think that is why planning is so fun for me. I love thinking of all the possibilities and how we can turn plans into memories that we will have for the rest of our lives. Hope you stick around for all the planning fun!

Links
July Trip Updates
Introductions and Details

ADRs
Surprises for Joe

Mickey Mail
FP+
It's the Final Countdown
Must Do Disney

December Trip Updates
Introductions and Details
How About Some Changes
ADRs
Fastpass
Disney Christmas
The Countdown is On!
One Month From Today 12/7
One Month From Today 12/8
One Month From Today 12/9
One Month From Today 12/10
One Month From Today 12/11
One Month From Today 12/12
One Month From Today 12/13
One Month From Today 12/14
Let's Go To Disney!!

Last edited:
Joining in! Can't wait to hear what you have planned for both trips. Such nice memories to look back on from your past trips!

Following along! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and picking up some ideas from someone who is dialed in on the trip planning process!

Joining in! Can't wait to hear what you have planned for both trips. Such nice memories to look back on from your past trips!
Yay glad you're here.

Following along! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and picking up some ideas from someone who is dialed in on the trip planning process!
You know what's funny, I am so good (at least I like to think I am :rotfl2:) at planning other people's trips, but I get stuck planning my own. Hopefully writing everything out and getting feedback will help me figure some stuff out.

I'm looking forward to hearing about BOTH of your trips!

What a wonderful collection of memories! It's a nice reminder that even hard vacations have wonderful moments. It's also so fun to see how your kids (and you!) change with each trip. :cloud9:

hopping over from your current TR. looking forward to reading more.

I'm looking forward to hearing about BOTH of your trips!

What a wonderful collection of memories! It's a nice reminder that even hard vacations have wonderful moments. It's also so fun to see how your kids (and you!) change with each trip. :cloud9:
I love that sentiment so much, I think it is easy to forget that when you are having a rough trip, it's why I like writing TRs so much. I reminds you of all the good things. Thanks for joining in.

hopping over from your current TR. looking forward to reading more.
Happy to have you here for this one too :wave2:

July Trip

Introductions

Me (Ashley)

I am the wrangler of children, Disney trip planner extraordinaire, Disneyoholic, and narrator of this here trip report. I have loved Disney all my life. I was lucky enough to live in California until I was 8 and visited Disneyland a few times. My family took our one and only Disney World trip in 2001. Once I entered high school I became too cool for Disney and didn’t really pick up the obsession again until my second baby was born and I decided we had to go to WDW. Planning that trip, I of course got bitten with the bug, and I have been obsessed ever since. Even turning my hobby into a career.

Joe (DH)

Joe, hence forth known as DH, was not a Disney nut at any point in his life, until now that is. He is however, a Marvel and Star Wars geek. I will never forget the moment on our first trip when we were walking through the hub, and he turns to me and says, “I get why you love this so much”. He has slowly become just as obsessed with me, I have even caught him researching:scared1:. It’s always funny when he comes across something and needs to tell me about. I think he forgets what I do sometimes:confused3. By day, he supports our Disney habit as a rental manager at a trucking company and by night he is a full-time college student (graduates this year) and part-time soccer coach.

Details

How we got away with sneaking off to Disney sans kids, yet again has a little bit of a backstory. For our September 2018 trip Joe and I had APs. We were originally booked with a bounce back at Port Orleans Riverside. However, when free dining came out we saved $700 by switching to CBR, we were now getting the dining plan and that meant getting park hoppers as well. We figured we would definitely be going in December 2019 and could use the park hoppers then. By the time our September trip rolled around, my mom had decided she also wanted to go December 2019. Not only that, but she wanted to pay for everyone to go and wanted me to book the free dining bounce back while we were there. Don’t get me wrong, I love a free trip as much as the next person, but now we didn’t know what to do with the 7-day park hoppers that were expiring at the end of 2019.

You see in order to justify trips to my husband, there has to be some reason behind it. Well it just so happens that DH graduates this summer. He went to college very late in life, and these past four years have been particularly taxing for him. He’s not doing a ceremony or anything, but what a great way to use our tickets up! Even though we could have diverted the funds we would have used for December to this July trip, we decided to be responsible adults and use it for more boring things. The goal was to make this trip as cheap as possible, and I think I’ve done a pretty good job so far. Thanks to an amazing TA rate, we are staying at Coronado Springs in a preferred King room. We also have much fewer ADRs than we normally would have. I have never been very good at sticking to my Disney budget and we do have a couple of extras that we may do, but I am pretty content with how it is all shaping up. In reality, I just want to be in my favorite place with my favorite person. As much as we love going with the boys, it’s nice to be able to go and just enjoy Disney without having to take care of kids. Since this trip is a couple of months away, I already have some plans in place and I will update on those soon.

You'll have such a great time on the trip with your husband! I stayed at Coronado Springs a few years ago and thought it was very nice - and so convenient to several parks! The pool (and hot tub!) there are also SO nice - it may be nice to have a relaxing afternoon or two sitting and enjoying beverages by the pool!

It would be hard for me to hold back on the ADR's, too - I have an ADR problem! :laughing: The good news is there is TONS of yummy food at the QS spots and food stands. The other good news is since there are only two of you, it's much easier to add a last-minute ADR if you decide you just can't miss a restaurant! (In my 2016 trip, I booked both Boma brunch and lunch at Prime Time about an hour before I ate there! I was a party of one, but as I was seated at a table for two it certainly would've held you!)

I have never been very good at sticking to my Disney budget
I can relate... :rolleyes1

Really though, this does make a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Great use of the tickets and it's nice that you guys are getting bonus trip.

Coronado Springs is one of my favorite resorts! Congrats to your husband on the upcoming graduation and what a perfect use of extra tickets!

It’s always funny when he comes across something and needs to tell me about.

:rotfl: Literally happens all the time with me and DBF! I'm like um hello do you know who you're talking to lol

You'll have such a great time on the trip with your husband! I stayed at Coronado Springs a few years ago and thought it was very nice - and so convenient to several parks! The pool (and hot tub!) there are also SO nice - it may be nice to have a relaxing afternoon or two sitting and enjoying beverages by the pool!
I am so excited to stay there. We never go to the pool without the kids, we're not pool people but I need to check this one out. I am excited to be able to check it out once all the construction is complete too.

It would be hard for me to hold back on the ADR's, too - I have an ADR problem! :laughing: The good news is there is TONS of yummy food at the QS spots and food stands. The other good news is since there are only two of you, it's much easier to add a last-minute ADR if you decide you just can't miss a restaurant! (In my 2016 trip, I booked both Boma brunch and lunch at Prime Time about an hour before I ate there! I was a party of one, but as I was seated at a table for two it certainly would've held you!)
I have an ADR problem too, DH makes fun of me. Since we do have free dining in December, I know we;ll be eating well then, and I am excited to try some new qs this time.

I can relate... :rolleyes1

Really though, this does make a lot of sense in a lot of ways. Great use of the tickets and it's nice that you guys are getting bonus trip.
I am always looking for a way to add more trips :rotfl:

Coronado Springs is one of my favorite resorts! Congrats to your husband on the upcoming graduation and what a perfect use of extra tickets!
Thank you, I can't wait to just kick back and relax once he's done.

:rotfl: Literally happens all the time with me and DBF! I'm like um hello do you know who you're talking to lol
I guess we should be grateful that they're showing an interest, but it does get annoying :laughing:

Today is ADR day for our trip in December :cool1:. I figured I should probably get going on the introductions and trip details for this one.

Introductions:

Ashley & Joe

You know us, and if not, see above post ;)

C

C is our oldest child. If any of kids will be obsessed for life, it’s this one. C is 9, an avid reader, and spectacular artist. He took his first trip at almost 4, and he was a thrill junkie, even conquering tower of terror. Now he is much more reserved, and opts out of many of the thrills, but he loves the classics. He fancies himself a mini Disney historian who loves learning about Walt and the parks. He desperately wants to do a tour like Backstage Magic, for now though he spends his time hunting hidden mickeys in the park.

J

J is 6 years old, and just warming up to Disney. He is also a great artist, but also my sporty kids, loving everything from soccer to basketball and everything in between. He of course enjoys Disney shows and movies, but the parks hasn't really been his thing until recently. He is starting to like thrill rides and went from refusal to ride to loving them, his favorites being Slinky Dog Dash and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

N

N is 4 years old and as the baby of the family, he can be your typical youngest child. He is my little sidekick and can't wait to go back to WDW. He keeps talking about wanting to go on the thrill rides, even though he hated them on our last trip :confused3. It will be very interesting to see how he does this trip.

Mom and Dad

They really aren't Disney people at all, but they know how much we love and love experiencing it with our kids. They have joined us on many trips in the past, and we love having them with us. They currently live is Bellevue, WA, so we need every chance we have to spend time with them.

David (brother), Aleaha (SIL), and Mikayla

I am slowly turning them into Disney people :rotfl2:I booked and planned their first anniversary trip in 2017. And now that they have Mikayla, they can't wait to do it all with her.

This trip is still up in the air in some regards. For sure my family of five is going. We booked the bounceback in September, and I have kind of gone through the backstory in my previous post. I just really wanted to take my kids at Christmas. Next year is the last year for C in elementary school, and if we want to avoid having to actually go at Christmas, this is kind of my last chance.

My mom wants to treat all of to this trip. It has been her goal for a couple years now, for all ten of us (my family, brother and his family, and my mom and dad) to take a trip together. I have lost count of how many trips I have booked and started to plan, only to have to cancel. It has been tough to get the stars to align and that is still true for this December trip. My mom who is a teacher started in a new school district this year, and she is still unsure she can get the time off to come down. My dad travels a lot for his job and sometimes doesn’t know where he will be until a few weeks before. We are hoping they can at least come down for part of the trip. My brother’s family, has had the most difficult schedule to plan around. His wife is currently in school and has finals the week we are in Disney. She won’t know until the fall if she can do one of them early and then they can come down for part of the time as well. Of course this is all very stressful to not know who will be there when I have to make dining reservations soon. So far the things we do know are as follows:

Yacht Club Garden view room December 7-15th

6-day park hoppers

Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party

Disney Dining plan

That's all for now. Still have many plans to talk about for our July trip and then will come back to this one.

Joining in! How great you are able to squeeze in 2 trips! Our first trip was in 1987 - our boys were 5 and 7. We went because I thought that's just something parents need to do (I had never been either). Well, I'm the one who fell in love! I've lost count but I have around 20 trips under my belt. We haven't been since Dec. 2017 and I'm really itching to go again. Looking forward to reading about your planning and how the trips go!

Sounds stressful trying to plan for December when everyone's schedules are up in the air! Hopefully everyone will get to go, that would be so nice!

Your initial plans for your December trip sound great! I'd love to stay at an Epcot area resort - the Beach or Yacht club in particular.

Traveling with a group sounds stressful, especially if you're not sure if they're able to come along. I hope they're able to join you for some of the fun and that the uncertainty doesn't cause too much stress! (Darn Disney and all their planning requirements for meals, Fastpasses, etc. - it makes it pretty tough to make last-minute plans!)

First of all, I just want to say that I hope the stars do align and everyone can go and enjoy Disney World together, easy peasy.

That said, I'm getting stressed for you just reading about all the question marks that you have to work through. Good luck!

Joining in! How great you are able to squeeze in 2 trips! Our first trip was in 1987 - our boys were 5 and 7. We went because I thought that's just something parents need to do (I had never been either). Well, I'm the one who fell in love! I've lost count but I have around 20 trips under my belt. We haven't been since Dec. 2017 and I'm really itching to go again. Looking forward to reading about your planning and how the trips go!
That's for sure me too. The boys like it, but the grown ups LOVE it. Hence the reason we get an extra trip :rotfl:

Sounds stressful trying to plan for December when everyone's schedules are up in the air! Hopefully everyone will get to go, that would be so nice!
It seems pretty likely that everyone will get to go at this point, just waiting for official confirmation. But even if it doesn't work out it doesn't change our plans too much.

Your initial plans for your December trip sound great! I'd love to stay at an Epcot area resort - the Beach or Yacht club in particular.
I am so excited to stay here. We'd never be able to afford it on our own right now, so we are so appreciative of the opportunity.

Traveling with a group sounds stressful, especially if you're not sure if they're able to come along. I hope they're able to join you for some of the fun and that the uncertainty doesn't cause too much stress! (Darn Disney and all their planning requirements for meals, Fastpasses, etc. - it makes it pretty tough to make last-minute plans!)
Yes, Disney certainly doesn't help with their need to have evertyhing planned. Thankfully we should know before fastpasses need to be made. Any changes after that could negatively impact the trip.

First of all, I just want to say that I hope the stars do align and everyone can go and enjoy Disney World together, easy peasy.
Thank you I hope that too

That said, I'm getting stressed for you just reading about all the question marks that you have to work through. Good luck!
:rotfl:I feel like I should be more stressed about it than I am. For now, whether or not they come won't change our plans. We should have all our ducks in a row before FP and that's the main thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts