The STAND BY LINES

Forevermarypoppins

DIS Veteran
My FP's are set and I'm given up a lot of hope of getting to do anymore than 3 attractions a park, maybe 4. So then I'm wondering of days past when I handed the CM my paper FP ticket and got in my special FP line and passed and passed ALL THOSE who were in the Stand By line. It always seemed like so many of them were clueless as to how we, the special ones, got to move ahead so quickly. Is it still like that way? Are the stand-by lines still long, do the ones in the FP lines still move ahead quickly?

My FP's are set and I'm given up a lot of hope of getting to do anymore than 3 attractions a park, maybe 4. So then I'm wondering of days past when I handed the CM my paper FP ticket and got in my special FP line and passed and passed ALL THOSE who were in the Stand By line.
1. It always seemed like so many of them were clueless as to how we, the special ones, got to move ahead so quickly.
2. Is it still like that way? Are the stand-by lines still long,
3. do the ones in the FP lines still move ahead quickly?
1. I have to think much of that was what YOU were reading into it.
I used dozens of paper FPs over the years and didn't get accusing looks from guests in Standby.
2. Pretty much.
3. Yes.

Last edited:

We rarely get in a line of over 20 minutes, never over 30. Use MDE to get multiple fast passes throughout the day, even if you have to criss cross the park. We average 8-10 or more FP+ a day usually.

If you rope drop you should be able to do 3-4 rides in the first hour. Have a plan, stay ahead of the crowds, be smart and you will be fine. Do the big crowd eaters in the middle of the day when lines are long and then hit up your favorites again the last hour. In a dozen trips over the same amount of years I have only waited more than 30 minutes once since my first trip: FoP at the end of the night we waited about 50 minutes after hopping in line just before park close. No need to stress out if you are prepared.

There were some quite long Fastpass lines (usually at the scanners because someone was having a problem or people waiting for their fastpass right by the entrance) but we've never waited more then 15-20 minutes.

I think there was a time when many didn't have a clue about the paper Fastpasses and I'm sure that still exists to a lesser extent with the electronic version. And I'm sure there's still a good number that don't do them in advance and just do "day of", whether they purchase at the gate or are just unaware. I think there is more of a general knowledge of Fastpasses now simply because they are almost at every attraction where there might be a line. Back in the paper days there were far fewer attractions that used it.

I can't agree with giving up hope on doing more than "3 attractions a park, maybe 4". Even on a busy day, FP's beyond the first 3 are generally available, except for the biggest headliners (FoP, 7DMT, etc). Especially in Magic Kingdom, where there are many attractions that use FP, you should have no problem using 6 or so FP's during the day...and you don't have to be there open to close to do it.

My FP's are set and I'm given up a lot of hope of getting to do anymore than 3 attractions a park, maybe 4. So then I'm wondering of days past when I handed the CM my paper FP ticket and got in my special FP line and passed and passed ALL THOSE who were in the Stand By line. It always seemed like so many of them were clueless as to how we, the special ones, got to move ahead so quickly. Is it still like that way? Are the stand-by lines still long, do the ones in the FP lines still move ahead quickly?

I'm not quite sure if you're serious or sarcastic, but I don't agree at all.

In a normal 6 hour park visit, we can easily do 8-10 attractions....probably more if we really tried. There are still plenty of attractions that can be done w/out FP+. Too many to name them all, but as examples...Laugh Floor, PeopleMover, CoP, Teacups, Spaceship Earth, Living w/the Land, Nemo, Muppets, Star Tours (depending on time of day), Tough to be a Bug, Dinosaur (depending on time of day), Kali, etc....

Yes, FP+ still has dedicated lines, and you go through quickly.

I would never go to Disney, or any theme park for that matter, if I thought I was only going to be able to ride 3 rides in one day. Tickets are way too expensive for that!!

Yes I know Disney isn't just a theme park. It isn't just about rides. It's an experience. But we don't go that often so we aren't spending thousands of dollars to walk around and smell the roses for a week.

I think at this point most people know about and use FP. The FP lines do move quickly but I’ve had times I’ve still spent 20 minutes or so in a FP line. The only ride we wont FP is PPF, because the kids enjoy the queue so much. We always RD that one. We have no problem getting a fourth, fifth, sixth and even more FP, even on busy days. And there will also be times you just happen across a short standby line (even on busier days), we always take advantage of that too. You can get plenty done in a day. Most important thing is to get there early.

I guess there are lots in the SB line who are still clueless for a variety of reasons ..... they did no homework, they think only onsite guests can get FP+, they think you have to pay for it like Universal, they didn't know you can get a 4th or they are just plain clueless.

Sometimes they are in that line because they haven't used up their first 3 so can't get another so why not just line up or they have them all booked later at another park but figured they would enjoy this park best they can. No reason to assume ALL are clueless.

I've seen an attraction CM actually set up a ladies MDE so she could do it, seen many whip out their hard ticket or scan their MB thinking it was an automatic FP (makes no sense since we all have one or another) but again, didn't do their homework. Very common to see CMs trying to explain FP+.

As to your belief you will only do 4 attractions .............. if so that would be your choice. We book 3 early then roll #4 all day long. I think our top number of FP+ was around 20. The minute we scan the 1st we try to back up the time on the 2nd and so on. #4 we book as soon as we scan #3 and repeat. We try to pick up attractions close by so we can walk from one FP+ to another without wasting too much time. If we see a short line for our next FP+ we jump in line and change the FP+ to something else. 5-6 trips already this year .... Often finish 4 in my first hour and then rolled the rest of the day. We've been able to book EVERYTHING at Epcot in one day (3 of us). Been able to book all at MK but 7DMT, book all at AK but FoP, book all at DHS but SDD. Last weekend I got up Saturday morning with no FP+ and looked to see what was available. Frozen at Epcot, where we often walk past a huge line even though we just booked it. So we headed straight to Epcot ... Frozen had a 60 minute wait but I walked right in ...

Last edited:
I guess there are lots in the SB line who are still clueless for a variety of reasons ..... they did no homework, they think only onsite guests can get FP+, they think you have to pay for it like Universal, they didn't know you can get a 4th or they are just plain clueless.

This is the honest truth. There is still so much ignorance about how FP+ works. Just yesterday at work I had a guy who’s been multiple times claim that you can get FP+ a year in advance(!) and was talking to another coworker who balked at FP+ because she thought there was a fee, and was shocked when I said they were free.

I don’t think folks really get how much Disney fans who are plugged into The Dis, blogs, podcasts, etc are a distinct minority when it comes to WDW guests. Even in the FB planning groups I see people operating under really odd misconceptions about basic WDW things that we all take for granted as common knowledge.

Why do you think you will only get on 3/4 attractions at a park in a day? We have 2 toddlers (so we move pretty slowly) and we can do that many rides before 10 am after a 9 am rope drop. There are many rides and attractions that don’t need FP+ at all.

After we use our first 3 Fastpasses, we book more. We try to book our first 3 for 10/11/12 or 11/12/1 so there is still plenty of day left to book more. On our past 3 trips we have had no trouble getting 4th/5th (and sometimes more) Fastpasses.

We did Disney last year with a party of 15. 8 of the 15 were children between the ages of 2 and 13. Even with a group that large, we easily used 6-8 fastpasses per day, and we were able to tackle almost all attractions in HS, AK, and Epcot. We were able to tackle all of MK over 2 days. And that was all while dragging around 8 kids that constantly needed to use the bathroom, get a snack, walked slow, and got distracted by everything. That also included stopping for a lot of pictures and character meet and greets. You will most certainly be able to do more than 4 attractions per day. Just use your fastpasses wisely, book the three original ones for first thing in the morning, and then take advantage of being able to book additional passes once the first three have been used. Also, PLAN! Plan how you are going to tackle the park, and watch wait times and take advantage of rides with lower wait times when you can. If you get there at park opening and stay till closing, you will absolutely get more than 4 attractions per day. Also, fastpass lines move quick for the most part, and no one in the standby line really cares.

I think at this point most people know about and use FP.

You'd think so, but I'm dead serious that every day we're in the parks, we see at least a few people/groups who either don't know, don't understand or are just trying to pretend they don't and hope they can get into FP+ lines. They'll walk up to the tap point and put their card/MB against it and look bewildered when the CM explains what the line is for.

you can try move forward your 2nd and 3rd FP as soon as you tap your 1st FP.

For example, if your FP are 9.30, 10.45 and 11.50, you can try moving your 10.45 to like..9.45 or 9.50 as soon as you tap your first FP. Then if you tap your 2nd FP at 9.45, you can move your 11.50 to like..10.00 so by 10.00 you can try get a 4th FP

You'd think so, but I'm dead serious that every day we're in the parks, we see at least a few people/groups who either don't know, don't understand or are just trying to pretend they don't and hope they can get into FP+ lines. They'll walk up to the tap point and put their card/MB against it and look bewildered when the CM explains what the line is for.

I have explained FP+ to people before they've gone on a trip and they still don't use it. Even if they are buying same day tickets I tell them to get MDE that day and make FP+ while in the park. Nope. To them it's just ridiculous that you have to preplan rides.

I feel bad for the poor CMs who have to deal with these people. You’d think that people who are spending thousands of dollars on their trip would spend some time researching the parks so they could get the most out of their trip. I guess these people are the same ones who leave WDW saying they hardly got on any rides and proclaiming they’ll never return.

I don't understand why you think you're only going to do 3-4 attractions. The only way I could see that would be if you were there on say, Christmas Day, and didn't use FP at all. We scheduled our FP for mid-morning, so we got there at RD, did some walk-ons, then did our FP+ rides, then continued to tap and get more FP throughout the day.

As for getting looks for using FP, we've never gotten looks, nor have we cared. Everyone has them built into their tickets. I'm not gonna make my family wait in a long standby line instead of using FP just because someone else didn't bother to do their research, KWIM? But if someone asks, I'm happy to help them learn how to use FP!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!