The Snarkiest Safari That Ever Sailed! An October 2018, Food & Wine Trip! Complete 4/26/19!!

Wait, what?? While I was on the DME on my way to the Poly, Mike was at the airport picking me up

Howdy - Mike here as my nurse is napping before work tonight. I would end up doing that too while thinking I had it all under control :) Love your reports - glad to see another!

Mike's favorite. He loves this one even more than IASW.

Me too! Very much enjoy IASW too but HM always gets a FP.

what would henceforth become known as "Mike's Bench."

Sounds like a winner. Look forward to sitting on Mike's Bench. :)

which was exactly what we requested.

Nice! I had horrible luck with room requests this year. Only got one of four.

Our standard view…

Not bad at all.

I'm a terrible day sleeper so I just read and relaxed a bit.

Me too. Jim can drop and sleep anywhere but I can never seem to do it.

we opened our mugs and had a mini photo shoot.

Those are just really cool!

I will probably never take a Minnie Van-as much as I love Minnie and think the vans are super adorable, I think the price of them is absolutely outrageous…just my personal opinion.

I feel the same way. We've used Uber a few times and it's a fraction of the price and works just fine.

We were literally the only people on it.

Nice! We had the same thing happen to us in October.

They were starting with DHS, then going to EPCOT, MK and AK before flying out to Anaheim and doing DL and DCA.

Wow! That's just crazy. I'll have to look it up if I get a minute.

she did it AGAIN.

:furious:

my arm gets super tired pulling that string

I always tell myself I'm going to work on my arm muscles before a trip just for this ride but I never do. :rotfl:

I am slightly annoyed that none of my SDD pics showed up in my memory maker from this morning.

This seems to be a problem a lot. We had one ride in October where the cameras definitely did not go off. Seems annoying that they are already having the cameras malfunction and it's only been open a few months.

I'm really hoping they add some HS EMM days in May! If they follow the same pattern there might be one on 5/3 and I think I'm going to do it.

And this is why we get along so well :-)

And this is also why we will be stumbling around in May, not knowing what's going on :rotfl:

Was it these folks? I'd seen this on People last month

Yes! That's them! Isn't that so cool?

Jeez, Mike and I were up early, maybe we should have tried it too. Right from AK I could have gone to MCO and Mike could have gotten on a train and……………..literally gotten there a week later :rolleyes1 Yea, I guess we won't be doing that anytime soon :sad1:

Totally look like something up my alley.

This wasn't awful, there just wasn't much to this platter. I did pick at a couple slices of the ham or whatever it was. I think it needed some cheese or something :confused3

We never got ours either. I'm sure we'll never have this problem when they replace the photo pass peeps with a box :P

:laughing: True! What could possibly go wrong??

I will all be there for NYE 2019 next year...maybe you should start planning :-D

Ack! Don't tempt me!!

Love your reports - glad to see another!

Welcome!! And thanks! :-)

Very much enjoy IASW too but HM always gets a FP.

Same! We went on HM more than any other ride and we never got sick of it :P

I had horrible luck with room requests this year. Only got one of four.

That stinks. I think I'm about 50/50 at this point. Though I now have no faith in that system whatsoever.

I always tell myself I'm going to work on my arm muscles before a trip just for this ride but I never do. :rotfl:

I have zero upper body strength, and it's just getting worse as I get older :crazy2:

I'm really hoping they add some HS EMM days in May! If they follow the same pattern there might be one on 5/3 and I think I'm going to do it.

Oh no! If they do, me and @kastoney will have to fly down the night before and join you!

we were Kings of the Bus!
Yay! I'm so glad that worked out. I think I'm the only person in the world who finds the whole Uber/Lyft process stressful, so I'd have probably just hoped for the best with a bus! :laughing:

enhance
This is a great picture! And proves how early it was that day!

they were doing 6 parks in one day!
:scared1: It sounds completely crazy... but I must admit I'm completely envious :laughing:

The front was even better and I totally forgot about being annoyed in line ::yes::
Nice! I understand completely your annoyance about getting jabbed from behind... it wasn't getting anyone to the front of the line faster and is just rude regardless. As a solo traveler, this happens to me constantly and I've learned a trick. I smile sweetly and say "Oh, I'm sorry. Would you prefer to just go ahead?" and 95% of the time it stops the person/people in their tracks and they realize how obnoxious they're acting, shaking their head "no" and giving me extra space:rotfl:

Super cute picture!

What a great morning at DHS. Sounds like EMM was worth every penny - I never think to do this, but really ought to in the future. I hate rope drop! :faint:

I think I'm the only person in the world who finds the whole Uber/Lyft process stressful,

Nope, I used uber once (in WDW last April when I was rushing to get to my FP at DHS :rotfl:)and the guy went to The CR while I was waiting at BLT. I ended up running over there and then we got stuck in traffic. The whole thing was just awkward :crazy2:

It sounds completely crazy... but I must admit I'm completely envious :laughing:

Same, and yet I don't see myself ever doing that!

As a solo traveler, this happens to me constantly and I've learned a trick. I smile sweetly and say "Oh, I'm sorry. Would you prefer to just go ahead?" and 95% of the time it stops the person/people in their tracks and they realize how obnoxious they're acting, shaking their head "no" and giving me extra space:rotfl:

That's perfect! I totally should have done that!

Sounds like EMM was worth every penny - I never think to do this, but really ought to in the future. I hate rope drop!

I check every day to see if they've opened April dates yet…and praying they add Fridays!

October 17, 2018
A fun new game...what's missing?

Okay...I'm going to see how observant y'all are. Notice anything different about me in the last two pictures I posted of myself?

Here they are again so you don't have to even bother going back:

Picture 1:
upload_2018-11-20_19-4-42.png

Picture 2:
upload_2018-11-20_19-6-15.png
I'll give you a minute...and no, it's not just that my eyes were open in the second one...though that is also true :oops:
Sometime between getting those two photopass pictures taken, I had lost my magic band. Thank goodness we had stopped for a photopass and I went to scan my band and it wasn't on. Otherwise, I probably would have gotten all the way to EPCOT and then had to deal with it there.

As it was, I was trying to rack my brain trying to remember where it could have fallen off. The only place I went between TSL and that photopass was breakfast at the ABC Commissary, so we headed back that way. I was, of course, scanning the ground just in case it had fallen off just while I was walking but I didn't come across it.

We finally got back to the ABC Commissary and wouldn't you know...breakfast was over and the doors were locked?! I ended up knocking waving and finally got someone's attention who was trying to tell me they were closed. I started making frantic motions and pointing to my wrist...this was like a very bad game of Charades, people. She finally caught on and came and unlocked the door. I explained my situation and she told me to go ahead and look around where I was sitting and meanwhile she would check in the back.

A few minutes later, as I was going up and down the rows of tables, the very nice CM came back...and she had my band! :cool1:

I was so relieved! I know I could have gotten a replacement but I didn't want an ugly gray one, I wanted the cute orange Halloween one that matched Mike's :goodvibes

I don't even know how it got knocked off, but from then on, I used my DVC slider over the two ends to keep it kind of locked on.

Crises averted, NOW we could finally leave DHS and head to EPCOT.
We had some Fastpasses to get to, after all, and we were already in our window:

upload_2018-11-20_19-19-12.png

upload_2018-11-20_19-19-31.png

We were still full from breakfast and we decided to walk some of it off. Now, we stayed at the BC in 2013 and walked back and forth between DHS and EPCOT a few times that trip, but this time the walk seemed REALLY long.
I think with all the construction and the path having to go waaayyyy around it, it just made the walk seems endless.

Speaking of construction, what a mess...
upload_2018-11-20_19-23-24.png

I'm having some technical difficulties and will have to continue this update in another post.

Totally off topic, but normally I use Safari for everything, including these boards and updating my TR. Well, I've been noticing that half of the emojis in Safari show as question marks, but they are all there when I use Google Chrome. So I decided to try to update now with Chrome but I keep getting error messages that my pictures are too large. Ugh...back to Safari I go, emojis or no emojis!

Sorry about the glitch, folks! I'll be back soon to finish...I'm sure you're all dying to know whether or not we got to EPCOT in time for our SSE fastpass :P

I had lost my magic band.

I did notice that on my second pass after you reposting the pics. :scared1:

the very nice CM came back...and she had my band! :cool1:

woohoo - glad they found it. I have had good experience with being able to locate a couple lost items - surprising considering how many ppl pass through.

I guess there are not screens large enough for them to hide that.

Nope, I used uber once (in WDW last April when I was rushing to get to my FP at DHS :rotfl:)and the guy went to The CR while I was waiting at BLT. I ended up running over there and then we got stuck in traffic. The whole thing was just awkward :crazy2:
Ugh, exactly! The only time I've used it, it took 30 minutes to explain to our driver where we were. She was lovely, but just couldn't figure out how to reach us. I could have walked in half the time :laughing:

I check every day to see if they've opened April dates yet…and praying they add Fridays!
Fingers crossed for you!

Notice anything different about me in the last two pictures I posted of myself?
Um... yep :eek:

A few minutes later, as I was going up and down the rows of tables, the very nice CM came back...and she had my band! :cool1:
PHEW! I'm so glad this didn't become a bigger hassle/more time consuming to deal with!

:scared: Yuck! That's worse than I'd imagined.

Yes! Anxious awaiting news about that SSE FP ;) Gotta love computer glitches... NOT :faint:

I had lost my magic band.

Oh no! :scared1:

A few minutes later, as I was going up and down the rows of tables, the very nice CM came back...and she had my band!

Whew! Glad you were able to find it. I've bumped mine and knocked it off a few times but always noticed. I did lock mine in my room one time and had to get a grey one at the front desk. That's not an issue now though since you can unlock your room using MDE.

Wow! That is a mess.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I thought maybe I could sneak in a quick update before the craziness of the day starts.
Who else is cooking the meal today?
I don't love doing it,but the only other one in my family who would do it is my mom and she's getting too old, plus her house is too small to fit everyone. I've been doing it almost 20 years now! My mom still makes her stuffing though, and she'll come help with the meal so it's really a team effort.

For those of you cooking, I hope you have a teammate half as good as my mom :P

Anyway, I just wanted to show y'all what I am talking about with the emojis…

This is a screenshot I just took. See how many of them are showing as question marks?
Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 6.28.15 AM.png

If I switch to Chrome, they are still there. But then I had the annoying thing with the pictures.
So I guess I'll just continue in Safari, but don't be offended if my Welcome isn't the fun emoji one!

Here's my Welcome, now: :worship:

Sad, isn't it? :sad2:

Ugh…I give up. Back to the TR…

The Squishiest Boat Ride That's Ever Sailed

I left off with Mike and I taking the longest walk EVER from DHS to EPCOT.

To be fair, this construction is behind a scrim, I just took a picture over it. It still seems like there's a LOT of work to be done…
enhance

Once we were past all the construction walls, the view was much more pleasant:
enhance

We made it into EPCOT by 11, so we still had plenty of time to make our SSE FP.
The crowds today were very manageable. It seemed as the week went on it got busier and busier though.
enhance

We were not hungry today at all, but we did head over to the Festival Center to check-in and get our AP magnet.
Our goal was to check into EPCOT 4 times to get the cutting board…would we manage this?

After securing our magnet, we rode SSE, then headed back to do Soarin' and LWTL before heading out.

enhance

And thanks to @pepperandchips , I cannot see this without thinking "Space Jesus," now :rotfl2:
enhance

Mike loves Soarin' which kind of surprises me because it's kind of high and a little scary. He won't even try FOP though I tell him it's like Soarin', only much much better. What do you guys think? If someone can ride Soarin and enjoy it, couldn't they also ride FOP?
enhance

Here's a weird thing.
We asked to wait for the front for LWTL (I like the way the pictures come out better), and they stuck us in the front with two other, kind of larger people. Like, seriously?? We were so squished together that I had to try to mash myself up next to Mike to try to not rub legs and arms with my seat mate.
We would have been happy to wait and we were in fact standing aside waiting for the next boat.
It's not like LWTL is POTC busy and they need to overload the boats…I think the CM was just being a crank and was annoyed that we asked for the front.

In any case, my pictures did come out nice:
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After our not so pleasant ride, we were ready to head out.
We did stop for some pics and to watch the Jammitors for a bit, though we would catch the full show later in the week.
They are very good and it's a fun little show to watch.

enhance

enhance

Since we went through the park back to front, we had to take some SSE/Food and Wine sign pics.

enhance

enhance

enhance

I took this pic from the monorail station of the new GOTG structure going up:
enhance

It looks like it's going to be huge!

Once back in the room we headed to the pool.
I left my phone to charge so we don't have any pool pictures this day, but we sat by the quiet pool which is super relaxing and one of my favorite places to be ::yes::

That evening we had an ADR at one of Mike's favorite restaurants, Homecomin', for 5:30.
Well, after a series of dumb events on our parts, we ended up being really late to our dinner but having a chance encounter with someone famous.
Any ideas who??

That'll be up next…I have to go get to work on my turkey!

Have a wonderful holiday!!

Last edited:
You were so lucky that you found your band!

I know! I am still kind of surprised I did!

woohoo - glad they found it. I have had good experience with being able to locate a couple lost items - surprising considering how many ppl pass through.

That is surprising! I think if I had waited any longer, it would have been sent off to Lost and Found and that would have been that. Can you imagine how many magic bands they must find??

I guess there are not screens large enough for them to hide that.

I cheated... I stuck my arms up over the scrim :P

Fingers crossed for you!

Thank you! Still nothing!

PHEW! I'm so glad this didn't become a bigger hassle/more time consuming to deal with!

I now…kind of shocked that it didn't!

I did lock mine in my room one time and had to get a grey one at the front desk.

But…it's gray :sad1:

Mike loves Soarin' which kind of surprises me because it's kind of high and a little scary. He won't even try FOP though I tell him it's like Soarin', only much much better. What do you guys think? If someone can ride Soarin and enjoy it, couldn't they also ride FOP?
Hmmm...not sure. I guess the big difference is the way you sit. Soarin' you're very secure and sitting back in a chair. FOP you're basically on a tipping bike and leaning into the screen. I loved FOP and I'm not really afraid of heights, but I can see how FOP might be scary for someone who is. I guess leaning into the screen gives the sensation that you're falling.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Thank you! I hope yours was lovely :goodvibes

See how many of them are showing as question marks?
How annoying! And some of the really good ones too :sad2:

If someone can ride Soarin and enjoy it, couldn't they also ride FOP?
I think so! But I'm absolutely obsessed with FOP so I'm probably biased in my opinion :laughing:

We asked to wait for the front for LWTL (I like the way the pictures come out better), and they stuck us in the front with two other, kind of larger people. Like, seriously??
That seems so unnecessary. I usually travel solo and they give me a whole row to myself 95% of the time regardless :confused3 The CMs must have been cranky, indeed.

we ended up being really late to our dinner but having a chance encounter with someone famous.
Any ideas who??
Sorry about the events leading up to the lateness, but I'm REALLY excited to hear about who!!! :hyper:

enhance
I think FoP is less scary than Soarin for someone who hates heights! With FoP at least you always have floor under your seat. And you are pretty locked in there-not just a small seatbelt like on Soarin

I think FoP is less scary than Soarin for someone who hates heights! With FoP at least you always have floor under your seat. And you are pretty locked in there-not just a small seatbelt like on Soarin
My husband has a fear of heights and FOP was scarier for him than Soarin.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday and have been able to relax after all that work.

they stuck us in the front with two other, kind of larger people. Like, seriously?? We were so squished together that I had to try to mash myself up next to Mike to try to not rub legs and arms with my seat mate.

Theme park pet peeve here - I think on rides like this, where there are not designated spaces for each rider, they should only seat groups from the same party together. While I am sure my fellow seatmate is a lovely person, sharing that close of quarters is not really necessary. mini rant over

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter