The Scooter Strikes Back-A F&W 2017 TR- Bonus Features, Link to new TR 3/22

Holy cow, that's a crazy travel day! Glad you finally got there!

Jill in CO

Day 1....
Because of changes in American’s frequent flyer point structure, we have started flying on Southwest. Their terminal at LAX is undergoing construction so the routine we did in August for our Denver trip was no longer viable. The curbside check in counter we had used was now walled off. We had a slight learning curve (yet again). They did have curbside agents, but they had temporary check in desks in front of the walls. ....

Ugh, airport construction is the pits.... Glad you were able to navigate it!

So I sat in row 24 while she sat in row 2. This flight I had THAT baby in the row behind me and before the plane took off I grabbed my noise canceling headphones out of my carry on and listened to my Disney mix playlist that I had downloaded from Spotify. While it didn’t cancel everything they made it much more pleasant than it would have been. Now if they could have done something about the kicking of my seat that would have been great!

Disney playlist = :cloud9:

ANYone kicking your seat = :headache::headache::headache:

The thing about not sitting with Fran was that I didn’t have easy access to my carry on where our food was placed. When we had three seats together, I placed it under the middle seat and it was really easy to get to. For the first flight I had brought Cheerios in a cup, but they didn’t have milk on board so there went second breakfast.

Ah, spoken like a true Hobbit.

:rotfl:

I had made three Roast beef and cheddar sandwiches, and Fran didn't want hers on the last flight. Now they were up in the overhead bin in my carry on, so I starved and drank water.
Sounds like a prison sentence!! :lmao:

Sorry about the blurry picture, it was dark and the bus was moving, so hard to photograph with the point and shoot.
z17FW1025DP07.jpg

It's a cool effect, actually!

In the room, I unpacked food and stuff and it wasn’t until 11PM that our suitcases arrived. This was an annoyance because the spaghetti and sauce were in there. We did eat some of the Roast beef and cheddar sandwiches while we were waiting, but I really wanted hot pasta, so I only ate half of a sandwich and saved my appetite for the dinner.

First I'm thinking, No way I could eat that late!! Then I'm remembering, Oh yeah, it's still only like 8pm for you!

He looks like such a sad, lonely little half-sandwich.... :sad1:

z17FW1025DP22.jpg

[/quote]

Oh the irony of V8 juice next to jugs of Mountain Dew!! :rotfl:

Well, you finally made it after quite an interesting travel day! Great place to come "home" to!! I've walked through SSR (I love all things horses....) on my way to "The entertainment area formerly known as DTD".

Looking forward to more!

Wow! I can't believe they mucked up on the scooter like that!

Yeah, they really did that well as far as screw ups go. Yet another thing to check when we travel.

The room looks really nice. There is no way I could have waited that long to make dinner; I would have given up long before!

I tend to be rather obsessive about food. I plan my dinners well in advance and I spend my days looking forward to what I'll be having for dinner. Sad, I know. I had been thinking about this spaghetti for weeks and really wanted to eat it! In fact all this reliving of my spaghetti dinner has made me want to put it on the menu soon. I already have made plans to make lasagna out of two of the packets of sauce for this Sunday night's dinner!

Wow, long day! On our first day I just keep telling myself it's really only 8PM at home when I'm looking at the clock that saying it's 11PM. No it doesn't usually work for me either. Lol

It did really help us get onto east coast time having such a long first day. But I did keep saying it's only 8 o'clock, and sometimes we eat this late...

I love a good mystery.

In a way it was a slight mystery how the events unfolded...but it will be a few days before the clues start popping up.

Aw, shucks Alison. That's what we're here for ya know.
Can't offer you physical support, but moral support never hurts.

The problem was that with so much going on I didn't even have the time to pop in here. When we took Amelia to the vet it was after band. We don't get home from band until 11PM. Between the concert, making sure we had enough cat food, packing, and cleaning up all the little cats poops (they still don't have the hang of using a littler box) I barely had time to get on here.

Sell one, use the cash to fix the other five?

No... I guess not, because eventually you get to "Sell one to fix the other one." And then what do you do?

Well all there is to "fix" is our address with the DMV. I did notice that we received a renewal in the mail for one of the Cougars at our current house, the other day.

<rethinking decision to come to Cali in April.... tickets all bought.... guess I'm committed... or need to be...>

Don't worry about April, weather then is usually nice. It's usually overcast, or it it's sunny it rarely gets in the 80s. Temperatures over 100° usually happen between August and October.

The problem was that with so much going on I didn't even have the time to pop in here. When we took Amelia to the vet it was after band. We don't get home from band until 11PM. Between the concert, making sure we had enough cat food, packing, and cleaning up all the little cats poops (they still don't have the hang of using a littler box) I barely had time to get on here.

:hug:

Well all there is to "fix" is our address with the DMV.

Oh! Well, that only means standing in line for 37 days.

I did notice that we received a renewal in the mail for one of the Cougars at our current house, the other day.

Cats and cougars! Wow! We should have come to your place instead of the petting zoo.

Don't worry about April, weather then is usually nice. It's usually overcast, or it it's sunny it rarely gets in the 80s. Temperatures over 100° usually happen between August and October.

I know. Was kidding. Don't forget that's (roughly) when we were there this year.

Do I hear a "3:45"?

It's not an auction! :laughing:

You know you're running late when there isn't time to stop for an Egg McMuffin

Seriously. But then again the McDonald's on the way to anywhere is kind of lame and there is always a long line at the drive through. I've tried walking inside too and you wait almost just as long.

Like a well oiled machine.

That's us!

I must be tired.
I read that as "an almost croissant". What the heck is an "almost croissant"??

It doesn't have the layers of flaky pastry, but ot is shaped like a crescent moon.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you did in fact board and take the flight.

In hindsight, I'm going to agree with you. We definitely did not teleport to Houston.

I see what you wrote later on... I bought those (not the most expensive (Bose?) ones mind you) and returned them when I got back. Wasn't impressed.

These are what we got. I don't think they had a "cancel" setting. I just assumed you had to have some kind of sound going for them to cancel anything.

z17FW1025HD01.jpg

Must've had more people to wait for to make it worth their while.

Their while. Not yours.

Definitely not ours, but I think about one third of the plane was on our flight.

:laughing: All right Alison! You go girl!

Time is a wasting!

This is a truism.
Although... I have had it happen once where the gate I exited was adjacent to the gate I needed to board on.

It was much better on the return flight. Different transfer airport though.

:laughing: Yeah! How stupid!

Well... that sucks.

It did. At least I can fit in a seat without spilling over....

A cute on? The baby was super cute?

I may get flamed for this, but I don't get all the fuss over baby humans....

Ah! See I didn't do that. I didn't listen to music. I just put on the "cancel" feature.

Like I said, I don't think ours actually had that feature. It had Bluetooth switch and a setting for a little USB thingy that you could put in your computer.

Okay, now that I cannot stand.

Yeah, it was major annoying.

Odd. Really?

I guess they only kept non-perishable beverages on board. They must have had non dairy creamer for the coffee. Blech.

:( That bites.

er... or, doesn't, rather.

:laughing:

Great. Meanwhile... you walk. :sad2:

Well, I had been sitting down all day.....

Old school. Just like they did it back in the day.

Except back in the day they sent you a little booklet with a code that they could scan and zip you on through. Now everyone just has their MBs. :sad2:

Still counts!

:banana:

So what was it? Down in the 50s? Colder???

I'm going to guess it was somewhere in the high 50's maybe low 60's. I wasn't freezing cold, but all I was wearing was a T-shirt and capris (in addition to my shoes and socks). I wouldn't have minded having my overshirt at that point. It was definitely brisk on the golf cart.

That's forever!

Pretty much, especially when your FP+ are ticking away....

Nice digs!

I thought so!

Not accessible? Don't you usually try to get that?

When you book DVC at four months out, you're lucky to find anything for eight nights in a row!

I never would have thought of that! How do you do that? I thought the tub had to be filled to run the jets... and you didn't have tons of bleach with you I wouldn't think?

I usually get three cleanings out of a 16oz bottle of bleach. I'll order it from the grocery service and then use about 1/3 the bottle each time. Just fill the tub past the jets and pour in a little bleach. The stuff is potent, it doesn't take much!

moot point, then. :sad2:

No, cause they came and fixed it even before the luggage arrived and mind you I called them around 9PM and the guy was right out there!

V8.... ever get up the nerve to try the Clamato? :lmao:

No....:rolleyes1 You'll have to fix me a drink when you get here. I still have all the ingredients, although I have been using the Worcestershire in cooking.

Man... can't catch a break to get breakfast! At least you found something that worked eventually.

I much preferred the Ham and Cheese panini that I had in August, but a Bagel and Cream Cheese works too.

That stinks. Sitting on the tarmac is never fun. At least you didn't miss your connection.

I was just blithely playing my game so I didn't notice how long it was. It's been so long since I took a flight with connections, I forgot about possibly missing it.

Well, that's actually surprisingly good service that they had the foresight to reserve seats.

I was impressed, and would have been more so if someone had notified us so I didn't have to go all the way back to row 24.

Oh man...brutal

I tried to think of it that I needed the exercise.

That's the downside to this whole MagicBand thing. They're great when the technology works. When it doesn't, total cluster @$#&.

So much so. Things are becoming so reliant on technology everything breaks down when it doesn't work.

Somebody clearly doesn't appreciate the fact that Disney World only has Coke products...

No she does not. She'll drink Coke zero in a pinch, but Diet Mtn Dew and Diet Dr. Pepper are her "go to" sodas.

I’m having anxiety reading about this travel day and I already knew the story :headache: Not much more could have gone wrong....

I try to look on the bright side. Our luggage made it! But by 10PM I was seriously worried about that too!

On one of our trips to OKW we arrived late and it took ages for them to deliver the bags. Of course I hadn’t thought to keep our pajamas in the carryon or I would have waited for them to be delivered in the morning.

I'm lucky that way. I always have my pajamas on! :teeth:

I had to laugh when you took charge with the wheelchair person. Times a wastin!

Exactly!

It's not an auction! :laughing:

Guess I won't win my bid, then.

Seriously. But then again the McDonald's on the way to anywhere is kind of lame and there is always a long line at the drive through. I've tried walking inside too and you wait almost just as long.

I usually find going inside is quicker. Especially if the weather outside is poor.

That's us!

::yes::

It doesn't have the layers of flaky pastry, but ot is shaped like a crescent moon.

Almost! So close!!

In hindsight, I'm going to agree with you. We definitely did not teleport to Houston.

You should have, though.
Think of the time saved!

Look into that.

These are what we got. I don't think they had a "cancel" setting. I just assumed you had to have some kind of sound going for them to cancel anything.

Mine had an on/off setting just for noise cancellation.
Maybe with music on... but... wouldn't any headphone drown out stuff then? :confused3

Definitely not ours, but I think about one third of the plane was on our flight.

That would do it all right.

I may get flamed for this, but I don't get all the fuss over baby humans....

Not from me.
Before we had our own, I didn't get it either.
I still don't, really.
But sometimes, a cute toddler reminds me of my own at that age and I'll smile.

A screaming toddler does not elicit a smile.

Like I said, I don't think ours actually had that feature. It had Bluetooth switch and a setting for a little USB thingy that you could put in your computer.

What was the USB for?

I guess they only kept non-perishable beverages on board. They must have had non dairy creamer for the coffee. Blech.

Just... no. That is not milk.

Well, I had been sitting down all day.....

Well, there you go, then!
Literally.

Except back in the day they sent you a little booklet with a code that they could scan and zip you on through. Now everyone just has their MBs. :sad2:

Well, actually... That's how all us foreign devils do it. They don't mail MBs out of the US.

I'm going to guess it was somewhere in the high 50's maybe low 60's. I wasn't freezing cold, but all I was wearing was a T-shirt and capris (in addition to my shoes and socks). I wouldn't have minded having my overshirt at that point. It was definitely brisk on the golf cart.

I can see that (considering your attire) that you'd be chilled.

When you book DVC at four months out, you're lucky to find anything for eight nights in a row!

Ah yes. Forgot about that.

I usually get three cleanings out of a 16oz bottle of bleach. I'll order it from the grocery service and then use about 1/3 the bottle each time. Just fill the tub past the jets and pour in a little bleach. The stuff is potent, it doesn't take much!

Ohhh... Okay. Got it. :)

No, cause they came and fixed it even before the luggage arrived and mind you I called them around 9PM and the guy was right out there!

Quick!

No....:rolleyes1 You'll have to fix me a drink when you get here. I still have all the ingredients, although I have been using the Worcestershire in cooking.

Do you dare??? ;)

So far so good, no scooter issues but I know it's coming. :(

Ugh on getting luggage so late. :headache:

We still haven't stayed at SSR yet aside from the Treehouses and it's our home resort. Michael is really wanting to go back to WDW; its been 4 years I think. :faint:

Holy cow, that's a crazy travel day! Glad you finally got there!

Jill in CO

You and me both!

Ugh, airport construction is the pits.... Glad you were able to navigate it!

Yeah and when we asked how long it will be going on for they said 2020. :faint:

Disney playlist = :cloud9:
ANYone kicking your seat = :headache::headache::headache:

::yes::

Ah, spoken like a true Hobbit.

Exactly!

Sounds like a prison sentence!! :lmao:

I felt like it. Getting a second glass of water was like pulling teeth.

It's a cool effect, actually!

Thanks! I picked the least blurry of the lot.

First I'm thinking, No way I could eat that late!! Then I'm remembering, Oh yeah, it's still only like 8pm for you!

Even then, we usually have second dinner on Tuesday nights after we come home from band.

He looks like such a sad, lonely little half-sandwich.... :sad1:

I thought it looked rather yummy! And not even squished.

Oh the irony of V8 juice next to jugs of Mountain Dew!! :rotfl:

Everything you need to get going in the morning, V8 for balance, and Mtn Dew for a jolt. Fran drinks it, I have coffee.

Well, you finally made it after quite an interesting travel day! Great place to come "home" to!! I've walked through SSR (I love all things horses....) on my way to "The entertainment area formerly known as DTD".

Looking forward to more!

It felt good to finally get into the tub and relax.

Oh! Well, that only means standing in line for 37 days.

Fran gets to bypass the line, courtesy of her disability.

Cats and cougars! Wow! We should have come to your place instead of the petting zoo.

Don't forget the coyotes! Oh yeah, and racoons and possums too!

I know. Was kidding. Don't forget that's (roughly) when we were there this year.

It was two weeks earlier, there will be a HUGE difference!

Or not

Guess I won't win my bid, then.

No contests on this TR.....

I usually find going inside is quicker. Especially if the weather outside is poor.

What do you mean? Like a rainy mist or 106°.... :rolleyes1

You should have, though.
Think of the time saved!

Look into that.

Did you hear that Elon Musk is designing a complex system of tunnels beneath LA where cars will be propelled along something akin to a really fast conveyor belt. It will be underground and supposedly reduce congestion as well as get folks across town fast.

Mine had an on/off setting just for noise cancellation.
Maybe with music on... but... wouldn't any headphone drown out stuff then? :confused3

Not the cheapie ones that came with my walkman.

Not from me.
Before we had our own, I didn't get it either.
I still don't, really.
But sometimes, a cute toddler reminds me of my own at that age and I'll smile.

A screaming toddler does not elicit a smile.

I can possibly see if you made the kid yourself. I had no desire to go through all the trials and tribulations involved. That's why I have million dollar kittens. Kahlua is now at the vet getting a transfusion, her red blood cells were between 9-10%. Amelia was in the normal range which is 30-45%.

What was the USB for?

You put it in your computer to computer to communicate wirelessly to the headphones. You know for watching movies and stuff. If you've ever had a wireless mouse, they have the same little sort of doodad.

Just... no. That is not milk.

No it is not. Now I know if I want my cereal, I have to buy milk in the airport.

Well, actually... That's how all us foreign devils do it. They don't mail MBs out of the US.

But don't you have your MB from last year? I declined a MB this year.

I can see that (considering your attire) that you'd be chilled.

It wasn't the last time on this trip.

Do you dare??? ;)

If an alcoholic drink was placed in front of me, I would taste it. But it would have to be that easy. When I have to make it myself I chicken out!

So far so good, no scooter issues but I know it's coming. :(

A few more updates, but the foreshadowing starts in about 3-4 more updates. Not exactly sure how I'm going to break up the days after days 2 & 3. Those are already written and waiting to post.

Ugh on getting luggage so late. :headache:

Considering we arrived just after 6PM, it took quite a long time.

We still haven't stayed at SSR yet aside from the Treehouses and it's our home resort. Michael is really wanting to go back to WDW; its been 4 years I think. :faint:

That was the year you and I were supposed to meet for the first time. Actually I think it was 2012, so five years. Didn't we meet on your birthday in 2013? And you loved Fran right from the start when she had a baggie in her pocket. :lmao:

I've never seen a real live possum.

Seriously? They're like giant rats. We had them all over at the old house, they'd run along the top of the fence. People put cat food out for the strays and they'd come by to eat that. Raccoons too. We stopped putting cat food outside when I opened the front door and two 30lbs raccoons were chowing down and they hissed at me!

We had baby possums living in a drawer in the workbench in our garage. They moved when we found them out! :rotfl:

Closest I've come is when Granny (On Beverly Hillbillies) would make her possum stew.

:crazy2:

You're trying to dissuade me?

No, just messin' with ya! And trying to be a smart a$$.

No contests on this TR.....

So we're all winners because we get to read it!

Did you hear that Elon Musk is designing a complex system of tunnels beneath LA where cars will be propelled along something akin to a really fast conveyor belt. It will be underground and supposedly reduce congestion as well as get folks across town fast.

I think that's a really good idea in a tectonically stable area such as where you are.

Not the cheapie ones that came with my walkman.

Well, no... but maybe any over the ear headphones?

I can possibly see if you made the kid yourself. I had no desire to go through all the trials and tribulations involved. That's why I have million dollar kittens. Kahlua is now at the vet getting a transfusion, her red blood cells were between 9-10%. Amelia was in the normal range which is 30-45%.

Oh, no! Poor kitty!

You put it in your computer to computer to communicate wirelessly to the headphones. You know for watching movies and stuff. If you've ever had a wireless mouse, they have the same little sort of doodad.

Ah! Didn't realize they were wireless.

But don't you have your MB from last year? I declined a MB this year.

I always get a new one.

If an alcoholic drink was placed in front of me, I would taste it. But it would have to be that easy. When I have to make it myself I chicken out!

Then I guess I'll just have to make some for you. :)

Seriously? They're like giant rats. We had them all over at the old house, they'd run along the top of the fence. People put cat food out for the strays and they'd come by to eat that. Raccoons too. We stopped putting cat food outside when I opened the front door and two 30lbs raccoons were chowing down and they hissed at me!

:laughing: Well, that's what you get for forgetting the tartar sauce!

We had baby possums living in a drawer in the workbench in our garage. They moved when we found them out! :rotfl:

Well, you were rude to intrude, you know.

Had a similar thing in our backyard at the old place. I mowed the lawn and... what's that? Looks like a tuft of fur. I pick it up and there's a half dozen or so baby bunnies.
I put the fur back.
I went back to check on them later and.... gone.

No, just messin' with ya! And trying to be a smart a$$.

;)

You know how I feel about baggies and foil! :cloud9: And old Cool Whip containers. :lmao:

Yes, I think it was 2012. WAY. TOO. LONG. But I feel like we have been friends forever. :hug: Lunch Thursday right?

@pkondz I agree with your Elon Musk comment! But on the MB: regardless if you get a new one or not, all your old MBs still work for all necessary functions, like park entry, room key and DME identification. The only function that can be lost over time (after about two years) is the long range readability. That is used for some on ride photos, to display your name at the end of It’s a Small World and other fun little extras.

@pkondz I agree with your Elon Musk comment! But on the MB: regardless if you get a new one or not, all your old MBs still work for all necessary functions, like park entry, room key and DME identification. The only function that can be lost over time (after about two years) is the long range readability. That is used for some on ride photos, to display your name at the end of It’s a Small World and other fun little extras.

I figured it'd still work... but I want a new one! I paid for one, darn it!

;)

and yes.... I know I could use an old one and still get a new one after I get there.
But... I'm just stubborn that way!

I figured it'd still work... but I want a new one! I paid for one, darn it!

;)

and yes.... I know I could use an old one and still get a new one after I get there.
But... I'm just stubborn that way!

See, as woman I bring all my magic bands so I can accessorize according to what I am wearing that day!!! So, I need the old ones!

I ended up at the Coffee Bean and Tea leaf, where I got an Americano, an everything bagel, lemon loaf and an almond croissant for Fran.

That sounds like a nice enough breakfast.

It turns out that we must have sat on the Tarmac for over an hour or so because partway into the flight they made an announcement that they would be holding the flights in Houston (where we changed planes) for both Belize and Orlando. I was amazed that they held the plane over an hour and by the time we got off the first plane they were boarding our connecting flight.

That was good of them to hold the connections.

I found that at row 24 and tried to get her attention when she boarded the plane, but evidently they had saved her seats in the second row.

How nice that they saved some seats for Fran.

Now if they could have done something about the kicking of my seat that would have been great!

I hear you.

We waited a while for Fran’s scooter and it didn’t come up, so I went up top to see if they were bringing it that way.

Oh, oh.

It turns out the gate agent in LA booked it through to Houston. The flight crew only remembered waiting for one scooter before we left Houston. So now we had to go to the claims office in Baggage Claim on the opposite side of the airport as Magical Express.

What a pain.

When we got to the claims office, it turns out that the folks at the Houston Airport had contacted the folks in Orlando and planned to send the scooter on the next flight.

At least they were proactive.

It turns out that the MB scanner was down, and they were working with paper confirmations that were handwritten with paper and a pen!

That does not sound like a lot of fun.

However it did become tedious to have to ride through the entire resort every time that we went somewhere.

I can imagine.

In the room, I unpacked food and stuff and it wasn’t until 11PM that our suitcases arrived. This was an annoyance because the spaghetti and sauce were in there.

Goodness, that was late.

Maintenance came and fixed the tub before our luggage arrived.

That is what I call speedy service.

I'm not sure if it got water in the tube or what, but he was using the blow dryer to fix it.

That seems to be a novel idea. I never appreciate how many uses a blow dryer has.

Corinna

Oh my about Kahlua, I hope she's ok.

I had a possum in the backyard earlier this week. It played dead and was thankfully gone in the morning. Poor little guy must have been terrified of the boys.

Love that you have a new trip report! Sorry it started rough... we had a similar issue years back with a double stroller and they didn’t offer to deliver it! Such a pain!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!