The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: I was feeling burned out on running and racing after a HM PR in December. I changed as many things as I could: not be on a plan, slow down, don't look at my pace every 2 seconds, decrease mileage, new routes, run at a different time of day, some new gear, ran a fun HM, etc,

I made my 'new' running as different from my 'old' running as I could without completely stopping it. It seems to have rebooted me.

Funny to think that I was tired of racing and now I'm dying to get out and race.

Received an email from Space Coast. They are still continuing as if the race will still take place late November but they did add a virtual option and those in the Big Bang series will still be able to keep their eligibility. Still...I hope to be able to make it down for that one! This Ohio guy needs Vitamin D that time of year!!!

Received an email from Space Coast. They are still continuing as if the race will still take place late November but they did add a virtual option and those in the Big Bang series will still be able to keep their eligibility. Still...I hope to be able to make it down for that one! This Ohio guy needs Vitamin D that time of year!!!

I was planning to do that race this year but decided to do it next year instead. I hope it goes forward for you.

QOTD: What do you do to “reset” when something related to running bums you out?

This weekend I was supposed to run the the Lumberjack Challenge in Ottawa (2k+5k+10k+M), with the entire family running the 5k. Those races went Virtual, no reimbursement but a promise of 50% off for 2021 registrations. All weekend the temperature was gorgeous. I could not help thinking: “I would be at that starting line or I would be walking back to the hotel after the Marathon” etc. Then, tonight, I learned that one family member moved their wedding (poor them) exactly on the next year edition. So I am bummed out. I am no longer finding any inspiration to “race virtually”. I will keep maintaining and training for my next race but no excitement because not much hope either. How do you get motivated again? TIA

It depends on what bummed me out. I had a friend set their wedding on a date I already had an out of town race and was going with others. I just declined the wedding but it wasn't one I was in or my best friend or anything. Had the wedding been first I wouldn't have committed to the out of town weekend but others were going and me cancelling would have caused them problems.

If it was a bad run or race and it was due to something I messed up, like fueling, I did my best to correct it going forward. If it was just a bad run or race I chalked it up to it just not being my day and didn't really need to get over it. Generally I don't really dwell on bad (or good runs), I just get ready for the next one.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I guess my simple answer is that it's all mental for me, and "resetting" happens fairly easily. I love running, so I don't need any extra motivation to do it regularly. I did need to change my mindset mid-race during this yea'rs WDW Marathon, when I heard they'd cut the course just ahead of me. I think I went through every stage of grief in about 5 minutes, lol, and then decided I'd do the full 26.2 anyway by adding distance after the finish. I was planning to do Dopey 2021, but got shut out during registration. It took a few days to move past that one, but in the end, I registered for the full and decided I'll attempt to make it a full 50K by adding miles to attempt something new. Life has thrown me a great many curve balls, so I think I've gotten pretty good at adjusting my mindset pretty quickly.

ATTQOTD: I was very lucky and my goal marathon took place on 3/7/2020, right before everything started shutting down here. If anything the quarantine has forced me to take the time off that was needed to recover. I've done one or two virtual races, but I just don't get into those like a race. Luckily I set monthly and yearly mileage goals, so that has helped me continue with running even if they are all mainly easy miles. Our local running store still plans to hold their Summer Series (two 5ks, one five miler and one 10k) between 6/6 and Labor Day, so I plan to participate in that. I guess I get remotivated (that's not a word, lol) by setting a new goal whether it be a time goal or a distance goal. I completely get the frustration though and hope you can turn it around!

I'm coming up on year 3 in this series and, as long as the DVC resorts are open at that point in time, I'm running this race in Florida whether it's virtual or not.

I've already figured it's about 33 loops around Crescent Lake and then I can collapse at Hurricane Hannah's without that pesky car ride in between!

I read this piece of news with sadness. I tried to google it but came up empty. Is this official (as opposed to a selling tactic by the travel agent)?

Based on what others had mentioned around registration day for Marathon Weekend 2021 it appears to be official. The super fast sell out for all MW races supports this, as does the fact that people who are looking for a bib can not find one with either a TA or a charity. There was discussion on the MW 2021 thread that the field size was reduced because of the current uncertainty with Covid 19.

Based on what others had mentioned around registration day for Marathon Weekend 2021 it appears to be official. The super fast sell out for all MW races supports this, as does the fact that people who are looking for a bib can not find one with either a TA or a charity. There was discussion on the MW 2021 thread that the field size was reduced because of the current uncertainty with Covid 19.

I think a lot of people are watching what happens as the world opens up, runDisney included. If I were a betting man I would wager that if the cases don't skyrocket and as we enter late summer things are looking promising you will see additional spots open. They many not be put directly into the public sphere but you might see packages and TAs get bibs to sell.

I think a lot of people are watching what happens as the world opens up, runDisney included. If I were a betting man I would wager that if the cases don't skyrocket and as we enter late summer things are looking promising you will see additional spots open. They many not be put directly into the public sphere but you might see packages and TAs get bibs to sell.

I guess they will wait to see how other large events with many thousands of participants go before potentially releasing any additional bibs. Disney is pretty cautious in a lot of things, which is why I believe they'll be keeping a close watch on Boston (my guess is it doesn't happen), NY (50/50), and even the 70.3/140.6 triathlons scheduled for the fall before they make a decision. They'll be looking not just at safety and logistical concerns, but also for how the participants and volunteers feel about the new race experience. It might be possible to have events with tens of thousands of runners go off safely, but if the measures taken to do so lessen the enjoyment to a point where people feel it's not worth it to participate or volunteer, I'm not sure Disney will want to do that.

I guess they will wait to see how other large events with many thousands of participants go before potentially releasing any additional bibs. Disney is pretty cautious in a lot of things, which is why I believe they'll be keeping a close watch on Boston (my guess is it doesn't happen), NY (50/50), and even the 70.3/140.6 triathlons scheduled for the fall before they make a decision. They'll be looking not just at safety and logistical concerns, but also for how the participants and volunteers feel about the new race experience. It might be possible to have events with tens of thousands of runners go off safely, but if the measures taken to do so lessen the enjoyment to a point where people feel it's not worth it to participate or volunteer, I'm not sure Disney will want to do that.

There is so much uncertainty now I'm not sure what will happen with races this fall and next year. I think they will watch any big gatherings, not just races. If baseball starts to allow fans, daycares and schools start to open, and people generally congregate more and we don't have big, deadly upticks they might open more spots.

I just read the article that they're targeting 7/11 to open MK and AK, and EPCOT and HS would follow on 7/15. Depending on how those go for a few weeks, I would bet a decision comes a few weeks after that.

QOTD: As we have experienced a 50 degree swing in temperature over the last week in my area, I find I have forgotten to incorporate previous lessons about running in warm humid conditions. Are there things you know that you forget to incorporated into your running when the seasons change?

My answer: While I remember that I need to slow down, I forgot how much more water I want to have when it is warm. I also forgot how much I sweat when it it 98%+ humidity and that in such weather there are shirts I should not wear for chafing purposes. I also remember last summer realizing that my upper inner arm will chafe enough to bleed in the course of 3 miles if I wear a tank top. \I cannot believe I forgot that last one!

QOTD: As we have experienced a 50 degree swing in temperature over the last week in my area, I find I have forgotten to incorporate previous lessons about running in warm humid conditions. Are there things you know that you forget to incorporated into your running when the seasons change?
Warmer weather usually means stopping for water. I typically plan my summer routes to run thru a local park that has water fountains. They are usually turned on by Memorial Day weekend but I assume that will not happen this summer due to fear of the Plague. I will probably need to remember to carry water on my longer runs going forward.

My answer: While I remember that I need to slow down, I forgot how much more water I want to have when it is warm. I also forgot how much I sweat when it it 98%+ humidity and that in such weather there are shirts I should not wear for chafing purposes. I also remember last summer realizing that my upper inner arm will chafe enough to bleed in the course of 3 miles if I wear a tank top. \I cannot believe I forgot that last one!

Note to self: Stock up on Bodyglide.

Multiple people (including a friend of mine, whose legitimacy I can vouch for!) emailed rD about it and were told yes, race capacity was reduced dramatically for Marathon Weekend races.
I am so sad to get this confirmation it's true. I had planned a 10 day trip from the UK next February to participate (if the borders are open) in the 10k, but i dare not get my.hopes up now as it was already going to be tough to get a bib when at full capacity. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be.

ATTQOTD: I have to relearn my lessons every year. Mostly in the winter, as to how may layers I need. In the summer, it's easy: as little as possible.

On an unrelated sad note: my bother, nephew, and I have signed up for the virtual Peachtree. July 4th is going to be weird, as we've toed the starting line for 33 years.

We're calling it Faketree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter