The Running Thread - 2020

ATTQOTD: Lkke a lot of others have said, I picked up running later in life. I only started running a little under 4 years ago at age 34. The way things are going, I think I should be able to continue getting PRs for at least the next few years. So it’ll be a little before I’ll need to re-evaluate how to look at my PRs.

ATTQOTD:
This was a very interesting question for me. I have been really enjoying everyone’s responses. This year I turned 50 and last year dealt with a significant injury. In short I lost a lot of time and tons of progression. Prior to the injury I was running low 4 marathons and had moved to 50k, 50 milers and 12-hour races. Post injury what I have learned is I am sort of starting over from scratch. Coupled with this is a different approach to running (I hope I hold on to this), and that is to simply be happy to be running!

I decided this is the perfect time to clean the slate and establish new PR’s. Hey this gave me three new PR’s at WDW this year in the 10k, half and full! I hope that I let go of measuring myself to the 35 and 45 year old me and focus on dimply being able to run! I think new goals will come out of that.

Another late bloomer, I started running just before I turned 45 but didn’t actually start training regularly and run my first half until 46. I just got a marathon PR running my dopey challenge and feel like I’m still getting better at 48. Im not sure that I’ll ever reset, I’ll probably just keep running until I either can’t or just don’t enjoy it anymore and my PR will be whatever it is whenever I got it.

ATTQOTD: I did a PR reset around 1995. Before that (at least in the races I was running), results weren't available online. For the most part, you never saw the official results. Sometimes results were printed in the local paper and the Atlanta Half would mail you a booklet with all the results. So pre-1995 was prehistoric times. I set some PRs but I don't remember exactly what they were.

I'm in my late 50s. I've been running on and off for 35+ years. My marathon PR was set when i was 56. My 10K PR was set at the same age. Those are true PRs. I just set a historic era half PR.

But I'm realizing my PR days are running out. The marathon PR is probably within reach. The historic era half PR is within reach. The 10K PR might be within reach. 5K is probably out of the question. I'm wrestling with this right now. It's tough realizing you're not the athlete you used to be. Like they say: growing old is crappy, but it beats the alternative.

It seems reasonable to me to do a PR reset every 20 years. I wouldn't claim them as an absolute PR, but I would call a 40+ PR a Masters PR. A PR set after 60 would be a Senior Grand Masters PR but I would just shorten that to Grand (sure as h*ll not Senior!)

I do look at age-graded results. It's more to compare myself to the rest of the field, not to the earlier me.

I've started looking more at age group placement. Again, this is more to see how I did against everyone else and not my younger self.

Even if I never PR again, as long as I keep bringing these home, I'm good.

ATTQOTD: I don't have a strong opinion on this, since I've basically stopped caring about time and PRs and whatnot. But I think that if I was to start caring again, it would make sense to "reset" my PRs and have before I stopped caring vs after I stopped caring.
I think it also makes a lot of sense to reset your PRs when you reach a new age group.
A "qualifying life event" (pregnancy, move, new job, major weight loss/gain) is also a good reason to reset PRs.

tl;dr - I'm all in favor of resetting PRs whenever you feel like it.

Wow, I am horribly late to this party. I actually thought to myself today "wow the running thread has been quiet lately"...um, duh, new year, new thread. I swear I'm not normally this ditsy!

2020 Goals:

Health
1. Lose about 5 pounds
2. More yoga (always)
3. Keep up with strength training

Running
1. Avoid injury (this includes getting better at trail running)
2. Run over 1000 miles
3. Half PR (April or Oct).

Today's QOTD: I too started running later in life. I am now firmly in my mid forties and while I do feel old at times, I also still feel like I've got some fight left. I don't think I've peaked yet.

ATTQOTD : My very first race was in 2017 so my PR are fresh but I changed age group in 2019. I will still try to improve on those PR but really like the idea of setting new objectives based on age group, so probably planning a reset in 2024.

QOTD: Do you use training plans and where did you get yours?

ATTQOTD: I do use them. As far as where I get them depends on what I am training for. I've used C25k to start out, then had a coach for a while who made plans. Then I used a plan from Advanced Marathoning for my second marathon. At other times I created my own plans, but those are mostly just for the off season to maintain fitness. Currently I am starting a program with Garmin that changes based on each run and how my training is going. I started it 2 weeks ago, but then the national championship game happened and well... 36 year old me takes a while longer to recover lol. So I am starting it over again today.

I don't use one yet. I was doing well with my advancements until I got injured and then my running has been inconsistent since injury so I haven't been in a position to need a training plan. I haven't raced in almost 18 months. But, the injuries seem to be gone, running has been more consistent since August (this month is going awful, but otherwise), and once the weather improves I will be adding in some miles on the bike as well. I plan to set some PR's this year! Maybe I will look for a training plan at some point this year.

QOTD: After a year of little to no running and probably the 6 months before that I was doing just enough... ok not near enough. Also during that time I aged some as well. So my question is, when would you disregard your old PR's and consider starting "over"?

ATTQOTD: My thought is every 5 years, my best running has happened between 30-35, and while it is possible to improve upon those times I am not sure how much or if I will be able to. So for the sake of motivation, I am considering a new set of PR's to come based on 36-40.
I still believe I can set PR's now. I am also starting over, basically, but the more consistent I am with my running I can see my times improving. I know with more time, and more cross training, I will be able to set PR's.

But, this does bring me to a question I have been meaning to ask of you "older" runners on here. I began running at 40. I had aches and pains as I increased mileage back then. But I am finding that now I am just in more pain overall. I am 46 now, which is still not really old of course, but I just feel it. If I take a few days off from running my next run I am so sore and my back is killing me, etc... I feel better the more I run but still have way more aches and pains than I did just 6 years ago. Is this just a common thing for people our age?

But, this does bring me to a question I have been meaning to ask of you "older" runners on here. I began running at 40. I had aches and pains as I increased mileage back then. But I am finding that now I am just in more pain overall. I am 46 now, which is still not really old of course, but I just feel it. If I take a few days off from running my next run I am so sore and my back is killing me, etc... I feel better the more I run but still have way more aches and pains than I did just 6 years ago. Is this just a common thing for people our age?

I'm 49 right now and started distance running after a long history of playing team sports at a younger age while significantly overweight. I carried a lot of residual joint and muscular issues from those days into my running. They'll always be with me along with the risk of re-injury and additional injury, so I have to be careful managing my running volume and pace. The half-joke that I make is that "if I didn't run when I hurt, I would never run". The key that I've found is to be in tune with your body so that you can tell the difference between the normal aches and pains from running and the signs of an injury/pre-injury.

I find this to be an interesting question. I started running about 5 years ago, but mainly did it off and on for fitness. I was not racing at that point. I started to seriously train and race only about a year ago. At 32, I feel like I have many more races and PRs ahead of me. But I also know life and circumstances will change and I will reevaluate at some point. Not sure when that will be, but it has been interesting reading everyone's answers.

Possibly. Oddly, most of my aches/pains are in the joints I did not injure in high school sports, though.

I'm 49 right now and started distance running after a long history of playing team sports at a younger age while significantly overweight. I carried a lot of residual joint and muscular issues from those days into my running. They'll always be with me along with the risk of re-injury and additional injury, so I have to be careful managing my running volume and pace. The half-joke that I make is that "if I didn't run when I hurt, I would never run". The key that I've found is to be in tune with your body so that you can tell the difference between the normal aches and pains from running and the signs of an injury/pre-injury.

That's been my problem. I have been so timid about running since my injury for fear of getting reinjured. Most recently I was complaining of my knees. They still burn, but I am now starting to winder if it is just the old age as opposed to an injury. This is what I struggle with now. I feel someone on a run and I examine, "injury or old age pain?" I am the same way as you, I have just accepted I will always have pains.

I played soccer for 20 years and was never heavy until I got to college. I never had injuries until my 40's. This is all new to me.

Possibly. Oddly, most of my aches/pains are in the joints I did not injure in high school sports, though.

Lately my pain has been in my hips. Like, can't it stay in one spot please so I can figure it out? :headache::mad:

I started running at 37, I'm 41 now. I feel my recovery times are getting quicker and quicker the more I run. I can run the day after a marathon (easy of course) and be ok. I've been lucky (knock on wood) to avoid serious injury (there have been a few tweaks) so far.

QOTD: After a year of little to no running and probably the 6 months before that I was doing just enough... ok not near enough. Also during that time I aged some as well. So my question is, when would you disregard your old PR's and consider starting "over"?
ATTQOTD: I don’t think there is anything wrong with re-setting PR’s. As the name indicates, they are “personal.” But don’t sell yourself short for continuing to improve as you get older. I have been running since my late 20’s. I am now 51 and I am continually getting faster and setting new PR’s as I get older – my half and full PR’s were set on my last 2 races at those distances.

ATTQOTD: Mine and @Jules76126's story sounds pretty similar. I started running about 5 years ago (turn 32 in August) and I feel like I still have some PRs ahead of me. I PRd every distance last year except the marathon, but I didn't run a marathon last year so maybe I could have if I had tried. :confused3 I think resetting PRs for me will probably occur when I have at least been running 10 years, although more and more people are getting faster as they get older so I may not need it. I think doing whatever you think is best and will keep you motivated is what matters most.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter