The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Well, I'm already watching EPL and biting my nails over Liverpool's chances. Cyclocross season is winding down, but there are still a race or few left (but no one will beat Mathieu Van der Poel). Baseball season starts soon and I have plans to go to a spring training game or two when I am in FL in a couple of weeks. Already watching golf, and will check out March Madness. And the cycling Classics start soon: Paris -Roubaix is not to be missed. Let's see, am I forgetting anything.

I should say that I have always been known to watch a lot of sports, although have dropped watching several over the years (basketball, hockey). I was just remembering the other day how I used to watch candlepin bowling as a kid. (And if you're not from New England, you will likely not get it)

@LSUlakes Could you add a race for me and change another?

Feb 24 Gasparilla Half Marathon (NG/XX) I decided to mix it up and not be a slave to Disney.

Also, could you change my goal for Boston to 4:15. I have decided that even though I am training fr faster than that, I just don't want to feel like I need to hit a certain time goal to have the race be a success. 4:00 is aggressive.

I should say that I have always been known to watch a lot of sports, although have dropped watching several over the years (basketball, hockey). I was just remembering the other day how I used to watch candlepin bowling as a kid. (And if you're not from New England, you will likely not get it)

The only kind of bowling, as far as I'm concerned :)

ATTQOTD: Football is secondary to most every other sport that happens to be in season so it's really still a continuation of the NBA season for me. We've got League Pass this season and have become junkies. However, this Sunday, NASCAR is back. I have my issues with the sport, don't get me wrong (some of the fan base, sponsors and drivers are way too conservative for my taste), but I still love it. I'm conflicted. Then baseball season will start up and I'll get to follow the A's through another (hopefully!) winning season. Tour de France in July...the sports never even hit a lull in my world. :happytv:

ATTQOTD: After finding an official creeper/potential stalker at my regular paved running route last week (0.9 miles around our community center) I'm gonna end up around 90% treadmill this year, as much as I hate it. I'm a solo runner and I have to do what's safest for me.

That is terrifying! Be safe!!!

baseball! go Cubs :) I've also got a partial season plan with the Orioles (they cost way less than most teams, and I live <2 blocks from Camden Yards, so not too shabby)

that's actually the one big thing I'm kinda bummed that the Baltimore Running Festival changed 2 years ago -- you used to finish by running through Camden Yards and end between the baseball and football stadia. Yeah, I know, the Inner Harbor is prettier but they haven't adequately managed crowd control, and finishing through Camden felt special.

It saddens me that others don't know the joy of candlepin.

QOTD: With football season being over (college with signing day ended this week and NFL) what sporting events are you looking forward to now? College and pro sports?
ATTQOTD: @LSUlakes , you have hit a bit of a sore spot for me. Well, you asked so I guess you get to watch me cry in my coffee...

Normally for me, this is my favorite time of year. It is all about college basketball and in CT, it is all about UConn basketball. But not this year or the last few years, actually. In fact, it has been an interesting story for the entire athletic department rising from nothing to a national power only to have now skidded into some dark times. The rise: in the last 30 years, UConn hired 2 hall of fame basketball coaches and achieved 5 final fours and 4 national championships in men’s basketball and 11 national championships in women’s basketball; had a football team go from Division 1-AA (FCS) to a major Division 1-A (FBS) conference and making it to the Fiesta Bowl; a hockey team joining one of the top hockey conferences in the country (Hockey East) and coming close to landing a spot in the 16 team frozen four tournament; a baseball team being nationally ranked and producing the 2017 world series MVP (George Springer) which is unheard of for a team from the north especially since ¾ of the season needs to be played on the road in warmer weather.

Fast forward to 2019 where the wheels have completely come off the athletic department.

For basketball and football it started to go south during the Big East breakup and conference realignment where UConn was left out of a Power 5 conference and was exiled to the American Athletic Conference. Since winning the 2014 men’s basketball national championship, the hall fame coach’s hand pick successor drove the team into ground and into the first losing seasons in 30 years. UConn basketball is completely irrelevant now and this year has been more of the same even though there is hope the new coach will turn the team around. I wish I could say the same about football where there is little to no hope and which is literally on life support right now coming of the worst season IN THE HISTORY OF DIVISION 1 FOOTBALL. That is not a hyperbole, they were statistically the worst team ever in college football and is close to having the program shut down. Meanwhile the hockey team is now dead last in Hockey East and will not even make the conference tournament, women’s basketball is still in the top 10 but already has more regular season losses this year than any in the past decade and the hall of fame coach is hinting at retirement which will probably mean the end of UConn’s reign when the coach is gone (just ask Tennessee).

Meanwhile, baseball is starting the season nationally ranked anywhere from 25 to 40 in various polls. So there is a glimmer of hope there. The season starts next week but we won’t see a home game until April…

So, yeah…luckily, I have my running because I am not looking forward to much when it comes to sports in the near future…

I was just remembering the other day how I used to watch candlepin bowling as a kid. (And if you're not from New England, you will likely not get it)
Haha... you just gave me a flashback to weekend afternoons where I'd be watching candlepin bowling because nothing else was on TV on a weekend afternoon. :D

ATTQOTD: Alabama Spring Football of course! A-day is April 13th!

Also, I will follow the English version of football as well, but my team is not an EPL team, no, we are looking to rise out of League 1 (the English 3rd division) into the Championship. I root for Portsmouth, so #PlayUpPompey! (BTW, did you know that Portsmouth FC is owned by a group led by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner?)

QOTD: With football season being over (college with signing day ended this week and NFL) what sporting events are you looking forward to now? College and pro sports?
There's always a void in my life that is only filled when football season starts up again. I'm very busy with work these days so I only follow teams I really care about right now and that's basically BYU basketball until their season ends. I'll follow SF Giants baseball when they start up.

that's actually the one big thing I'm kinda bummed that the Baltimore Running Festival changed 2 years ago -- you used to finish by running through Camden Yards and end between the baseball and football stadia. Yeah, I know, the Inner Harbor is prettier but they haven't adequately managed crowd control, and finishing through Camden felt special.
The Giant Race finishes on the field at the Giants park and it's really, really cool. I understand why you would miss that.

I am so ready for some baseball!!!
After the Super Bowl ended, my buddy texted me and asked "when does baseball season start?" I do know that SF Giants pitchers and catchers report on February 13th.

ATTQOTD: I don't have cable anymore so to be honest I don't really follow anything. When I did pay attention, it was hockey. Go Stars!

ATTQOTD: First March Madness (Go Spartans!) and then baseball. Actually it's almost always baseball in our house - my son has been taking lessons since November (arm care, pitching, & hitting) and has started practicing indoors with his travel team.

Ack! Back from hiatus and this thread is at 61 pages already! :worship:

This is how I feel too! Life happened in December with holidays and such, and I’m just now getting caught up! I had the biggest case of FOMO over marathon weekend reading all of the updates :o I think the marathon is in my sooner rather than later future. I sure wished I could have been there to meet many of you!

ATTQOTD: I cast a second vote for the French Open and then Wimbledon! I play and love to watch tennis. We will watch basketball and baseball playoffs but aren’t really invested in any particular teams.

ATTQOTD: I run almost exclusively on asphalt in my neighborhood loop. My small town doesn’t have many good options for running - especially running alone. The only exception is the dreadmill when the weather is bad.

ATTQOTD: Nothing else to add to the winter gear except thanks for the buff recommendation! And I’m glad I don’t have to try to figure out how to dress for weather below freezing! Y’all that run when it’s in single digits or below are amazing!

ATTQOTD: I can think of a few things: both my daughters are about to go into dance competition season, I really enjoy watching them and this year my older daughter will be performing her first solo in competition! My younger daughter will start track season fairly soon. I am also looking forward to the summer 100’s - Western States, Leadville and Hardrock. They are not on tv, but you can get great coverage from YouTube and different podcasts. I also enjoy March Madness (go Spartans!).

Last, and likely least, I am a little curious about the American Alliance of Football. I am gonna check it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter