The Running Thread - 2019

I am a Chicago Marathoner! I didn’t hit the time I wanted, but I did still score a nearly fifteen minute PR. I am happier about that today than I was yesterday, though still disappointed.

My watch died shortly after the twenty mile mark. I know some of you do a great job running by effort, but at that point I really needed the pacing info to push me along. Plus with the wind, my effort seemed harder than it was. As for Mount Roosevelt at the end, it didn’t seem as awful as people make it out to be, but I do live in the foothills of the mountains.

Speaking of watches and hills, my watch recorded an elevation gain of over 9,000 feet before it died! It was definitely doing its own thing yesterday.

The world of injury can be a dark place. You get these doubts about everything: What if I never feel better, what if this is my new norm, what if my peak days are behind me,....Then when you are healed from whatever injury, the last thing that heals is your mind. EVERY little twinge sends me in a momentary panic. My hips will hurt and I get convinced I have a stress fracture.

I surprised myself with Berlin. I had been focused on building up mileage again and didn't do a ton of workouts for speed. I have NYC in a few weeks and I am just winging it right now. I notice a few twinges every now and then and I back off. I've got a lot on the schedule for Jan-Apr and still not sure if I can do it all.

Just keep doing what you are doing. At the end of June I resumed running, with run/walking, so impressed when I hit 11-12 minute miles. I was happier doing that than the cross training I had been doing.
Thanks for sharing your journey! I’ve def been dealing with the negative thoughts as of late... but I try to remind my self this to shall pass... or at least I really hope lol

Texas 10 Cypress race report - As I have said for this race in the previous years, one of the main things I like about the race site is that it is about 10 minutes from the house, so that makes for a little more leisurely morning before heading to the race site. Parked at the race site about 45 minutes before the start, and did a warmup lap around the outlet mall that serves as the start/finish line for the race. We had our running club team picture around 15 minutes before the stat of the race, and made our way to the start line.

This summer has really kicked my bottom for training and going into the race I did not think I was really prepared as in the past. My goal for the race was to break 1:20, and be really happy if I broke 1:18. Luckily, a nice fall front came through Houston on Friday, and this morning was really nice with a T+D of around 110.

As usual for the Texas 10 race series, the race is 2 lap race for the 10 miles. Started the race with a friend and we talked about trying to stay around 8 minute/mile pace. Started the 1st mile at a 7:46 pace, and tried to dial back the pace a little bit. Mile 2 was a 7:54, so success, 3 was a 7:46. 4 and 5 were at 7:38. So we started the 2nd lap and tried to keep pace with the groups in front of us. I told my friend that I would pick up the pace around mile 8 to see if I can play pac-man. He started to fade around mile 7 at a water stop, so I kept on trucking. Mile 6- 7:37, Mile 7 - 7:47. Unfortunately, everyone seemed to enjoy the weather, and I was only able to pick off 1 running the last 3 miles. Mile 8 - 7:31, Mile 9 - 7:16, Mile 10 - 6:47.

Finish time of 1:15:45 (with a 1:30 negative split), so I kinda surprised myself, and still felt really good the last couple of miles. So I guess I was in better shape than I thought! 42/315 overall, 30/124 male, 4/15 age group.

Congrats on a great race!

Well a lot of congratulations are in order today!!

Way to go-

@Kerry1957 for your run in very tough conditions.
@gjramsey for the Texas 10 Cypress. Looks like you really picked up the pace at the end.
@ChattaDIS for a 13 minute PR at Chicago Marathon
@MickeyMomma for a 15 minute PR at Chicago Marathon.
@MissLiss279 for your Prarie Fire Marathon finish.
and @Guidman for your Steamtown Marathon finish under 3:30. I've run Steamtown before and it really is a LOT of downhill.

Last edited:

I am a Chicago Marathoner! I didn’t hit the time I wanted, but I did still score a nearly fifteen minute PR. I am happier about that today than I was yesterday, though still disappointed.

My watch died shortly after the twenty mile mark. I know some of you do a great job running by effort, but at that point I really needed the pacing info to push me along. Plus with the wind, my effort seemed harder than it was. As for Mount Roosevelt at the end, it didn’t seem as awful as people make it out to be, but I do live in the foothills of the mountains.

Speaking of watches and hills, my watch recorded an elevation gain of over 9,000 feet before it died! It was definitely doing its own thing yesterday.

I actually was pleased with my Apple Watch. I had plenty of life in mine and the mileage wasn’t really off any more than normal. Also the map was pretty accurate. What is funny is that my daughter used it for the 5 k and it mapped her out running in the river at one point.

I have some what of the same feeling as you. I was kind of disappointed as I really wanted to get a faster time but got knee pain and slowed it down some at the end however today I am more satisfied with the 13 min PR. It seems a lot of people had some challenges with the cold/wind at times.

Race Recap - Hartford Half Marathon 10/12/19

I ran the Hartford Half Marathon today mainly because it is the one day I can run on the roads in Hartford and West Hartford without worrying about getting hit by a car. 😂 The course also goes right past my street which is pretty cool. It was suppose to just be a 13 mile training run for Dopey but I felt really good coming off the starting line and ended up killing it with a brand new half marathon PR of 1:37:37 (7:27 pace). Old PR was 1:41:30 which is what I submitted for my Dopey POT. This race is past the deadline. It was probably the most steady pace I’ve ever run and I didn’t feel like I was pushing hard until the end. All my splits at 5K, 10K and 15K were the same at 7:32. I poured it on at the end to finish at 7:27 overall.

Interesting note - they added a nice (surprise) touch to all the medals having the date engraved on the back. Unfortunately, when they opened the shipment earlier this week, they realized they were all engraved with the wrong date (10/13/19). They handed out little adhesive plaques with the correct date that you could paste over the engraved incorrect date. It’s too bad. The engraving came out nice. I thought about leaving it with tomorrow’s date because years from now, you will never remember the exact date. But I went ahead put the plaque over it. It is basically a little sticker. It still looks pretty good.

ETA: I almost forgot the best part of the race...the Hartford Marathon gives everyone (+21) a free beer at the Sam Adams 27th Mile Beer Garden. Nothing like a Sam’s Octoberfest on a cool Fall day in CT after a race — especially a free one!! :)

Fantastic job! You killed it! I didn't know you were there, I was there too. I had a good day also, ended up coming within a minute of my PR time. I loved this race and I'll be back!

Race report for what I'm calling the New England Goofy.

Hartford half on Saturday, Newport RI full on Sunday.

Weather in Hartford was perfect. I decided to see what I could do. I loved the course. Very scenic (esp through the park with the roses). Some hills but they always came with nice downs too. I had to stop in a portolet at mile 5, I almost never do this. I ended up finishing at 1:49:54, within a minute of my half PR. Given the porto stop and the fact that my half PR is teardrop which has about 8 miles of downhill, and this was not a downhill race, I'm very happy with it. I loved the course and the post race food and Sam Adams beer after. I had 2 October fests and a Dogfish Gose that was also good.

On to Newport! My legs were feeling the effort from the day before and this was a very hilly course (particularly on the back half). Very scenic though, you run past all the mansions and along the coast a lot. The full goes RIGHT by (and I mean, you pass the shute) the half finish line. That was torture. I finished in 4:18:35, respectable especially given the day before. I will run Hartford again some day. Newport was fun but I think that one is one and done.

Weather in Hartford was perfect. I decided to see what I could do. I loved the course. Very scenic (esp through the park with the roses). Some hills but they always came with nice downs too. I had to stop in a portolet at mile 5, I almost never do this. I ended up finishing at 1:49:54, within a minute of my half PR. Given the porto stop and the fact that my half PR is teardrop which has about 8 miles of downhill, and this was not a downhill race, I'm very happy with it. I loved the course and the post race food and Sam Adams beer after. I had 2 October fests and a Dogfish Gose that was also good.

On to Newport! My legs were feeling the effort from the day before and this was a very hilly course (particularly on the back half). Very scenic though, you run past all the mansions and along the coast a lot. The full goes RIGHT by (and I mean, you pass the shute) the half finish line. That was torture. I finished in 4:18:35, respectable especially given the day before. I will run Hartford again some day. Newport was fun but I think that one is one and done.

That's great results! Congrats. Too bad you don't get a Goofy challenge medal for it.

Congrats on the PR!!!
Our Mountain definitely probably looks like an anthill to anyone who comes from anywhere with real elevation.

Awwwww...You were literally in my backyard on Saturday. I live in West Hartford pretty much right at the halfway point of the half course. I work in downtown Hartford so all my training runs are either along the half marathon course when I run from home or the full marathon course when I run at lunch during the week. The full course is also really nice because it runs along the river but I love the half marathon course because it basically does 1 giant loop and as you said, goes through Elizabeth Park - which is even more beautiful in the Spring when the roses are blooming. But obviously this time a year is great with trees changing colors and the summer temps turning to cool Fall temps making for perfect running conditions.

I can't believe you followed it up with a marathon the next day!! Congrats on a couple of great races!!!

Awwwww...You were literally in my backyard on Saturday. I live in West Hartford pretty much right at the halfway point of the half course. I work in downtown Hartford so all my training runs are either along the half marathon course when I run from home or the full marathon course when I run at lunch during the week. The full course is also really nice because it runs along the river but I love the half marathon course because it basically does 1 giant loop and as you said, goes through Elizabeth Park - which is even more beautiful in the Spring when the roses are blooming. But obviously this time a year is great with trees changing colors and the summer temps turning to cool Fall temps making for perfect running conditions.

I can't believe you followed it up with a marathon the next day!! Congrats on a couple of great races!!!

Thanks! congrats on your great day as well! I really loved the half course.

I just posted my recap from the Long Beach Marathon if y'all wanna read it: https://www.disboards.com/threads/every-mile-is-a-miracle.3648335/page-64#post-61175877

TL;DR - Marathons are hard, but I finished - 5:29:49. Not goal time, but a PR!

WLYQzM2ZY8sAdN4pWMsSPf2ockY7NsJ-9KXA2fH_WK_rZI4gc6R874Uk2lqVbg490M6vDRzjXF5r6Gad--vpKPvnAkmFUlJ5Ed1UY_GaX2tkVgf0kEiIPM0MsiimQGtfbHp48jEra6U=w500

This...

Exactly. As someone who battles exercise-induced asthma and must use an inhaler in order to run, and HAS to take medications for hypothyroidism to avoid actual, you know, death, it's long burned me up that Salazar was clearly pushing the limits, if not completely in the wrong.

IDK - I have the same question and it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Last I saw, Nike's still got his back, which is kind of amazing, and not in a good way.
Nike is one of the most unethical companies out there!

The world of injury can be a dark place. You get these doubts about everything: What if I never feel better, what if this is my new norm, what if my peak days are behind me,....Then when you are healed from whatever injury, the last thing that heals is your mind. EVERY little twinge sends me in a momentary panic. My hips will hurt and I get convinced I have a stress fracture.

I surprised myself with Berlin. I had been focused on building up mileage again and didn't do a ton of workouts for speed. I have NYC in a few weeks and I am just winging it right now. I notice a few twinges every now and then and I back off. I've got a lot on the schedule for Jan-Apr and still not sure if I can do it all.

Just keep doing what you are doing. At the end of June I resumed running, with run/walking, so impressed when I hit 11-12 minute miles. I was happier doing that than the cross training I had been doing.

TRUTH! I have been fortunate this month. I have been feeling great. Last month I had to take a few runs off because things were hurting and I am determined to take it slow this time and not get injured again. This month I have been consistent every other day so far. I felt a twinge last night right at the beginning of my planned 5 miles. I said, Uh oh, is this the day I take a step back? Thankfully once I loosened up I had no more issues. Was feeling so good I ended up with 6.23 miles. I have already surpassed last month’s mileage total so far this month. It feels good to be back at it finally. I have been putting in much more maintenance now than ever before between stretching, rolling, and cross training as well. It will take more work to keep running now but I’m all in. It’s becoming fun again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter