The Running Thread - 2019

Reporting in from Chicago! Our US holiday has started, 15hr direct flight went well, currently awake at 2:20am with a belly still full of deep dish pizza. Heading out for a run in a few hours. We’re in the Windy City for another 3 nights before heading to WDW for a week before heading off to LA via Las Vegas and Death Valley.

Now to try and get back to sleep...

Welcome. Have fun the next few days. Hope you brought your rain gear!

Reporting in from Chicago! Our US holiday has started, 15hr direct flight went well, currently awake at 2:20am with a belly still full of deep dish pizza. Heading out for a run in a few hours. We’re in the Windy City for another 3 nights before heading to WDW for a week before heading off to LA via Las Vegas and Death Valley.

I just got back from Disneyland and Death Valley. I have not driven through a more depressed and depressing area than the towns outside of Death Valley.

But Badwater Basin was neat.

Badwater 135 awaits you...
(Sprays with water bottle) NO!

If fact, I think I am only going to run the red bull 400 next year, and then volunteer at longer races while I continue to build on the first consistent year of running, whereas in the past I would run during the summer and pork out in the winter. I’ll revisit the longer distances in 2021, when our daughter is in preschool.

Welcome to Chicago!! I just posted on your Strava run as well. What are your other plans while you are here for the next three nights?

Quick heads up: My Nimbus 17s have over 500 miles and I finally have to let them go, heard good things about the Nike Pegasus so jumped on nike.com and saw they're having a flash sale extra 25% on select items. Was able to score Pegasus 36 Rise for $64! They have Turbos, Vomeros, Zooms etc on sale too, but it ends tomorrow 9/26.

(also free shipping and returns if you sign up for their free Nike Plus membership)

Thank you! Just got my next pair of shoes.

Are you going to Disneyland? Sounds like we might be there at the same time!

Welcome. Have fun the next few days. Hope you brought your rain gear!
Totally unprepared for rain! We’ll look to Uber from indoor attraction to indoor attraction! Today is stunning so making the most of it!
I just got back from Disneyland and Death Valley. I have not driven through a more depressed and depressing area than the towns outside of Death Valley.

But Badwater Basin was neat.
I’ve heard amazing things about DV park, looking forward to that. The surrounding towns sound...interesting
Welcome to Chicago!! I just posted on your Strava run as well. What are your other plans while you are here for the next three nights?
We’ll be checking out a few of the usual city sights, we have a planning on the aquarium, planetarium and Field Museum tomorrow, have been up Sears Tower this morning, wife and kids now want to do some shopping... The city really is beautiful!
Are you going to Disneyland? Sounds like we might be there at the same time!
We are going to Oogie Boogie Bash Tuesday 8th, then in the parks 9th and 10th, then head to Santa Monica for our last 2 nights. Will you be in the parks any of those days?

We are going to Oogie Boogie Bash Tuesday 8th, then in the parks 9th and 10th, then head to Santa Monica for our last 2 nights. Will you be in the parks any of those days?
I was supposed to go to the OBB on Tuesday but it sold out so we are going Sunday. We will be there the 6th - 9th though so maybe we can meet up! :)

I want to state that I am impressed with all of you still slogging through your runs in heat. I am on business in northern TX and I cut my run short as I just could not deal with it. Way to go all of you southerners!

Where are you in North TX? I'm in the DFW area in Plano! And yes, running is pretty miserable here for half the year. Lol I've been running at 5:30 AM on Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays just to get it over with!

Totally unprepared for rain! We’ll look to Uber from indoor attraction to indoor attraction! Today is stunning so making the most of it!

I’ve heard amazing things about DV park, looking forward to that. The surrounding towns sound...interesting

We’ll be checking out a few of the usual city sights, we have a planning on the aquarium, planetarium and Field Museum tomorrow, have been up Sears Tower this morning, wife and kids now want to do some shopping... The city really is beautiful!

I mean, I walked out of my motel room in Beatty, NV to this the morning we left. 34DFBC82-BA98-4E62-9613-98E3AC581A5F.jpegExplained all of the “horse” crap everywhere we went.

Where are you in North TX? I'm in the DFW area in Plano! And yes, running is pretty miserable here for half the year. Lol I've been running at 5:30 AM on Tues, Thurs, and Saturdays just to get it over with!
I was in Plano for work. I ran around some soccer fields near the hotel a bit before sunrise but I was really unprepared and needed significantly more water than I had with me (um, none). I am looking forward to running at home Saturday, where sweat will evaporate! I have little reason to go back, but I will pass on a summer trip!

This morning on my run, I saw a group of four guys running on my path. I don't usually see other runners -- lots of bikers and walkers, so I was happy to see some people out there running. Well they were bigger dudes, like tall and built, much younger than me and cruising at a slower pace, so I ended up passing them. (Just sayin' it felt great...) I yell to them as I go by "y'all are doing awesome!" and one of them replies "not as good as you!" and I said "haha, you will get there!"

And that made my Friday morning.

Well expo done and dealt with. Trainer and I disagree how much the stick rule deals with safety and how much it deals with the no 'Nordic Walking' rule. Considering how popular the later is here in Europe I can't see it having at least a significant factor. Especially since again they allow flag poles.

Anyways no sticks for me. 😥 But I found a middle ground. Got them to give me a medical bump out of the block I was in and into the D block. Moving up my start time considerably. Hoping this eliminates most of the chance of an episode triggering pre-race and if it does trigger mid-race then this will give me more time to finish without going on the sidewalk.

I did have to reemphasize a couple of times that if they gave me the earlier block I would stop bothering them about the sticks. Which was a bit annoying. Don't think it was a language barrier since the lady's English was fine. But anyways got the bump.

At least I have a test run on how to handle Tokyo whenever that finally happens. Since I don't think Tokyo is going to be easy either.

This does give me a whole new appreciation for the ADA though I think.

BTW, for those of you waiting on Boston, they've announced that the cutoff is BQ-1:39. Hopefully everyone is below that! My calculated estimated cutoff was BQ-1:23, so pretty close!
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted to Boston! Since I will never run Boston, what does this mean? Does it mean that if your BQ is x, then your actual time must be 1 minute and 39 seconds faster than x in order to be accepted?
I’m up to 5 miles for an average run, so I’m sure I could do it, but I want to run pain free for years to come.
Good for you. I've talked to many people who lament no longer being able to run. Sometimes less really is more. Even if it means taking a step back from longer distances or even retiring from them altogether.

Good luck to @Wendy98 and @BikeFan at the Berlin Marathon, @roxymama at the Chicago Fall Half, @Guidman at the Great Race 10k, @KevM at the Ocean City NJ Half this weekend and anyone else not listed on the race calendar but still out there runnng this weekend. I'm running the Lederhosen Half in Delaware on Saturday and will be sending good vibes to everyone.

Wishing you good health, good times, and good weather with your events!

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone who got accepted to Boston! Since I will never run Boston, what does this mean? Does it mean that if your BQ is x, then your actual time must be 1 minute and 39 seconds faster than x in order to be accepted?
Good for you. I've talked to many people who lament no longer being able to run. Sometimes less really is more. Even if it means taking a step back from longer distances or even retiring from them altogether.

Yes, thats what it means. Times are decreasing at a pretty amazing rate. Based on the past three or four years trend, next year's cutoff could be BQ-3:45, and that would make the acceptance time 7.5min faster than it was 5 years ago. My training paces are based on a BQ-5min goal time, because next year is also a milestone year (125th), so the demand may be even higher.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter