The Running Thread - 2019

Thanks all for the feedback on the Garmins. I ended up going with the Fenix 5. Probably more than I actually need, but I hope to actually take advantage of it fully. I like bells and whistles apparently. 🙄. And thanks @MissLiss279 for the heads up on Garmin’s own sale. It was $50 cheaper on their site then Amazon’s sale.

Thanks all for the feedback on the Garmins. I ended up going with the Fenix 5. Probably more than I actually need, but I hope to actually take advantage of it fully. I like bells and whistles apparently. 🙄. And thanks @MissLiss279 for the heads up on Garmin’s own sale. It was $50 cheaper on their site then Amazon’s sale.

Ooo, I am looking at the Fenix 5s, even though I just got my VA3 last year. Which version of the Fenix 5 did you get? The plain Fenix 5s (no bundles, no plus) is $399 on amazon. I'm seeing it as $599 still on Garmin.

I really don't need a new watch...I really don't need a new watch...

Ooo, I am looking at the Fenix 5s, even though I just got my VA3 last year. Which version of the Fenix 5 did you get? The plain Fenix 5s (no bundles, no plus) is $399 on amazon. I'm seeing it as $599 still on Garmin.

I’m seeing the white and black band (non-sapphire edition) listed as $349.99 for the Fenix 5s.
D414E030-4AB0-4B48-ABD3-ED7D5EF9BAAB.jpeg

I got the regular Fenix 5 (no bundle, no plus) But when I go to Garmin’s website I do see the 5s under their Besy Day Ever sale for $349. A21101BA-751C-4EB2-B2C9-88B54E90A246.jpeg

I have the Fenix 5s, and I keep telling myself that I don’t need the 5s plus version... Thankfully it’s not on sale.

I got the regular Fenix 5 (no bundle, no plus) But when I go to Garmin’s website I do see the 5s under their Besy Day Ever sale for $349. View attachment 417698

Thanks to you and @MissLiss279 . I forgot that the amazon version is sapphire. I am wondering how much that matters? But on the Garmin site, I was looking at the sapphire version, also. I may have to compare the non-sapphire versions. And the colors. Colors are important, especially for a watch I don't need. :) But window shopping is fun.

That sounds an awful lot like what I was told when I proposed the idea...

And @Professor_Cookie

Who would say no to letting y’all do a 100-Miler? Guess I’m a Devil’s Advocate here...I’d be like peace out, have fun, don’t die, can I help you pack?

ATTQOTD:

I’m backed up on the QOTD’s, but a far as the candles, I’ve been wanting to try a few of the different companies Disney inspired candles for ages. I got a few Scentsy Disney ones and have To Infinity & Beyond in my room.

As far as race finisher shirts, I rarely wear any of them to begin with, and they sit in a bin. The only race I DNS was 2016’s Wine & Dine Half Marathon. It happened to fall on my ex boyfriend’s Birthday and he legit threw a fit about it to the point I said “forget it! I won’t go!”. Needless to say that relationship didn’t work out and now no one tells me no to doing any race. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

HOWEVER... in the past I would only buy the gear from the race that I actually completed at the Disney races. This past year, I broke that rule because the Cast Property Control had, literally, nearly everything left over from both 2019’s Princess Half Marathon & WDW Marathon Weekend. At insanely discounted prices. 2019 was a rare year I didn’t do the Princess Half (But did the 10k). I bought almost everything I could find in my size. Lol. I couldn’t resist!! However, I couldn’t bring myself to buy anything Dopey Challenge related. I know....you can all throw virtual tomatoes at me now! 😂🤣

ATTQOTD: The only time I've had something similar happen was with the cancelled half during Dopey 2017. I kept the half, Goofy and Dopey shirts and still wear them as cooler weather training shirts.
ATTQOTD: I have never had this happen...I don't think I would wear the shirt if it was something that was "my fault", i.e., my injury or event that prevented me from doing the race. If it was the "race's fault", like a natural disaster cancellation, then I might wear it.
Yeah, the cancelled half was during my first Dopey. I DID wear the shirts because I ran the unofficial, impromptu Pop/AoA half. It was not my fault that it was unofficial. I was there, and the lightening was unavoidable. But the disappointment and feeling of “unfinished business” made me sign up for an official Dopey the next year for redemption.
The only “my fault” DNS was almost three years ago when my daddy died and the funeral was on Saturday. DS and I just did not show up and never collected the shirt.

ATTQOTD candles: DD is into candles and makes them too so we have more than we can burn without adding Disney themed ones.

ATTQOTD DNS shirts: I never DNS so far but bought some Lumberjack Challenge 59.2k shirts that I did not run (maybe in 2020) for DD and I with a clear intention: They will be part of our costumes for Marathon Weekend.

Attqotd: I hope to never find out, though life throws curveballs sometimes. If I like the shirt i’d wear it, if not it would sit in a pile with the rest of them, until I run out of room and start the yearly donation pile. The way I look at it is you buy the shirt with the registration, you earn the medal.

ATYQOTD: I had a 10 miler that I was supposed to run for POT for the 2016 WDW Marathon. Well the day of there were heavy thunderstorms and lightning in that area so I chose not to drive an hour only to have them cancel the race. They did not cancel but they did have to shut the race down in the middle and get people off the course. I was very happy with my decision to DNS. I was surprised a week later when the race director mailed me the medal and the race shirt. The race had had a virtual option and she changed me to that. I went out and ran 10 miles and kept them both! It is my favorite shirt I have ever received, a dusty red, soft cotton type of t-shirt that I am always looking for in regular t-shirts. I actually wore it to work yesterday. :)

That sounds an awful lot like what I was told when I proposed the idea...

If it's Blackbeard 100 you're still looking at, I'm 99% sure I'll be crewing so I can help you out :)

I understand the hesitation...I wasn't thrilled about the idea prior to his first because I was concerned about the amount of training hours and I was nervous all normal life/house/family resposnsibilites would fall on me. I think communicating the training plan and working together on scheduling the stacked long runs is key, and it ended up not being so bad. I'm looking forward to this one!

If it's Blackbeard 100 you're still looking at, I'm 99% sure I'll be crewing so I can help you out :)

I understand the hesitation...I wasn't thrilled about the idea prior to his first because I was concerned about the amount of training hours and I was nervous all normal life/house/family resposnsibilites would fall on me. I think communicating the training plan and working together on scheduling the stacked long runs is key, and it ended up not being so bad. I'm looking forward to this one!

Yep, it's still the Blackbeard 100 I'm looking at. The training really isn't an issue. It's the prospect and "stupidity" of an activity that will, in all likelihood, take more than 24 hours to complete. Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to hold you up, though, as your husband will be running far, far ahead of me! Worst comes to worst, I can probably get my DD21 to crew since she's a runner, as well.

Gladly, and congrats!! Specifically I was referring to the fact that your average HR can be with in range for the entire run, but if the last 2-3 miles were in Zone 3 was it really easy? That typically happens more in the heat due to accumulated heat.

As for easy miles, I say that almost every runner struggles with it at some point. I read somewhere that we generally like to self select zone 3, so to start just go slower than what feels slow lol. I also, remind my self of the purpose of the run before I head out. There are 0 gains being made running slightly harder than easy, and the harder you go the more damage you do to your quality days. On the other side, there really is no negative to running slower on those runs. Lastly slow running keeps you healthy, slower equals shorter more stable levers... once you have the feel and the motivation to run slow, it gets much easier! Hope that helps!
Thanks for all the feedback! I've done okay-ish on most of my long relaxed runs, but I had my second 6mi this past Sunday and the T+D was brutal and the sun was harsh. My last mile was at way too high of a HR. I did a good mix of walking that last bit to try and get it down. Kind of learning as I go and hopefully won't screw anything up in the process getting ready for this 10K. :oops:

What do you do with a race shirt where you have registered but are not able to start due to injury, weather cancelling the race or a family commitment that comes up after you have registered?

Out of all the races I've done, I've only had two that were canceled ... though there are at least a dozen that I wish had been! :rotfl2:

One was the Half Marathon during Dopey whatever year that was. I don't wear that shirt, mostly because it's yellow and I don't like colors. The other was the Irving Half Marathon - never wore that shirt because it was a weird cut. Went directly to Goodwill, so I'm sure it became throwaway clothes for Cowtown or some other race around town.

ATTQOTD: I don't run very many races, so I've yet to have the DNS debate as it pertains to the shirt. I have bought some prior year race shirts at an expo because a tech shirt for $5 is a great price and that will enable me to extend the life of my nicer tech shirts because I can put those in a long run/race only rotation.

I'm in the camp that views the medal as my finishers item and if someone ever asked me about my experience at a race I didn't run, I would just tell them why I have the shirt.

Maybe today wasn’t the day to start interval training, 92 with 40% humidity. The plan was 4 miles, 3/4 m at 10:00/m to warm up then 1/4 @7:30 1/4 @11:30 repeat 5 times then 3/4 @10:00 to get home. I managed 3-1/2 intervals anyways then a slow jog home. Avg pace was 9’42” but HR averaged 174 with a max spike of 190. Seems a bit high to me

Yep, it's still the Blackbeard 100 I'm looking at. The training really isn't an issue. It's the prospect and "stupidity" of an activity that will, in all likelihood, take more than 24 hours to complete. Thanks for the offer, but I don't want to hold you up, though, as your husband will be running far, far ahead of me! Worst comes to worst, I can probably get my DD21 to crew since she's a runner, as well.
Hmm that looks like an interesting run. Looks like a better intro 100 than Umstead and it's probably easier to get into.
Have you done the seashore 50K??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter