The Running Thread - 2019

@jmasgat - I was thinking about it a little more and I agree that after licking your wounds a bit, maybe just go for some short easy runs with a fun podcast or music (if you use headphones). Then sign up for a small super local 5k/10k (May seems to be prime school 5k fundraiser time) and run it for fun with no goals. These are the ones that remind me that races can be fun and gets me excited about possibly racing and training again!

Hey I just posted it as something interesting don’t shoot the messenger.

I found the aspect of races per 10000 people interesting.

I actually think a lot of the places on this list would be great for runners too.

There’s no shooting of the messenger. I jus went through and pointed out what I saw as deep flaws in their analysis. It’s not your analysis.

The aspect of races per 10,000 people strikes me as another of those arbitrary calculations where they were trying way too hard to come up with some way to quantify something to justify their conclusions, though. I bet the # of races per 10,000 residents is pretty darn high for Death Valley, but that doesn’t mean it’s a runner-friendly location! :sunny:

I’m also not disputing that some or all of the locations they identified may well be great cities for running, just that the methodology of their selection seems invalid to me.

Not even going to try and catch up with this thread. Work got intensely busy as I knew it would, but now I'm clear and can resume running again. I only train during that intense time of year work wise if there's a goal race on the immediate horizon after the race.

QOTD: How do you get over a bad race?
I really had to wrestle with this during my half marathon last September. I signed up for the race as a test to see how things were progressing since I was committed to the marathon/Dopey by that point and needed to test out some changes. Since I knew it was a race without the Disney distractions, it was perfect. For a few years now, I told myself that I needed to run a sub 3 hour half marathon before finishing a full marathon. That number was very arbitrary in my head, but that's what I told myself. And on this day I was going to do it.

Until everything went south. Work was way too stressful in the weeks leading up to the race. I was worn out physically the week before the race and in a bad place mentally. More stress the day before the race picking up the bib. I hit the starting line stressed out, tired, and not at all ready to run my best race. Which I then attempted to do so anyways. 3 miles in and I hurt all over. My back screamed so badly that I realized I could either continue another 10 miles absolutely miserable or slow down and be less miserable. I chose the latter.

Eventually, I finished. And I felt like a failure even though I had finished the race and somehow knocked 3 minutes off my PR despite everything going wrong. @DopeyBadger wisely forced me to revisit the race to identify everything leading up to the race. @OldSlowGoofyGuy reached out to me and gave me outstanding advice about how to stop thinking about my "failure" and focus on what I learned instead, reminding me that finishing the race is not actually failure.

So at the very least, I think reaching out to this community is a good thing to do. Sometimes we understand what it feels like to "fail" even when accomplishing something few people ever do. Feel good about qualifying for and then finishing Boston. Yes, the race didn't turn out the way you dreamed. But you finished.

Ohh and personally I think finishing a sucky race can be more challenging than finishing a race where everything just seems to be going great. I'd keep the Boston stuff. Just because you didn't have the race you wanted, doesn't mean you didn't keep relentlessly moving forward.
I came to believe after my disappointing Giant Race that the bad worked out for the best. Maybe I would finished the marathon if the Giant Race went perfectly for me anyways, but the bad race exposed so many weaknesses and shortcomings in my preparation. I had time to address them, make a few more mistakes in training, learn from those mistakes, and keep going. A bad race never defines you.

I think maybe taking a bit of a break after a bad race can do you good. Reset a bit.
Reset and a little bit of time away is never a bad thing. While I needed to examine and learn from my failures, I also had to get out of my own head about them too.

• Take some time to mourn. It's OK to be upset about how things went and be down about it.
  • Once you've had some time to get over the initial "in the moment" disappointment and mourning, take some time analyzing what went wrong. Why didn't you have the race you wanted? Were the circumstances in your control (too little training, wrong training focus, non-ideal training cycle) or out of your control (weather, uncontrollable/unforeseeable factors). Let this guide you to the reason why you had a disappointing race. Did you do the best you could on race day given adverse conditions or were you not ready to perform because your training or other preparation didn't support your expectations?
  • Hopefully, the answers to 2. will give you both a path to acceptance of your result and a pathway to avoidance/improvement in the future. If circumstances were beyond your control, then accept them and come to terms with the fact that you did the best that you could, given those circumstances and be proud of what you did. If there were flaws in your training or preparation, then you have a decision to make. You hopefully will have found the root cause for the disappointment. Then you have to decide whether it's worth the effort and energy to fix those flaws for the next race.
  • Given the results of your analysis, put another race on your calendar. Set your sights on either fixing the flaws you've found or hoping for better conditions on race day that are more conducive to your goals. It's better to have a new goal and plan to start working positively on than to sit and let the disappointment fester. It can feel a bit helpless and rudder-less not having a goal to fix the issues. Keep moving forward!
While I did not enjoy reliving what didn't go well during my bad race, I really needed to. I was able to identify specific things I had done leading up to the race and make certain that I did not repeat those same mistakes for my first marathon.

I think what's different is that I know how much I love running, and I've experienced bad races and saw that it didn't change how I felt about the sport. So this time, my attitude was, "Whatever: it's just not my day. At least I get to run at all." It's a bit of a mantra for me: I get to run. I don't have to; I get to. I did spend some time later trying to ID what went wrong and if it was anything I could control going forward, but I just didn't dwell on it because I still get to run, even after a lousy race.
The night before my first marathon, I listened to an interview with U.S. Olympian Jared Ward, who also just finished top 10 at Boston this week. In the interview, he mentioned how your mind will give out before your body does and that as soon as your brain decides I'm done, your body will follow. I used that extensively the next day as needed. And just kept going. When I came to mile 22 and 23, I thought back to all those nights when I really did not want to run, but did so anyways and told myself that now was the moment. I did it then precisely so I could do it now.

They also had no idea I was thinking to myself in that moment that I was already destined to fail in Chicago this fall if I can't even cover 13.1 in a local race I run every year. This is obviously irrational, especially since I did just cover the 13.1, but that is exactly where our heads are at when we are dealing with disappointment.
My irrational belief was that I needed to run a sub 3 half in order to finish a marathon. I have yet to actually run that sub 3 half marathon. But it turned out that not being able to run a sub 3 half had no impact on my ability to finish a marathon.

I think I live in a city great for runners. We have a ton of well established parks. We even have 1 park system in the works that will have a 100 mile loop around the city. It’s not completed, but the portion closest to my house allows me to go on an uninterrupted paved, scenic, and no automobile traffic path 20 miles out and another 20 back if I was strong enough to do it. It also has plenty of trails that run from the main path. We have a few really good running stores. We also have a very active and close running community with races throughout the year. But I honestly know of no one that walks to work. So we’d never make this list.

ATTQOTD: A few years back during a 12 hour race I had the chance to talk with a really strong runner who had passed me a few times on a looped course. At one point he slowed down and cruised along with me and we chatted for quite awhile (mostly he talked, I was trying to breathe!). But he was telling me about some of the longer races he had done. I mentioned that I was thinking about trying a 100 miler but was intimidated. He shared that DNF’s suck but are often more valuable that a finish. He talked about remembering the courage it takes to set a goal and try to achieve and how there is real opportunity to grow from the missed goal, “real runners are willing to fail”.

I thought about him for the remainder of my race, I got to say hi as he continued to pass me on that cruel looped course! But I took from him the idea of mental toughness, grit and determination. Yeah it sucks when a training plan is followed to the letter, you feel fit and ready and then the gun goes off and you just have an off day. But take pride in that you had the guts to set an incredibly tough goal (that most of us will never reach) and go after it. You also showed true grit, dealt with a lot of pain and crossed that finish line.

Hopefully with time you will be able to pull lessons from that day and take pride in your effort in the face of a really tough day! Congrats on Boston!

QOTD: How do you get over a bad race?
ATTQOTD: Some of it is perspective. I would not consider a race bad if I finished even if I had issues, didn't hit my time goal, had to deal with bad conditions or had aches and pains along the way. I have dealt with all of that and as long as I finished, I do not consider the race "bad". Now, I would be upset if I could not finish a race. While this is my biggest fear, luckily, it has never happened to me. I guess I will come back to this thread and answer the question when/if that ever happens to me.

Percentage of workforce that walks to work: This is more a measure of population density and skews rankings towards locales with large populations in close proximity to high density jobs (ie, large cities and downtown areas). This is actually a negative for runner-friendliness, as the high traffic and pedestrian density will make it harder to run. It would be preferable to have more open space to run in.
Yep, that skews things a LOT. So, I live in FL suburban spraaaaawl. Everything I could ever want or need is within a mile or two of my house, but the only way to get to those workplaces/eateries/shopping/entertainment/etc. is to navigate 8-10 lane roads with 45-50mph speed limits. We also have one of the worst records in the country for pedestrian fatalities. So yeah - very few people walk to work. But when I run, I have my choices of well-lit sidewalks on busy roads, more sidewalks in quiet residential neighborhoods, safe, clean, beautiful parks and nature preserves with plenty of asphalt, boardwalk and crushed shell trails, 30 miles of beaches, access to public restrooms and water fountains, and a ton of shade thanks to a gazillion oak trees. Despite being in FL and being deemed an "unwalkable community", it's a fantastic place to run!

access to public restrooms and water fountains
In my opinion, this is one of the bigger downfalls to running in my neck of the woods. We have lots of sidewalk, lots of trails, and lots of facilities. But the fountains are off and doors locked shut at park facilities until the frost line recedes. Rumor has it that will be next week, and I would be excited if all the trails were not all being washed away and sidewalks flooded by spring rain.

Park city- population about 7500 and we have the triple trail challenge, the park city trail series, and then other foot races as well as having the Wasatch 100 pass through out mountains. 400+ miles of trail in summer. Groomed snow in winter. And becoming a big hub for endurance athletes, although not yet to the level of Boulder or Flagstaff who are also missing from the list. upload_2019-4-19_8-15-10.png

I was a little surprised that they mentioned that the Texas and Arizona cities were all at the bottom of the list. Dallas has a lot of running trails and parks, a big running community and a lot of running events. I would think Austin and Houston would be similar, but to me this list is like those AFI film rankings. Not everyone will agree with them.

I am jumping in with a Fun (ish?) Friday Question of the Day:

If you were to chose what snack/drink would be handed to you along a race course (Disney or not), what would it be, and where would you be?

My answer:
I loved the idea of all of you talking about a margarita at the marathon finish, but I am nowhere ready to commit to a marathon. Apparently I talked this up enough that DH went to the half marathon when I thought he was in bed and bought the finish line beer and found a hole along the fence to try to hand it to me, and I missed his text to tell me where to find him. This- not my other assorted poor prerace eating choices- is my biggest rD regret and I want a do over. I would also take the lavender lemonaid they have at one of the Flower and garden booths or a margarita (specifically the one with the Tajin rim).

If you were to chose what snack/drink would be handed to you along a race course (Disney or not), what would it be, and where would you be?

My answer:
I loved the idea of all of you talking about a margarita at the marathon finish, but I am nowhere ready to commit to a marathon. Apparently I talked this up enough that DH went to the half marathon when I thought he was in bed and bought the finish line beer and found a hole along the fence to try to hand it to me, and I missed his text to tell me where to find him. This- not my other assorted poor prerace eating choices- is my biggest rD regret and I want a do over. I would also take the lavender lemonaid they have at one of the Flower and garden booths or a margarita (specifically the one with the Tajin rim).
Attqotd:ima piggyback off your answer and hand myself a quesadilla. I tried one on Tuesday for my long run but need to punch up the salt/flavor a bit so I will add tajin and NoSalt.

ATTQOTD: Pickles, nacho chips (chips only, no cheese), and an IPA, 1 minute after crossing the finish line of a marathon.

Explanation: By that point, I am so tired of sweet/doughy carbs, I want crunchy/salty pickles and chips. I'll get my carbs from the IPA. Not picky at that point. Can, bottle, draft, whatever.

I need 1 minute to wipe away tears and get my wits about me.

ON the top 10 cities for running, it is funny because Lincoln, NE is number 10 and they say "About 7% of Lincoln, Nebraska is parkland. That’s low by the standards of this top 10, but it’s still enough to put 85% of city residents within 10 minutes of a park."

I actually was looking up parks yesterday for there and a lot are just tiny neighborhood parks with a playground. I guess they are thinking people run on the sidewalks to get to them, not in the winter though. The park thing isn't really what makes good running as these aren't parks you can run around either.

I don't know on the other cities, but the data is interesting on what they came up with.

Pickles, chips and Coke!

ATTQOTD: I am not big on eating or drinking while running. Frankly, I don't get the drinking alcohol mid race. Not judging. It is just not me and it would really mess with me if I did it. Honestly, I am pretty happy to just have water, Powerade and the occasional sport bean handed to me along the race course.

Now if we are talking about stuff handed out after the finish line, that is a different story. I have done a few races that provided a voucher for a free beer post race and would love for all races to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter