The Running Thread - 2018

I need an opinion. It may be pretty obvious but I figured I would ask anyway.

So, I have an appointment with my ankle surgeon on 1/3/19 for my right ankle. But, I was doing more research and found some doctors that specialize in this surgery that are at Mass General (widely considered one of the best hospitals in the world). Do I go with the doctor who did my first ankle, that may or may not have done a decent job (hard to know considering it has hurt since, but I have been able to run on it) or try one of these new doctors?

One of the guys is the team doctor for the US Ski team and Boston College sports. One guy did his under grad at Yale and med school at Harvard, so he might be smart.

And what if they can't get me in for a while. Do I wait for them or take my guy because he will be quicker?

I am leaning toward the Mass General guys. But my ankles hurt, I am currently done running for a while, and I want to get the ball rolling soon. :sad:

I would give the people who specialize this a call and take the first available appointment. The idea that an ankle that you have already have surgery on still being an issue would make me leery to go back to the surgeon.

ATTQOTD: Currently, I just want to travel away from my office...over the course of the next 4 weeks, I only have 6 days of the early wake-up call and commute and having to sit here with annoying people before leaving for marathon weekend, not that I'm counting.

Seriously though, I don't think I could narrow it down. I've never been to California, so I'd love to bike through Napa/Sonoma or hike to the Hollywood sign. I want to go back to France and explore more outside of Paris. I would also like to go back to China and do the Great Wall as I was only in and around Shanghai. There's just so much to do and see out there!

I want to go somewhere that I can see the Northern Lights, and also someplace that I can see the sky without light pollution. As luck would have it, Delta has FF fares to Iceland for 28,000 miles ad I am about to tell my DH "I'm going to Iceland. Watch the dog for me." (And I could squeeze in a HM while I'm there)

QOTD: Staying in the theoretical world of questions today. What is a bucket list type trip you would like to take? Catch here is the trip has to involve some sort of physical activity. That could be hiking, running, golfing, skiing, etc.
ATTQOTD: Probably a golf trip somewhere. If we are truly talking theoretical, I would love to play Augusta National in the early Spring. More realistic (like I would actually be able to get on the course) would be the Plantation Course at Kapalua or Pebble Beach.

Funny. So many Michiganders here in Park City.

We have some decent large hill/small mountain resorts here in the Mitten, but I have been skiing them since I was a teen and I just have to get out west someday! My two sons have been snowboarding for a few years now and my daughter has been skiing for a couple of winters, so maybe we are closer now to taking that trip, just need to convince DH - he doesn't do winter - maybe we can set him up at the bar. :drinking1

My husband wants to do the National Geographic Everest Tour. We’re making plans for him to do it in 2021/2022 most likely. It is the hike to the first base camp. I won’t allow him to go higher than that.

And to the google machine I go!

Yeah, I know. But if I'm gonna do a 70.3, it's gonna be 2019 or never so I have to leave my schedule kinda clear for that.

Womp.

Also, I don't want to train for a marathon in Louisiana in the summer. I'm dumb, but I'm no masochist.

But the weather is so nice with that 100% RH and below sea level, its just perfect for marathon training lollolololol!

This is the only trip that I have ever considered that was based around physical activity, and I am too old for it now. If you really want to do it, do it soon. I have climbed Mt McKinley, but will always regret not doing Everest.

Without much research I can find a few things getting in my way of making this happen.
1. Money - No idea what this cost actually is, but just getting over the pond cant be cheap.
2. DW would not be on board with attending as the whole outside thing, isnt her thing.
3. Vacation time... I would have to see if work would even allow me to take that much time off without firing me lol. From what I have seen its like a 12 days of hiking to and from base camp plus international travel I would need nearly 3 weeks at a minimum. So this also goes back to the money thing, I would only get paid for two weeks vacation so add another week or two of pay to save for the trip. lol

But man thats gotta be a great view once there and along the way with so many cool things to experience along the way.

I want to go somewhere that I can see the Northern Lights, and also someplace that I can see the sky without light pollution. As luck would have it, Delta has FF fares to Iceland for 28,000 miles ad I am about to tell my DH "I'm going to Iceland. Watch the dog for me." (And I could squeeze in a HM while I'm there)

Northern Lights would also be cool, but actually seem a little more realistic to happen than Everest. I've been to BFE Texas and the nights were amazing out there. I had no idea how many stars you could see at night way out there. It was amazing!

And to the google machine I go

Without much research I can find a few things getting in my way of making this happen.
1. Money - No idea what this cost actually is, but just getting over the pond cant be cheap.
2. DW would not be on board with attending as the whole outside thing, isnt her thing.
3. Vacation time... I would have to see if work would even allow me to take that much time off without firing me lol. From what I have seen its like a 12 days of hiking to and from base camp plus international travel I would need nearly 3 weeks at a minimum. So this also goes back to the money thing, I would only get paid for two weeks vacation so add another week or two of pay to save for the trip. lol

But man thats gotta be a great view once there and along the way with so many cool things to experience along the way.
!

It’s expensive. It will be about a 20 day trip with flights.

Cost would be around 11k with National Geographic between the tour, flight (there and internal), equipment, etc.

While he does that - I’ll make my mother finally visit Europe (northern Italy/Swiss Alps)

ATTQOTD: Spend 6 months exploring Australia and New Zealand. Exploring includes, but is not limited to, scuba diving, hiking, and walking and traveling by train across the interior and possibly the cruise around Australia.

I'm just gonna say ditto to this!

I have thought about running Comrades or Pike's Peak - may do either some day. But the reality - other than WDW, my vacations are not geared around these types of things.

You can easily make a vacation out of running Comrades. The Phinda game reserve is only a few hours drive north from Durban. I spent a week there after running in 2015. There aren't many better ways to recover from Comrades than a safari.

https://www.andbeyond.com/destinati...ca/kwazulu-natal/phinda-private-game-reserve/

ATTQOTD......Not sure if you said one experience or many, so I'll choose "many" in no particular order

1>Golf and Pub my way through Ireland
2>Mt. Kilimanjaro (always wanted to do this after reading about it in a Michael Crichton autobiography)
3>Sail a boat across the Pacific
4>Spend 2-3 weeks in Aust/NZ to dive and snorkel
5>Bike across the USA

ATTQOTD: My dream vacation currently is to do a dive certification course on the Great Barrier Reef. I did a beginner scuba course on a cruise a few years ago and loved it and would like to see the Great Barrier Reef in some of it's glory before we destroy it.

We’re doing my bucket list trip this summer - DCL from England to Scotland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, and Denmark.

Hoping to do a combo of biking, hiking, running, and kayaking on the trip.

Also, contemplating a short run in each port so I can say I’ve run in all those places!

A girl from a FB running group I am in, lost all her medals in the California fires that just happened and she just told us that runDisney is sending replacement medals to her for her races, her husband's races, and her daughter's races. This makes me so happy.
This reminds me of a story I read here on these boards a few years ago. A woman was around mile 12 or so of the Disneyland Half Marathon when somebody knocked her over and kept on going. This woman was unable to finish the race that she was well on her way to doing and for whatever reason did not receive a medal. Very, very sad.

Now the next day in the airport, she met a high school aged girl who had finished the race. When this girl learned about what happened, she immediately took her medal off and gave it to the woman saying that she deserved that medal. So she went home having done a wonderful thing.

But it gets better. When the student's mother contacted runDisney, they said they would take care of it. A few days later, the high school held an assembly. Unbeknownst to the girl who had given her medal to the woman who was knocked over, she was the one being honored. She was recognized for what she had done and runDisney sent a special representative to give the girl her medal. That girl truly earned the privilege of having Mickey Mouse present her with her finishers medal.

Yes, runDisney isn't perfect. But they also do a lot of good things. And that's why so many of us keep doing this.

We have some decent large hill/small mountain resorts here in the Mitten, but I have been skiing them since I was a teen and I just have to get out west someday! My two sons have been snowboarding for a few years now and my daughter has been skiing for a couple of winters, so maybe we are closer now to taking that trip, just need to convince DH - he doesn't do winter - maybe we can set him up at the bar. :drinking1
We have a microdistillery in our restaurant. We are the only one in the US where you can actually distill your own gin.

ATTQOTD: My dream vacation currently is to do a dive certification course on the Great Barrier Reef. I did a beginner scuba course on a cruise a few years ago and loved it and would like to see the Great Barrier Reef in some of it's glory before we destroy it.

The Great Barrier Reef is beautiful, but for truly spectacular diving, I'd go to the Maldives, Indonesia (Komodo or Raja Ampat), or PNG instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter