The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: While we currently don’t have a dog, we have had two beagles (Baxter and Newman). I tried running with both of them and it was horrible. They were both very lazy and felt that whatever scent they picked up deserved their attention. We are seriously considering getting a dog once marathon weekend is over!

Yesterday’s question: The best surprise swag was the Mickey ears at last years marathon. I love the finishers blanket that you get at Richmond. I keep them in the car and my kids use them all the time.

@Sleepless Knight i bet my pics above your post are giving you attack just looking at all that hair :)
The funny thing is that I'm not sure what causes the dog problem. Some breeds I can be around with no problem. I may not want them to snuggle up close to me as that can inflame allergies, but they can lie at my feet all they want. Yet other breeds are problematic simply by being in the same room as them for longer than 15 minutes. I'm not sure what the specific issue is just that it exists.

The funny thing is that I'm not sure what causes the dog problem. Some breeds I can be around with no problem. I may not want them to snuggle up close to me as that can inflame allergies, but they can lie at my feet all they want. Yet other breeds are problematic simply by being in the same room as them for longer than 15 minutes. I'm not sure what the specific issue is just that it exists.
Probably the type of fur. My husband is actually allergic to our Rhodesian it it’s mild and he’s worth it. He isn’t allergic to the Cocker spaniel’s fur but it’s more like hair than fur.

That calico is a beauty!! I'm a sucker for calicos. My Patsy looks a lot like your Bert.

Thank you! We fell in love with her immediately at the shelter. We sat down on the floor and within 2 seconds she was climbing up my lap, looking at me with that black mask and saying 'What are you waiting for? Let's go home.'

We gained a new appreciation for how pretty tabbies are. They seem kind of plain until you look at the details.

We always joke that 'Tabbies are painted by artists. Calicos are painted by kindergartners.'

Here’s a better pic:

71939A99-6B67-4A80-BA81-D6F21A7E6B80.jpeg
1. I will steal that dog in a hot minute - I LOVE Pitties!
2. Cash is a pit-boxer mix, so that obviously explains why I constantly find him like this:
View attachment 368686
3. The motto in my house:
View attachment 368687

We love pitties too. I would rescue them all if I could! Winnie is the third one we’ve rescued. She is full of character.

ATTQOTD:
Neither of my two dogs make good running companions. The cocker spaniel wants to sniff and mark every single thing that will stay still long enough for him to do so, which is not conducive to any sort of pace. The cavalier king charles spaniel is a real couch potato who, when she can arrange it, prefers to be carried from the bedroom to the kitchen. Many a time I've heard her howling in the bedroom thinking she was stuck up on the bed to find out she was on the floor, with the door wide open, nothing impeding her from

On a related note, at my last race I saw someone run the whole half marathon with their long haired dachshund. :scared1: The owner wasn't very fast, but still the legs on the poor little thing were really getting a workout. Some of us running were wondering if we should call PETA.

1. I will steal that dog in a hot minute - I LOVE Pitties!

We love pitties too. I would rescue them all if I could!

If either of you want to send me your address, I have a spare. She's black and white and her name is Panda (sorry @rteetz), Petunia, or Pit-tunia, depending who you ask.

Someone abandoned her in our neighborhood (not uncommon out in the country). She's living under a trailer we've surround with straw bales and being (over) fed by all the neighbors.

If either of you want to send me your address, I have a spare. She's black and white and her name is Panda (sorry @rteetz), Petunia, or Pit-tunia, depending who you ask.

Someone abandoned her in our neighborhood (not uncommon out in the country). She's living under a trailer we've surround with straw bales and being (over) fed by all the neighbors.

Seriously, don’t tempt me. I have puppy fever BAD.

QOTD: With dog stuff on my mind lately it's only natural that todays question will include your pet. I realize not everyone has a pet, so todays question may not pertain to you. If you have a pet that can, do you take it for runs or walks? If so how far have you gone with it?
Bucky loves running! In the summer her max is 2-3 miles but in the winter she can make it 5. I've never tried longer because that's as far as my easy runs go.

Attachments

• 006604AC-0098-488D-B0B5-A62892E6EBAE.jpeg
    006604AC-0098-488D-B0B5-A62892E6EBAE.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 19

Oh man, it's stories like this that get me in trouble! For now though we have to be a one dog family - Winnie doesn't always get along with other dogs. I hope she finds a forever home soon!

image.jpeg
Luna is the black pit/lab/hound/who-knows-what-else mix. Ginny is the retriever. She's the one that we went through a similar situations as @LSUlakes is (so sorry again) a little over a year ago. I have tried taking Luna on runs with me but she is too jerky and jumpy. If she's not dragging me down the street or after something she wants to check out, then she's trying to run directly underneath me. Ginny was the constant dragger so I never tried to take her with me.

Topic change: I have a question. What does a typical race day at Disney look like? Meaning - what should I expect, make sure I do/get, etc? I know we get up crazy early to catch the bus. But what should I be sure and check out when I get there? Characters? Make sure I visit a potty? Huddle up in the corrals?

And what about when I finish? What is the first thing I need to do after crossing the finish line? I've seen/read that there's characters; something about snack boxes; possibly pay for massages in a tent???

I'm well known for running a race, getting my medal, grabbing some water and a banana or pop tart, and then leaving. I don't want to do this if there are fun things I need to checkout first.

I want to thank everyone for your comments and stories over the last few days. I really enjoyed seeing everyone's pet picks and stories as well. Lots of smiles seeing so many happy pets! Prior to learning about whats happening to Dixie we talked about getting another dog when she passes one day and I told DW I wanted to a dog that would make me feel guilty for not taking it out for a run, and also would make life difficult if I did not. Doing research a while back I discovered just the dog. A German Shorthaired Pointer, and to specific the Liver Roan color pattern is my preference. I also liked the idea of having one in case I got back into duck hunting. A few years ago when I actually researched them a bit I also noticed the price tag for one :scared1:. It doesn't feel right to look anything up on them now so I have no idea what that market looks like though.

Our 10 month old Rhodesian Ridgeback will be a running buddy once he is old enough to start running (about 2 more months before we’ll do up to 1.5 miles with and 18 months until we go over that). We have done a lot of training with him to make sure he’s good on leash and we’re getting him used to the waist leash now so he stays to our side. I’ve also made sure that he doesn’t care about cars, bikes, airplanes flying over to keep his focus.

They are such beautiful dogs. My buddy has one and I liked it. For a few years we lived in the same neighborhood and he got his as puppy and named him Roux. He would come over to hangout and Dixie and Roux played great together. It was funny watching him grow because at first Dixie would get the better of him. As he aged Dixie couldn't hang with him anymore. Good memories! I looked into a while back and they are also great running dogs. My buddies dog seems to suffer from extreme separation anxiety, is that something you've experienced? Another funny thought. They ordered a large kennel for him, but until it came they kept him in their bathroom. They day it was delivered his wife walked into a house with water everywhere. He tore up the TP in the sink and also managed to turn the water on, which flooded a good portion of the house.

ATTQOTD: Growing up my parents were cat people and then when I got married, my wife would not allow any pets in the house. When I got divorced in 2010, I adopted/rescued my first dog - a 50ish pound lab/beagle mutt. I specifically wanted a dog that was not too big but big enough to run with. I used to take him on runs all the time as did my kids when they were home. I do not take him as much but probably should before he gets too old (he is 8 years old now). He is such a big part of our family. My kids are now away at school and when they call/face time us, they do it to see the dog, not us. They expect multiple Snapchats of him every day. And since my wife and I do not have kids of our own, he has become the proverbial fur-baby in our house.

Yes, we are “that” family that dresses our dog in matching PJ’s for Xmas pictures. This was from Xmas 2017:
View attachment 368660

I think that picture is awesome and support more of it!

ATTQOTD: While we currently don’t have a dog, we have had two beagles (Baxter and Newman). I tried running with both of them and it was horrible. They were both very lazy and felt that whatever scent they picked up deserved their attention. We are seriously considering getting a dog once marathon weekend is over!

Yesterday’s question: The best surprise swag was the Mickey ears at last years marathon. I love the finishers blanket that you get at Richmond. I keep them in the car and my kids use them all the time.

That nose gets them in trouble, those eyes and ears will melt your heart though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter